Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aethernet posted:

In some very exciting news for Sexy Planet fans, a redditor has discovered that the planets have been sexy all along:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/9amwdp/stellaris_has_gfx_assets_for_some_beautiful_skies/?utm_source=reddit-android

And Wiz has confirmed that he will hook us up.

:yeshaha:

But now my appetite is just whetted for more. What will be The Sexiest Planet??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I know there's a your mom joke in there somewhere. I know it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

I know there's a your mom joke in there somewhere. I know it.

She's certainly a planet, but not seeing the sexy part.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

One with lots of mountainous terrain for all the Sexy Hiking.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

An empire without external immigration should roughly keep stable population ratios, all else equal, so a 80% human/20% blorg empire should remain so

Although it would be nice to see that empire somewhat even out over time so that worlds that started 100% human would trend towards 90% human, worlds that started 100% blorg would trend towards 90% blorg, and new worlds would trend towards 80% human / 20% blorg, habitability permitting.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Reading through (or skimming through, as the case may be) recent posts about pop growth and I think there's a major question that hasn't been examined: what is a pop?

Many posters have been treating pop as population, but I don't think that's an entirely correct assumption. Planets have pop caps. Techs and constructions increases the pop cap. Ergo, pop is intrinsically linked to physical space available (that is fit for habitation). Population, which we think of in terms of 'x million people living on this planet', is only superficially related to how much pop is used. The relationship between pop and population is clearly non-linear, with pop growth slowing as pop increases, even as population growth would be expected to explode assuming no resource scarcity.

So, pop is space and population is nonlinear. Assume a hypothetical planet with 10 Human pops and 1 Blorg pop, why does the Blorg need so much space? Because the requisite facilities for Blorg habitation are not shared with the Human pops. They eat different food and excrete different wastes, so you're going to need way more space to build new restaurants and bathrooms and maybe some extra seats on the public transit. Blorg pop increases quickly because you need less population to hit the next tier and economies of scale starts kicking in for the facilities they use. Habitability numbers play their part here, with high habitability meaning that fewer specialized facilities are required and so population can grow more quickly.

Finally, we get to migration, which I see as being intrinsically linked to species rights. Full Citizenship means you can live anywhere, but also that the facilities you need are provided. If the Blorg has full citizenship and a new colony is established on Alpha Centauri, then the colony on AC better have Blorg bathrooms. If the Blorg have merely Residency rights, that may mean there isn't any special accommodation being mandated - the Blorg already have pops and are permitted to remain, but they won't want to migrate to a planet where Blorg accommodations aren't present. And so forth, with the understanding that the player can at any time go into the Species Rights menu and change both current rights and default rights. Remember that you can already set rules to keep Blorg out of your Human core worlds, etc. in the current patch.

I believe Wiz's numbers are fine in the context of this interpretation of pops/population/rights. It's not perfect (things start getting weird when you start considering resource production per pop - does higher pop counts mean your higher population is drowning under bureaucracy?), but it explains everything in an intelligible fashion. I think the main piece of information we are lacking is what changes are being made to species management for this upcoming update.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

isndl posted:

Many posters have been treating pop as population, but I don't think that's an entirely correct assumption. Planets have pop caps. Techs and constructions increases the pop cap. Ergo, pop is intrinsically linked to physical space available (that is fit for habitation). Population, which we think of in terms of 'x million people living on this planet', is only superficially related to how much pop is used. The relationship between pop and population is clearly non-linear, with pop growth slowing as pop increases, even as population growth would be expected to explode assuming no resource scarcity.
I was considering making a case for something like this, but got side tracked by making a bunch of random terrible arguments. You put it better than I would have, and I think it's a fair interpretation. As fair as anything, considering how the game works.

I think population in Civ worked kind of like this, where the flavor "empire population" score didn't just count up the numbers next to your city, but gave more weight for bigger cities.

If you're going to use a Civ style pop growth system you need an abstraction like that to make sense of population levels eventually, and if we assume that's going on in Stellaris then it absolutely makes sense that minority pops, representing fewer individuals, would grow first.

I don't think it's a critical part of the case- there's obviously a lot of weirdness even if you accept that idea- but it's a way of looking at things that might make the way it works more intuitive to some.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A pop is an abstract measurement of a unit of mobilized workforce. It's not bound to any number apart from the fact that you can get more pops out of a larger population.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wiegieman posted:

A pop is an abstract measurement of a unit of mobilized workforce. It's not bound to any number apart from the fact that you can get more pops out of a larger population.
I think this is painfully obvious but the counter-argument is that food consumption scales linearly with # of Pops, and therefore while the exact number of individuals vary they obviously are "enough whatevers to eat 1 megaburg"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The rate of growth behaves like that, but food consumption, material productivity, manual resettlement and soon to be housing space all behave like each pop is a mostly-fixed (though very vague) number of people. As does, frankly, the name itself.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
edit: Odd double post there.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Nessus posted:

I think this is painfully obvious but the counter-argument is that food consumption scales linearly with # of Pops, and therefore while the exact number of individuals vary they obviously are "enough whatevers to eat 1 megaburg"

Which is still a highly abstracted concept because we have no idea what amount of food that is, and how absurd it is that 1 unit of food is exactly the same between the Empire that consists entirely of hulking brute lizard pops and an Empire that consists of literally a bunch of sentient small foxes. You could argue that the amount of a unit of food in those empires is based on the species, but then if you get them both on one planet they still take exactly the same amount of food resource even if that's silly.

Using units of anything in Stellaris to make any sort of "realistic" proof is dumb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

1 pop = 1 man, 1 food = 1 apple. It's right there in the text guys.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Strobe posted:

Using units of anything in Stellaris to make any sort of "realistic" proof is dumb.
I agree, it's definitely not hard and fast. It's just leaning towards one interpretation or another, with none of them being absolute.

vv-Mostly, yes.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think there's a lot of room for interpretation on how many people a pop represents, and you can also include a variety of other elements like infrastructure and social policy development, but I also think that if you go too far down that path then you end up in the weeds. And the new system will be increasingly narrowing that definition by developing separate values for housing and resources and the like. A pop is a unit of people.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1034387593172082689?s=19

More clarity on happiness and stability, the latter being the value that most corresponds to happiness as it was. Wiz also tweeted that autocratic societies care less about the happiness of the lower orders, as long as they have sufficient police to shoot minorities.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The amount of people a pop represents is intentionally left up to interpretation. There is never going to be an official number of any kind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wiz posted:

The amount of people a pop represents is intentionally left up to interpretation. There is never going to be an official number of any kind.
I think the main root of our theological argument here is whether a Pop represents a FIXED number of undefined people or not.

Here's a hypothetical: Could a species that has vanished in the sense of having zero Pops reappear if the conditions were right?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

I think the main root of our theological argument here is whether a Pop represents a FIXED number of undefined people or not.

Here's a hypothetical: Could a species that has vanished in the sense of having zero Pops reappear if the conditions were right?

As I view it, no, a pop is not a fixed number, and yes, zero pops probably doesn't mean 100% extinct.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

As I view it, no, a pop is not a fixed number, and yes, zero pops probably doesn't mean 100% extinct.
I think the question was is a pop of blorg on planet A about the same number of blorg as a pop of blorg on planet B.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I think the question was is a pop of blorg on planet A about the same number of blorg as a pop of blorg on planet B.

As I see it? Probably not. There really isn't a definitive answer either way though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
My headcanon is that a pop is a unit of equivalent biomass by weight, so a single blorg pop is just a really fat and unpopular chubby guy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
pops is food

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gyshall posted:

pops is food

i;m thinking about thos pops

isndl
May 2, 2012

Gyshall posted:

pops is food

:cop: "Are you classified as human?"
:downs: "Negative, I am a meat popsicle."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Pops is power.

Literally, in the case of hooking them up to the grid. But also in getting those tiles online and working. At least for now. I wonder whether population will still be power in the new system?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They have generator sectors. Just pretend they are full of those giant pod things from the movie. As widely impractical as they were.

I'm interested to see how the new happiness and stability systems work out, if they're truly independent or if using one system to game the other is all it takes to succeed. It seems any time there is a system like this all it takes to succeed is to play space Jesus and your subjects will shower you with money. Playing any other way is demonstrably worse and you only do it to role play.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

pops is food

This is literally true, inasmuch as a pop is the number of a given species that consumes one food per month, where food is some sort of galactic standard measure of grub. Applying this to Earth implies a pop of Americans is equivalent to ten human pops.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please add some kind of weapon that is more effective at bombarding planets, having it take years to soften up a planet for invasion is ridiculous

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

canepazzo posted:

i;m thinking about thos pops

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Please add some kind of weapon that is more effective at bombarding planets, having it take years to soften up a planet for invasion is ridiculous

Bring more dudes.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Bring more dudes.

Food fight?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Blorg pops are poops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

My headcanon is that a pop is a unit of equivalent biomass by weight, so a single blorg pop is just a really fat and unpopular chubby guy.

Speaking of this, I can't remember if they're traits in the base game but xenology perhaps adds size modifiers for your species. At the moment they just impact stuff like fightyness and food usage, but it'd be pretty neat if you could pick an actual small species and have them use flat out less housing in exchange for being less fighty by weight. So you can cram even more onto your planets.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Pops are just 1 single overworked member of a species. That's why rogue servitors can just mush them together and they eat half as much food in their people zoo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of this, I can't remember if they're traits in the base game but xenology perhaps adds size modifiers for your species. At the moment they just impact stuff like fightyness and food usage, but it'd be pretty neat if you could pick an actual small species and have them use flat out less housing in exchange for being less fighty by weight. So you can cram even more onto your planets.

This is explicitly a thing in the dev diary which is cool. One of the species shown off took up .75 housing per pop.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume traits like communal will now change housing needs rather than happiness or whatever it is now.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz alluded to such when replying to questions on one of the recent diaries, I imagine it is one of many coming to help fit with the new systems.

If I had to guess, I'd say living standards will play a very large role in determining housing demands on your planet, more so than anything else - do your people all get a nice, swanky penthouse to live in, a cookie cutter home in the burbs, or are they all jammed in to one squalid flophouse?

May be a reason not to just default to utopian abundance now since it'll be hard to give everyone their own personal skyscraper.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just hope the game realizes that population capacity has very little to do with land/size and everything to do with resources. Like let me just keep piling on denser and denser housing at higher and higher costs. Cool, I just made every building in NYC 3x as tall, that didn't take up any land or reduce any "slots" for other buildings, it just cost a bunch of resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
From what we know now it sounds like housing is tied to districts, of which planets can only support a finite amount. Some allowing for more than others depending on the type.

We've also seen some building types that show you can build additional housing in building slots as you unlock them so you'll have to weigh the benefits of using them for that vs. production/research and there's probably tech that helps there as well but it doesn't seem you can just build vertically forever. At some point you'll top out and have to find somewhere else to dump people.