Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She probably got herself pregnant on your goonseed, ha ha you’re trapt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Bust Rodd posted:

She probably got herself pregnant on your goonseed, ha ha you’re trapt

You’re gonna wish you were only paying montly donations to the cult when you get stung with child support.

You’re going to be paying like 3 times the regular rate because the child hungers eternally

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

You’re gonna wish you were only paying montly donations to the cult when you get stung with child support.

You’re going to be paying like 3 times the regular rate because the child hungers eternally

Isn't this what Kenny from South Park turned out to be

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

Long story short, they drugged me. I'm not sure with what, but my experience seemed similar to GHB. All I remember is hazily waking up to the girl having sex with me while the other leaders watched before blacking out again. When I came to about 5 hours later only the leaders were still there and they asked me if I was "contacted" by the other dimension god thing during the "ceremony".

This sounds almost exactly like the Hashishim.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rent for the new god

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cult girl has probably hosed everyone in that room.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do a schism!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Bill Cosby posted:

Do a schism!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm expecting the followup if there is one to be whining that cult leader rape girl isn't paying as much attention to him anymore now that he joined and she's loving some other guy now.

If that happens cult goon, no matter how sad you are that she's not raping you anymore, don't offer yourself up as a sacrifice in some ritual they cook up to bring the other god through, no matter how much she promises to bang you in the afterlife.

also maybe umm don't participate in any of the future rapings. "It was for a cult" isn't a valid legal defense.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, if he works his way up, he could rape people himself!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
He could cut out the middle man and rape himself

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cult girl has probably hosed everyone in that room.

Just lol if you aren't into that
I mean sacred prostitution is the hottest poo poo ever, even if it's monthly instead of per act

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

The premise for this cult kind of reminds me of Zeus and the "new gods" taking down Cronus and the "old gods", I wonder if Cronus had any cults like this back in the day

Probably, there were certainly Roman cult's to Saturn complete with child sacrifices etc. I mean there are still people worshiping Saturn now, hopefully without the child sacrifices.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

General note to the thread: if you have a problem with my extremely minimal standards regarding what feshes do or do not get posted, and you get an urge to send in an email complaining about it, you should probably take into account that I don't give a poo poo

quote:

I have a drinking problem. Or, I wish I had a drinking problem. I dunno. I drink almost daily, but excessively, like 1-2 glasses of whiskey 4-5 days a week + maybe a few beers. I work from home and drink this over the course of a day (6-8 hours), so I'm never actually drunk in any noticeable way. My wife doesn't know (I think), and I constantly keep the whiskey bottles topped up and beer cans stocked so she won't notice any missing. It doesn't effect my day to day life, and if I actually give a drat I can go a week without drinking no problem.

The problem is I don't want to. I want to drink. I watch movies were the protagonist is an alcoholic and I'm supposed to think they're bad because they're drinking, but I only feel jealous. I want to be like them. I wish I could drink more.

I know part of why I drink is because I'm depressed, and I hate myself. I cope with stress and anxiety by drinking. I take a drink, and I stop feeling sad. I know that's a big loving warning sign. I'm keeping my drinking secret. That's also a big loving warning sign. I just don't want to stop. The idea of having to stop drinking alcohol is literally terrifying to me.

I feel like we do somewhat romanticize people who are a huge loving self-destructive mess in one way or another, but there's also plenty of examples of culture based around how terrible of an idea it is

Anyway, even if you aren't physically addicted to booze (which, y'know, jury's out on that one) you definitely seem to be psychologically addicted to it or the phrase "the idea of having to stop drinking alcohol is literally terrifying to me" would never come to mind. I say it's time to prove your hypothetical: try giving it up for a week. If you can't do that, yeah that pretty much decides the question of whether you have A Problem.

Alternately if you're sure the cause of it is depression, then you're so depressed it's driving you to substance abuse, and maybe you should take a crack at jumping right to curing the disease rather than treating the symptoms, by which I mean :therapy:

quote:

I poo poo in the urinal at Voodoo donuts. They wouldn't take my two dollar bill which is LEGAL TENDER I can pick any money I want to use.

So I pulled the "drunk girl needs to poo" card, went in and poo poo then immediately marched out WHO poo poo IN THE URINAL MEN ARE PIGS UGH I WANT TO GO HOME and quickly made a beeline for my car. Pretty sure the guy before me got blamed.

My confession is this isn't the first time I've poo poo in a urinal.

This is a dick move but I'm pretty sure that place has seen worse than you so don't get a big head over it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think it's somewhat telling about my own habits but it's hard not to scoff at someone describing 1-2 glasses of whiskey and a few beers as "excessive". Like to me that's just the start of a warmup for a night of drinking. Trust me goon, you don't want to see where it goes after that where you start measuring your drinking in bottles instead of glasses.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In the talk about alcohol you say you're trying to cope with depression and anxiety. IMO the alcohol isn't the most dangerous thing in your system right now. Know what I'm saying?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
making GBS threads in a urinal is a good way to say gently caress you

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it's somewhat telling about my own habits but it's hard not to scoff at someone describing 1-2 glasses of whiskey and a few beers as "excessive". Like to me that's just the start of a warmup for a night of drinking. Trust me goon, you don't want to see where it goes after that where you start measuring your drinking in bottles instead of glasses.

Well it’s not just you. I often see drinking levels described on SA as ‘problem’ and think ‘gently caress me I put that away before I even leave the house when I’m going out’.

I sometimes wonder if it’s a US thing and linked to the legal drinking age being higher than here (UK) but surely not every American is a wet blanket when it comes to getting their buzz on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

mm yeah this is kinda what i was thinking

i know a girl who consistently drinks 2 bottles of wine (=16 standard drinks) a day. i've seen people on these forums talk about putting away 10 to 20 beers at a ball game like it's a nice easy sunday afternoon. up to 2 drinks a day is still considered normal and low-risk for a man; 5 is not healthy but you've still got a long way to go to catch up with the real hardened drunks.

the distribution is super weird, too. nearly half of the adult population is apparently teetotal, so the median number of drinks per week is zero -- but you've got the top 10% consuming three times as much booze as the remaining 90% put together. i drink about two beers a week, which is absolutely fine and healthy according to all medical knowledge, but putting it as "you drink more than 70% of americans" is frightening and certainly would make me feel like i had a problem.

point is, OP, your drinking is actually pretty benign and you should be more concerned about fixing the depression that makes you wish you were a bigger boozer imo

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 28, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
For men it's considered heavy, at risk drinking if it's more than four drinks in a day or 14 a week. Because of the nature of alcohol if you get over 14 a week long enough it's not a matter of if you develop a problem but when. Long enough varies a lot. Some people can soak themselves in booze daily for three years on then quit and have no issues. Others get a nasty addiction after the first sip. For women the numbers are lower but I forget them.

That doesn't mean you automatically have a problem if you have a few a day but do keep tabs on it. That can easily get very out of control if you don't pay attention. Long term heavy alcohol consumption is also associated with some pretty nasty health effects so you know, be careful.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

making GBS threads in a urinal is a good way to say 'I'm not housebroken'

Sagebrush posted:

the distribution is super weird, too. nearly half of the adult population is apparently teetotal, so the median number of drinks per week is zero -- but you've got the top 10% consuming three times as much booze as the remaining 90% put together

Much like income, it's more like the bottom 90% needs to get their loving poo poo together and quit dragging the median down :lofty:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

mm yeah this is kinda what i was thinking

i know a girl who consistently drinks 2 bottles of wine (=16 standard drinks) a day. i've seen people on these forums talk about putting away 10 to 20 beers at a ball game like it's a nice easy sunday afternoon. up to 2 drinks a day is still considered normal and low-risk for a man; 5 is not healthy but you've still got a long way to go to catch up with the real hardened drunks.

the distribution is super weird, too. nearly half of the adult population is apparently teetotal, so the median number of drinks per week is zero -- but you've got the top 10% consuming three times as much booze as the remaining 90% put together. i drink about two beers a week, which is absolutely fine and healthy according to all medical knowledge, but putting it as "you drink more than 70% of americans" is frightening and certainly would make me feel like i had a problem.

point is, OP, your drinking is actually pretty benign and you should be more concerned about fixing the depression that makes you wish you were a bigger boozer imo

note that the histogram folds in on itself, becoming insanely useless for actually gauging measure

also note the nicely fat tailled distribution
1% of drinkers drink somethin like 20% the alcohol

nothing you give a poo poo about is gaussian
your distributional ansatz is to start w/ a pareto distribution

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Adding in to say that's about the amount I was drinking as a work-at-home creative type in my twenties. Just... that amount should stay level or go down over time. If you find it increasing you could be in trouble.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you actually take week breaks here and there, and don’t just think you can you should be fairly ok for a few years.

One of my uncles died at 52 from alcoholism related complications and he maxed out at a bottle a day. The trick is to keep eating and drinking water. I remember in his last year he didn’t bother to eat, the body couldn’t hold anything down but liquor.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah everybody going "that's nothing" needs to keep in mind those are per-day numbers. How much you drink when you're trying to get drunk on purpose to have a good time vs how much you drink compulsively every day because it makes the sadness go away are kind of two different figures.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nooner posted:

making GBS threads in a urinal is a good way to say gently caress you

… to a cleaner on minimum wage.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

monkeytennis posted:

Well it’s not just you. I often see drinking levels described on SA as ‘problem’ and think ‘gently caress me I put that away before I even leave the house when I’m going out’.

I sometimes wonder if it’s a US thing and linked to the legal drinking age being higher than here (UK) but surely not every American is a wet blanket when it comes to getting their buzz on.

It's because you're an alcoholic and surround yourself with alcoholics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

"Pregaming" at home alone before going out to drink at a pub is alcoholism hth

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress yeah. Don’t forget to postgame as well.

Any American’s opinion on binge drinking is full on classic American Exceptionalism

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

In the sixth circle of drinking you get one cup of coffee per week.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sagebrush posted:

It's probably defensible if you're just trying to save money by getting a couple cheap drinks in at home before you start paying bar prices. Especially if you live in Scandinavia, where a 0.5L beer is like $10 (and yet they're still a bunch of alcoholics because what the hell else are you going to do during the wintertime).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Incoherence posted:

It's probably defensible if you're just trying to save money by getting a couple cheap drinks in at home before you start paying bar prices. Especially if you live in Scandinavia, where a 0.5L beer is like $10 (and yet they're still a bunch of alcoholics because what the hell else are you going to do during the wintertime).

If your goal is to just get drunk though, which it must be, then just stay at home. Like you say, it's cheaper and literally everyone else out will thank you for it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

loquacius posted:

Yeah everybody going "that's nothing" needs to keep in mind those are per-day numbers. How much you drink when you're trying to get drunk on purpose to have a good time vs how much you drink compulsively every day because it makes the sadness go away are kind of two different figures.

I looked back at the OP after this and I think it might matter how much a "glass" of whiskey is and how often there are a few beers.

I don't think 1-3 servings of alcohol stretched across a day is terrible but that description could be covering for a lot more than that. And hiding it from his wife is bad sign (if for no other reason than it being stressful and depressing, creating a positive feedback loop).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL guys here’s the most basic and important part of that.

If you are hiding a behavior... and it’s not surreptitiously wrapping Christmas presents... then it’s because you feel guilty because you know it’s wrong. The actual volume of alcohol isn’t as important as you psychologically reenforcing the idea that what your doing is wrong, or pathological.

Stop hiding it, talk to your wife or doctor about it, that’s the only way to come out on top.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Americans' opinions on alcohol and drugs should be 1000% ignored. our culture is not even close to being able to talk honestly about mind altering chemicals. there is still too much protestant righteousness for people to admit that they like to alter their consciousness. 35% of Americans have never had a drink? give me a loving break. that chart is just a testament that Americans like to lie about their vices so they can judge people

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't want to get into a whole argument about how much individual posters drink (I'm not your mom) but I'd suggest reviewing the current scientific literature and recommendations before deciding a level of alcohol is medically safe. I think there's been some revisions to the scientific understanding and national recommendations of a few countries as of last year.

I agree generally with the thread - if it's bothering anon-op, no matter what the level of consumption is, such that he's hiding it from people and idolizing alcoholism in media, that's some kinda problem. Anon, talk to people about it. Let the light in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not "have never had a drink," it's "don't have a drink per week." Why do you think the top couple deciles aren't lying about their intake, or do you think they are? If everyone is consuming so much more than they claim, you'd think it wouldn't add up with alcohol sales in the country.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL guys here’s the most basic and important part of that.

If you are hiding a behavior... and it’s not surreptitiously wrapping Christmas presents... then it’s because you feel guilty because you know it’s wrong. The actual volume of alcohol isn’t as important as you psychologically reenforcing the idea that what your doing is wrong, or pathological.

Stop hiding it, talk to your wife or doctor about it, that’s the only way to come out on top.

But that's half the fun!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Incoherence posted:

You mean you don't jump on the Talinn ferry to buy cases of dirt cheap duty free?

Amateur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not "have never had a drink," it's "don't have a drink per week." Why do you think the top couple deciles aren't lying about their intake, or do you think they are? If everyone is consuming so much more than they claim, you'd think it wouldn't add up with alcohol sales in the country.

I have no idea if the amount reported actually adds up with sales. I'm also assuming that no one lies about drinking a 12 pack every day, but I suppose they could be boasting. but the fourth decile is once per year, so if you report under that you either never drink or you are a liar. I guess there are people like that out there but I don't want to know them