Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
$37,000 in Boston :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Grumpwagon posted:

To be fair, that is an accurate representation of the risks!

Just in my own stupid circle of friends I am still amazed at the number of people who believe "well, credit resets after 7 years, so if I can't afford it I'll just suck it up, ignore them for 7 years, and I'll be fine".

I mean, the tiniest bit of research would blow that bullshit to pieces, but that wouldn't get you the Ford Raptor of your dreams, so, head in sand it is.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

$37,000 in Boston :chloe:

After taxes? That isn't incredibly bad.

The real question mark I'm wondering about is a $600 / mo loan on a loving 2013 Rogue.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ixian posted:

Just in my own stupid circle of friends I am still amazed at the number of people who believe "well, credit resets after 7 years, so if I can't afford it I'll just suck it up, ignore them for 7 years, and I'll be fine".

I mean, the tiniest bit of research would blow that bullshit to pieces, but that wouldn't get you the Ford Raptor of your dreams, so, head in sand it is.

It’s like short term and long term planning all at once.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dear lord, how is "my ____ wants me to take the loan out and have it in their name" so common in these posts? Have any of you been asked this by family? I seriously can't even imagine it.

Big fan of this bit, too:

When I was 16 my mother made me take an auto loan (which she cosigned) to purchase her friend's car (that her friend could no longer afford) to sell to my brother (he made the payments on the car loan every month).

I haven't spoken to my mother since moving out.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure if my step dad actually cosigned it. My mother has always had such awful credit so my adult brain thinks it is very strange that she would be cosigning a loan for me.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 28, 2018

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Anyone got experience "investing" with family? I'm 1 of 7 kids, 5 of us have grown up and are married/have full-time jobs.

My father has these insane ideas. One of the first was that everyone chips in to buy house for the eldest son (gently caress you) and then we'd somehow take turns all the way down. Sister #5 would need to wait >20 years by my extremely optimistic calculation. No mention of inflation or location or anything else. At one point he thought buying land/apartment/something in Turkey was a good idea.

Now he's come up with another idea: we all chip in to buy my brother and sister (both married with kids) a two-store house and divide it up into separate living areas (like apartments) and make them pay discounted rent. This isn't too bad of an idea, until you dig deeper. "Who's going to own the property" and "how much rent do they pay" and "what happens to the rent (and why discounted???)". Everything falls down into NoWay territory really fast. I usually respond with "I got no savings Pa".

But it got me thinking that with our numbers, we should be leveraging our collective earning power to invest. Except my family doesn't deal with interest/loans at all (crazy fuckers), which makes things considerably harder. Also anything related to interest is a haram.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyone got experience "investing" with family? I'm 1 of 7 kids, 5 of us have grown up and are married/have full-time jobs.

My father has these insane ideas. One of the first was that everyone chips in to buy house for the eldest son (gently caress you) and then we'd somehow take turns all the way down. Sister #5 would need to wait >20 years by my extremely optimistic calculation. No mention of inflation or location or anything else. At one point he thought buying land/apartment/something in Turkey was a good idea.

Now he's come up with another idea: we all chip in to buy my brother and sister (both married with kids) a two-store house and divide it up into separate living areas (like apartments) and make them pay discounted rent. This isn't too bad of an idea, until you dig deeper. "Who's going to own the property" and "how much rent do they pay" and "what happens to the rent (and why discounted???)". Everything falls down into NoWay territory really fast. I usually respond with "I got no savings Pa".

But it got me thinking that with our numbers, we should be leveraging our collective earning power to invest. Except my family doesn't deal with interest/loans at all (crazy fuckers), which makes things considerably harder. Also anything related to interest is a haram.

Owning real estate with family is a nightmare. Second only to trying to SELL real estate owned with family. Don't!!!

You don't gain any advantage by pooling your collective income, either.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Really? I know a lot of immigrants who pooled collective income and that was how they got their foot in the door with a stable living arrangement. Same for starting a business.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah, you're essentially starting down the path of starting some sort of small business with your family. Whether a family real estate business or family hedge fund, I'm not sure.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Panfilo posted:

Really? I know a lot of immigrants who pooled collective income and that was how they got their foot in the door with a stable living arrangement. Same for starting a business.

Owning real estate and or a small business are generally worse investments than boring ol' index fund investing, which is why I say there's no advantage.

If your goal is to buy real estate or start a business, then hell yeah, pooled income will make it easier.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

It's a wealth A-Frame.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is that an actual question from you or a post you found?

If actual question from you, no no no don't do any of that and just say no to anything your dad brings up in the future.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

sheri posted:

Is that an actual question from you or a post you found?

If actual question from you, no no no don't do any of that and just say no to anything your dad brings up in the future.
This is a self post and 100% real. If this is breaking the self post rule, please probate my rear end because I don't want to derail or post boring poo poo.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Owning real estate with family is a nightmare. Second only to trying to SELL real estate owned with family. Don't!!!

Panfilo posted:

This is my families story regarding our "home" (parents' house). We are first gen Australians, we all came together to support our parents in paying off the mortgage once we got jobs. This makes no sense because earlier I said loans/interest are not acceptable because of religious reasoning, well that same reasoning somehow allowed them to get a loan because neccessity. As you said this allowed us to get stable housing and it's helped a lot. When my parents pass away, it's going to be a poo poo-fight on what happens to the property. It already needs a huge amount of renovations that aren't going to happen.

CmdrRiker posted:

Yeah, you're essentially starting down the path of starting some sort of small business with your family. Whether a family real estate business or family hedge fund, I'm not sure.
This is actually what I said to my mom on the topic, if we go down this path it needs to be setup independantly of any single person to stop drama and must act for the sake of the business/entity not at the whims of someone. I personally dislike housing as an investment vehicle but it's the only market my family understands/is willing to invest in.

Gonna stay away from family BS for sure, thanks guys.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
are they gettin riba-compatible loans (assuming muslims, given debt is no bueno religiously) for more money? lol

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The only moral loan is my loan

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

are they gettin riba-compatible loans (assuming muslims, given debt is no bueno religiously) for more money? lol

At first yes. I mentioned this maybe in this thread or the last one but it's worth mentioning it again because gently caress these parasitic bastards. They went with a bank ironically called MCCA (pronounced Mecca), which essentially repackaged loans from the big 4 Australian banks into "Islamic compatible" financial package (with a premium of course). It acted exactly like a standard interest-loan, with a variable rate and everything else. I have no idea how this was not riba. If you take a classical view on riba (not shared by any current day muslims), it refers to unreasonably high rates, i.e. usury. Ironically, by whatever definition you go by, this loan was 100% usury.

At that time the going mortgage rate was ~8%, MCCA's rate was ~12%. Just bonkers. My dad was watching the news and the reserve bank of Australia had dropped the interest rate by a few points (I think 0.5%?) and again the next quarter. All the big 4 banks followed suit and dropped their rates. Not MCCA! They kept it at a sweet 12%. My dad eventually got the shits and switched to a standard bank and got something like $400 reduction in the interest per payment which he put towards the principle. The loan agent tried guilt tripping my dad, lol.

BMan posted:

The only moral loan is my loan
Only the first. After that, it's sinning!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
BWM from my old office.

Guy works for the feds, permanent full time, GS-7. Makes 19.82/hr, plus probably 400hrs of OT on the low end. So a reasonably comfortable wage in a no-income tax, LCOL state.

He has a truck (the horse of automobiles) he bought for about 60k a few years ago. Paid it down, then refinanced it to pull remaining equity out so his wife could buy a brand new jeep. They have a house, spend like cash is full of ebola, and are in debt up to their eyeballs. So pretty much the American Dream. Kinda BWM, but not unusually so.

Broseph is probably going to get a GS-8 detail next year, and has a clear road to a GS-9 with the same OT. So in 2 years he's on track to gross $65k/yr in an easy job that he's good at and everyone likes him in. Not bad for a 23 yr old with no college education.

The BWM part comes with what he wants to do in the future. He isn't unhappy in his present job, but he wants to go into a different branch of his profession. His vision for next year is leaving his present position and taking a GS-4 position thats, at best a 2/3rds year seasonal position. If he does this, there is no way he sniffs a GS-9 for another decade at least. He is leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table to go play outside for two thirds of the year.

I understand not wanting to get bogged down and to pursue dreams. But at what point does pursuing dreams and spiting a solidly middle class existence just become BWL?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BWL is working outside that much and destroying your body rather than hiding inside and growing fat and giving yourself nerd neck.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

xbox financing

Sweet! Now I can do monthly payments on my xbone to play vidja games!!!! Mom!!! We need more Cheetos!!!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh as long as I could still afford rent and stuff I'd happily take a substantial pay cut if it meant getting a job I liked over one I find bad, that just seems like the dude has different priorities in life then you more then anything

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

sparkmaster posted:

He has a truck (the horse of automobiles) he bought for about 60k a few years ago. Paid it down, then refinanced it to pull remaining equity out so his wife could buy a brand new jeep. They have a house, spend like cash is full of ebola, and are in debt up to their eyeballs. So pretty much the American Dream. Kinda BWM, but not unusually so.

Okay, hold up.

He refinanced his truck to pull out equity?

WTF, that's a thing and not just title pawn?

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

He has a truck (the horse of automobiles) he bought for about 60k a few years ago. Paid it down, then refinanced it to pull remaining equity out

This is dumb when it's a house, a cash-out refi on a truck is some next level :magical: poo poo!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OneTruePecos posted:

This is dumb when it's a house, a cash-out refi on a truck is some next level :magical: poo poo!

Not just any truck, a $60k truck that presumably stays immaculate and gets parked across multiple parking spaces

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Virigoth posted:

xbox financing

Sweet! Now I can do monthly payments on my xbone to play vidja games!!!! Mom!!! We need more Cheetos!!!!

The fact that the costs are comparable to buying outright (at least according to the article) means I don't think this is a bad idea necessarily. People who were going to game regardless maybe stretch themselves less thin with this financing plan. They own the console afterward like with phone financing.

But unlike phone financing, consoles aren't refreshed every year or two and trying to get you to ditch the previous and totally obsolete, guys model and get a new shiny thing nearly as often.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SpelledBackwards posted:

The fact that the costs are comparable to buying outright (at least according to the article) means I don't think this is a bad idea necessarily. People who were going to game regardless maybe stretch themselves less thin with this financing plan. They own the console afterward like with phone financing.

But unlike phone financing, consoles aren't refreshed every year or two and trying to get you to ditch the previous and totally obsolete, guys model and get a new shiny thing nearly as often.

How about special edition consoles?

Like when Sony puts out a God of War edition PS4. I'm assuming they aren't marketing to some rando still rocking a PS3 whose been holding off buying a 4 year old next-gen console until it's the right color. Someone must be buying extra consoles because it's their favorite game series. This subscription deal may be for gamers who want to ditch all their Gears of War Xbox equity for a Halo Xbox that's got the exact same internals.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh as long as I could still afford rent and stuff I'd happily take a substantial pay cut if it meant getting a job I liked over one I find bad, that just seems like the dude has different priorities in life then you more then anything

Just like most jobs, I'm sure you'd grow to hate it eventually for reasons that aren't immediately obvious.

But even if taking a pay cut for your dream job is GWL, it's almost definitely BWM.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If nothing else, if you're willing to sacrifice material comfort for the job of your dreams, then go for it. But clearly he's not doing that or gonna do that so the financial trainwreck when he loses half his income when he's already underwater will be something best appreciated from a safe distance.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm gonna have a hard time passing judgment on that without knowing what he gets to do outdoors. It's hard to put a dollar amount on some of those jobs.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/99097/i-want-a-brand-new-car-thats-43-668-at-17-18-years-old

I want a brand new car that's $43,668 at 17-18 years old

quote:

I'm Kyle from Arizona. I'm looking to get a brand new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that's around 43,000 at 17 years old. I turn 18 in 4 months. I work at one job where I usually make around 1200 a month. Right now I have 600$ in my bank account and I'm not planning to spend any more money at all until I turn 18. The down payment is 10% so around $5,000. The APR of the place near me that sells them is 4.28%. The duration is 60 months and it's around $800 a month.

I'm 17 so I don't have any credit at all. My friend told me to ask my parents to put my name on a credit card to add to their account so I can gain credit when they use their cards? Not too sure how that works. Can someone tell me a good way of going about this so I can try to get that car on or around my birthday?

My mom does a lot of finance stuff for a big company and all she has told me is that I should get a cheaper car, but I desperately need this one and I'm willing to work for it. I'm getting a second job to get more money rolling in. My mom said the only way it would work is if I did a downpayment of 20 or 15k. Also, she said not everyone can qualify for a car like that. What can get me to qualify asap as soon as I turn 18?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

Why do you "desperately need" this car? Your mom's advice sounds good to me. – BrenBarn 8 hours ago

quote:

Because I want it. – kyledrake17 8 hours ago

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
To be fair we'd let that same kid sign up for $200,000 of student loans to get a studio arts degree...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm gonna have a hard time passing judgment on that without knowing what he gets to do outdoors. It's hard to put a dollar amount on some of those jobs.

If I could do it over, I think maybe I should have been a geologist.

I read Annals of the Former World and oh man, the overwhelming sense of awe and perspective when you look at rocks billions of years old :swoon:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm a geologist and if I could do it over again, I'd have stuck with computer science.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

To be fair we'd let that same kid sign up for $200,000 of student loans to get a studio arts degree...

Seriously, all I could think in reading that was "probably a better choice than financing an art history major"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Software Developer is the best effort-to-guillotine ratio of careers. You do not need a degree and once you're established you basically never can't find a job.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seriously, all I could think in reading that was "probably a better choice than financing an art history major"

How is this relevant though? I skimmed the thread quickly so maybe I missed something but is the kid trying to go to art school as well or what?

A 17 year old wanting a 40k car is an immensely stupid idea regardless

E: don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you can't just get a 200k student loan just like that, either. They're gonna wanna have your parents on the hook because lol, it's a 200k loan. Just like with a car loan.

During my younger dumber days I almost borrowed 10k a year to go to a state uni and nobody was magically extending these bottomless student loans to me. It would have had to have been a parent plus loan, in which case the parent is the idiot who hosed up, not the shortsighted teenager who can't get the loan on their own.

I ultimately did not go to that school for the record

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 28, 2018

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

KingSlime posted:

E: don't quote me on thisbut I'm pretty sure you can't just get a 200k student loans just like that, either. They're gonna wanna have your parents on the hook because lol, it's a 200k loan

oh honey

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KingSlime posted:

How is this relevant though? I skimmed the thread quickly so maybe I missed something but is the kid trying to go to art school as well or what?

A 17 year old wanting a 40k car is an immensely stupid idea regardless

E: don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you can't just get a 200k student loan just like that, either. They're gonna wanna have your parents on the hook because lol, it's a 200k loan.

During my younger dumber days I almost borrowed 10k a year to go to a state uni and nobody was magically extending these bottomless student loans to me. It would have had to have been a parent plus loan, in which case the parent is the idiot who hosed up, not the shortsighted teenager who can't get the loan on their own.

I ultimately did not go to that school for the record

It's not from the thread, just a thought that he's not going to qualify for a 40,000 loan for a car, but he would absolutely qualify for a 200,000 loan that hamstrings his income for the rest of his life.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
On his own or with a parent plus loan? Maybe the schools you apply to also determine the caps, or it varies state by state.

Either way lol at getting 40k in the hole for a god drat set of wheels at 17. The counterpoint here is that you can get a solid, valuable degree or tons of certs that will pave the way towards riches for less than that

E:

I specifically asked you not to quote me!! :argh:

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The federal, not quite as terrifying, student loans wouldn't let anyone take out 200k in loans. At least not for bachelor's degrees. Not sure about med school and such.

Private lenders don't have that same limitation.