Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

No idea. I'm hoping for a brief scene in a local library where he looks up an obituary after all the scenes with Gus Fring's job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I really thought there was going to be a spin that the guy's dead wife was actually his dead boyfriend so perhaps it was only partially a lie. This is admittedly influenced by another well known character played by Marc Evan Jackson. Then in an additional major twist we learn that it his dead boyfriend was none other than Captain Raymond Holt and Brooklyn nine-nine shares a universe with BCS/BB, albeit with confusing timelines

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 28, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The slow meandering pace was worth it just to help the new ad pop.

'Privacy Sold Here!'

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So do you think that guy is actually lying? Pity parties can be a "thing" but a therapist is there. Someone wanting to visit multiple places isn't exactly uncommon. Cuba and Australia? Sure! I'd love to go.

Mike goes on to call Gus' bluff at gunpoint later in the episode. The guy might be grieving something for real, but I don't doubt that he was lying.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The way that dude piggybacked off of Stacy’s comments gave me the impression he was only going to those things to demonstrate value and Mike decided to stop him before he could engage physically.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Very interesting episode. The stories were all very subtle, but powerful.
Saul went from 'gainful employment' at the start of the episode to 'fulltime trying to attract shady characters' at the end.
Kim wanting to be anywhere other than successful.
Nacho, ever more desperate to get out, in way over his head. I wonder when Tuco is going to be back? There really isn't much left to the Salamancas at this point, with the cousins going back to Mehico.
Mike and Gus working on their power dynamic was interesting, but I would agree not as significant as the other characters and a really odd choice to end the show, it felt like the middle of a conversation, not a cliffhanger.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agree but it fits with their Breaking Bad portrayal. They’re like loving Terminators in that.
Except when they were trying to murk Hank, whereupon he crushed one of them with his car and managed to load and fire his gun at the other one while he was bringing an axe down on him (if memory serves)

The twins were sociopathic and ominously silent in BB, but they weren't Terminators.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Durzel posted:

Except when they were trying to murk Hank, whereupon he crushed one of them with his car and managed to load his gun while the other one was bringing an axe down on him.

The twins were sociopathic and ominously silent in BB, but they weren't Terminators.

they were right up until like 20 minutes before they tried to kill hank.

we're way before 20 minutes before they tried to kill hank.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Durzel posted:

Except when they were trying to murk Hank, whereupon he crushed one of them with his car and managed to load and fire his gun at the other one while he was bringing an axe down on him (if memory serves)

They acted like Terminators even in that scene and the one in the hospital later. They were tied with the plane crash subplot as maybe the silliest aspect of Breaking Bad imo.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
The twins are goofy as hell and I was never really scared by them, even from the start when they hitched a ride in a truck full of illegals. They're crazy good at killing people but they're just so silly with the borderline mute staring contests they have with every single person they see.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That judge is gonna give Kim public defender work and somehow that's gonna lead to my prediction, that she becomes a prosecutor (or consulting counsel) and by next season or the one after that we're gonna have Kim vs. Jimmy as he defends Nacho or Badger or whatever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agent Escalus posted:

2) When Jimmy started bouncing the ball it occurred to me that maybe the store is a front? Most businesses wouldn't keep a constantly-slow store open, staffed, and stocked. Let alone a chain place; they'd shut it down and re-direct the foot traffic. So maybe as time goes on Jimmy starts poking around and noticing non-existent revenues for his location are showing up on the books? And things get rolling from there, he casually offers "legal" advice on money laundering, oh hey my law licence is back next year, need some legal work done from a crook you can trust because you already hired him?

Have you not seen small pre-paid wireless stores like that? I've literally never seen a single customer inside of a Cricket store, the show was spot-on there. The only inaccuracy is that it was stocked more like a T-Mobile/Verizon store, which do get traffic because they're major providers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I use Cricket and I've never been in a Cricket store.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really like the super chummy cat burglar. When Jimmy was looking at his cut I thought he was going to get shorted but nope.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pigbuster posted:

Have you not seen small pre-paid wireless stores like that? I've literally never seen a single customer inside of a Cricket store, the show was spot-on there. The only inaccuracy is that it was stocked more like a T-Mobile/Verizon store, which do get traffic because they're major providers.

I think the show is going where the truth is: in towns with lots of drug addicts and dealers, those stores started making bank right around when this show takes place. We're going to see that store go from dead to booming with Jimmy wheeling and dealing left and right, and I'm guessing he meets some familiar criminals in the process.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey, it's the guy from The Good Place as the fake griever.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Saul got a job supervising a ghost town. Saul is a film geek. Did anyone else think he was thinking about The Shining while he was throwing that ball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fit0ERjRY

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
No because he'd be busy thinking of The Great Escape

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I assumed Great Escape - Jimmy would definitely think of himself as The Cooler King.

He's got a pretty great setup at that store: nobody is ever around, his supervisors leave him completely alone, he's basically free to come and go as he pleases. The only real potential downside is that if he starts going great business, his bosses might start taking an interest in the store instead of just forgetting about it until inventory time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine in the labour hell that is the USA Jimmy is upset the store is dead because he's probably mostly commission based and will make sub minimum wage otherwise?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jimmy’s annoyed by the job because he’s bored, I sincerely doubt it’s anything more than that. He has consistently shown than he always has to be doing something.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

i felt like the ball bouncing might be a reference to the shining. and kim clearly wants to go back to defending people who need help and not rich blowhards in ten gallon hats. thats all i can really say about that episode

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think it's less than minimum wage? Though maybe it was in 2002 or whatever, but it's definitely not much more than minimum wage, with the bulk of the potential compensation coming from commission sharing, yeah.

Which is probably part of it, sure, but I think the main reason is sheer boredom.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Money’s not an issue. He didn’t really need to get a job; his second paycheck is just to make things that much easier.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah he only took the job the moment Kim started bringing up therapy. He's just doing it to make kim not worried.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm pretty sure engaging in gainful employment is part of the terms of his suspension from the bar he has to meet to become a lawyer again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm surprised they haven't got on him about that. I assume they would have put in stipulation that he has to take any job he's offered.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Jimmy is going to start seeing Dave.
Dave's good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dave's not here, man.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Having worked as a "manager" of a dead rear end Metro store in a run down strip mall, that part was pretty relatable. I didn't really manage anything and only worked with someone else for 30 minutes during shift overlap. Lots of cleaning to pass the time (and because the owner would watch the cameras remotely and call if he thought I had spent too long without doing ~something~). Then during the rare rushes the line would be nearly going out the door, but that was just because I was by myself and had to teach old people how to use their phones while other people waited impatiently. Attracting shady customers would at least make things less dull.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Riptor posted:

No because he'd be busy thinking of The Great Escape

:v: Touche. What other film scenes does Jimmy see himself as living out I wonder?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I bet he was having echoes of A Few Good Men when he was grilling Chuck on the stand at his bar review hearing.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

This weeks podcast had more behind the scenes production gossip than usual. Mainly going over sound design and shooting the opening with lil Matty.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Okay, so we're four and a half seasons into this show and I still have no idea what it's supposed to be. It's a split between mundane real-life events with the Lawyer characters, drug-wars scenes we can't possibly care about as we know the fates and endpoints of nearly everyone involved lightly peppered with scenes of Mike talking slowly about how he doesn't want to do something.

Like, what is this show's identity? It feels like it wants to be it's own thing with Jimmy, but then we get these long excursions where it feels like Breaking Bad 2, featuring all the characters whose stories have already been resolved and who have already gotten all the development they need to be interesting. Why bring Mike and Gus back when the entire series they've each maybe had one interesting thing to do each? Who was crying out for the return of the Twins, two mute characters who just stand around a look menacing? How are we going to get even a remotely satisfying ending to any of these stories when they're almost all wrapped up in Breaking Bad?

I like the scenes involving Saul becoming Jimmy because those scenes actually feel like a show with a personality. So much else in the show I just find a dull and frustrating waste of time. If someone asked me "What's Better Call Saul like?" I wouldn't know what to tell them and this is the fourth season.

That judge was pretty cool though

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised they haven't got on him about that. I assume they would have put in stipulation that he has to take any job he's offered.

Uhhhh... That's not legal.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Calico Heart posted:

If someone asked me "What's Better Call Saul like?" I wouldn't know what to tell them and this is the fourth season.

"It's a prequel to Breaking Bad."

There, done.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It’s a show about albuquerques underworld that happens to feature a shady lawyer as one of its ensemble.

Pulp Fiction isn’t really “about” anyone in particular either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a prequel to Breaking Bad with lower stakes and no Walt. It fleshes out Saul and Mike without detracting from their BB appearances.

How do you normally describe shows to people?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a prequel to Breaking Bad with lower stakes and no Walt. It fleshes out Saul and Mike without detracting from their BB appearances.

How do you normally describe shows to people?

I usually just say if I like it and if I think you would like it and that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Nacho's dad called 911 and just hung up. The police will come by your house to check on you if that happens. I predict this will somehow lead to Hank investigating his business as a drug front.