Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

wait....theres text chat????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mordja posted:

They can definitely see.

just had a real chatty partner and wanted to make sure i wasnt being too paranoid.

cant wait till i can unlock the throwing knives. just had a hunter that came with those equipped and they were very nice. is it possible to buy 2 or 3 stacks of knives so i can carry more?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But they can only see your chat if they're within a certain proximity to you, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what exactly the distance is but it's generally the same space you'd have to be in to hear them if they spoke to each other over mic.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I wish this game had Siege's sound propogating. Its pretty annoying that sound (ESPECIALLY VOIP) travels through solid walls and like 50 feet of solid earth.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
my partner and I managed to sneak up on a team fighting the spider kiting at the door.
we hear over the VOIP "Hey, I dont think we're alone" about 1.5sec before my concertina detonates behind them, sealing them inside the boss lair with a scream of "RUN!"
A flash bomb through the roof and my partner rushing in later, 2 dead hunters and 1 free boss.
God, I love this game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If you are new at the game, just be upfront with your partner at the start of the game. Here's the reason:

1) If they're an rear end in a top hat they're going to be an rear end in a top hat anyways.
2) If they're a decent person they'll explain things to you.

The community is more chill than you'd think, and I'm personally happy to show people what I know.

If you're just getting into the game, I would highly recommend NOT spending all your money as soon as you get it. Tier 1/2 Hunters with low cost weapons can be extremely effective, and you're less likely to get all salted out when you get your face blown off by a Crown King or an Avto or whatever.

The Winnie is a fantastic gun and I've gone back to using the Winnie C to up my rifle game, and honestly, even just the C version allows you to do things a lot of other guns can't. For instance, very few guns in the game can lay down suppressing fire like the Winnie can. People in The Hunt tend to think that if they're being shot at, someone has LOS on them and they can be hit. If you land shots anywhere near them, they'll button up in cover, allowing you to make some plays.

The Romero Hatchet or the Talon are also amazing at the moment, especially the Talon.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Basticle posted:

I wish this game had Siege's sound propogating. Its pretty annoying that sound (ESPECIALLY VOIP) travels through solid walls and like 50 feet of solid earth.

Check out the long term roadmap under audio:

"Improved occlusion system"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Last night we spawned in Catfish Grove on the east side. With the recent patch changes, there's never NOT a water devil there blocking the direct approach to the main Catfish building, so we have to scoot a bit NW before heading south along the road (where the kennel / meathead is usually)

We hear splashes, and a zombie aggro to the south. I sneak up across over to where the "crank door" is while my partner sneaks underneath to the West side. I peek through the grating of the door and notice that I can see the edge of the clue.... so I wait for a little bit. The dudes come in and take out a zombie inside the room.

Sure enough a moment later some Tier III pokes his big stupid head right in my sights as he gets the clue, 1 good Dolch shot through the door grate is all it takes.

My partner now is running around on the West side while I am staying quiet. The guys partner is panicking because he has no idea if someone is inside the building with him or not, so he drops down through the little hole underneath and splashes around DIRECTLY under me.

I simply pull out my Shotgun, drop down, and point-blank him in the back.

Neither of them got a shot off, neither of them got a single dollar. Sorry dudes - that's life in the swamps.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IDK if its ever been posted in this thread but I watched this video last week and although it says "as a solo", it applies to duos as well. Following it's advice both my enjoyment of this game as well as my K/D ratio have gone up dramatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQwvOs3rdO8

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

just had a real chatty partner and wanted to make sure i wasnt being too paranoid.

cant wait till i can unlock the throwing knives. just had a hunter that came with those equipped and they were very nice. is it possible to buy 2 or 3 stacks of knives so i can carry more?

Throwing knives can be picked up from the corpses I’ve never needed more than 6 but yeah you can bring more stacks.

They are a must buy for me every hunter gets a knife + throwing knives and a med kit when it unlocks.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

this one is probably gonna get some pushback but... decoys are awesome. imo required gear, and at $4 that's fine.
they allow you to (mostly) silently take out dogs and chickens by smacking that lantern above them at incredible distance, you can lure clue guards or water devils away, you can confuse a paranoid defensive hunter by making noises on all sides of them, and most amusingly, you can trigger mobs near sneaking people.
a single well placed decoy can trigger those dogs or hives someone is trying to sneak past, and they never blame you for it, they just assume they got too close. then you shotgun them in the back.
decoys guys, buy em, get good with em.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Rysithusiku posted:

this one is probably gonna get some pushback but... decoys are awesome. imo required gear, and at $4 that's fine.
they allow you to (mostly) silently take out dogs and chickens by smacking that lantern above them at incredible distance, you can lure clue guards or water devils away, you can confuse a paranoid defensive hunter by making noises on all sides of them, and most amusingly, you can trigger mobs near sneaking people.
a single well placed decoy can trigger those dogs or hives someone is trying to sneak past, and they never blame you for it, they just assume they got too close. then you shotgun them in the back.
decoys guys, buy em, get good with em.

Dunno who would push back against decoys. They can only help you by taking them. The blankfires can setup some great ambushes as well.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Dunno who would push back against decoys. They can only help you by taking them. The blankfires can setup some great ambushes as well.

I've seen alot of "decoys are useless" in gen pop

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Basticle posted:

IDK if its ever been posted in this thread but I watched this video last week and although it says "as a solo", it applies to duos as well. Following it's advice both my enjoyment of this game as well as my K/D ratio have gone up dramatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQwvOs3rdO8

Most of that is pretty good advice, although I think he puts too much of a premium on weapons. New players that aren't familiar with this type of game usually end up lamenting their complete lack of cash pretty quick. In your first 20 hours or so, skill and lack of map knowledge is 100% going to hold you back more than weapons.

The other thing that's going to hold you back is not being able to put thought into your build/gear.

As a for-instance, you buy a tier 1 Hunter. He comes with a Winnie, a Caldwell Conversion, maybe a headlamp and an antidote shot- no perks.

If you have the Winnie, you already have a rapid fire mid/long/short gun. The only reason to take the revolver is if you want even more shots for the Winnie, but exchanging it for a machete gives you a 1-hit kill weapon and boosts your effectiveness in close range fights. The machete also has superior utility ( killing mobs, fighting bosses ). Carrying the machete also frees up a tool slot that would be occupied by a knife.

On the other hand, pairing a machete with a shotgun would be a stupid idea. There's already multiple low-cost shotguns with melee weapons attached, the shotgun is already a 1-hit close range kill, and you'll have no mid/long range weapon. Even the crappiest revolver in the game can drop someone with a header up to 60 yards, but your shotgun ain't hitting poo poo at that range.

If there are new people reading, and you want some streamers to watch, I'd recommend TheRabbleWrangler or Poohskyy. Poohskyy is more likely to talk to you and is pretty friendly / not salty, so feel free to just fire questions at him.

Rysithusiku posted:

I've seen alot of "decoys are useless" in gen pop

I like spooking partners that don't know decoys can open doors.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 29, 2018

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Decoys and Blank fire decoys are both amazing they have many uses from distracting monster standing ontop of clues to tricking people to move out of position. The biggest issue is remembering to use them when the heat is on.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Played another solo match last night finally, seems like my best success is letting everybody else shoot at each other and creeping the whole time, picking up clues and monster kills along the way, and only engaging other hunters when I absolutely have the advantage.

And chucking lanterns at everything. That's always fun.

Need to group up and try duos one of these days.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Had a match last night with my partner who brought a Mosin and a Romero Hatchet. He gets sniped by a Sparks at Reeker. I pick him up, we kill the dude banishing Butcher at Graves. As we go north through Lumber he gets sniped AGAIN by the same dude (who I kill now).

We then get in a protracted firefight near Spider with a group, he fires every round he has with the Mosin and hits nothing but trees. I wind up going down and he finishes them off with the Romero hatchet (the hatchet part).

As we're extracting (me to him): "That Mosin sure came in handy, huh? :smuggo:"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The only time I've ever actually killed anyone with a Mosin is when they're shooting at someone else.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

The only time I've ever actually killed anyone with a Mosin is when they're shooting at someone else.
Mosin is a great example of a good weapon with terrible value. The Karbine is less than 100 dollars and can do everything the Mosin does with a slightly shorter range and slightly less damage. (Distance magnifies this, but for most engagements it won't matter)

Probably the Machete, Winfield, and Romero Hatchet are the best bang for the buck.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I got into a churchtower fight with a vetterli, ended up taking down 2 encroaching hunters at the cost of my own life. last shot exchanged was headshot for headshot. bought my partner time to take down the boss cleanly and then come rez me tho. iron sights at 100m ain't easy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/going-solo-hunt-debuts-first-live-event

Event details are up!

Solo only, 1 bounty, most bounty extractions at the end of the week get prizes (top 50 and up)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DarkDobe posted:

Event details are up!

Solo only, 1 bounty, most bounty extractions at the end of the week get prizes (top 50 and up)

Sneakfest 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Sneakfest 2018

I think you mean shotgun hobofest. While y'all are sneaking I'll be at the boss murdering him already.
(then I will die horribly trying to extract of course)

Something tells me extraction camping will be a viable strategy.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

Event details are up!

Kinda cool but also kinda a bummer for people who play with friends.

Kinda hate events like this because I want to participate but I've also got a job and poo poo to do so I don't have a hope in hell of placing. :emo:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Kinda cool but also kinda a bummer for people who play with friends.

Kinda hate events like this because I want to participate but I've also got a job and poo poo to do so I don't have a hope in hell of placing. :emo:

:same:

I assume they're leaving regular matches up as an option?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You know, because of the limited amount of players in a match, you could really have a bunch of different game modes and you'd never have to worry about them not getting filled like something akin to Battlefield games.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Glenn Quebec posted:

You know, because of the limited amount of players in a match, you could really have a bunch of different game modes and you'd never have to worry about them not getting filled like something akin to Battlefield games.

There's only usually 2 or 3 selections to pick from aside from Random. And "Random" sometimes gives you an option which wasn't even available, which is more evidence to support this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Right? I think it would help the game stand out even more.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

Event details are up!

This is awesome. Since I kind of dislike playing random duos.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Sneakfest 2018

Also this.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Probably just modifying the solo option and leaving the others alone, I would guess? Or adding a special solo queue, maybe?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

apparently when you select solo there will be a separate selection for "solo event". normal games will remain playable as normal.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I kind of feel like the dolch shouldn't be in the game, it feels so against the spirit of everything else. Or at the very least should use compact ammo or something not medium shot!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Knifegrab posted:

I kind of feel like the dolch shouldn't be in the game, it feels so against the spirit of everything else. Or at the very least should use compact ammo or something not medium shot!

Try hip firing from crouch with the precision. It's basically as accurate than LDS and then you will retract your comment because you are cleaning up with it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
It's also 600 dollars, you need bullet grubber, and you only have 20 rounds

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I mind getting hosed by a surprise Crowning King or Fanning a lot more than I mind getting Dolched down these days. Compact ammo would be too ubiquitous for the Dolch, making resupply easy.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be super salty when I got Dolched but you fight enough of them, and you learn they aren't as good as you think.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

because of the prices on the higher end guns I dont feel at all like there are any bullshit guns to be honest. I got killed by a auto mosin? you spent $2000 so shine on you crazy diamond

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

How long before people figure out you can try timing your queue to end up together in these 'solo' games...

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

They should be cautious about this. In March it took forever to find games with the existing modes. They even removed us central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Won my solo event game yesterday. Found the spider after 2 clues at Darrow Livestock. Camped in the bushes overlooking it for a good thirty minutes, while other hunters were approaching and killing each other off. Sniped two with 100% clear shots, then just waited in the bushes. Heard a guy fighting the spider so I snuck up on him and shot him in the back. Went back camping in the bushes. Next guy actually killed and banished the spider, and booked it straight to the nearest extraction which meant he was running straight towards the bushes I was in. Killed him and got away with the bounty

game owns