Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1 Get a Drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To get a drink

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Nobody here but us drinkers.

quote:

"To get a drink."

"Nothing wrong with that," she notes and holsters her pistol absently. It is still easy enough for her to draw either of her weapons but at least she'll have to do more than swing the barrel around to hit you. "Take a seat, none too close now, stranger."

She pours herself a generous shot then salutes you with her tumbler and downs the drink with a single toss, "Not the best, but it ain't even noon. Best not to have more'n three shots in you before then, even if they ain't all whiskey."

1. "Can I ask about that cut you got there?"

quote:

She glances down at the long slash of dried blood on her leg; a shallow cut that got turned by her boot, "Don't rightly know. I musta been drunk."
1A. "You should have that wrapped."
1B. "Looks bad."
1C. "Does it hurt?"

2. "What's your name?"

quote:

"Miss Caraway," she says. "That's all you'll get from me on that."
2A. "Caraway? Unusual name."
2B. "No surname?"
2C. "Got a nickname?"
2D. "Can I call you Carrie?"

3. "What were you shooting at?"

quote:

"Nothing. I was shooting at nothing and I hit it," she says then gives a little chuckle as taps a finger atop the table beside her empty shot-glass.
3A. "I believe you."
3B. "And I appreciate you not making me clean things up."
3C. "Missed on purpose? I've heard that before."

4. "That fella who fled, did he do something to piss you off?"

quote:

"Why, I'm the soul of friendliness," she says and flashes you a smile that could tear the head off a snake. "And yeah, he asked if he could give me a hand. Turns out, he wasn't talking about that cut."
4A. Keep talking
4B. "I'd like to take a look at that cut."

5. "You always drink whiskey this early?"

quote:

"Who says its early? Could just be real late," she bats back at you.
5A. "I'd like to take a look at that cut."
5B. "We should settle this with a drinking competition."

6. Drink the whiskey.
7. "Let's move on."

As with Tumbleweed Jack, Miss Caraway has a good-sized dialogue tree with many different options, with some going even deeper than the options I've listed so far (which we'll cover if we go there). There's a lot of different ways this can play out, so how are we going to approach it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Not sure which options move things ahead, but I’ll try 1.B, 2. A, 3. A., then 5. B. Put her at ease, then start a drinking competition. I’ve never actually done that in my own play throughs, don’t know what stats are involved, and it might be fun!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

1C, 2C, 3A, 4B, 5B

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

6 then 1A then 3B

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2C. "Got a nickname?" Is it Calamity?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comstar posted:

Good calls, +1

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Comstar posted:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

2D. "Can I call you Carrie?"
4A. Keep talking

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
First thing's first, since we had one vote for drinking and no votes for not drinking, we might as well do what we said we were going to do and have ourselves a shot.

quote:

Drink the whiskey

The whiskey is like liquid fire flung itself down your throat. Bracing to the heart and head.

Miss Caraway absently unholsters and sets her pistol on the table beside the bottle then retrieves her own shot-glass and raises it in salute.

"No sense letting a woman drink alone," she notes then tosses it back.

At least it calmed her down. Onto the conversation topics.

quote:

"Got a nickname?"

"Everyone does, whether they want one or not," she replies evenly.

Then I remembered there's exclusive branches in the path here.

quote:

"You should have that wrapped."

"Should I?" she scoffs. "Of course I should. That's why I came in here."

"I'd like to take a look at that cut."
Continue talking.

quote:

"We should settle things with a drinking competition." (+5 Caraway)
"Drinking contest?" she asks and gives a little smile. "There ain't enough time for that. But if'n you want a challenge, we can shoot targets for the bragging rights instead."

Accept the shooting challenge instead.
Decline.

quote:

"And I appreciate you not making me clean things up." (+5 Caraway)

"Ah, cleaning up is easy. That's what we got buckets fer," she notes then tilts head in question. "Don't we?"

"But I'd hate to stain a bucket like that."

quote:

"Wouldn't be the first time," she notes, "have to wonder how things would have come out between us though.",
"I suggest a competition." (Note: it's the shooting competition mentioned earlier)
Try and gun her down.
"Look, you gotta come in."

quote:

"Hell no," she says bluntly. "I gots things to do."
Keep talking.
"I'd like to take a look at that cut."
"One of us should say good-bye."
Try and gun her down.
Try and take her into custody.

Many of these preceding options lock out other ones. So if we want to continue along, there are several different paths we could take here.

1. Try to take a look at the cut.
2. Target shooting competition.
3. "One of us should say good-bye."
4. Try to gun her down.
5. Try and take her into custody.

What's it going to be?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dang, I was hoping to drink her under the table! Let’s do some Target shooting, I guess. Probably the best way to handle this based on our stats.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Target Shooting

We don't have enough evidence to arrest her yet - for all we know this setup could have been self defense and she'd be pressing charges on the person who was ridden out.

But, we need more info, and getting on her good side should help - the person who runs the bar is the best person to have info.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shooting competition it is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shooting competition is fine. I assume the bar has whiskey and an adequate supply of glasses?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shooting competition.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Target shooting

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Well, we've clearly got a preference here, so let's see how we stack up.

quote:

"I suggest a competition."

Out back of the saloon, indeed the entire town, is a big patch of desert. Scrub and brush, armadillos, and scorpions too. Along one jut of rock someone has strewn about big cans, little cans, and littler tins. All of which are rife with bullet holes.

A glance to either side finds more than a few locals and prospectors paying heed to your little gambit with Caraway. What they see from you will no doubt spread like wildfire through the town.

Miss Caraway limps ahead until she's twenty some paces from the shiny array of targets, "You want the first shot?"

1. "Ladies first."
"Sure. I'll fire off…how many rounds?"

quote:

"Five rounds per," Miss Caraway suggests. "That is, unless you keep your hammer on a filled cylinder, which you shouldn't cause that's a good way to lose a toe if'n you bump or drop your iron."

2. "Five then."
3. "You know what, why don't you fire first."
4. "I'm firing six then."

"Feel free to start."

Who's up first? And if it's us, how many rounds are we firing?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 4. "I'm firing six then."

We keep six in the cylinder, because you never know when you might need that last shot.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
3. You go first. Let’s size up the competition before we shoot ourselves and let’s shoot five because yeah, we got six, but for all we know we might need the last shot still in the chamber when this is done. For reasons. If it’s there.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

achtungnight posted:

. . . let’s shoot five because yeah, we got six, but for all we know we might need the last shot still in the chamber when this is done. For reasons. If it’s there.

Can't argue with that logic, as long as the game records that we have 6 in the chamber, and not 5, when we inevitably need that last shot.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

4. "I'm firing six then."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
3. "You know what, why don't you fire first."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Letting Miss Caraway shoot first takes the lead.

quote:

"You know what, why don't you fire first."

Miss Caraway takes a look down range and points out bits of tin that gleam in the sun, "See that there can by the cactus, and the other one by the scorpion in the shade? Those two will start, the next two are by the sage brush and that little tin of what I think were salty sardines half stuck in the sand.…"

She picks out ten targets in sequence then unlimbers her twin pistols. The cacophony is rapid and decisive as those cans and tins go flying one by one. All but the second to last falls as one round zings off a bit of stone instead.

Schmidt comes charging round the corner at the flurry of gun-fire, pistol in hand. You wave him off and let the lady finish up. Carson, rifle in hand, eases back into shade some ways off. No matter what, he and Schmidt have got you covered.

Gun-smoke wafts in the wind as Miss Caraway holsters her irons and turns to you, "Nine of ten. Fast and accurate, which is all that matters in a gunfight. Well, to be honest its more important to hit your target than anything else. After all, if'n you don't get that, then you might as well not have fired. Your turn to ply some trade there."

As you unholster your weapon and she gives it the once over with an air of fondness; the weapon could be the triplet to her own twin weapons.

1. Pull my pistol and take aim.
2. Just shoot from the hip.
3. "Since you so kindly unloaded your pistols, I'll be taking you in."
4. Shoot her point blank.

Several possibilities now.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Broke.
Values:
Order: 57% Freedom: 43%
Honor: 58% Arbitrary: 42%
Law: 48% Individuality: 52%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 40%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 34%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 32%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 17%
Persuasion: 30%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 26%
Resolve: 37%

Influence
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 72%
Influence Caraway: 67%
Influence Preston: 80%
Influence Marshal James: 55%

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm not going to vote because I've played through this a few times already, but holy hell this choice kills me. This game really has so many layers. I never did the shooting competition and the fact that you can still shoot or arrest her is amazing!

It's weird because this game has so many branching decisions that are flashes in the pan and it's incredibly long. Even with the save system it's pretty laborious to go for different results. Thanks for showing it off.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
2. Just shoot from the hip.

Surely we can do it this early into the game?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Let's play it safe right now. If we fail at shooting from the hip, we might hit someone important. Like a dog, or Chairman Mao.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arrest her because that's hilarious

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 1. Pull my pistol and take aim.

So tempted to do this though; 3. "Since you so kindly unloaded your pistols, I'll be taking you in."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Two things I’ll laugh about- this isn’t the last time you can get someone to empty or put away their guns and then dishonorably shoot or arrest them, and that isn’t the most evil thing you can do to Caraway either in this scene. No spoilers, no further details, but this game is great.

Shoot from the hip. No shame in losing if we lose, she is pretty good and already fired nine times when she said it would be five.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Shoot from the hip, we're better at that than aiming.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shoot from the hip

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aim.. It's impossible for us to hit 9 targets with one gun, so we have to hit 100% instead.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Aim.. It's impossible for us to hit 9 targets with one gun, so we have to hit 100% instead.

This makes sense to me

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Aim

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like accuracy wins out in a last minute push.

quote:

Pull my pistol and take aim.

"Good thing those cans ain't shooting back," Miss Caraway notes as you bring the iron sights to bear. The revolver barks in slow succession and sends four of the five cans flying. The fifth though, stubbornly stays up.

"We're even," Miss Caraway notes as the last bit of tin ceases to clatter. "What's that mean to you?"

1. "I have to take you in."
2. "I'm not arresting you."

Still was only enough to tie Miss Caraway, so we both missed one. Now what do we do about her?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Vote for 2

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Not arresting you. Disturbing the peace with a gunshot in the Wild West isn’t really a big deal and it’s all we got her on. Maybe she’ll owe us a favor or a fine next decision. Our jail needs a little fixing up anyway. I think we’ve gained respect with the shooting at least, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Not arresting you. Disturbing the peace with a gunshot in the Wild West isn’t really a big deal and it’s all we got her on. Maybe she’ll owe us a favor or a fine next decision. Our jail needs a little fixing up anyway. I think we’ve gained respect with the shooting at least, right?

More importantly, she runs the bar in town.

FREE BOOZE FOR LIFE