Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I rolled arc totems heiro as league starter for incursion and just never ended up playing anything else all league. I am really struggling not to roll it again as starter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Champions using Double Strike and Hierophants using Arc Totems

I started with the latter in incursion so gently caress doing that again.

Skeletons let's do this *waits for patch notes*

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it will be interesting to see if they leave arc alone with the trap nerfs

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder how bad of a nerf the throw speed is for traps.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I think if they were going to nerf arc they would have mentioned it in the balance post since they mentioned the sunder nerf.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I didn’t think arc was OP really. It was just traps that made it so. I’m hoping traps haven’t gone back to dumpster tier again as I quite like the play style. The throw speed nerf worries me a bit. I’m hoping it’s not a stupid nerf to 1 second throw speeds.

E - also the incursion mods from the end boss made arc traps pretty good too without having to use shimmerons.

Tai fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 28, 2018

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
When are patch notes being released?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tai posted:

I didn’t think arc was OP really. It was just traps that made it so. I’m hoping traps haven’t gone back to dumpster tier again as I quite like the play style. The throw speed nerf worries me a bit. I’m hoping it’s not a stupid nerf to 1 second throw speeds.

I mean Arc is the best skill for self-cast, totems and traps. It can't be traps alone.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My second character last league was a poet's pen inpulsa arc/bl elementalist as well. It tore up maps and incursions like nobody's business.

But yeah, if arc doesn't take a hit, I would still expect a lot of arc totems.

Curious to see if pen gets hits as well.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Arc trap still might be viable. Really depends on how bad the throw speed nerf is. The cluster trap nerf shouldn’t effect clear speed too much. Lightning trap getting a buff could off set single target dps a bit.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tai posted:

E - also the incursion mods from the end boss made arc traps pretty good too without having to use shimmerons.

Arc is ludicrously strong, with or without traps. I did selfcast arc and PP LW/Arc and both were just ridiculous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turd Herder posted:

When are patch notes being released?

Probably in about 12 hours

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Arc is ludicrously strong, with or without traps. I did selfcast arc and PP LW/Arc and both were just ridiculous.

Arc's strength is its targeting - particularly after they fixed it to be able to path around corners outside the player's LOS. It's good at clearing and at finding stragglers and at putting full DPS on a boss if you can click vaguely near him. It's obviously not a boss-murdering skill like Molten Strike or other stuff that cheese hitboxes, but the speed and logic of its attack is just so efficient.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
the 15% more multiplier for each remaining chain is probably what needs to be addressed more than anything, this was what was making arc so powerful in any delivery method on a 4L

nerfing anything else would destroy the skill imo it wouldn't feel as good to play anymore

yum fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 28, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Being able to just right click anywhere on the loving screen to murder everything on it and a screen away is what I love most about arc, yeah. :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It's a good idea to local save your builds for when the passive tree changes and we get free respecs again, right?

Penitent posted:

Just started playing again after years and years.

Started a Witch and have gone a lighting focused Arc build.

Any advice on passive skill tree choices, items, or gem synergies?

It feels really effective right now but I'm worried about plateauing.

Now?

You're starting NOW?

Also the passive tree is changing so...

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

My second character last league was a poet's pen inpulsa arc/bl elementalist as well. It tore up maps and incursions like nobody's business.

But yeah, if arc doesn't take a hit, I would still expect a lot of arc totems.

Curious to see if pen gets hits as well.

Yeah this was my last played build of the league and it was amazing, I liked it even more than arc traps and would start with it this league if it wasn't pretty expensive.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I decided early on I'd play the new poo poo, i.e. make a Dominating Blow Guardian. With the new changes, I'm now super pumped. I can't wait to see the new tree.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Penitent posted:

Just started playing again after years and years.

Started a Witch and have gone a lighting focused Arc build.

Any advice on passive skill tree choices, items, or gem synergies?

It feels really effective right now but I'm worried about plateauing.

To follow up on Ak Gara's incredulousness, a new League (with new Delve gameplay) is starting in 3 days 5 hours from this post. Most people will be playing that mode, so feel free to mess around in standard or whatever for a bit, but if you want to play the New Hotness, you'll be starting from scratch in 3 days with the rest of us.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've tried combining the best of my top 2 chars, Flicker Strike and Molten Strike - Poison. It has to go all over the tree and it ends up being poo poo at all 3.
One problem is the weapons Flicker Strike uses are "sort by: damage per strike" and Molten Strike uses "sort by: damage per second" which doesn't work for Flicker Strike as it NEEDS 1 hit - 1 kill for frenzy generation.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dahbadu posted:

I decided early on I'd play the new poo poo, i.e. make a Dominating Blow Guardian. With the new changes, I'm now super pumped. I can't wait to see the new tree.

Same, except poison spore pathfinder

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ghostlight posted:

quote:

The Witch starting area now has a minion path replacing its existing mana and mana regeneration path.

siiiigh

I was planning a selfcast chaos (Blight/ED/Contagion) witch for Delve but hey at least that means one more tree path I can avoid.

Maybe squeeze in the new Herald if I can find the sockets anywhere.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 28, 2018

nerox
May 20, 2001

Dahbadu posted:

Same. I like minions and I wanted to play a melee guy this league. It sucks cause I think a lot of people will do it and the uniques are going to be expensive :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arc totems requires a four link. Which is a pretty cheap barrier to entry.

Although I saw somewhere someone best Uber elder with a pseudo five link arc trap. In SSF

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 28, 2018

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Two races in a row I hit 85, and two races in a row I got nothing. Garbage game.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm planning on running mostly new build ideas this league at least. The new chaos rain of arrows and/or caustic arrow, some form of skeleton minion build, etc.

I want to do flicker strike but I want to see if there's any new frenzy charge gimmicks before I narrow it down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I got the automaton portal from the free apocalypse chest thing for reaching 35 :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The new bringer of pain looks interesting to me. I didn’t use the new double strike yet

Especially since war cries can be instant now

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

euphronius posted:

The new bringer of pain looks interesting to me. I didn’t use the new double strike yet

Especially since war cries can be instant now
Yoooooo, that's an 8link now, and even if you ignore the blind it's still a drat good 7link.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah and if you are constantly war crying you get intimidate too

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I was thinking about going Grandpa, too...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh it’s fake and I’m dumb I guess

I’m bad at the Internet.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ak Gara posted:

It's a good idea to local save your builds for when the passive tree changes and we get free respecs again, right?

What's a good way to do this, even? I'm using Path of Building but presumably it will update for the new passive tree and struggle to load older builds I have saved, right?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The official website tree will still load old codes but just break on any changed paths iirc

Also playing a character that has a respec (standard) is already a mistake

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Also playing a character that has a respec (standard) is already a mistake

Even if I believed this (I wouldn't go that far but there's no point starting a fight over it), I might want to borrow parts of a tree build for a future league and it would be nice to be able to consult them, so this

dyzzy posted:

The official website tree will still load old codes but just break on any changed paths iirc

is good news, thanks.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sometimes I sling poo poo for the sake of it, all that matters is that it's fun for you

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Also, Path of Building has a setting for older trees (2.6 vs. 3.3 i believe) so you can load old characters and see what they looked like.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Still surprised that ele hit wasn't mentioned in the manifesto yesterday. I can see Impulsa's taking a another slight nerf besides the secondary damage, but seeing how they haven't done anything to poet's pen since it came out I don't know.

Not sure what to do in delve, but I'm thinking skeletons and specters again. Better witch pathing sounds good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I hope they never touch my perfect pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Dallan Invictus posted:

I get their reasoning here but the thing with balancing via strategic tedium is that this is still a video game. Picking up scrolls and abundant minor currency items is miserable (thus the calls for autopickup) in addition to being inefficient, and that means that not many "other people" will do it as an actual means to get somewhere economically for very long. They'll either learn quickly that it isn't worth their time, or just quit playing because gently caress that, they already have a job.

Bots, on the other hand, eat that poo poo right up, so it would seem to me that most of the value added to these items would end up accruing to them and their operators.

I just want to add that this is basically my opinion on the situation. Also, having to pick up all that minor currency must get tedious for many SSF players -- right?