Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I mean, I like the guy too, even when he can be long winded. I guess I am just more used to people dunking on him.

Anyway, the guy calls it the best Dragon Quest since 5, which is to me, no small amount of praise.

I feel like I need to confess something here: As much as I loved 5, I never did complete it. I stopped around the second time skip. It was way too depressing for me :(

Yeah, that game really never stops with the gut punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Anyway, the guy calls it the best Dragon Quest since 5, which is to me, no small amount of praise.

5 wasn't even the best DQ since 4. :colbert:

But, I'm not here to argue, but if 5 is what it's being compared against, it doesn't sound like the new one will be for me. A shame, since 9 was fantastic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQV and VIII are my favorites, and I love the vibe DQXI gives off. I can't wait

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't care for most DQs, I hate DQ7, I think DQ8 is okay, and I think DQ5 is freaking great.

DQ11 is completely up in the air, but I'm looking forward to it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
11 better live up to the hype since 5 and 8 exist.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

welp just watched that tim rodgers review; hype level at max

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Years ago, I was a fool who didn't like Tim Rogers.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm a bit worried that all the reviews appear to be the PS4 version. Hopefully the PC version is fine, but I'm probably going to wait a bit before purchasing it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ojetor posted:

I'm a bit worried that all the reviews appear to be the PS4 version. Hopefully the PC version is fine, but I'm probably going to wait a bit before purchasing it.

As a stubborn opponent to pre-ordering games, I have pre-ordered DQXI for PC in a vain attempt to cement the release of future (or past) installments of the series with terribly sketchy and potentially broken ports to the beleaguered platform.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kiggles posted:

As a stubborn opponent to pre-ordering games, I have pre-ordered DQXI for PC in a vain attempt to cement the release of future (or past) installments of the series with terribly sketchy and potentially broken ports to the beleaguered platform.

they'd just port the mobile versions

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they'd just port the mobile versions

I would be fine with this since the mobile versions are good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

psychoJ posted:

not 8

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

yeah okay. i could see them bringing over an uprezzed port of the 3ds version tho

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Here is a little something:

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/1034450197999497218

I think they did this somewhat with 8 as well, where the postgame hides the entire deal with the MC.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm a guy who likes my RPGs harder than the usual, so I enjoy games like Etrian Odyssey and SMT3. Are there any reports on how much the Draconian Quest "harder enemies" mode changes stuff up?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Here is a little something:

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/1034450197999497218

I think they did this somewhat with 8 as well, where the postgame hides the entire deal with the MC.

Yep. They did that in Ni No Kuni also. NNK even had a post-post-game that explained the origin of the second world, kinda.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Marogareh posted:

11 better live up to the hype since 5 and 8 exist.

8's the most overhyped in the series though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Evil Fluffy posted:

8's the most overhyped in the series though.

:chloe:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Any word on a preload yet for the pc version? My internet is real bad :ohdear:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I would've made it through 8 without playing it at 4x speed. It's just so slow.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My main gripe with 8 is that the tension mechanic was particularly repetitive even by jRPG combat standards.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Preordered through GMG because of the sale. So hopefully the port is OK.

Man, Tuesday is so far away.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

8 is good, but the changes to the 3DS version were extremely needed. Random encounters are aggravating as gently caress in a big open 3D world like that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think I would've made it through 8 without playing it at 4x speed. It's just so slow.

I wonder if XI manages to be speedier, or if slowness is the price of 3D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They added a dash to the US release and you can avoid basically 100% of battles if you want now. The enemies are on the maps and there's enough room to just walk past them.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
A family member bought me DQXI on PC for my birthday back on the second. Been sitting here with bated breath since.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah I'm not one of those her dur games journalism types, but the negative reviews that I've seen are really clickbatey and reactionary. I suppose it's just critics grasping at straws because writing a review that amounts to more of the same doesn't drive traffic.

I'm thrilled. I've never finished a single DQ despite my efforts but I'm gonna finish this one.

Nah its definitely just people who want Dragon Quest to be something different than what it is. A lot of the complaints I see are that "its a lot of game!!" (Polygon) or "It doesn't do enough to modernize the game!!" (Waypoint) and its like uh yeah thats the entire point of Dragon Quest.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/waypoint/status/1034425633835761664

Not all reviews are super positive. The ones that aren't are saying that it brings nothing new to the series or genre which I don't mind. DQ has always been a warm bath of familiarity.

How can you possibly be upset about Dragon Quest not bringing anything new to the table if you're even remotely familiar with any other game in the series (except DQX, I don't really count MMOs anyway)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even grumpy Jeff Gerstmann, who hates everything and especially pretty much every JRPG, thinks XI is pretty loving great.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2018

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

raditts posted:

How can you possibly be upset about Dragon Quest not bringing anything new to the table if you're even remotely familiar with any other game in the series (except DQX, I don't really count MMOs anyway)

Right. This is my point. I didn't mean to derail too far out there but if you're ostensibly a professional critic and these are the kinds of reviews you're going to write then you're at best naively removing the game from historic context and at worst willfully ignorant. It's not that big a deal really. I'm just baffled because I feel like it's just a given that DQ's gonna DQ. Like I said, not really that big a deal. Just interesting.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Reviews from people who aren't already all in on Dragon Quest are useful. If you're someone who grew out of or never liked hyper traditional JRPGs then a review from a Dragon Quest superfan isn't going to do anything for you. The stance of "this series hasn't advanced outside of minor QOL and presentation improvements in 30 years and I want something more modern" is valid. It's just kind of disingenuous and/or ignorant to go in expecting some kind of massive upheaval of a series that's purposefully stayed as true to its roots as DQ. It's not like Monster Hunter where they kept tacking on more monsters and weapons and items to a decade old framework as a cost saver. Final Fantasy goes through these radical sweeping changes every couple of games and it's pretty hit or miss depending who you ask about which one but DQ is DQ and when the only other major game in the last year or so to carry on that classic JRPG torch has been Octopath I think it's fine for Dragon Quest to just be Dragon Quest, and it's fine for people to not be into that, just don't act surprised about it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean, the superfan would be more likely to sell you about the merits of what Dragon Quest is and why it’s pretty rad. Like the waypoint review reads like someone who probably doesn’t mess around with party chat or engage with the cute stuff, and just brushes it off as generic anime stuff. Like I can see how an outside perspective can be interesting, but when it’s a series that relies on tradition, it helps to point out the neat stuff that’s not obvious to the newcomer.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah Waypoints review is like bitching about Madden not changing the rules for football to make it more modern. Dragon Quest is comfort food.

I've pretty much been ignoring all coverage if this game until now and I'm very happy the tension mechanic is not coming back.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Comparing dragon quest to call of duty is also just immediately baffling

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

With just a few exceptions what you're reading when you read a game review is someone's report of binging through a game as fast as possible while expecting constant positive dopamine hits. That's fine for a lot of games but playing a Dragon Quest game like that would ruin it lol.

Also I don't think most reviewers understand how luck works in a jrpg and probably think how much DQ relies on hidden percentages is bad.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, reviewers, for better or worse, are on a deadline and the way they are playing a game likely does not match how you would play a game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wendell posted:

I wonder if XI manages to be speedier, or if slowness is the price of 3D

I'll just hook it up with Cheat Engine and use the speedhack to speed up battles if I feel the need to.

Thx, pc gaming

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

psychoJ posted:

1 and 2 have some nasty gfx scaling issues. 3 removed all the monster animations.

4-6 are ports of the DS remakes. I've only played 4 so far but it's pretty good! Weird mobile controls aside. The quicksave system is bizarre as well - you can't use it in towns, but you can in some dungeons, with seemingly arbitrary application. It's also save-and-continue (instead of save-and-quit) so you can cheese stuff pretty hard. Something like that isn't necessary in DQ because there's no game over back to title screen.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The 4 port has the party chat function that the DS English version inexplicably removed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

The 4 port has the party chat function that the DS English version inexplicably removed, right?

it wasn't inexplicable, the party chat dialog is a huuuuge amount of text to translate and they weren't sure if dq ports would sell well in america yet so it was hard to justify money-wise

the mobile port does have it though yeah, making it the best version to play