Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Agree strongly, there's a lot of play to be had, I side in eidolon of rhetoric against u/w miracles and I am a big fan of how that has been working out for me. Plus sometimes the u/w deck just folds to T2 geist

Edit: my friend is bringing this pile to two PPTQ's this weekend (after watching it handily demolish a pptq last week) https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1267317#paper

spicy

I saw a version of the deck running Tez. Maybe add in some black and then instead of having to gently caress around with rivulet you can play nephalia drownyard?

edit: the full four tolaria west to get chalices and EEs, a loving The Immortal Sun to shut off Teferi and Jace in the UW matchup. what a delight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

All right, so we were spitballing in the Discord channel about dumb permission decks and I had a terrible idea and should be stabbed to death in an alley for it: Sultai Faeries.

Something like Noble Hierarch or Birds of Paradise, Spellstutter Sprite, Bitterblossom, Vendilion Clique, Mistbind Clique, and perhaps Tasigur or Gurmag Angler or Tarmogoyf. Run the usual suspects for spells in those colors with Liliana of the Veil or Liliana, the Last Hope, Thoughtaeizr, Logic Knot, Cryptic Command, Abrupt Decay, and Maelstrom Pulse.

I kind of alluded to this there but BUG midrange is already kind of fringe compared to its red and white siblings, and I don't know that faerie tribal is what it needs to compete when you have access to creatures Goyf, Snapcaster Mage, ScOoze, and the delve creatures (or Bob if you want to run it over the delve cards). I think stuff like Clique and Bitterblossom would slot into BUG midrange nicely but I would have to see Spellstutter and Mistbind in action before deciding if it's worth it for that deck to lean into the faerie interactions. Or you could lean too far and it become UB Faeries (also kind of fringe) with a green splash for Goyf and some removal, which also sounds a little off.

Do you have an idea for a list with numbers?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

All right, so we were spitballing in the Discord channel about dumb permission decks and I had a terrible idea and should be stabbed to death in an alley for it: Sultai Faeries.

Something like Noble Hierarch or Birds of Paradise, Spellstutter Sprite, Bitterblossom, Vendilion Clique, Mistbind Clique, and perhaps Tasigur or Gurmag Angler or Tarmogoyf. Run the usual suspects for spells in those colors with Liliana of the Veil or Liliana, the Last Hope, Thoughtaeizr, Logic Knot, Cryptic Command, Abrupt Decay, and Maelstrom Pulse.

Don't run discard and counter in modern. It doesn't work. One or the other.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don't run discard and counter in modern. It doesn't work. One or the other.

How do you feel about Grixis Shadow

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I woke up last night in a cold sweat because I remembered from this thread that there is some sicko out there putting Jester's Cap into play with a whir of invention

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I woke up last night in a cold sweat because I remembered from this thread that there is some sicko out there putting Jester's Cap into play with a whir of invention

Counterpoint: milling someone out by taking cards from within their deck rather than off the top is some galaxy brain poo poo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

My friend made a legacy deck once with that Gravestorm card that Caps the opponent for 1 card. It all fell apart when I pointed out that lands that you Second Sunrise into play don't keep the sac for a B from Rain of Filth.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

How do you feel about Grixis Shadow

Let's see... Since I actually play that deck it has 3 stubby D's that cost 1 and act as hard counters 75% of the time. Sideboard you have situational hard counters for 1 or 2. That's more in line with legacy tempo/disruption than cryptic command. Two totally different scenarios.

Discard and counter work in legacy because 8 counters are 0 casting cost basically. You can run discard and still keep counters up. Modern isn't really the same with it's counter suite.

I can see that deck running things in the SB like dispel or rejection for targetted denial but maindecking expensive counters along with discard and LotV just doesn't work.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

My god, :yeshaha:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I just watched him whir for jesters cap and get 3 valakuts in response to a scapeshift.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

I just watched him whir for jesters cap and get 3 valakuts in response to a scapeshift.

This is amazing and also hysterical that it's 1600 bucks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Savage

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mezzanon posted:

This is loving art.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Update: he jesters capped his opponent on ponza and took fracturing gust, pia and kiran nalaar And chandra then played ghirapur aether grid and his opponent conceded.

Also we both missed top 8 on breakers.

I had an opponent lose a G3 to me when he had a worship out at 1 life by fetching

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

People forget that Worship doesn't stop you from losing the game. I've seen people die to fetches, Deathrite, Horizon Canopy, even Vapor Snag.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

so this was the disturbance in the Force that caused him to shuffle off this earth last night......

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played a couple PPTQ's this weekend, absolutely demolished humans, KCI, and the mirror (bant spirits) all day.

Lost a win and in for top 8 to elves where my opponent beat humans R1 of top 8 and then immediately conceded to his next humans opponent because he had a fantasy football draft lol.

So far my only losses in these tournaments have been to people who top 4. I feel like I'm the PPTQ gatekeeper lol.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Played a couple PPTQ's this weekend, absolutely demolished humans, KCI, and the mirror (bant spirits) all day.

Lost a win and in for top 8 to elves where my opponent beat humans R1 of top 8 and then immediately conceded to his next humans opponent because he had a fantasy football draft lol.

So far my only losses in these tournaments have been to people who top 4. I feel like I'm the PPTQ gatekeeper lol.

It sucks. I'd rather be last than be 9th place. Last year it became a running joke because I missed top 8 at two or three pptq's in a row on breakers hitting 9th place, and then we went to the Atlanta regionals and got 9th again on breakers. Getting so close and then always missing it is worse than just doing bad and shrugging it off to me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I got 12th at the biggest vintage tournament ever held. My losses were both to absurd variance on top of mulligans. The difference in prizes from 9-16 and 4-8 was like, a 4x multiplier. I feel your pain.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It sucks. I'd rather be last than be 9th place. Last year it became a running joke because I missed top 8 at two or three pptq's in a row on breakers hitting 9th place, and then we went to the Atlanta regionals and got 9th again on breakers. Getting so close and then always missing it is worse than just doing bad and shrugging it off to me.

A guy on our team is called "bubble boy" becausehe constantly gets 9th place at high level tournaments.

Interesting play of the weekend: I had an opponent on humans cast riders of gavony at me

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

how the gently caress did I not know this card is in modern

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tim Raines IRL posted:

how the gently caress did I not know this card is in modern

Because its only Modern-legal reprint us in Ninth Edition and no one plays it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Interesting play of the weekend: I had an opponent on humans cast riders of gavony at me

i believe this is called "getting got"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

i believe this is called "getting got"

I coco'd in response (hoping for spell queller) but hit drogskol captain and NOBLE HIERARCH (airhorn) instead.

Noble chumped so I did not die and I swung for lethal next turn.

But yeah, I almost got got.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
lol what matchups other than spirits is it worth wasting a sideboard slot on for riders? Nobody plays merfolk or goblins. Are they hoping to bring it in against the low threat count decks like shadow and name avatar or something?

Riders of Gavony did get banned in the local favorite format, "bad tribal" because knights were winning way too much with it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Star Man posted:

Because its only Modern-legal reprint us in Ninth Edition and no one plays it.

I wanted to run off and buy a foil, but urgh that art is awful. I would take a foil of the Ice Age for $8 any day.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I wanted to run off and buy a foil, but urgh that art is awful. I would take a foil of the Ice Age for $8 any day.

That art is so bad it's good. Looks like an awkward photo from a halloween party.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like the Ninth Edition illustration :ohdear:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 27, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

lol what matchups other than spirits is it worth wasting a sideboard slot on for riders? Nobody plays merfolk or goblins. Are they hoping to bring it in against the low threat count decks like shadow and name avatar or something?

Riders of Gavony did get banned in the local favorite format, "bad tribal" because knights were winning way too much with it.

The guy said he was running it as a fun-of in the main because he was expecting a lot of the humans mirror, spirits, and he had a lot of meerfolk and elves in his local meta.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

The guy said he was running it as a fun-of in the main because he was expecting a lot of the humans mirror, spirits, and he had a lot of meerfolk and elves in his local meta.

A humans mirror breaker, sure why not. How'd your buddy do with his frankenstein whir lock deck? Honestly if I had opals I'd throw some version of that together myself.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

A humans mirror breaker, sure why not. How'd your buddy do with his frankenstein whir lock deck? Honestly if I had opals I'd throw some version of that together myself.

3-1-1 day one
3-3 day two

I'll see how it turns out at modern Monday today.

He says the deck is really sweet and super fun, but also exhausting to play. And he switched out the eternal sun for a defense grid

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

He says the deck is really sweet and super fun, but also exhausting to play. And he switched out the eternal sun for a defense grid

i'm off it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If anyone is looking for cheap Modern decks for FNM or to get people into the game/format, SO is going back and doing updates for all of his Budget Magic decks from the past few years. Some neat stuff in here if you're into this sort of thing.

D: Thought I posted this in the main MtG thread but whatever.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 28, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I respect that.

Went to modern Monday today with bant spirits went 4-0
Bant spirits 2-1
Kci 2-0
Kci 2-0
Hollow one 2-0

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

C-Euro posted:

If anyone is looking for cheap Modern decks for FNM or to get people into the game/format, SO is going back and doing updates for all of his Budget Magic decks from the past few years. Some neat stuff in here if you're into this sort of thing.

This is very timely for me as I was thinking of making a budget UW Spirits deck to play in paper. How crucial are Aether Vials? I am just looking for something to play in paper occasionally.

Here is an example list of what I was considering (probably should look at Seachrome Coasts and Aether Vials as next upgrades):

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1295677#online

Yoked fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 28, 2018

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
This is technically an eternal question I guess. No banlist format where the only restriction (outside of normal mtg restrictions) is that your list has to be under $25 TCG market price.

I've already designed a kind of janky worldgorger deck. Can anyone think of anything else that might be good in that range?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Yoked posted:

This is very timely for me as I was thinking of making a budget UW Spirits deck to play in paper. How crucial are Aether Vials? I am just looking for something to play in paper occasionally.

Here is an example list of what I was considering (probably should look at Seachrome Coasts and Aether Vials as next upgrades):

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1295677#online

Spirits badly wants to be ahead to win races and force the opponent to play into it's blowouts. However, its creatures are all have subpar rates in terms of raw stats, so the deck relies on some kind of accelerant to put itself in the position it needs. These are Vials for U/W and Hierarchs for Bant.

Without one or the other, the deck will struggle to keep up with the format or even just make productive plays on turn one since Wanderer is your only playable one drop spirit.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hey guys, I'm cashing out of 95% of my legacy and modern stuff. I will be adding a post to the buy/sell thread with an Excel sheet soon but I just wanted the people here to know in case anyone needs anything.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey guys, I'm cashing out of 95% of my legacy and modern stuff. I will be adding a post to the buy/sell thread with an Excel sheet soon but I just wanted the people here to know in case anyone needs anything.

If you have any D&T stuff I'm in the market for a few last pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Errant Gin Monks posted:

On the extremely off chance you have any German FBB seas I'm in the market for a couple.