Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Do depression drugs (ie the ones that probably could use it the most, or maybe like insulin) not have those ‘you’ll never pay more than $25/mo after insurance’ deals from the drug manufacturer? I’ve been on several GI drugs that had those. My doctor gave the cards to me, but they were also available online from the drug maker.

A bunch of SSRI's do, especially the generic ones that have been around forever. Even without insurance (I got friends without any) they wind up being real cheap, but doctors tend to love pushing special new bullshit instead of just throwing old tried and true stuff at the patient and only switching to the fancy expensive stuff if that doesn't work for whatever reason (usually cuz it causes side effects you don't want, like any drug could)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh one thing to note if y'all ever do get on SSRI's - once you've been taking them for a bit, you cannot just instantly stop taking them, you get these horrible intermittent headache-things. Generally it's fine if you miss one or two doses, but by the third or fourth day without em' you get the headaches. You can generally switch between different SSRI's without problems but if you need to discontinue them entirely what you generally do is just take a half dose for a week, a quarter dose for a week etc.

Don't let this discourage you, the benefits far outweigh the hassle imo - definitely one of the main things that saved my loving life back when I was falling apart.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I always thought those SSRI headzap withdraws felt exactly like the poison effect looks when you walk around in final fantasy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

g0lbez posted:

I always thought those SSRI headzap withdraws felt exactly like the poison effect looks when you walk around in final fantasy

Yeah that's a good comparison lol

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fight, fight always samey.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Solar Coaster posted:

"minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage; if you want more money, get a new job." - I have had this told me verbatim before. There's a lot of people who truly believe that min wage and living wage are different.

"why ain't you a billionaire loving supermodels in tahiti then, shitforbrains?"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You haven't even started kidnapping or killing rich moguls yet.

Lame.

I thought you were good at revolutions, America

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Clawtopsy posted:

how has nobody killed bezos yet btw

like its apparently super easy in america to shoot up a school, cant one of you channel it into bob iger or somethin

Probably because he Amazon spends a small fortune on personal security

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zzulu posted:

You haven't even started kidnapping or killing rich moguls yet.

Lame.

No we’re not, we only had the one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zzulu posted:

Kings that obtain all their wealth and power through inheritance and own everything and everyone and constantly compete with each other to become the biggest bestest king even if everyone under them suffers are very different from tycoons.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I mean, I’m—dear amazon secret service this is a joke—pretty sure you could if you really put your mind to it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Why hasn't anyone though?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Because everyone has been tricked into the idea that they could get there too.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Because we're conditioned not to put on the loving glasses

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The various state and federal regulations designed to make gun ownership as onerous as possible ensure that the American public remains weak, powerless, and entirely incapable of armed insurrection

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thanks. I can't remember what he was trying to prescribe me, but I do remember that it would have cost entirely too much as it wasn't on the list of price-controlled prescriptions. I could have afforded it, but it'd have left me nearly broke so if something happened I'd be hosed, so I'm just gonna deal with my broken brain as best I can.

CAPITALISM~♪♪♪

Well it's entirely possible to treat depression without medication. I know because I do it! I have moderate-severe depression/anxiety and for ~reasons~ strongly refuse medication. Well, that's not entirely true, I smoke weed as (not-quite)-prescribed by my therapist.

Anyway here's a list of changes I've made to my lifestyle to treat depression without medication: smoke weed every day :snoop:; strong sleep routine (never press snooze, in bed at the same time as often as possible, etc); regular exercise (in the winter it's daily) (I find anabolic exercise has a greater impact on my overall wellbeing than catabolic); vegetarian diet; no caffeine; cold showers; limited use of habit forming social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram); weekly talk therapy. Ideally meditation would be on that list but I find it hard to stick to, I'll give putting it in my routine another try (again) soon. I also make a strong effort to not isolate myself as much as possible, I try to have something to do every day. Here's some stuff I do for inspiration: weekly Dungeons and Dragons, weekly darts, free weekly class at the community center. I always try to have one or a few things to do on the weekend - Sunday I went to a sculpture garden and then a soccer match - make sure you're doing stuff outside and with other people.

Basically it's a whole bunch of work, lifestyle changes, and commitment. But I don't have depressive or anxious thoughts anymore, or failing that I can cope with them well enough to not impact my day to day, with the added bonus of doing a bunch of stuff that is healthy for everyone everywhere even if they don't have badbrains. Good luck!

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Aug 28, 2018

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The commentators are at it again. This time they're Irish!

quote:

The tax regime also favours couples. Consider two people, male or female, one of whom is single, and the other married or in a civil partnership. The single person is earning a comfortable €100,000, and is paying an effective rate of tax (ie the rate they pay when tax credits/allowances, etc, are taken into account) of 38.8 per cent on their earnings. That means they give up €38,801 in income tax, universal social charge and PRSI every year.

The gap is even greater for those on a lower income. Take a person earning €50,000. On an effective rate of 27 per cent, that single person will pay some €538,000 in tax over 40 years. Their married friend, on the other hand, who together with their spouse earns a similar amount, will pay about half of that, about €253,000, thanks to an effective tax rate of just 12.7 per cent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/singletons-in-ireland-pay-high-price-for-their-marital-status-1.3608980

Pretty depressing stuff overall.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/news/a9234/jeff-bezos-house-washington-dc/

So it looks like Bezos has started renovating the house he bought in DC a while back. I hope this doesn't mean that HQ2 is going to be in the NOVA/MD/DC area.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Well it's entirely possible to treat depression without medication. I know because I do it! I have moderate-severe depression/anxiety and for ~reasons~ strongly refuse medication. Well, that's not entirely true, I smoke weed as (not-quite)-prescribed by my therapist.

Anyway here's a list of changes I've made to my lifestyle to treat depression without medication: smoke weed every day :snoop:; strong sleep routine (never press snooze, in bed at the same time as often as possible, etc); regular exercise (in the winter it's daily) (I find anabolic exercise has a greater impact on my overall wellbeing than catabolic); vegetarian diet; no caffeine; cold showers; limited use of habit forming social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram); weekly talk therapy. Ideally meditation would be on that list but I find it hard to stick to, I'll give putting it in my routine another try (again) soon. I also make a strong effort to not isolate myself as much as possible, I try to have something to do every day. Here's some stuff I do for inspiration: weekly Dungeons and Dragons, weekly darts, free weekly class at the community center. I always try to have one or a few things to do on the weekend - Sunday I went to a sculpture garden and then a soccer match - make sure you're doing stuff outside and with other people.

Basically it's a whole bunch of work, lifestyle changes, and commitment. But I don't have depressive or anxious thoughts anymore, or failing that I can cope with them well enough to not impact my day to day, with the added bonus of doing a bunch of stuff that is healthy for everyone everywhere even if they don't have badbrains. Good luck!

Impressive work! Two questions: how long have you been benefiting from this lifestyle? And have you taken any significant departures from these choices (for any reason, maybe you went traveling for two weeks or just ran out of energy to keep it up, for example) that caused a noticeable return in anxious thoughts?

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

Powershift posted:

Don't forget "I only make $13/hour as a paramedic, why do fast food workers deserve more than me" :downs:

I remember back when I lived in London, during a tube strike there was a letter to one of the free newspapers to the effect of "This is so unreasonable, why should they get to strike, I'm a nurse and I'm not even allowed to strike, so why should they? Also train drivers are already well-paid and I'm treated like dirt so it's not fair and they don't deserve it!" Which, just...

1) You absolutely are allowed to strike, you fool.
2) They're well-paid because they have an organised and active union, you buffon, you piss.
3) The strikes aren't usually about pay, you colossal fuckwit.
4) Don't drag other people down because you're unhappy, you giant steaming bag of poo poo.

The awful irony is that when the junior doctors went on strike the RMT (the tube drivers' union) went out in support of them.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

The funny thing is one of the mods who messaged me threatened to ban me. Like... were they afraid of ghost-postin'?

Still, I'm gonna try to keep it together. And even if I was gonna kill myself, I wouldn't take anyone with me -- as much as I love the idea of the guillotine, I don't have it in me to take a human life.

Except mine, if I don't try to keep it together.

Why are you just sitting around and posting all the time? If you say you're going to go through with something why don't you you do it. Oh wait you are clearly a big pussy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nirvikalpa posted:

Why are you just sitting around and posting all the time? If you say you're going to go through with something why don't you you do it. Oh wait you are clearly a big pussy.

Can we not make posts like these even as a joke, please?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/news/a9234/jeff-bezos-house-washington-dc/

So it looks like Bezos has started renovating the house he bought in DC a while back. I hope this doesn't mean that HQ2 is going to be in the NOVA/MD/DC area.

I have a feeling its going to end up where White Flint mall used to be in Rockville/North Bethesda.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nirvikalpa posted:

Wtf

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nirvikalpa posted:

gently caress off

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm sorry, you have the wrong address. The rehab center for compulsive, constant poo poo-eating is two doors down.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nirvikalpa posted:

nice melt down gently caress up

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Elman posted:

Can we not make posts like these even as a joke, please?

Then they should got to en instead of a gbs thread about capitalism.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Don't forget "I only make $13/hour as a paramedic, why do fast food workers deserve more than me" :downs:
An old co-worker of mine used to say something kind of like this, but worse in a way. He didn't support a 15/hr minimum wage because he didn't think McDonald's workers should be entitled to half his wage. He said he deserved to make 3 times what they do at least. He really pegged his worth to what he made vs minimum wage.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Powershift posted:

It's a good question, I'm excited to hear what your response is

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's always worth pointing out that if it weren't for Nokia and Pace being hosed over by the aftermath of the dotcom crash Sugar would be completely penniless. He drove Amstrad into the ground chasing useless bullshit like the Em@iler (all you need to know about it is told by that @ in the middle of the name) and Sky had to step in and buy him out because they faced the prospect of losing all three of their STB manufacturers just at the time they were trying to ramp up HD.

Of course the only reason Amstrad even made it as far as the dotcom crash is the bullshit he pulled on the Premiership rights deals. Sky managed to put in a bid for the first Premiership TV deal that just beat ITV, something that had nothing at all to do with Sugar being both the main seller of STBs to Sky and also the chairman of Spurs and hence having knowledge of all three bids.

What I'm saying is that Alan Sugar hasn't managed to make a business decision that was both profitable and not complete luck or fraudulent since he started making cheap HiFis in the 80s - that he's still held up as some titan of industry is probably a bit more on-the-nose than people realise.

Interesting! I don't know much about his actual businesses, just that he is very obviously a garbage person (insists on being called Lord Sugar and when a contestant from his repellent show died (not because of the show!) he sent a wreath that actually was actually signed Lord Sugar) and the fact that he could get multiple series of The Apprentice on at prime time is reason enough to bring on the inevitable nuclear war. I suppose revolution would be preferable but I'm busy on the internet.

Right now my only weapon is to always call him Alan Sugar on the rare occasions I end up in a conversation about him.

Yeah, ALAN!!!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah and you should go to 4chan instead of telling people to kill themselves in SA, but life's not perfect.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spacetoaster posted:

The mental health of people with limited income, insecure housing and food poverty is actually intimately connected to capitalism.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Elman posted:

Yeah and you should go to 4chan instead of telling people to kill themselves in SA, but life's not perfect.

I didn't do that you gently caress.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I didn't do that you gently caress.

Sorry, I'm phone posting and thought it was the same guy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Elman posted:

Sorry, I'm phone posting and thought it was the same guy.

https://www.hallmark.com/

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Kazak posted:

Impressive work! Two questions: how long have you been benefiting from this lifestyle? And have you taken any significant departures from these choices (for any reason, maybe you went traveling for two weeks or just ran out of energy to keep it up, for example) that caused a noticeable return in anxious thoughts?

This is where I'm at now. It's been a building process, so it's difficult to say how long I've benefiting from this lifestyle.

For example, cold showers and caffeine cessation are new, about two weeks old. But I mention them because they've been powerfully effective - cold showers in particular (it's really astonishing, to be honest). Vegetarianism is a year old. Regular exercise is six or seven years (I might go a few months without exercising but I've never gone longer than six months in possibly my entire life). Sleep routine has been a Known but work/lifestyle precluded healthy sleep habits, now I'm working a regular morning to afternoon Monday through Friday job so I've been slowly improving sleep (about one year). I caught on to the psych impact of social media (Twitter in particular for me) half a year ago. Talk therapy has been two and a half years.

Towards your second question, caffeine is a good example because I stopped exactly as a result of recognizing depressive thoughts entering soon after drinking a cup of coffee that would dissipate one or two hours after. I could not, however, have made that recognition without other interventions already being in place. Another example, I was only "prescribed" marijuana by my therapist because I stopped using it for about two or three weeks. During that session I couldn't speak more than three words between sobs. She caught on immediately and told me to please smoke weed. After resuming use I wasn't not depressed, but I wasn't crying every day. I can say without qualification that departures lead to a noticeable return to depressive, moreso than anxious, thoughts (departure from exercise increases anxious thoughts more than depressive, for what it's worth).

Really if you take any step at all it should absolutely be talk therapy. If it weren't for talk therapy I don't know that I would've been able to build up these habits, or recognize which habits I needed to change, in the first place. I can only speak from personal experience and I'm not a clinician but I'd prioritize like this: talk therapy, non-isolation (do an activity with people and outside your home at least three times a week, if you're currently at zero then make that one, if you're at one make it two), good sleep habits, exercise, diet. I don't know where to put cold showers in there because it's very new but I'm so incredibly blown away by the results that it really bears repeating.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kazak posted:

It's a good question, I'm excited to hear what your response is

Wouldn’t the paramedics just get paid more than $15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah, a rising tide lifts all boats. Also if you want to make more money you should demand more money instead of demanding other people not demand more money :shrug: