Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spider-Man predicted the gig economy hellscape we live in today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Davros1 posted:

He really sells that Clark and Supes are two different people
The bit where he contemplates telling her is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's an amazing bit of acting. Both subtle and completely in your face with how it moves along the plot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a real goddamn shame he had that accident. He could have delivered so many more amazing performances, if he had had the chance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I thought he was pretty good in the role he had in Smallville.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He rocked as the psycho guy in Deathtrap as well.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always appreciated the story of how Robin Williams was the first person to come over and make him laugh after the accident (they went to Juilliard together), and after that he realized that life was still going to be worth living. :sadwave:

Imagined has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Aug 26, 2018

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a real goddamn shame he had that accident. He could have delivered so many more amazing performances, if he had had the chance.

There's still Noises Off. He was awesome in that. I remember watching that as a kid and being blown away that he could do comedy.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Favorite little thing/unpopular movie opinion: I liked Crystal Skull a lot (except for Shia). They just updated it from 60s pulp to 70s/80s pulp, and people are mad that it wasn't exactly like the ones they watched when they were kids.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

minato posted:

The bit where he contemplates telling her is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

this is a great bit of physical acting

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Reeve's remake of Rear Window would be considered superb if only the original didn't exist.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

packetmantis posted:

Favorite little thing/unpopular movie opinion: I liked Crystal Skull a lot (except for Shia). They just updated it from 60s pulp to 70s/80s pulp, and people are mad that it wasn't exactly like the ones they watched when they were kids.

Crystal Skull has some good stuff in it. It just compares unfavorably to the first three, and nerds are awful about updates to beloved franchises.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Imagined posted:

Yeah it's the only film version that makes sense of why no one wonders why the "mild mannered reporter" is built like a brick shithouse.

A lot of the superhero movies are having to deal with the fact that someone who has a good job with a newspaper nowadays is harder to believe than superpowers. Spider Man didn't mention it at all this time.

I think if Spider-Man was updated to 2018 he'd have a GoPro and upload his daily travels around the city to YouTube or Twitch for tips

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
In the Ultimate Spider-Man series, they updated it a bit and had him working for the Bugle doing some web development :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I read that entire series and I JUST got that joke

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Regarding Lucy, the Scarlett Johanssen action movie - I saw a video that complained about her having nothing to connect to due to becoming untouchable, but there is something - she is losing her humanity, and is aware of it, so is bothered by that. One of the first things she does when in super-god-mode when given time to breathe is call her mom, then later talks to Morgan Freeman's character asking for advice on what to do with the infinite knowledge and power she is developing. She has lost her empathy, but not her understanding. She is a semi-heroic psychopath (she still doesn't even think about the civillians toward the middle of the movie, but tries to retain some humanity as she approaches practical godhood). That turning point is also close to when she completely stops killing people, even the bad guys. Also you get the feeling that by the end she's so focused on her final goal that she's suffering from simultaneous tunnelvision and overly wide thinking - she's focused on helping everyone at once by getting to one location, but doesn't see the civillians colliding with each other all around her. Empathy is something she needs to work at, and it is slipping due to that focus.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

packetmantis posted:

The scene with the monkeys is unforgivable.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I agree. Eating brains is just cruel and barbaric.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I can't even remember the monkey scene. Was it so bad that my brain rejected it?

I really liked the nuke blast. The first 15 or so minutes of the Crystal Skull was pretty good. The rest at least had Karen Allen in it so I guess it was alright.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shia swings on vines like Tarzan with some monkeys.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And a monkey with his exact haircut swings next to him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The nuke fridge was amazing and pure Indy

The monkey vines scene was one of the worst things that ever made it into a theatrical release, partially because they were in a loving Indy movie and not Sharknado IX or whatever

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My one hang up is the film should have been "Indy discovers aliens*" and not "Indy already discovered aliens* by the start of the film"

*interdimensional beings

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

The Bloop posted:

The monkey vines scene was one of the worst things that ever made it into a theatrical release, partially because they were in a loving Indy movie and not Sharknado IX or whatever

Ya people always poo poo on the fridge scene but it's no dumber than anything in the first 3 movies. I don't even mind the aliens because they're really no less believable than a cup that grants everlasting life but only in this one cave or a box that melts faces.

The whole jungle chase scene though is so unbelievably bad. Hell everything in the jungle is terrible until they get to the ancient city.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The funny thing about the fridge scene is that when people criticized the movie, Spielberg specifically pointed out that while he was never crazy about the alien mcguffin and all that, the fridge thing was his idea, not Lucas'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought the CGI gophers and monkeys had Lucas written all over them.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

minato posted:

Okay but can we talk about the staging of this scene for a second? Everything in it is inversions and watching it now I realize how awesome that is.

I haven't seen this film in like 15 years and while I remember the scene I remember nothing about its context.
We have the scene opening with Lois dominating the shot and Clark timidly taking a back seat, both looking off in similar directions. Lois' attention is out of the frame and not in the moment, Clark's is entirely on Lois.

Lois walks off camera and the shot pivots to focus on Clark in the foreground looking off camera, too, but also on the huge mirror showing where Lois goes and the rear shot of Clark as well:

We have Clark now dominating the left half of the shot while at the moment he's just standing there staring off out of the frame. He has the presence but isn't doing anything, another nod to Clark's presentation of himself. Meanwhile, all of the movement is on the right side of the shot, in the mirror with Lois walking out.

As soon as the door is shut, we see him switch over to Superman and then while dominating the frame, his movement brings the focus all to him. He's still not looking at anything directly in frame, but his conflict draws the viewer to him rather than the door that has his attention.

By staging so much of the action of the scene being seen through a mirror, the director has given extra punch to the Clark-Superman transition, and back. It also reinforces how Clark and Superman both are transfixed by Lois. He never stops gazing in her direction, even when given the primacy of position. By having him physically turned away from the visible action of the scene, too, you let his internal conflict be physically separated Lois herself by the black line of his reflection, imparting another layer of separation between Lois and the knowledge of who Clark really is.

There's a cinematographer who deserves a bonus.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I forgot if it was a podcast I was listening to or an article that was going into Superman '78,but it stated that one of the things the movie did well was capture the romantic comedy love triangle between Clark, Lois, and Superman. Singer's Superman Returns eschews that for a Clark/Lois/Richard White angle while Snyder's Man of Steel completely eliminates the love triangle by having Lois figure out that Clark is Superman.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

New Wave Jose posted:

I find it weird that the raptor don't immediately jump on him, it show it's face for 2-3 second and then jump

Not letting him get the quip out wouldn't have been clever.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Muldoon, aka, Mr They should all be destoryed aka Dinosaur Hitler? Yeah, sure, ok bud.

no, he only wanted certain kinds of dinosaurs to all be destr....hrm.

The Bloop posted:

Not gonna lie, as dumb as that was, I was enjoying myself up until that scene and thinking "maybe they'll pull it off despite his weird doddering old man knocking poo poo over persona". Then everything after the fridge happened.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya people always poo poo on the fridge scene but it's no dumber than anything in the first 3 movies. I don't even mind the aliens because they're really no less believable than a cup that grants everlasting life but only in this one cave or a box that melts faces.
Having the fridge fly through the air and bounce against the desert ruins it. Surviving an A-bomb blast is more believable that surviving an impact like that. Just have him emerge from the flaming wreckage of the fake town. Have him run into blackened smouldering manikins instead of another terrible CGI prairie dog.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The refrigerator scene is pretty much the most Indiana Jonesesque scene in the entire movie and people need to step off

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Indiana Jones survives a trip on a submerged u boat. He jumps out of a plane on an inflatable raft and rides it down a mountain. Who fuckin cares about the refrigerator.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Also the refrigerator+nuclear test site was the DeLorean+lightning strike of the first draft of Back To The Future.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Also the refrigerator+nuclear test site was the DeLorean+lightning strike of the first draft of Back To The Future.

What, "everything after this is a dying dream"?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Smiling Jack posted:

Indiana Jones survives a trip on a submerged u boat. He jumps out of a plane on an inflatable raft and rides it down a mountain. Who fuckin cares about the refrigerator.

Mythbusters proved the raft thing was doable, and U Boats would ride on top of the water if there were no threats.
Nothing Indy ever did violated the laws of physics like the fridge scene. As someone above posted, had the fridge not flown through the air and just been knocked over by the blast, I would have been perfectly okay with it, because that scene of him getting out of the fridge with the mushroom cloud behind him is loving gorgeous.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

So, face melting Arks, Holy Grails, a man having his heart pulled from his chest and it's still beating are all perfectly fine, but a flying fridge (that should have killed him, yes) is where you draw the line?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

So, face melting Arks, Holy Grails, a man having his heart pulled from his chest and it's still beating are all perfectly fine, but a flying fridge (that should have killed him, yes) is where you draw the line?

If it was explicitly a magic fridge, forged from the shards of Excalibur, then yeah, I'd be okay with it being as unrealistic as those.

Also the gunpowder scene was awful. Magnetic stuff doesn't work that way, and gunpowder isn't even magnetic.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If it was explicitly a magic fridge, forged from the shards of Excalibur, then yeah, I'd be okay with it being as unrealistic as those.

I've never gotten why the fridge scene bugged people. It's the kind of pulpy poo poo that Indiana Jones is made of; it's so patently ridiculous, it's not worth getting upset about. Besides, that fridge was high grade lead, made in America in the 50s (Crystal Skull was 50s, right?), so it's a very solid, high quality piece of work.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Leavemywife posted:

Kind of. Yeah. Because the face melting Arks, Holy Grail and a sacrificial ceremony are all finales. The films have respectively built up to those moments, they're a culmination of all the action and adventure that has come before it and there, at the peak of the film the story pushes the magic of discovery even further and reveals that hey! Magic is real! You didn't think things could get any more exciting, but everything is cranked up to 11.

If the fridge thing had come later in the film I think people might have bought it easier... maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He actually gets in the U-Boat.