Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
try holding someone else's dick? like your boss' boss

now in theory that might be a sexist assumption, but it's google, so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

duz posted:

do you have any better ideas on how to get that promotion?

I hear some name brand shoes will do the trick

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
full grain leather though, or you're wearing waiter's shoes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

have i mentioned google is full of stupid ppl??

*Sith Narrator voice* Your entitlement? The pain you endure.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

there's a kidz bop version of "in the end" where it changes the lyrics to "in the end, i know i really matter"

lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

there's a kidz bop version of "in the end" where it changes the lyrics to "in the end, i know i really matter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfyNnUgK8qE

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

rjmccall posted:

lol

working a force is an idiom for being police, friend. your version isn't close to grammatical, not even on a "good enough for a lyric" level. if that's what they wanted to say it would be "on" work forces, which still works lyrically. but that's not what they wanted to say because "work force" means basically any job, so it would just be a lame line saying that some kkk members, like, work for a living, instead of a loving great line calling out the police for being racist as poo poo

'working a force' isn't a thing and there's no reference to it on the internet.

you're thinking of 'walking a beat'

the lyric takes poetic license with grammar. here's how you would say the same thing. "some of the same forces which are at work also burn crosses."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

muckswirler posted:

'working a force' isn't a thing and there's no reference to it on the internet.

you're thinking of 'walking a beat'

the lyric takes poetic license with grammar. here's how you would say the same thing. "some of the same forces which are at work also burn crosses."

ok but besides being wrong that makes the song pretty toothless and meaningless, and doesn't mesh with "for wearing the badge" in the next part. the song is very explicitly about cops and not just some other weird nonspecific societal oppression

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
even listening to rage for the first time in college, the allusion is very clear that those that work [police] forces are the same that burn crosses.

not a lot of room for discussion on this one, i'm afraid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like wikipedia even mentions it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_in_the_Name

quote:

Zack de la Rocha sometimes changes the lyrics in the second verse from "Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses" to "Some of those that burn crosses are the same that hold office" when playing live.[46]

once again, it's talking about specific people

also lol

quote:

In 2012 Tom Morello criticized the UK Independence Party (UKIP) for using the song "Killing in the Name"

:psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rage against the machine is paul ryans favorite band lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
its really funny how the right can divorce artists from their work but the left can't lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the right have no conscience, they dont care

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
or they know that art is always irrelevant and downstream from politics :mrgw:

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

okok i admit it i was wrong. you are right wrestling is awesome and i love it now.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Munkeymon posted:

I hear some name brand shoes will do the trick

clarks are a name brand.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

its really funny how the right can divorce artists from their work but the left can't lol

the paul ryan thing is mega weird though because rage against the machine’s politics saturate their music through and through. go ahead and divorce the band members from their work—it’s leftist all on its own.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

can they really though? You have poo poo like gamer gate, comics gate, and even more mainstream the nfl protests

they constantly bitch about politics in things

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

President Beep posted:

the paul ryan thing is mega weird though because rage against the machine’s politics saturate their music through and through. go ahead and divorce the band members from their work—it’s leftist all on its own.

maybe it's a pro af troll?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lancemantis posted:

Even if they have improved plumbing now it’s going to be culturally embedded for a couple generations

epoogenetics

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

quote:

justify those that die for wearing the badge in their chosen life

quote:

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal
I walk tha corner to tha rubble, that used to be a library
Line up to the mind cemetery now!
What we don't know keeps the contracts alive and movin'
They don't gotta burn tha books, they just remove 'em
While arms warehouses fill as quick as the cells

quote:

But I learned to burn that bridge and delete
Those who compete...at a level that's obsolete
Instead I warm my hands upon the flames of the flag
As I recall our downfall
And the business that burned us all
See through the news and the views that twist reality

Enough
I call the bluff
gently caress Manifest destiny

Landlords and power whores
On my people they took turns
Dispute the suits I ignite
And then watch 'em burn

three random rage songs (killing in the name, bulls on parade, and bombtrack). you can pretty much grab any rage song and it's going to have extreme bash the fash lyrics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
paul ryan probably just threw out the name of the first popular band he could think of

he just happened to pick one whose guitarist would write a response in rolling stone that says ryan is the machine, lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

paul ryan probably just threw out the name of the first popular band he could think of

he just happened to pick one whose guitarist would write a response in rolling stone that says ryan is the machine, lol

he probably likes it because it's "HIGH ENERGY WOOOOOOO" and he likes to listen to it while flipping over tractor tires or whatever the gently caress it is he does with p90xyz or w/e the gently caress.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i hope paul ryan and kissinger are next

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i want to listen to some rage now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Endless Mike posted:

go ahead, friend :)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

After you listen to the classics, jump headfirst into the cover album cause it's great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

lights out guerilla radio

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
my high school social history teacher made us analyze ratm songs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muckswirler posted:

After you listen to the classics, jump headfirst into the cover album cause it's great.

i mean, it's not like i haven't listened to them lots. i just haven't in awhile

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

The Friday kicked off with an AMA with Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill, where they shared stories about how taking Talent Acquisition seriously since the early days had been key to Riot’s success. (For those who haven’t heard the term before, AMA stands for “ask me anything”, and it refers to a loosely-structured type of interview popularized by Reddit.) The two shared some great stories about candidates they pursued who were critical to getting League of Legends shipped in those first harrowing months of launching. Then they shared an example of how one candidate did not take an offer initially, but because we persevered and followed up, they eventually did take our offer. At the end of that example, Brandon laughed and said, “I was about to say something.” He paused, and then went on to say, “No doesn’t necessarily mean no.”

The next day, one of my former direct reports and her direct report, both of whom I was actively mentoring, asked to speak with me as soon as I could. We met up right away, and they were visibly upset. One of them said to me, “There’s a rape joke in some of the recruiting material, and they’re saying it’s something that Brandon said at the offsite. Is that true? Did he say that?”

I think I took a deep breath, followed by a long sigh. It was a simple question, with a simple answer, but with that answer came grave implications.

“Yeah, he did.”

I pulled out my phone to check email, and found replies to the email I sent Brandon, but not only him. My original email had apparently become a thread with some folks in leadership. I recall it mentioning that hyper-sensitive people who didn’t understand intent were a problem we needed to address at Riot. I closed that email thread, and immediately below it there was a meeting invite titled “Riot Voice and Sense of Humor” set for when everyone returned from the company trip. The invite included the co-founders Marc (my boss) and Brandon, the head of Communications, the head of Legal, and myself.

At some point I think I referred to the slogan as a rape joke. Brandon pulled up a picture of a t-shirt that had an iceberg floating in water on it with the words “just the tip”, and said he had that t-shirt, and what did I think of it. I said I didn’t think it was appropriate. This led to a bit of back and forth between Marc, Brandon, and I, followed by Brandon talking for several minutes. I think Brandon felt misunderstood and misinterpreted, and that my email implied that I thought he condoned rape. After he had talked for several minutes, Marc said, “So what do you think about what he said?” I replied, “I think he thinks these sorts of things are OK and I don’t.”

Up until that point, neither of those people had said much at all. The head of Communications said that we were edgy, and that if we as Riot started chipping away those edges, we would become shapeless and bland, like EA or Blizzard. I responded that if we told everyone starting today there could be no more rape jokes in presentations and talks, it would still be a multi-year effort for us to no longer be edgy.

I remember trying to appeal to the business aspects of the behavior, and how it opened us up to legal liability. The head of Legal did speak up and asked if we were concerned about legal liability. She was seated to my left, and I was seated on Brandon’s left, where he was at the head of table. Brandon extended his arm past me and held up his hand in front of her and hushed her, saying we were not going to talk about that.

I do not think that much of leadership would actively condone sexism and the mistreatment of women. However, when confronted with what they would need to change about their behavior to prevent an environment that nurtures sexism and mistreatment of women, they have an established record of being unwilling to make those changes.
http://barryhawkins.com/blog/posts/the-story-of-why-i-left-riot-games/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duz posted:

do you have any better ideas on how to get that promotion?

launching a chat app is the traditional way

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

he probably likes it because it's "HIGH ENERGY WOOOOOOO" and he likes to listen to it while flipping over tractor tires or whatever the gently caress it is he does with p90xyz or w/e the gently caress.

he likes it because he likes to rage against the machine of Big Government

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like people joke about conservatives not understanding music they’re playing being ironic, but some of them do understand the content perfectly well; they just think they’re the good guys

like some people are being completely sincere when they call civil rights protesters Nazis

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

some folks are born made to wave the flag oh they're red white and blue

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

born in the usa!!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

born in the usa!!!

a large chunk of folks have no idea this song is not patriotic

boomers went to a roger waters show and complained about all the "people bashing"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

like people joke about conservatives not understanding music they’re playing being ironic, but some of them do understand the content perfectly well; they just think they’re the good guys

like some people are being completely sincere when they call civil rights protesters Nazis

you see paul ryan is not one of the chosen whites who burns crosses because nobody burns crosses anymore because rosa parks ended racism :downs:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

a large chunk of folks have no idea this song is not patriotic

it actually is, but not in the way that reagan and ilk think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Waymo’s Big Ambitions Slowed by Tech Trouble

Alphabet’s Waymo unit is a worldwide leader in autonomous vehicle development for suburban environments. It has said it would launch a driverless robo-taxi service to suburban Phoenix residents this year. Yet its self-driving minivan prototypes have trouble crossing the T-intersection closest to the company’s Phoenix-area headquarters here.

Two weeks ago, Lisa Hargis, an administrative assistant who works at an office a stone’s throw from Waymo’s vehicle depot, said she nearly hit a Waymo Chrysler Pacifica minivan because it stopped abruptly while making a right turn at the intersection. “Go!” she shouted angrily, she said, after getting stuck in the intersection midway through her left turn. Cars that had been driving behind the Waymo van also stopped. “I was going to murder someone,” she said.

and then the rest is paywalled
https://www.theinformation.com/articles/waymos-big-ambitions-slowed-by-tech-trouble