Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Dex helps some with missing notes and Cha helps some with charm resists and vendor sell prices, but largely bards are really not gear dependent aside from your instruments. The difference between being in full cloth armor and full fine steel doesn't really mean a lot to you. If you're swarm kiting and something catches up to you, you're getting bash stunned and then two dozen things catch up with you and trample your rear end in the dirt no matter what your gear looks like. If you get some cash or someone willing to twink you, look to pick up cheap things with +hp, +dex, +cha, and +strength (for carry weight, platemail is obnoxiously heavy) roughly in that order. A dragoon dirk to throw in your range slot is worthwhile. See if someone will drag you to lower guk for a Mask of Deception. Drake Hide Leggings will be your jam. Any of the +hp crafted jewelry will be the thing you want.

Excellent! I"m only level 15 but I'm slowly working my way up. I am digging it though its a nice change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

The only thing lovely about bard is you can't really talk in group to show people how much h of a garbage person you are :(((

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The only thing lovely about bard is you can't really talk in group to show people how much h of a garbage person you are :(((

Yeah this too. Like I was trying to talk a bit but you lose that rhythm and setting things back up takes at least 9 seconds so its just easier to keep button mashing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Same with being a good active chain puller. Get on voice chat or you basically never get to communicate outside of macros.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Same with being a good active chain puller. Get on voice chat or you basically never get to communicate outside of macros.

That would be so weird. Group text chat is such a fundamental part of my experience with the game, it's hard to imagine not being able to do it without huge efficiency drops.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's too bad every other mmo is so boring with their designs. i don't think anything comes close to eq in how interesting a lot of the classes work - especially bard and enchanter.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I enjoyed the utility play style a lot but every other game is just about max dps to the point of forcing healers to switch once content is slightly trivial, for example.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's too bad every other mmo is so boring with their designs. i don't think anything comes close to eq in how interesting a lot of the classes work - especially bard and enchanter.

Speaking of which, what's the latest with Pantheon? I hope they are still trucking along and not stuck in dev hell? Anybody been following that project closer?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Final Fantasy XI was basically Japanese Everquest, and it had fantastic classes and even more of them than EQ. It was also loving hard, just like EQ. And it was a massive, massive grind just like EQ, and mostly consisted of camping with a party. And just like EQ's boats that you had to sit and do nothing for 30 minutes on, FFXI had airships that took 30 minutes to get you from place to place. It had way more story than EQ though, which was cool.

WoW started kinda like EQ but its a completely different game at this point. Another thing about wow that's both good and bad is they're constantly redesigning the classes, even at a fundamental level. If there's a sub-class/spec you really like playing, odds are it won't be in the game after an expansion or two.

And these days we don't even get MMOs anymore really, we've got things like Destiny and Division. And Destiny has all of 3 classes, which are pretty identical. :v: You could do better though, its not that it isn't an mmo that makes the classes bad, just... Bungie doesn't know RPG stuff the way they know FPS stuff.

E: I would love something like project1999 for Final Fantasy XI. The servers are still up, but the player counts are so extremely low that everybody plays on a single server and even then, you can't group in whatever zone is your level so everybody goes to a SINGLE zone and forms one giant raid party and just grinds on these one enemies all day long. Its really slow XP but its the only way you can play now since there's not enough people to group at each level, so its just totally hosed. I guess maybe most of the people still playing at are the level cap already and just doing end-game stuff. I know there was work to make a FFXI private server but I don't know how far it got, I remember PlayOnline making it hard to connect.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 18, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Final Fantasy XI was basically Japanese Everquest, and it had fantastic classes and even more of them than EQ. It was also loving hard, just like EQ. And it was a massive, massive grind just like EQ, and mostly consisted of camping with a party. And just like EQ's boats that you had to sit and do nothing for 30 minutes on, FFXI had airships that took 30 minutes to get you from place to place. It had way more story than EQ though, which was cool.

WoW started kinda like EQ but its a completely different game at this point. Another thing about wow that's both good and bad is they're constantly redesigning the classes, even at a fundamental level. If there's a sub-class/spec you really like playing, odds are it won't be in the game after an expansion or two.

And these days we don't even get MMOs anymore really, we've got things like Destiny and Division. And Destiny has all of 3 classes, which are pretty identical. :v: You could do better though, its not that it isn't an mmo that makes the classes bad, just... Bungie doesn't know RPG stuff the way they know FPS stuff.

E: I would love something like project1999 for Final Fantasy XI. The servers are still up, but the player counts are so extremely low that everybody plays on a single server and even then, you can't group in whatever zone is your level so everybody goes to a SINGLE zone and forms one giant raid party and just grinds on these one enemies all day long. Its really slow XP but its the only way you can play now since there's not enough people to group at each level, so its just totally hosed. I guess maybe most of the people still playing at are the level cap already and just doing end-game stuff. I know there was work to make a FFXI private server but I don't know how far it got, I remember PlayOnline making it hard to connect.

There's a 100% functional 2002 era FFXI server called Nasomi that consistently has about as many players as p99, it's also relatively old and has a very established economy and a good number of level 75 players

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frog Act posted:

There's a 100% functional 2002 era FFXI server called Nasomi that consistently has about as many players as p99, it's also relatively old and has a very established economy and a good number of level 75 players

poo poo, I gotta get me on that then I guess.

E: It looks like I've been to their site before, I think I tried to connect but had issues or something

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I'm thinking of coming back to this with my SHM; I think I was pretty close to 50 last time I stopped.

How hard is it to get the last steps of the epic now? It's a drop in Fear off an Iksar Broodling, and last I played it was impossible to get this if you weren't part of the top two guilds, since they were camping all the big drops every time they spawn. Is this still an issue?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo, I gotta get me on that then I guess.

E: It looks like I've been to their site before, I think I tried to connect but had issues or something

I got it working with no trouble earlier this year, it was all very straightforward

I'd like to keep playing but I'm stuck trying to run to Jeuno and have no idea how to get there without dying and gettting sucked back to Valkurm for the third time to try the walk again. I still really want to hit 30 and unlock bard, though. I love grouping I just hate trying to get to the zone

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I got it working with no trouble earlier this year, it was all very straightforward

I'd like to keep playing but I'm stuck trying to run to Jeuno and have no idea how to get there without dying and gettting sucked back to Valkurm for the third time to try the walk again. I still really want to hit 30 and unlock bard, though. I love grouping I just hate trying to get to the zone

Hah, you in Sandy then? I've done the Sandy-Jeuno run a million times.

Hit some issues but managed to find workarounds and logged in. But then I remembered how rough FFXI can be lol. Probably grab a few levels.

La theine
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ffxi/images/1/1f/Latheine-plateau.png/revision/latest?cb=20081030170438

To Jugner
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ffxi/images/e/e1/JugnerForest.png/revision/latest?cb=20081021004021

To Batallia
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ffxi/images/d/d0/Batallia-downs.png/revision/latest?cb=20081021001442

Its a long run, it was pretty brutal the first time. But once you get to Batallia you're pretty much there.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2018

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Post a link to get this going....I need another addiction.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

SoUr posted:

I'm thinking of coming back to this with my SHM; I think I was pretty close to 50 last time I stopped.

How hard is it to get the last steps of the epic now? It's a drop in Fear off an Iksar Broodling, and last I played it was impossible to get this if you weren't part of the top two guilds, since they were camping all the big drops every time they spawn. Is this still an issue?

Yeah it's still an issue. Basically you need to pony up 80k or hit 60 and join a decent raid guild that does fear on earthquakes or regularly.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

SoUr posted:

I just did this for a friend; there's Tears for sale for what we initially thought would be 60k, but it seems like they are 75k. We posted on the forums to find a seller. You need a kill force for the Reavers in CoM and have max faction with the spirits, but all in all both those things are fairly easy.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I remember I maxed my faction as part of a prev step, I spent a lot of time in CoM; I just didn't have the $$$ or the time to guild with these poopsockers. How long does it take to build up 75k?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

SoUr posted:

I remember I maxed my faction as part of a prev step, I spent a lot of time in CoM; I just didn't have the $$$ or the time to guild with these poopsockers. How long does it take to build up 75k?

Took us a couple of weeks, mixing straight plat farming, item farming and selling crafted items. Can't say how long it would take anyone to raise any amount, though. Depends on how much time you want to invest and what kind of content you can reliably farm.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
That's the ballpark I was looking for. I'll give farming a try.

We still have a goon guild here?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yep, Unknown Guild, but hopping in discord is the easiest way to get in touch with active goons.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Fear golems are now considered raid mobs since like two months ago and the main guy who lead the team hoarding them all beforehand got banned for RMT so getting a tear is (relatively) more reasonable now. You still gotta be in a raiding guild but it's like 5 choices of guilds I guess now at least.

The main guilds who get golems lately are tempest, paradigm shift, and azure guard. Aftermath occasionally gets them on CT repops too.

I dunno if any guild in particular goes to fear regularly right at eartquakes, but the top guilds usually don't make it around to fear for like 2-3 hours after quakes, until most velious targets are dead.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I'm going through the process of rerolling my Shadow Knight as an Iksar and want to do the Dreadscale quests, for fun. I'm realizing that dragging a level 1 iksar around to loot the no drop stuff would be a logistical nightmare so I figure "hey, maybe I can do the quest on my enchanter and just trade off the armor when it's finished." I haven't been able to find anything about guards or anything that sees through illusions in Cab and I've had success moving to Vessel Drozlin in the past with Illusion: Iksar on. Anyone have an insight on whether I'm going to get creamed attempting to do the hand ins in this way?

EDIT: Upon further review, I find that the GMs in the Sham/SK area can see through illusions pretty effectively, as can most GMs. So that's out.

Fangthane fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2018

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Thanks for the fun in SolB last night, Caiu.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I enjoyed it, too.

Playing a solo ranger in open zones is one thing, but I was the shittiest of tank/healers in the group.

On the other hand, a 47 Ranger survived bats and bugs in a trio for nearly an hour before yakety saxing my way to an early bedtime.

A++, would play again.

P.S. Magi Rokyl was up.

Solid adventure in the record books.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I know rangers are total poo poo but I still want to get back to leveling mine. They have a special place in my heart.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I love my ranger, he is by far my favorite character. He needs too much love/plat to stay viable though at 57.

That said, anyone up for doing +6 dragons this weekend? My monk needs a necklace, and I'm too poor to afford one right now. Can bring a 60 warrior, 58 cleric, or 57 monk.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Siets posted:

Speaking of which, what's the latest with Pantheon? I hope they are still trucking along and not stuck in dev hell? Anybody been following that project closer?

They have stuff and an actual playable demo, but some of the stuff they are talking about sounds like DAWN where they were promising the world.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Pratan posted:

I love my ranger, he is by far my favorite character. He needs too much love/plat to stay viable though at 57.

That said, anyone up for doing +6 dragons this weekend? My monk needs a necklace, and I'm too poor to afford one right now. Can bring a 60 warrior, 58 cleric, or 57 monk.

That sounds fun.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I have a baby ranger level 27.

She has a full suit of tigeraptor hide, wurmslayer, velium swiftblade, wrapped velium bow.

And she hits like a truck.

In other news I completed the VP key question this morning after 7 hours of camping Pained Soul from 2 am to 9 am.

Someday my dream of grey suede boots will come true.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Good times were had in Sebilis, Kaesora, and The Hole this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who made it out and put up with my buffoonery.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I was in the Hole with some random aftermath peeps on Saturday, we did a trio at town entrance. Was an amazing time, great exp and decent loot.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Is there anything I can quad as a 34 druid and still make at least some plat? I'm tired of leveling on stuff that gives zero money/loot and I'm broke as poo poo after my 34 spells.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Is there anything I can quad as a 34 druid and still make at least some plat? I'm tired of leveling on stuff that gives zero money/loot and I'm broke as poo poo after my 34 spells.

Maybe Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains? I'm not sure if 34 is quite high enough to be consistent with landing spells on them, but they drop a lot of plat.

It was a popular spot even on Red though so I don't know how much luck you'll have doing it on Blue. Multiple people can kill poo poo there though assuming some high level isn't kiting all of the spawns.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

insider posted:

Quad in Overthere and sell ports in between pulls. Also makes it easy to find C2/PoTG due to the amount of traffic in the zone.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

faulteroy posted:

Quad in Overthere and sell ports in between pulls. Also makes it easy to find C2/PoTG due to the amount of traffic in the zone.

Didn't think about this. Where is the general pick up spot in OT for ports since I'm KOS at the docks?

Rathe giants seemed camped always.

insider fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 28, 2018

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

insider posted:

Didn't think about this. Where is the general pick up spot in OT for ports since I'm KOS at the docks?

Rathe giants seemed camped always.

The Ramp to Skyfire. Bind just inside the ramp and you should be fine.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Dwarves in butcher's block?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Anyone got a drums of the beast for sale?
Also any spare coldain ring crafting materials?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What's better as a level 52 Bard?:

Chant of Battle (lvl 1 STR Song) + Verses of Victory (Lvl 50 Haste song)

or

McVaxius' Bezerker Crescendo (Lvl 42 STR + Haste song) + McVaxius' Horn of War (140% Brass enhance)

This is the p99 page:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bard/Songs