Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my game keeps minimizing itself randomly, and as far as i can tell nothing is actually stealing focus. also it's only when the game is going, i can leave it on the title screen forever with no problem

i found a reddit post where a couple people are saying the same thing hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think the game peaked around 1.19 or so. There have been a lot of nice quality of life changes since then, but frankly most of the design choices have been questionable at best. Each cool QoL feature is accompanied by a design choice that makes the game that much less fun to play.

what a coincidence, i froze my version at 1.19 and i've never seen a compelling reason to unfreeze

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah 1.19 whips

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you stay stuck in 1.19, you will not be able to join The Conversation

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I made the mistake of playing with the diplo macro builder, and now 1.19 is so unsatisfying to me depsite everything else about it being perfect.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why do provinces of another country defecting over to your vassal give them absurd amounts of liberty desire? Like, 25% a pop, apparently? It makes no sense to me. Is that working as intended?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why do provinces of another country defecting over to your vassal give them absurd amounts of liberty desire? Like, 25% a pop, apparently? It makes no sense to me. Is that working as intended?

I think it's supposed to be an anti-exploit thing (Release a vassal that's about to break away from a neighboring country as an OPM, provinces revolt away, free land), but it feels like it could really could be done better...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I mean, I just diplo vassalized opm Georgia and then a few years later rebels popped and caused like four defections and now combined with my initial move of force converting them, they hate me forever. I'm just lucky that nobody wants to support their independence. If I knew this would happen, I would've tried to stop it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 26, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's a real shame that as the overall level of polish and intricacy of the game goes up they seem to be introducing other changes that actually reduce the amount of strategic decisionmaking. Reducing the number of viable NI groups and making TC provinces even better are not good changes for anyone.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish I could forge claims on behalf of my vassals. The lazy bastards (2-3 of them) have barely made any over many many decades in my current game. :argh:

Koramei posted:

Religious ideas can go join the other like 50% of idea groups that are basically worthless. Why the devs are so hesitant to balance the drat things is so bizarre to me considering how central they are to the game.
Hey, at least Humanism will be more powerful. Oh and if you are supposed to use more vassals it means Espionage ideas gets better too (-10% liberty desire).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poil posted:

I really wish I could forge claims on behalf of my vassals. The lazy bastards (2-3 of them) have barely made any over many many decades in my current game. :argh:

Something I see Arumba do a lot, and in the 15 hours I've played this I haven't tried to replicate so I can't say where this happens, is set provinces as special interest which tells his vassals to make claims.

I'm currently trying to unravel the mystery of merchant placement and light ships so haven't had time to rummage through the rest of the interface.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Hey, at least Humanism will be more powerful. Oh and if you are supposed to use more vassals it means Espionage ideas gets better too (-10% liberty desire).

Azhais posted:

Something I see Arumba do a lot, and in the 15 hours I've played this I haven't tried to replicate so I can't say where this happens, is set provinces as special interest which tells his vassals to make claims.

Vassals that have a leader with a diplomat personality will never forge claims, no matter what.

It's really dumb.

Poil posted:

And corruption reduction to counter the corruption from having too many territories! :shepface:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe they should nerf it next patch. At least change the capstone to something useful. Or at least more useful like +1 max sailors. :v:

Azhais posted:

I'm currently trying to unravel the mystery of merchant placement and light ships so haven't had time to rummage through the rest of the interface.
I know, I set them as special interest last century. :(

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Poil posted:

I know, I set them as special interest last century. :(

they're very unreliable unfortuately, and it gets worse

in my experience, a vassal will fabricate a claim on any given province exactly once, and gently caress you if you don't take them from their current owner before the claim expires

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jazerus posted:

they're very unreliable unfortuately, and it gets worse

in my experience, a vassal will fabricate a claim on any given province exactly once, and gently caress you if you don't take them from their current owner before the claim expires

"We tried, but you didn't even bother... :mad: "

I swear the AI for vassals is out to troll you sometimes, they become passive-aggressive little shits.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

"We tried, but you didn't even bother... :mad: "

I swear the AI for vassals is out to troll you sometimes, they become passive-aggressive little shits.
Wouldn't you do that?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

my game keeps minimizing itself randomly

i seem to have fixed this by completely removing eu4 from AVG's "Do Not Disturb" mode :goofy:

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Never seen this before.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The Liberty Desire on province defection was introduced because of Persia. The go to strat was to fully occupy the Timurids, cause their WE to go to 20 and then only take one Persian province. Release Persia as a vassal and the rest of it would defect from rebels for 0 aggressive expansion.

And yeah it doesn't make that much sense anymore now, like so many things. Good thing their focused on making the game actively worse by introducing amazing things like the territory changes. Have fun playing every game with Humanism and Influence I guess.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I mean, I play every game with Humanism anyway, because I want to imagine that I'm making life better for my pixelmans :shobon:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Redeye Flight posted:

I mean, I play every game with Humanism anyway, because I want to imagine that I'm making life better for my pixelmans :shobon:

same :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Finished off my Jihad run. Only time I think I've done expansion ideas since I sorta figured the game out, but I really wanted that third colonist. Wasn't too hard via the trusty "suck up to the Ottomans at every opportunity" tactic. Just beat the Portuguese to the Cape colonies and you're good. The first 50 years or so suck bigly though due to lack of cash until you can scoop up the sweet Iraqi provinces.

I should do one faith before the patch, but that's so much :effort:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So there is an event talking about Kitara in central Africa, but for some reason it isn't a formable. This disappoints me.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
New Dev Diary but more interestingly the manual for Dharama which goes into much more depth and has a listing of all the government reforms.
The government reforms sounds very interesting but I wish all reforms were available to all countries, perhaps with more negative effects to compensate.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Colonists being able to boost existing provinces feels pretty huge, though I wonder how nonsensical strategies for non-colonizers using it will get, given the relevant idea sets.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Roadie posted:

Colonists being able to boost existing provinces feels pretty huge, though I wonder how nonsensical strategies for non-colonizers using it will get, given the relevant idea sets.

I could see grabbing expansion if the bonuses are good enough, since it gives a few other nice bonuses, but it'd be a pretty niche pick. I can't see it being strong enough in most cases to displace Diplo or Humanist as early-mid game picks, (or admin esp with the new state limit nerf), and late game Expansion is probably too late to be meaningful.

The silliest strategy I can think of is a "long game" strategy for some weak starts where just grab the colonist, use it to boost dev during downtime, and then cancel the idea group and replace it with something better once you grow past needing it.

E: No, wait, here's the strategy. Be a horde, stick a colonist in a province, raze the province once it's grown enough and rotate the colonist to a different recovering province. It's basically a straight money -> monarch point conversion.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 29, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Keep in mind that development got a huge boost due to the silly territory nerf. That nerf also makes some of the government reforms pointless since they compete against +state limit reforms.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, the government reform and trade company revamps are super cool to me, seeing as I'm planning a tall Hormuz run that sucks up all Asian trade into Aden. Can't wait!

Now I'm wondering if my old vision of only taking CoT provinces in trade company zones is still the better option, though, what with trade companies being able to buff production in their holdings.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 29, 2018

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

aqu posted:

New Dev Diary but more interestingly the manual for Dharama which goes into much more depth and has a listing of all the government reforms.
The government reforms sounds very interesting but I wish all reforms were available to all countries, perhaps with more negative effects to compensate.

I'm feeling optimistic about Dharma, more so than the last few expansions. I'm glad Paradox is still able to revisit some of the core systems to make them more consistent and visible, even if there are a lot of special cases in some of those government forms.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Did we already know Mughals can get a -3% army tradition decay reform? I must have missed it if so, that's just insane.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Staltran posted:

Did we already know Mughals can get a -3% army tradition decay reform? I must have missed it if so, that's just insane.

Europa Universalis IV: Keeping up with the Streltzes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

I didnt - that is bananas.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm pretty convinced that must be a typo.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Is manually setting your attitude to other countries bugged? I'm trying to play Granada but can't set my attitude to Castile as threatened because they're apparently not 33% more powerful than me in 1444.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ooh, the free policy slot is nice. I just wish this update wasn't reworking territories. That's the one thing that seems like a pain in the rear end, particularly given how it's loving with religious conversion too.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yeah, the territory change seems obnoxious. I would be fine with, say, a -3% to conversion strength or something, but absolutely no conversion and also corruption by province for some bizarre reason reason is just stupid.

Shame since pretty much everything else is gonna make me really want to play this patch...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It does lead to the weird thing where large empires full of unstated provinces have lower revolt risk. So they'll be even more stable? :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

It does lead to the weird thing where large empires full of unstated provinces have lower revolt risk. So they'll be even more stable? :v:
:cripes: I forgot about this.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

More stable, and have no money somehow. Sounds totally sensible :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Empires large enough to care about this have more money than god’s representative. They will be fine IMO

The conversion part is what sucks