Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The main principles of film photography are exactly the same as the main principles of digital photography. Both use the same set of three adjustments to create a properly exposed image. If you understand aperture, shutterspeed and ISO, then that is pretty much everything that you need to know to use any camera effectively. Canon have a really useful interactive explainer for that which also lets you pay around with a virtual camera to experiment with the way that those settings affect your image.

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

It's obviously designed around the controls and feedback UI of a DSLR, but your Pentax film cameras work in almost exactly the same way. You set the shutter speed on the top dial, the aperture at the lens and the ISO is fixed at the rating of whatever film you have loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

SMERSH Mouth posted:

f I was going back to Eastern Block medium format cameras, I'd probably spring for a restored Pentacon Six instead. They don't have MLU, but I'd be willing to bet that a very solid and heavy-enough tripod could tame the vibration for long exposures.

I like the P6 a lot but 2 out of the 3 I've had developed problems with the film advance lever - there's a little plastic part in there that I guess doesn't age so well - and you do have to be very careful with the loading or you get frame spacing issues. Definitely go for a serviced/restored one, cos in good condition it's a great camera with some really nice glass for not that much money. One of the German service companies will also do you a MLU mod for like €100 if you really want it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
How necessary is it to keep films like Cinestill and Velvia refrigerated? They've yet to attain their expiration date, but I dug them out of my film box and realized I'd forgotten to refrigerate them at some point - I'd say they've been purchased about four months ago. I've googled and people kind of sit on either side - where it MUST be refrigerated, and others just say it's not that big of a deal.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What's a good way to get into sheet film, preferably for not too terribly much money. I'd like to try some zone development techniques, and it's awkward trying to shoot an entire roll planning around it. I suppose I could try medium format and just develop an entire roll of that since it's fewer shots so it's easier to plan around, but figure I may as well look into sheet film first since that's one of the biggest draws to it. And the detail, of course.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Shoot x-ray film in a pinhole camera and tray develop

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

WorldWarWonderful posted:

How necessary is it to keep films like Cinestill and Velvia refrigerated? They've yet to attain their expiration date, but I dug them out of my film box and realized I'd forgotten to refrigerate them at some point - I'd say they've been purchased about four months ago. I've googled and people kind of sit on either side - where it MUST be refrigerated, and others just say it's not that big of a deal.

I don't know about Cinestill, but I've shot dozens of rolls film that were a decade past date, stored in a drawer at room temp and they all turned out no different than a brand new roll would have. Refrigerate when possible, but it's not that big a deal. Definitely keep film away from heat and out of the sun though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Father O'Blivion posted:

Shoot x-ray film in a pinhole camera and tray develop

Any recommendations for pinhole cameras? I know Jack poo poo about them.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
They aren't hard to make, I've made one with a simple cardboard box and a beer can. Both used paper negatives though, so I dont know how well they work with film.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any recommendations for pinhole cameras? I know Jack poo poo about them.

There the Harman titan, it's $230 for a pinhole camera but if you're ready to shoot 4x5 that probably doesn't deter you much.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Spotmatic F, Fomapan 400, lovely scans from a local lab.

House By The Water

000026.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Spaghetti

000044.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I would not feel comfortable going down that side of the stairs.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just got a fresh bottle of HC-110. Question - I want dilution B right? 1:31 from bottle of stuff I got from the store?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The dilution you choose will depend on how long you want the development process to be. Dilution B is the most commonly used dilution on most film data sheets but you might find the time too short to control accurately with some films. Lots of people use "Dilution-H" which is double the dilution of B (1:63) with twice the time. Just make sure you have enough active ingredient in the mix to fully develop the film, which if I recall is at least 6ml of HC-110 per roll of 135 or 120 film.

This site is frequently cited as a good resource for HC-110 information. You can probably ignore his decanting instructions unless you live in a place with incredible humidity year round. HC-110 is like Rodinal with folks one upping each other on just how old and decrepit looking they can get their developer before it stops working. HC-110 is pretty much immortal.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 13, 2018

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I've been using HC-110 for years @ Dilution E without a problem, even when it's mixed at 5ml for 240ml total per roll for my steel tanks. it's never hurt my process since i started doing it that way.

People have even figured out a 1:100 mix because math is hard.

Aside from that site, where else have people gotten the information of 6ml minimum per roll?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
It looks like everyone just parrots that site. Kodak's own datasheet for HC-110 doesn't mention a minimum developer amount.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So looking into large format stuff, I’ve come up with a probably crazy idea: would it be possible to offer some kind of pseudo 1-hour photo service using direct positive photo paper? Aka, take a picture of someone on location at an event, unload the film in a darkbag and then develop/hang to dry also on location, then the person you took the picture of comes back in an hour or so to pick up their brand new print? I could see people at comic conventions or whatever going crazy for that kinda poo poo.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Sound like a 2 person op so you dont miss a chance to shoot someone while the other develops, and people still buy daguerreotypes so I say go for it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Note that positive paper has an effective ISO of about 3. I hope you can get people to sit absolutely motionless for about 20 seconds...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Sauer posted:

HC-110 is like Rodinal with folks one upping each other on just how old and decrepit looking they can get their developer before it stops working. HC-110 is pretty much immortal.

In my experience the bottle gives out before the HC-110 does.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Made some dilution B and I'm p happy with the results! Gonna try and scan a bunch tonight.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

also, look into something like these amber bottles to decant the solution into something a little more durable.

Amber Bottles on Amazon

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm using a 64 oz growler that i cleaned out, didn't realize I needed it and luckily I had one just looking for a purpose!

I've only been shooting film for a year and not get many good frames, but drat is shooting and developing at home fun. I'm starting to see if I can take some classes at a local community darkroom to learn how to make prints. Inkjet printing is cool, but I wanna learn the real thing!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I've seen people use HC-110 as a paper developer, JSYK

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I keep my HC-110 in a old port bottle (with the nice cork stopper), it is about 8 years old now because i didn't shoot film for a few years. Still works fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Note that positive paper has an effective ISO of about 3. I hope you can get people to sit absolutely motionless for about 20 seconds...

Or going by Sunny-16 rule, outside on a sunny day at f/4 you should be able to do 1/50 s. Or just use (lots of) flash.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I bought some Pro Image 100 and have been trying it out, the greens seem kind of weird to me, but otherwise it seems nice.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Started using FilmPro for iOS to log my film shooting. The one thing I’m not seeing on it is an export feature. Anyone use a similar app that has some more features to it?

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Have you ever had half of an image come out unsharp like this due to a bad scan? I've tried to show it in the graphic below, but even if it's not that clear from viewing it in a browser, this image (shot on a tripod at f/22, 1/2s) is pretty appreciably blurrier on the right 40% of the frame. In the crop, it might just look like the railing goes out of the plane of best focus, but DoF extends to infinity on the sharp side.

P67 Sharpness Comp by S M, on Flickr

All the other scans from this batch looked fine. They're from a Pentax 6x7, so it's hard to think film flatness was an issue, but I don't have the negatives back yet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Have you ever had half of an image come out unsharp like this due to a bad scan? I've tried to show it in the graphic below, but even if it's not that clear from viewing it in a browser, this image (shot on a tripod at f/22, 1/2s) is pretty appreciably blurrier on the right 40% of the frame. In the crop, it might just look like the railing goes out of the plane of best focus, but DoF extends to infinity on the sharp side.

P67 Sharpness Comp by S M, on Flickr

All the other scans from this batch looked fine. They're from a Pentax 6x7, so it's hard to think film flatness was an issue, but I don't have the negatives back yet.

I have to say I can't tell the difference blown up on a 1440p monitor. I've got horrible eyes for this poo poo though.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The only difference I see is in the leaves behind the railing on the right, and even then it might just be that it's a less contrasty area or the leaves weren't still or something idk.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finally got some film dev'd.

Ektar3 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Portra1 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Ektar2 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009

Skoora fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 26, 2018

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I to hate it when I prematurely hit the shutter release. Its a like a hair trigger on my camera.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Had an odd question for anyone who uses the Epson V550 to scan film. Has anyone noticed a change in scan quality between Thumbnail and Normal mode? Since I'm shooting in dark venues at times I get why it has trouble trying to pick out the frames. But why would Normal comes out looking so flat? Here's an example:

Thumbnail mode:
img446 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Normal mode:
img432 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Is it controlling the lights on the scan head differently in some way? Like Normal will use all the lights and it comes out flat? That was the only thing I could think of.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Is the "auto correct" turned on in thumbnail mode but off in Normal mode?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Sauer posted:

Is the "auto correct" turned on in thumbnail mode but off in Normal mode?

You know... I'm honestly not sure. I've never noticed any settings changing between modes but it is possible I need to menu dive or something.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's probably because you're picking up some of the unexposed film area around the edges of the frame with the marquee. Tighten up your selection box in normal mode and the difference should disappear.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Make sure you manually set the levels on each scan. Also, check your epson scan software settings - theres a setting which makes the selection auto expose all the time which is annoying AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004