Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

Has anyone played with a Lambda (preferably Lt. Sai) with Tua/Krennic/title instead of Palp? The upgrade cluster is 5 more points, but it could be good?

Like maybe thiiiiiis?
"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)
Shield Upgrade (*)

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Lieutenant Sai (47)
Director Krennic (5)
Minister Tua (7)
ST-321 (6)

Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

edit:

Yeah you should probably chill out my guy, nobody is "gatekeeping" by referring to a list with a cute/stupid/dumb nickname. If you don't like it you don't need to do it, but step off all the same

Maybe just say what the list is so that people know what you're talking about instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe just say what the list is so that people know what you're talking about instead

I literally did post the list I was playing tonight, iterations of it going forward, and mentioned every ship played in the old 1.0 POW list that I made a passing reference to. Maybe cool it with the senseless policing of harmless kitsch?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Strobe posted:

Then it's not a fail, you have successfully locked your chosen target. :v:

You'd still take a stress for attempting it, it's part of the cost for doing the object. Just because you failed it doesn't mean you don't pay the costs. :shrug:

Page 11 of the rules reference says that failing a linked action doesn't generate a stress.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

I literally did post the list I was playing tonight, iterations of it going forward, and mentioned every ship played in the old 1.0 POW list that I made a passing reference to. Maybe cool it with the senseless policing of harmless kitsch?

No, you have to post The Right Way ::mad:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Page 11 of the rules reference says that failing a linked action doesn't generate a stress.

That's incredibly dumb.

guts and bolts posted:

We do remember the last time you posted in the thread, you know.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Strobe posted:

That's incredibly dumb.

Isn't that how PTL worked in 1.0, though?

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006

Strobe posted:

Then it's not a fail, you have successfully locked your chosen target. :v:

You'd still take a stress for attempting it, it's part of the cost for doing the object. Just because you failed it doesn't mean you don't pay the costs. :shrug:

In the Rules Reference under "Fail" (page 11):
* If a red action fails, the ship does not gain a stress token. (e, fb)

As for "Lock" (page 12) it fails if no object is chosen, but I can't see anything that would let you skip Step 2: Choose another object at range 0-3.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It's dumb in the sense that it makes Composure rather abusable.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
EDIT: this post was incorrect.

I do seem to remember that if you declared you were using PTL, tried to TL and failed, you had already declared you were using PTL and would have to pick another option (if there was another one left), but that could easily just have been something I imagined.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 29, 2018

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Strobe posted:

We do remember the last time you posted in the thread, you know.

I don't even know what this means?

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, you have to post The Right Way ::mad:

I mean, it's fair - referring to lists exclusively by some acronym or shortening everything to a cute name can be overwhelming for people just getting in, I can respect that, but I haven't seen anyone actually do that in the thread.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

Not for Target Locks!
Not for anything. You never failed an action, you either did it or didn't do it, with the edge case of coordinating a ship which then couldn't perform an action (because technically your coordinate was successful). PTL you had to perform the action then get a stress, if you didn't perform the action, no stress.

Composure looks nice on Soontir, land in range 1 with enemy in bullseye, evade then fail an autothrust boost forwards (it's not technically a linked action, so would you get stress in failing?). Hello focus focus evade my old friend.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 29, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I think people are still salty about the Nova Squad secret name nonsense they did a while back when posting about local tournament meta or somesuch. It was kind of obnoxious and I can kinda understand being annoyed about it, but POW was a super common name for like the better part of a year itt, so doesn't seem like a big deal to me, just like Super Dash or Squints or whatever.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I always heard POW called the Mynock Special.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

I think people are still salty about the Nova Squad secret name nonsense they did a while back when posting about local tournament meta or somesuch. It was kind of obnoxious and I can kinda understand being annoyed about it, but POW was a super common name for like the better part of a year itt, so doesn't seem like a big deal to me, just like Super Dash or Squints or whatever.

I don't think I was around for that. It changes the context significantly, so I'm sorry if that rubbed anyone the wrong way, but I tried to touch on/mention every ship used in the 1.0 template for this list idea, and I posted the Whisper-Fel-Lambda list like eight times now. I have absolutely zero interest in keeping secret tech or list building poo poo. POW was just what it was called, like - you mentioned it - Super Dash or Brobots.

edit:

hoiyes posted:

I always heard POW called the Mynock Special.

That owns and is way cooler than POW as far as nonsense nicknames go

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

Composure looks nice on Soontir, land in range 1 with enemy in bullseye, evade then fail an autothrust boost forwards (it's not technically a linked action, so would you get stress in failing?). Hello focus focus evade my old friend.

Composure only works if you don’t have any green tokens. So this doesn’t work.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

So when FCS says a target "you" have locked, does it mean like, me the player, my whole squad? Or "you" the pilot? Because if so I don't think FCS does anything at all on Whisper?

Like when shuffling around upgrades I was thinking - okay, Krennic might be neat on Lt. Sai, and maybe Admiral Sloane or Cienna Ree or Minister Tua; plus title and here we go. But the title gives the shuttle a target lock, right? So Whisper can't use FCS? Or... I mean I'm kinda tired but I feel like I'm missing something

Anyway that's why I've omitted FCS from Whisper in all the lists I've posted

edit: oh ConfusedUs had Krennic on Whisper I get it. I dunno man you gotta drop the Vader/Juke combo to get TL! Maybe worth I have no clue

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 29, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

If it's like 1.0, "you" refers to the ship/pilot the card text is attached to, i.e. in FCS "you" refers to that ship.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My favorite list name was FenZukman because it told you all you needed to know

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FenZuckman was the most fun I had with a competitive list in 1.0.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

If it's like 1.0, "you" refers to the ship/pilot the card test is attached to, i.e. in FCS "you" refers to that ship.

Yeah I'm just a huge moron and didn't read his list correctly, so I felt like I was losing my mind. "It can't... it doesn't work that way!!" I screamed into my body pillow of Poe Dameron, not realizing I just can't read

I really want to try dumb crap like Lt. Sai with Krennic, title, and Tarkin, then Juke/Vader Whisper and Juke Fel. It's 197 and I'm scared for Whisper though

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guys I want both X-wings and Y-wings to be good. I think Marksmanship is a pretty good take on an X-wing, since it's (cheap) actionless damage improvement that rewards good maneuvering. I'm also a big fan of Veteran Turret Gunners, because getting more shots is never a bad thing, and it also rewards good maneuvering with improved offense. How does this list look?

Red Squadron Veteran (43)
Marksmanship (1)
R5 Astromech (5) <- included for damage mitigation, combined with the increased hull and generally reduced offensive power of a given ship in 2.0 should make for some durable X-wings
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (43)
Marksmanship (1)
R5 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Gold Squadron Veteran (34)
Expert Handling (2)
Dorsal Turret (4) <- cheapest turret option yet, range bonuses make it useful
Veteran Turret Gunner (8)
R3 Astromech (3) <- relatively cheap Astromech, and having multiple locks for multiple shots in a turn is an obvious synergy

Gold Squadron Veteran (34)
Expert Handling (2)
Dorsal Turret (4)
Veteran Turret Gunner (8)
R3 Astromech (3)

Total: 200

I'm thinking I3 will be helpful against swarms, as will having multiple attacks with good maneuvering to potentially take out or at least damage more targets. White action barrel rolls on both ships, and boosts on the X-wings make them much more maneuverable than their 1.0 selves, too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lando Calrissian (92)
Squad Leader (4)
Tactical Officer (2)
Nien Nunb (5)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (23)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (23)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Airen Cracken (36)
Homing Missiles (3)

Total: 200

Strobe helped me hash this out. Airen presents a choice to the opponent: take a 4 dice fully modded Homing Missile shot, or take the one guaranteed damage from it and probably have a Concussion Missile flip it over. With Lando/Tactical Officer/Airen, all 3 Zs should get fully modded shots on the joust. Airen can also, in future turns, use his ability to let Lando rotate his arc if needed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I really like how Zs have barrel roll now. That setup also lets you TL a slippery ace, then use Lando and Airen to reposition for the actual shot well after most of them have moved.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Holy poo poo I'm a moron, this is obviously the best Whisper/Fel/Shuttle list. (Hyperbole has always been my strong suit. This is probably not the best version of this list.)

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Lieutenant Sai (47)
Director Krennic (5)
Admiral Sloane (10)
ST-321 (6)

Total: 194

You don't want to split up your fire in X-Wing unless you absolutely have to - the goal is to have the maximum number of people shooting the same guy. "Duh," you say, and I nod, sipping my rumchata and squinting. "And you took off Shield Upgrade from Whisper. That's scary." I nod again. But what if... and now I look like the "actually it was aliens" meme guy... you just straight up killed people for free???

Basically this list chews up green tokens and ruins enemy action economy, and has a 6 point bid. You get to eat damage from Vader or risk having your nat-rolled Evades mean nothing against the aces. The Optimized Prototype also gets relatively free damage. You get to eat double stress for daring to kill one of them. Cool.

Or you could run Grand Moff Tarkin instead of Sloane. Every other turn, Whisper and Fel get free locks on whatever they are focus firing. You could optionally include FCS on Whisper now if you wanted, too, I guess. I don't know.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Holy poo poo I'm a moron, this is obviously the best Whisper/Fel/Shuttle list. (Hyperbole has always been my strong suit. This is probably not the best version of this list.)

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Lieutenant Sai (47)
Director Krennic (5)
Admiral Sloane (10)
ST-321 (6)

Total: 194

This is one of those list that'll crush everything any day... except in the 25% of games you roll bad and have nothing to smooth out variance and a bandit with a missile smokes an ace from range 3.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's another Q1 kit tournament on this weekend in the local. Solid chance maybe three people total will show up. I kind of want to turn up with the worst list possible knowing that I'll end up coming away with some shield tokens anyway, but I'm thinking about a Hera Ghost/Corran E-Wing list just to get some use out of them before the game dies. Has the best Corran build changed at all or is it still just R2D2, PTL, FCS and Engine Upgrade?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

hoiyes posted:

Anything that smooths out variance is going to be really good. Fearless, Heroic, Fire Control etc. I've heard some murmurs about mods that are waaaay above the curve of things we've seen so far, to the point where I doubt the veracity. Advanced Sensors is a little expensive but may still find a place on brobots, they love a traffic jam. Nothing stands out (yet) but also nothing seems unmitigated trash tier.

FCS looks like it should be amazing but it mostly appears on ships that don't have Lock, and even if it didn't, it costs your one action to GET the lock to make it work, which makes it a lot tougher to use than 1e FCS. Gonna be good on Vader though, and at its best on E Wings with R3.

Afterburners definitely seem worth it, Collision Detector definitely seems worth it, Debris Gambit on the right ships, Composure for sure, but by and large in my list building thus far, I've been leaving most of the slots empty.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

hoiyes posted:

This is one of those list that'll crush everything any day... except in the 25% of games you roll bad and have nothing to smooth out variance and a bandit with a missile smokes an ace from range 3.

Yeah, it's either "dodge every arc always" or "hope to kill whatever is about to shoot back before it shoots" or "lose."

That said your offense is much less unstable owing to Optimized Prototype and Vader crew, and each of your aces should be taking two tokens a turn (at least), and Lt. Sai is here to actually fight and not just clog lanes and Reinforce like an OGP Palpshuttle wants to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

FenZuckman was the most fun I had with a competitive list in 1.0.

Me too. And it would have been top tier if not for the Asajj + Latts combo. That was just too good against other mindlink squads. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

edit: oh ConfusedUs had Krennic on Whisper I get it. I dunno man you gotta drop the Vader/Juke combo to get TL! Maybe worth I have no clue

Krennic + FCS is just cheaper on Whisper than Vader. That's all.

You can still use Juke for both though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really like what has been posted, but I am leaning towards 4 ships especially with Whisper on the board. What do you guys think about this?

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Lieutenant Sai (47)
Emperor Palpatine (13)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)

Total: 198

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

Krennic + FCS is just cheaper on Whisper than Vader. That's all.

You can still use Juke for both though.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I forgot how to read temporarily last night; I had to change a tire really late and it shows, but editing now is the coward's way out. Your list makes sense, I just think after shuffling around all the bits and pieces I arrived at a different destination. It seems a pretty sure thing that Vader crew with two or more Jukes in the list is nasty; everything else is subject to tweaking, I'd hazard.

Raged posted:

What do you guys think about this?

I'd have to play way more games to be able to give truly meaningful feedback, but I don't see why this wouldn't work. I think what Whisper is naturally worried about (I6 pilots or losing the bid) is exacerbated here, but you have more bodies to clog up the board? You could probably drop from Lt. Sai to OGP in this list, as well, I'd think, and get back some of those points, even if it's a little painful. It's worth trying out, for sure.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
0-0-0: Requries: Darth Vader or Scum
Availability: Scum and Villany Conversion Kit

So much for 'you'll never need to buy something from another faction just to get a single card.'

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Same thing with Maul: only available in the Scum kit.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
That still better then having to buy another faction ship just to get a mod or EPT. Things aren't going to be 100% smooth, but this is still better then having 2 copies of cards that are unique.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Buying a single other faction ship to get whichever of the two cards you want is likely to cost you less than buying the full conversion kit for Scum though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Don't know if it's just Australia, but I have never seen anyone have to worry about cards. Anytime someone is missing one there are about 20 people offering to loan out their cards at tournaments.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged posted:

Don't know if it's just Australia, but I have never seen anyone have to worry about cards. Anytime someone is missing one there are about 20 people offering to loan out their cards at tournaments.

Yep, and I expect there will be a good secondary market for components of the conversion kits from people who buy duplicates

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Yep, and I expect there will be a good secondary market for components of the conversion kits from people who buy duplicates

I've put serious thought into picking up extra conversion kits JUST to put the pieces on ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If you end up buying all 3 kits, there will be plenty of upgrade cards you will have 7-9 of, it's sort of crazy.