Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Didnt he just blame his wife for everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

Yes but wasn’t it in a passive aggressive “don’t ask me, ask my wife” kind of way?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

can we please loving primary schumer?

McConnell is also playing douchebag hardball, keeping the Senate in session for short bursts and keeping Democratic incumbent Senators away from the campaign trail (in red states) whike their challengers can campaign.

Outside of the blue slip thing described earlier, that's probably another Schumer consideration.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey so the return of catholic institutionalized abuse to the spotlight has also brought some attention back to the buried 100+ year history of nuns straight up murking orphans.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christinekenneally/orphanage-death-catholic-abuse-nuns-st-josephs

quote:

When bearing witness to the most disturbing experiences of Vermont’s children became too much, White would find the steepest ski slope and fly down, screaming his head off all the way, until he felt calm enough to return to his work.

I think we could all use a steep ski slope right about now

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Yes!

quote:

“When I went to Iraq in 2003, the first time, I gave her power of attorney, and she handled my finances throughout my entire military career and that continued on when I got into Congress,” Hunter said referring to his wife. “She was also the campaign manager so whatever she did, that'll be looked at too, I'm sure. But I didn't do it. I didn't spend any money illegally.”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I feel like if you want to use the phrases

"power of attorney"
"rule of law"
and
"freedom of speech"

you need to pass some sort of basic competency quiz before you're allowed to say/print them on your own.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Duncan isn't retreating, he's attacking in a different direction

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pkells posted:

gently caress that, it’s pumpkin beer time, in a pint glass with with cinnamon sugar on the rim.

I can't do this anymore after getting horribly drunk drinking a bunch of Harpoon and Shipyard Pumpkin ales. The hangover was probably one of my worst.

Bring on the Oktoberfest Märzen's.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

boop the snoot posted:

I’d like to submit this to Merriam Webster as the new definition of “cognitive dissonance”

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1034226144889823232?s=21

You can ban anything except guns, lead or whatever in the water and air, and bad-faith appeals to a sense of Christian piety

all right there in the constitution

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-is-doubling-down-on-the-pedo-thing-1828662461

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

McConnell is also playing douchebag hardball, keeping the Senate in session for short bursts and keeping Democratic incumbent Senators away from the campaign trail (in red states) whike their challengers can campaign.

Outside of the blue slip thing described earlier, that's probably another Schumer consideration.

McCain dead. All the Dems don't show up, no quorum, nothing passes. He only has what power the Dems choose to give him now.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 28, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasn't Manafort supposed to be sentenced today?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Shits delayed on the 2nd trial front and there may actually be a poo poo deal in place

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But why would a plea deal on the state charges affect sentencing on the federal charges he was already convicted of

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

I feel like if you want to use the phrases

"power of attorney"
"rule of law"
and
"freedom of speech"

you need to pass some sort of basic competency quiz before you're allowed to say/print them on your own.

While PoAs are legally the same between the military and civilian worlds, they're conceptually quite different. In the military, general powers of attorney are what deploying servicemembers give their stripper girlfriends.
Yes, it's as bad as you can imagine.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Basically always do a special power of attorney iirc. General ones mean anything goes.

I wonder if you can change someones name using one?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fallom posted:

But why would a plea deal on the state charges affect sentencing on the federal charges he was already convicted of

If he takes a plea deal on his remaining charges (not all are state - I believe witness tampering is a federal charge pending as well) it can be used as a request for leniency or whatever at his sentencing. He faces up to 10 years right now. He might be able to negotiate something like 8 years for the rest of his charges and try to get that sentence concurrent with his current convictions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I guess that makes sense. He wouldn't have any motivation to cooperate if he already got nailed for the federal charges

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

joat mon posted:

While PoAs are legally the same between the military and civilian worlds, they're conceptually quite different. In the military, general powers of attorney are what deploying servicemembers give their stripper girlfriends.
Yes, it's as bad as you can imagine.

Right, so I think if you want to use that phrase, or its actual capacity, some schooling should be required. Also the other two were thrown in for laughs, but I'm finding it less funny now that our own president doesn't comprehend their actual meaning.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey guys about to deploy for a year just married my HS sweet heart who I never actually dated before per-se, but we were good friends. We’re thinking of getting a couple pit mixes before I deploy anyway I was going to get a general power of attorney

Which model Jeep do y’all recommend? She wanted fully loaded y’know for safety and the kids were gonna have. She wants something reliable so it cannot be older than 2018 maybe late 2017

also if you’re interested in body wraps catch me on the DM

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

hey guys about to deploy for a year just married my HS sweet heart who I never actually dated before per-se, but we were good friends. We’re thinking of getting a couple pit mixes before I deploy anyway I was going to get a general power of attorney

Which model Jeep do y’all recommend? She wanted fully loaded y’know for safety and the kids were gonna have. She wants something reliable so it cannot be older than 2018 maybe late 2017

also if you’re interested in body wraps catch me on the DM

Sounds like a solid plan, make sure you go to one of the dealerships right next to base because those guys really understand how to deal with military guys.

Plus with a one year deployment you should get back just in time to see your kid born.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

once it’s time for me to PCS what do I do with the dogs? 🤔

Also anyone know a good donation based vet or maybe one that does sliding scale payments??

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Eej posted:

I think we could all use a steep ski slope right about now

Yeah I had to stop well before the article was over, it uh... got to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
In other news, Iran sanctions are.... working?

Like the article says, it's hardly likely to produce regime change. But reducing Iran's ability to project power and limiting their ability to finance terrorism is an unequivocal success for America.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

In other news, Iran sanctions are.... working?

Like the article says, it's hardly likely to produce regime change. But reducing Iran's ability to project power and limiting their ability to finance terrorism is an unequivocal success for America.

Too bad the anger mango is too busy pissing off our second closest ally north of the equator in APAC to take credit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Looks like the democratic party in florida actually nominated a progressive for governor. Despite having a 50k lead in early voting, Gwen Graham now trails Andrew Gillum by 2% with 86% of the precincts reporting. It hasn't been officially called for Gillum, but he'd need basically zero votes in remaining precincts to lose.

e: Officially called for Gillum. This is huge. He's very progressive (endorsed in the primary by Bernie) and poised to be the first black governor of Florida.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 29, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey so the return of catholic institutionalized abuse to the spotlight has also brought some attention back to the buried 100+ year history of nuns straight up murking orphans.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christinekenneally/orphanage-death-catholic-abuse-nuns-st-josephs

My old man grew up in catholic orphanages during the 60s and 70s. Story checks out really well with the poo poo he told me about the orphanages in NY.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Gillum winning the primary is big time. That’s a huge upset.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iKon posted:

Gillum winning the primary is big time. That’s a huge upset.

Can't wait for more panicked thinkpiece op-eds by centrist wonks.

Thinkpiece? More like :thunk:piece

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
WHY THIS SHOCKING WIN IN FLORIDA IS GOING TO BE THE UNDOING OF BERNIE SANDERS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lmao the GOP FOIA’d the USPS and got an unredacted SF86 of a Democratic politician. Whoever managed that request ought to get loving crucified.

https://t.co/3TVUmmiILX

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 29, 2018

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1034523504597774336

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Andrea Mitchell had him on for 5 min and he was fantastically kind and funny about him

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Handsome Ralph posted:

I can't do this anymore after getting horribly drunk drinking a bunch of Harpoon and Shipyard Pumpkin ales. The hangover was probably one of my worst.

Bring on the Oktoberfest Märzen's.

I've been away from Boston for almost 10 years, so it's rare I can actually get a Shipyard served like that down south. It's still a once every couple years type of thing, so I haven't gotten sick of them yet.

Southern Tier Pumking though... That's the way to go.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

Can't wait for more panicked thinkpiece op-eds by centrist wonks.

Thinkpiece? More like :thunk:piece

Someone in cspam made this for me just now

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

yo you guys have gotta try this triple hopped pumpkin imperial IPA

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

boop the snoot posted:

Post of the year right there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

boop the snoot posted:

:ck5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU