Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Current issue is there seems to be a 12 hour timer on each quest which makes you get extremely reduced valor after you already got your 'semi-daily' reward. Seems pretty weird and unnecessary, but it's a per-quest deal so it'll become less and less of a problem as time goes on, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lost connection, kicked from the game. Love this modern mobile app stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
this is buy in access only right?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I find the back-and-forth a bit more interesting than the base game sort of just dumping a ton of stuff.

And yeah, the VA is a bit hit-and-miss: something seems off about legolas' audio.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

this is buy in access only right?

At the moment. The cheapest option isn't too bad though, for the price. They're not planning to wipe the servers either after early access, which is unusual.

Edit: Just finished the campaign, and it was really good. No matter what the other issues are, the actual gameplay is very good.

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 28, 2018

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I'm really enjoying the digital version of LOTR LCG as well. I was worried about all the changes they were making when translating it from tabletop to digital, but so far everything they added/removed/tinkered with seems to work out just fine.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I ran through the first quest on Easy with a default deck and Normal with a Faramir Gimli Legolas deck I built. Difficulty seemed equal on both levels, and I scored 215 on Easy and 210 on Normal. It seems very difficult to get up to the 250 you need to get a lootbox, but I guess the first time you do that you get three lootboxes so I guess they want to gate it a bit. Like, maybe you're supposed to waste a bunch of extra turns putting Willpower into the Fate abilities to increase your score at the end of the run?

Game seems fun though. I will probably play just 1-2 quests a day for a while so that I don't burn out all the content in a single weekend.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The UI is a bit of a mess but the game seems fun, even at this super basic level. I wonder if PVP is in the pipeline, given how they set up Sauron this time. Like even if it's just another character using a premade Sauron deck, I think it'd be...a challenge. But fixing fundamentals like random stalls, UI, and various other bugs/glitches are way higher priority, but I guess that's what early access is for.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Welp Sauron just played a thing that said "deal 2 damage to three different characters" and proceeded to do 2 damage three times to the same hero, instantly killing them. C'mon man.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Wow, rude. I saw someone have to sit through sauron getting three attacks in a row so yeah there's still bugs. :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel like something is a bit off with the health/damage economy in this game. Like I think a lot of enemies just have too many drat hit points, which I think is a consequence of losing the defense stat. Like the one Threat event that shits out 3 or something spiders shits out 12 (!) hit points worth of spiders on the board that do 6 hit point worth of damage a turn, which seems like a hell of a lot even if they don't have pursue. And I've found the ease of quests is directly linked to whether or not Gimli gets a Dwarven Axe early, since I think it's kinda ridiculous that his damage output doubles from one attachment. Like, that's a not insignificant boost and while it makes the axe feel powerful, it also makes an unequipped Gimli feel weak as poo poo. Like I think I basically ride or die on Gimli having some combination of Dwarven Axe, Raiment of War/Dwarven Shield, and Unexpected Courage to just splat things.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The starter hobbit is really good. Eats up the strongest enemy's attack every turn. Compared to Arwen's 1 heal per turn it's amazing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sassassin posted:

The starter hobbit is really good. Eats up the strongest enemy's attack every turn. Compared to Arwen's 1 heal per turn it's amazing.

Arwen gets 1 heal per turn AND 3 will, whereas Took only gets the damage prevention (which is no doubt still useful).

Playing it some more, the UI definitely needs some more work. Even something like showing Top Score, which heroes you've used on quest unlocks, whether or not a quest has "refreshed" and gives you VP, etc. On the battlefield, I think enemies need some indication that they either have special text and/or get icons for keywords, especially Pursue. And while the deckbuilder seems manageable right now, I get the feeling it'll be super annoying once the cardbase expands.

A lot of the Steam reviews are complaining about the pricing model. I didn't find it particularly egregious, but I also have Stockholm Syndrome from spending $10/month for the actual LCG, so my economic perspective is skewed. I guess for a videogame, the number of microtransactions is a lot, but ti seems about on par with the LCG.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I doubt it’s specifically what people on Steam are complaining about, but for me the biggest problem is that it’s not clear how much a playset of all playable cards costs. For every FFG LCG paper product, it’s always been “three cores plus each monthly release” and you can calculate that out. Here, I can’t even see a way where you can buy the Valor Cards you want if you run out of dust, and the total dust cost of a complete collection is nebulous.

The whole point of an LCG is you start with all the cards and you can build any deck you want.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Boco_T posted:

I doubt it’s specifically what people on Steam are complaining about, but for me the biggest problem is that it’s not clear how much a playset of all playable cards costs. For every FFG LCG paper product, it’s always been “three cores plus each monthly release” and you can calculate that out. Here, I can’t even see a way where you can buy the Valor Cards you want if you run out of dust, and the total dust cost of a complete collection is nebulous.

The whole point of an LCG is you start with all the cards and you can build any deck you want.

This has been my hesitation. I already spent a buttload on the paper lcg and while I want to check this out, I’d feel much more comfortable if there was a ‘buy the entire game’ option. I’m also wary of the valor system as a whole in an exclusively single player digital card game. It reeks of the more predatory IAP mobile games.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

It's not exclusively single player, it'll be co-op :v:

And at the moment, it's not too hard to get the valor you need to get two copies of every card over a couple weeks of playing, though they are planning to fiddle with the currency thing, it's one of the things they're looking at with early access, so hopefully it'll get better.

(Tips: Use valor to buy two copies of every common card for the cheaper price, then use the 'gacha' pulls for the rest of the cards, since it's set up so it will never give you any dupes beyond the two copies of a card you can fit into a deck)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

It's not exclusively single player, it'll be co-op :v:

And at the moment, it's not too hard to get the valor you need to get two copies of every card over a couple weeks of playing, though they are planning to fiddle with the currency thing, it's one of the things they're looking at with early access, so hopefully it'll get better.

(Tips: Use valor to buy two copies of every common card for the cheaper price, then use the 'gacha' pulls for the rest of the cards, since it's set up so it will never give you any dupes beyond the two copies of a card you can fit into a deck)

Hah. I knew someone was gonna call me out on that. Same thing as far as my point was concerned. Fair enough. I obviously haven’t actually tried it yet, and I’ll probably throw a few bucks at it during EA just to try it and give some more constructive feedback & criticism. The other odd thing I noted last night was the actual description of what each founders tier did was collapsed under some completely unrelated header on the store page so it took me a while just to figure out what the hell each tier was. I’m assuming that’s just sloppy page design that’ll be fixed sooner than later.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

That's actually just how the steam store page works, if you ever add headers like that it'll get collapsed by default. It's kinda crummy when they want to put that kind of info in it, but you'll see that happening to lots of different things on the steam store, usually with games having the 'digital deluxe' rewards or whatever listed there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm assuming buying the missions first makes more sense as you get access to an extra ~200 valour per day for each one you own, while heroes are a single 50 valour reward per first completion of each quest.

Game is very light in content if you go in with only the first quest available.

edit: The first two quests are boring bullshit spider spam as well. Hardly a compelling advert for the game.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 29, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Gameplay seems fine but dropping 12 points of health and 6 damage on the board with the first Threat level is nasty. Died a couple of times until I added the Dwarven Axe to the deck and got it on my first draw.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sassassin posted:

The first two quests are boring bullshit spider spam as well. Hardly a compelling advert for the game.

To be fair, the Core and first cycle of quests in the LCG were also boring as hell. I think they should give at least like the first 2-3 for free, though, at least up until the part where Gollum betrays you (I have no idea if I need to spoil the plot of an LOTR LCG but whatever), since that's a decent cliffhanger and introduces a wider variety of gameplay than spider swarms that are somehow way more annoying/powerful than most orcs. Whichever one forces you to choose which of your heroes don't get cocooned is a fun introduction to the importance of using those Fate powers, plus the next one after that has the split paths. I get the feeling a lot of people will try the first quest, which is not only dull but also hard as hell.

Did anyone not get their completion bonus for finishing the entire campaign? I got a pop up that said I got 250 VP and a Palantir, but I didn't actually get it :(

Also if anyone was thinking about farming VP, doing a scenario on Hard gives you a 50 VP bonus, which doesn't get reduced by the time lock.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 29, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I haven't checked this out yet because I'd rather wait for an iOS app release but I remember people saying that they removed shadow cards, is that still the case and how does the game fare without them? Overall how are the changes?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't checked this out yet because I'd rather wait for an iOS app release but I remember people saying that they removed shadow cards, is that still the case and how does the game fare without them? Overall how are the changes?

Shadow cards are sorta gone and sorta not. Sauron is basically an AI player with its own deck, so it occasionally plays cards that sorta act like shadow cards (or, rather, are attachments and other various effects). In other words, it's less turn-to-turn variability and more a consequence of AI scripting and card draw. That being said, what I've seen so far are really basic effects (+2 Atk attachment, attachment that gives a keyword, +1 threat event, etc), so maybe they'll be more creative in the future. I imagine at some point they'll implement a head to head mode, seeing as how they're already planning on doing multiplayer, but wow the difficulty would skyrocket with a Sauron playing with the cunning of a real player.

The other big change is that there's no defense stat anymore, either, so everything just has more HP. There's also a new "guard" action for characters, where they basically get a taunt + counterattack effect, which...sorta simulates what defense did?

I don't really mind the changes and I've been enjoying myself well enough, but hopefully they start showing more creative cards/scenarios/etc.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shadow cards are now basically Hearthstone Secrets.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Quests 3 & 4 are better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the game. It’s different but still fun and challenging imho.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

sassassin posted:

Quests 3 & 4 are better.

I love those darn quests. 3 might be my favorite just because of how many different things are in it, even with how insanely long it is.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is it worth it to get any of the other packs? or is the Shire pack enough?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The main difference is honestly the currency it gives you, but it sounds like they're going to overhaul the currency system so... shire should be fine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there a rough timeline for when they're releasing more cards/heroes/campaigns? I saw something about x heroes by full release but when even if full release expected?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

With all this talk of the digital version of the game, I'm just desperately hoping they start reprinting the Dwarrowdelf cycle because some of those adventure packs are the only missing spots in my entire collection. Come on, Fantasy Flight, you can do it!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Speaking of the card game, The Withered Heath is a good pack. The scenario is a bit livelier than Wilds of Rhovanion with a cute mechanic of the big bad retreating to lick its wounds but it's all about the player cards.

Guardian of Esgaroth and Squire's Helm work really well for the holding pattern system of attachment juggling that makes Dale really pop. You can put a Helm on Redwater Sentry for free and then move it off later when you want to get your Raiment/Hauberk super defender going. The Guardians can take whatever if they come out early, or later take the stuff you only put on Long Lake Trader for card draw.

Long Lake Fisherman is my surprise pick though. He's rarely dead, if you have nothing else to play/no resources left you can say 0 for Bow of Yew or Spare Hood and Cloak, 1 gets you either a cheap item or Traffic from Dale (and you just keep on going) and 2 is your pick from King of Dale, Steward or up to 4 different allies.

ps: Dale is as bonkers as predicted, I'm running a version with only three events (Traffic from Dale) and it's still destroyed a dozen quests from different cycles.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing I don’t like is how hard it is to build decks interface wise. Or Atleast to me

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

On their stream today, FFI confirmed that they're just going to remove the whole time lock thing and you'll always get full rewards with the next update (which is tonight), so that didn't take long for them to do. :v:

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 30, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gloomy Rube posted:

On their stream today, FFI confirmed that they're just going to remove the whole time lock thing and you'll always get full rewards with the next update (which is tonight), so that didn't take long for them to do. :v:

A part of me kinda hopes they don't adjust the pricing model too much and give in to the entitled Steam population, since I get the feeling the only thing that would work for them is absolutely free, but I want this game to get supported long-term (and for them to put out Arkham Horror), especially since it seems like it's set up so that it's entirely on the host servers? I.e., if the game goes down, it goes down entirely like an MMO?

And honestly, I don't find the current VP rate too bad, although that is predicated on having a full campaign. But with a full campaign, I can rake in about 1500 VP a go, which is about 2.5 days for a character unlock (or future scenario if they keep the same VP cost). Like, that's honestly not too bad of an unlock rate. I think people are just used to games like Hearthstone and Shadowverse making GBS threads out free cards all the time, but actually getting the specific key cards you need costs a gently caress lot more dust than what FFI has done.

Also, Sauron keeps loving putting Block on that giant loving slug and then it hits the Threat that full heals it argh gently caress that fight.

Edit: Why do I get the weird feeling that they'd remove the time locks but lower the VP output per quest? I think that'd be a lot worse than having the time locks, honestly.

Edit 2: Is Stalwart not supposed to work with activated abilities? I thought I found a sweet "combo" with Tom Took but apparently not.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 30, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Stalwart normally works with activated abilities, you'll wanna report that as a bug :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

First campaign is now fully unlocked, with refunds for people who have already unlocked it. Although I just logged in and didn't get anything for it, so maybe it hasn't been updated yet?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So what’s the next most efficient use of valor? Character packs and then Common cards so the Palantir can only pick the expensive ones?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

So what’s the next most efficient use of valor? Character packs and then Common cards so the Palantir can only pick the expensive ones?

Buy the specific cards you want and have fun with the palantir rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

First campaign is now fully unlocked, with refunds for people who have already unlocked it. Although I just logged in and didn't get anything for it, so maybe it hasn't been updated yet?

The campaign unlocked but now refund yet.

And no palantir point for completing the campaign.