Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Would I (as another hasn't-kept-up-with-SP-lately) be wrong in assuming PC Principal is a tiresome pink-haired horn-rimmed fussbudget who talks about snowflakes and safe spaces with all the subtlety of the principal in Cobra Kai?

He's a frat guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Data Graham posted:

Would I (as another hasn't-kept-up-with-SP-lately) be wrong in assuming PC Principal is a tiresome pink-haired horn-rimmed fussbudget who talks about snowflakes and safe spaces with all the subtlety of the principal in Cobra Kai?

You actually would be, he’s portrayed as a stereotypical frat bro who’s in your face and aggressive about social issues. At first I thought he was meant to lampoon mid-20s white guys that pay lip service to stuff like that without actually caring, but they never actually portray him as anything less than genuine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

houstonguy posted:

You actually would be, he’s portrayed as a stereotypical frat bro who’s in your face and aggressive about social issues. At first I thought he was meant to lampoon mid-20s white guys that pay lip service to stuff like that without actually caring, but they never actually portray him as anything less than genuine.

It's an interesting thing. They also end one of the seasons with a big speech that's like "Yeah, South Park does need to change in that direction".

But the last few seasons still haven't been very good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

PC Principal owns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PancakeTransmission posted:

I was barely out of my teens when this (S14E18) first aired. To see the show I grew up with, just shoot itself in the head... Dark times man.

im sorry you had to see that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's an interesting thing. They also end one of the seasons with a big speech that's like "Yeah, South Park does need to change in that direction".

But the last few seasons still haven't been very good.

Didn't help when they put all their story eggs in the Hilary wins basket.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Babe Magnet posted:

PC Principal owns

I'm the handwringing about him, an adult, bullying a child (the child being cartman lmfao)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wait then what happened to principal Victoria with the very specific accent

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I found an animation mistake in The Simpsons

the head of the beer is the same color as the beer

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The evidence is incontrovertible. That is indeed the lowest point of The Simpsons.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Why are people discussing SP?

Homer vs NYC was lovely.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SirPablo posted:

Homer vs NYC was lovely.

they'd put this guy in tower 1

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

snack eater posted:

they'd put this guy in tower 1

oh, and he definitely drinks Mountain Dew

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I literally work in the WTC, and every morning when I pass the halal carts there I have to suppress a smirk

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In 100% of cases where someone asks me to pick one of two equally bad options, I always say “ugh... God... crab juice please.”

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SirPablo posted:

Homer vs NYC was lovely.
The Mountain Dew / Crab Juice joke was a great burn, come on.
Also the "almost there" gag with the stick when he wants pizza and the whole "bathroom out of order" joke.

Actually, now that I think about it, the most memorable jokes (at least, to me) from that episode are all in the span of like a minute. The family touring NYC and the other stuff with Homer aren't as amazing as those 3 gags in the middle of the show.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 29, 2018

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

SirPablo posted:

Homer vs NYC was lovely.

Because PC Principal, even just as a concept, is still way more interesting than any character The Simpsons has introduced in the past 25 years. I know South Park discussion isn’t really the point of this thread but it drive home just how stale The Simpsons is. South Park is a pretty bad show nowadays and it was never anywhere close to how great The Simpsons was at its peak, but it’s at least somewhat culturally relevant and like a tenth as stale as The Simpsons is.

But to go back to The Simpsons, when was the last time the show was able to introduce a new, interesting, reoccurring character? I think part of the reason the show is so awful now is due to the fact that they’ve squeezed every drop of blood possible out of the stones that are parodies of fast food mascots and characters from 50 year old movies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
South Park is also a show where a “bad” episode still has enough room to be funnier than 90% of available content, and while there are totally unwatchable episodes, those all come down to personal preference.

I always skip Oprah’s Minge, The Snuke, and Queef Sisters because I, at 30, just have to own that I don’t think vaginas are funny. I think they can be cute, and pretty, and fun, and beautiful, but I’ve never laughed at one... wait that’s a lie once I was about to gently caress my friend and right before she took her underwear off she said “hey one of my labia hangs lower than the other and I call her the Underachiever.” and we giggle about for a few minutes then bone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

South Park is also a show where a “bad” episode still has enough room to be funnier than 90% of available content, and while there are totally unwatchable episodes, those all come down to personal preference.

I always skip Oprah’s Minge, The Snuke, and Queef Sisters because I, at 30, just have to own that I don’t think vaginas are funny. I think they can be cute, and pretty, and fun, and beautiful, but I’ve never laughed at one... wait that’s a lie once I was about to gently caress my friend and right before she took her underwear off she said “hey one of my labia hangs lower than the other and I call her the Underachiever.” and we giggle about for a few minutes then bone.

The Oprah one was just super weak because it was basically a clip show. Let's put a freeze-frame of her crotch on screen for 15 minutes while we do our bad attempt at a British accent because Guy Ritchie is inherently funny or something

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tree Goat posted:

there's lots of scenarios where they cancel the simpsons, it's very easy to envision:

1) one of the few tribes scrounging for food in the last few arable pieces of land in the american wastelands is insufficiently vigilant in purifying their water, and the elders succumb to cholera. they did not specify a lore-keeper before this calamity and so the long oral tradition of the tribal simpsons-speaker, an unbroken chain of voice actors dating back to before the cataclysm, is forever severed.

2) a flaw in the central machine of the self-aware disney entertainment system causes an unstable feedback loop in the neural circuitry that imprisons the cast and crew in their statis pods. while its system of thought is entirely alien to ours, this malfunction creates a pattern of behavior that is somewhat analogous to the human notion of mercy. in the brief seconds before the error-correction and redundancy systems restore the status quo, the DES permits the cast the ultimate freedom: the freedom to die.

3) the last gasp of a super-massive dying star releases a gamma ray burst that bathes our planet in purifying radiation and we, the simpsons included, are snuffed out like a match on a windy day.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

houstonguy posted:

But to go back to The Simpsons, when was the last time the show was able to introduce a new, interesting, reoccurring character?

Gil? Like ... 18 years ago

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there newer reoccurring characters?

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there newer reoccurring characters?

Cookie Kwan #1 on the west side

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

snack eater posted:

Isn’t she just as old as Gil? Didn’t they debut in the same episode?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

snack eater posted:

Introduced, I think, in the same episode as Gil almost 20 years ago. Also, she barely recurs.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
n-n-no

Gil and Cookie Kwan are new characters

I'm not old I'm not old

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

The Mountain Dew / Crab Juice joke was a great burn, come on.
Also the "almost there" gag with the stick when he wants pizza and the whole "bathroom out of order" joke.

Actually, now that I think about it, the most memorable jokes (at least, to me) from that episode are all in the span of like a minute. The family touring NYC and the other stuff with Homer aren't as amazing as those 3 gags in the middle of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YymW49FMYrA

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol chuds

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lisa holding up that flyer creeps me out every time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
City of New York vs. Homer Simpson was the first episode that stood out to me back then as being more mean spirited, but its actually still a really good episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pimps and Chuds

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Pimps and Chuds

Formerly Chuck's

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

City of New York vs. Homer Simpson was the first episode that stood out to me back then as being more mean spirited, but its actually still a really good episode.

I was reading Mike Reiss' book not too long ago and when he came back to the show around this time he said the first thing that stuck out to him was how different the writing process was compared to the early 90s. When he started the writing room was basically like a college dorm where everyone got along and when he came back it felt like a cliquey high school with gossip and "enemies" that leaked into the show. The one joke he cited as really bothering him was when Kirk Van Houten's arm gets cut off by piano wire from that season ("I told that idiot to cut my sandwich...ouch").

So, yeah, it wasn't just you that thought the show was getting more mean-spirited with its jokes. It's why I had to stop watching because feeling dirty after watching The Simpsons is not a good feeling.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

I was reading Mike Reiss' book not too long ago and when he came back to the show around this time he said the first thing that stuck out to him was how different the writing process was compared to the early 90s. When he started the writing room was basically like a college dorm where everyone got along and when he came back it felt like a cliquey high school with gossip and "enemies" that leaked into the show. The one joke he cited as really bothering him was when Kirk Van Houten's arm gets cut off by piano wire from that season ("I told that idiot to cut my sandwich...ouch").

So, yeah, it wasn't just you that thought the show was getting more mean-spirited with its jokes. It's why I had to stop watching because feeling dirty after watching The Simpsons is not a good feeling.

That joke always stuck out so hard to me. Like it really comes off something modern Family Guy would do but with blood and guts and Peter screaming for a full minute.

It could have been worse earlier, but I remember when I stopped finding the Simpsons funny was the episode where Homer and Ned go to Vegas. The punch-up was really obvious even to a kid (Modern Simpsons feels like at least 80% punch-up with plots designed around a few gags they want to do), and it was around the time network TV started really getting back into thinking of contrived plots of characters dying or doing scandalous things so you'd see the same goddamned commercial over and over for a whole week teasing the episode. It was basically '90s clickbait, with constant commercials showing "THIS CHARACTER DIES?!" or "HOMER MARRIES SOMEONE ELSE?!"

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 29, 2018

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

On an early seasons rewatch, I decided to wade into Season 10 a bit and stopped right at the episode where Homer finds out his middle name and becomes a hippie. That was the worst Homer had ever acted on the show so far, just complete rear end in a top hat to everyone.

I also think an earlier ep where Homer gets drunk and stares at Maude's cleavage, then tries to get out of marriage counseling and barely apologizes to Marge is pretty bad, as well.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

On an early seasons rewatch, I decided to wade into Season 10 a bit and stopped right at the episode where Homer finds out his middle name and becomes a hippie. That was the worst Homer had ever acted on the show so far, just complete rear end in a top hat to everyone.

I also think an earlier ep where Homer gets drunk and stares at Maude's cleavage, then tries to get out of marriage counseling and barely apologizes to Marge is pretty bad, as well.

Yeah the first seasons had some stinkers. The one where Marge freaks out and almost divorces Homer over dancing with a belly dancer fully clothed and the town treating it like the sexiest thing ever comes to mind.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have to chuckle when flipping through the seasons on FXXXXX when seeing where I stop recognizing any episode in the list. Season 13/14 is when I start losing it and can only really pick out one or two from the list, but season 15 is definitely where I can look at the list of thumbnails and not recognize any of it. That was 15 years ago :gonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Plan Z posted:

The one where Marge freaks out and almost divorces Homer over dancing with a belly dancer fully clothed and the town treating it like the sexiest thing ever comes to mind.
That was a weird little episode that telegraphs what happens when technology allows our private lives to become easily accessible.

Not what they had in mind, but it's really not that uncommon now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plan Z posted:

Yeah the first seasons had some stinkers. The one where Marge freaks out and almost divorces Homer over dancing with a belly dancer fully clothed and the town treating it like the sexiest thing ever comes to mind.

If the Simpsons had ended after 10 seasons, that would be a contender for lowest point of the Simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I think there I general consensus that Stupid Homer becoming Jerk Homer was a tipping point. So when did Jerk Homer first appear?

Also, I'm rewatching Homer v NYC. I think what bothers me is the dimension of sober Barney in the beginning. Feels forced.