Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Their average is just under our provincial maximum, so that means they're better?

:thunk:

You drink a lot of raw milk as a kid Ikantski?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

There are no sacred cows the libs won't give up to save nafta.

I guess 4 billion dollars is a lot better of a deal than the 23 billion a year the US government gives to the American diary industry

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Their average is just under our provincial maximum, so that means they're better?

:thunk:

You drink a lot of raw milk as a kid Ikantski?

Yeah man, it was basically all I drank for the first 6 months. Maximum here is 400k. US export maximum is 400k. Our actual average is 205ish. US actual average is 204ish. The milk men are boogeymaning comparing our actual average (which is the same as their actual average) to their maximum allowed (which is actually the same as our max).

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yeah man, it was basically all I drank for the first 6 months. Maximum here is 400k. US export maximum is 400k. Our actual average is 205ish. US actual average is 204ish. The milk men are boogeymaning comparing our actual average (which is the same as their actual average) to their maximum allowed (which is actually the same as our max).

It says that the US maximum is 700000, and that the typical US import is 400000. Not that the US maximum or average is 200000.

Oh the second quote is for US, okay I understand now.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 29, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The point of supply side management is to protect the suppliers, everything else is secondary. If we're going to nuke our own industry for the sake of a free trade agreement that will give us access to someone else's protected industry, well Trudeau really a worse businessman than Trump.

I will say if you really hate rurals and rural Canada, supporting this is a good way to advance your goals.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 29, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, but he's doing it to save our other industry, because if we sink our dairy farmers then Trump won't impose punitive tariffs on steel that will negatively affect American businesses operating in Canada.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
True, we must do everything we can to save our branch plants that can be shut down at a moment's notice if unions demand too much like a living wage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How about we let the Americans send their milk to AB.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

How about we let the Americans have AB.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

How about we let the Americans have AB.

"Canada takes radical measures to meet GHG emissions target"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's stunningly effective.

TIL there's a lot of folks from Northern Ontario that somehow think they're subsidizing Toronto. I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion, but I suspect it's because they're very, very stupid.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Northern Ontario becoming their own province would be hilarious. They would be top of the list in terms of transfers for healthcare (loool), and couldn't afford to fix their crumbling infrastructure within 20 10 5 2 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like the folks who got rooked by the cancellation of the basic income pilot are the next group to sue the provincial government.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TIL there's a lot of folks from Northern Ontario that somehow think they're subsidizing Toronto. I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion, but I suspect it's because they're very, very stupid.

Its just full of immigrants not working on my dime!!

That's pretty much what I've heard for that reasoning. They've never been to Toronto because they're afraid a scary brown person will murder them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is a rural misconception the world over for some reason and has become just a truism amongst rural/right wing circles. Cities are where all the welfare queens live, cities are full of stupid wasteful poo poo like homeless shelters and transit systems and bike lanes and museums. Who's paying for all this?? That's right, it's you, joe blue collar rural working at the local autoparts store and living on a 20 acre lot you grow some corn and pumpkins on order to get an agricultural tax break. The cities are stealing your pumpkin profits to pay for all the welfare bums in the city.

Also the huge network of paved roads and other infrastructure that only exists to service a tiny handful of barely-farmed rural lots mostly used for doing sweet jumps in a quad are 100% free.

You can show them data like "here's the total tax income from your region vs the cost of services and infrastructure, here's the total tax income of this urban region vs the cost of its services" and they'll still just ramble on about modern art grants and welfare queens and how they WORK for their money.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

This is a rural misconception the world over for some reason and has become just a truism amongst rural/right wing circles. Cities are where all the welfare queens live, cities are full of stupid wasteful poo poo like homeless shelters and transit systems and bike lanes and museums. Who's paying for all this?? That's right, it's you, joe blue collar rural working at the local autoparts store and living on a 20 acre lot you grow some corn and pumpkins on order to get an agricultural tax break. The cities are stealing your pumpkin profits to pay for all the welfare bums in the city.

Also the huge network of paved roads and other infrastructure that only exists to service a tiny handful of barely-farmed rural lots mostly used for doing sweet jumps in a quad are 100% free.

You can show them data like "here's the total tax income from your region vs the cost of services and infrastructure, here's the total tax income of this urban region vs the cost of its services" and they'll still just ramble on about modern art grants and welfare queens and how they WORK for their money.

Most of the peak stupid FYGM politics comes from the suburbs and not rural areas. The rural areas bring in the alex jones conspiracy nutjobs.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I read the Tesla case this morning, it's worth looking up on Canlii.org. Tesla won because they were singled out by the government basically.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2018/2018onsc5062/2018onsc5062.html

quote:

[64]           In conclusion, the decision to exclude Tesla by limiting the transition program to only franchised dealerships is arbitrary and unrelated to the purposes of the statutory or regulatory discretion being exercised. In my view, it is egregious, as that term was used by Dickson J. above, because, not only was it made for an improper purpose, but because the Minister singled out Tesla for reprobation and harm without provided Tesla any opportunity to be heard or any fair process whatsoever.

Strong language by the decider imo but unfortunately not much of a blueprint to attack other OPC initiatives in the courts.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 29, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
How is the lawsuit going to work? I think the UBI pilot was good and shouldn't have been stopped but how do you sue the government for halting a program? I assume it'd come from some other angle.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Reince Penis posted:

I read the Tesla case this morning, it's worth looking up on Canlii.org. Tesla won because they were singled out by the government basically.

Considering Dougie was quoted in the Tesla case as "giving rebates of up to $16,000 with our hard-earned money to millionaires buying $80,000 cars, $100,000 cars", I wouldn't be surprised if there's another quote in the wild about how those welfare queens should just work a second job instead of expecting basic income handouts from the government.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

How is the lawsuit going to work? I think the UBI pilot was good and shouldn't have been stopped but how do you sue the government for halting a program? I assume it'd come from some other angle.

IDK about that one, but Toronto's legal challenge to Bill 5 (the one where they Thanos'd city council) is based on "unwritten principles of the Constitution", which seems pretty hilarious.

Jan posted:

Considering Dougie was quoted in the Tesla case as "giving rebates of up to $16,000 with our hard-earned money to millionaires buying $80,000 cars, $100,000 cars"

Which of course is literally untrue, the program was capped at $75k and only one Tesla model 3 even qualified. But, I mean, I wouldn't expect him to know that, or anything else about the actual policies he's gutting.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

IDK about that one, but Toronto's legal challenge to Bill 5 (the one where they Thanos'd city council) is based on "unwritten principles of the Constitution", which seems pretty hilarious.

The article you posted said "The intent to file is for 'anticipatory breach of contract, negligence, and misfeasance in public office.'" Sounds serious.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My first guess was breach of contract, like the government and the trialists both signed a contract saying "you get this much per month for three years" and now one year in the government is trying to back out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If that's how it was implemented it would make sense, I haven't seen anything on the actual nuts and bolts of the UBI pilot though.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
:toot:

quote:

President Trump said Wednesday that talks between the U.S. and Canada appear to be on a path to a final deal by Friday, the deadline set by the Trump administration.

"We gave 'til Friday, and I think we're probably on track," he told reporters at the White House. "We'll see what happens."

When asked if he's optimistic about a final deal, Trump said, "I think so."

"I think Canada very much wants to make the deal, and I think it's going to be obviously very good for Canada if they do, and I think it's probably not going to be good at all if they don't," he said.

"We'll see whether or not Canada gets into it, otherwise we'll do something separately," Trump reiterated Wednesday. "Or we won't do anything, which is OK too."

"I think they're going really well," Trump said of the talks. "Canada is here right now. They were here 'til late in the evening; they came to see us and wanted to meet us. They want to be a part of it."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Talking out of both sides of his mouth

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/canrevagency/status/1034880968610459649?s=21

just FYI everyone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/queenspark/2018/08/28/ford-says-he-has-to-break-promise-to-stop-bala-falls-hydroelectric-project.html

Oh no Dougie is breaking his promises surprise

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Is monero foreign income?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Proud Boys Canada accidentally posted on facebook praising german efficiency in genocide

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1034564778314944512

Whoops!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It wasn't even an efficient genocide, they got owned. Hell, some of their victims are doing a better job at genocide than them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You want to see an effective genocide take a look at Japan. They got away with human experimentation and traded their medical research for amnesty.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

You want to see an effective genocide take a look at Japan. They got away with human experimentation and traded their medical research for amnesty.

Of course, that happened during U.S. human experimentation trials. The U.S., U.K. and Canada at least were also involved in eugenics at the time.

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 30, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/shaw-offered-better-deals-to-mandarin-cantonese-speaking-customers-lawsuit-1.4073423

quote:

A former Shaw Communications employee is suing the telecoms giant for allegedly forcing her offer better deals to customers who spoke Mandarin or Cantonese.

According to a civil claim filed with the B.C. Supreme Court earlier this month, Kwok Bo Daisy Halliday worked as a multi-cultural customer service representative for the company between February and May.

"She is a native-born, Chinese-speaking person herself," said her lawyer, Martin Sheard, adding that Halliday was tasked with answering retention calls during which dissatisfied customers threatened to leave and sign up for a competitor's services.

"We have alleged that Shaw was giving preferential treatment to any customer who happens to speak either Cantonese, Mandarin or both vis-à-vis its other customers," Sheard told CTV News Wednesday. "We do have documentary evidence to establish this which will come out during the course of the litigation."

Sheard said the alleged practice runs afoul of several laws, including B.C.'s Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act.

"It is unlawful to engage in practices where the practices are deceptive, so giving one group of people preferential treatment vis-à-vis a price versus another group of people can be done in certain circumstances, but it would appear that in these circumstances, Shaw is trying to use language as a shield to not be found out," he said.

The lawyer said he's aware of the existence of at least one email that works to prove his client's claim.

According to the court documents, Halliday was let get go "without cause and without notice" on May 7 and is also seeking damages for wrongful termination.

She is also asking for compensation for legal costs and any additional relief that might be decided by the court.

According to its website, Shaw began its operations in 1971. It now provides internet, telephone, mobile and cable television services to 3.2 million customers.

The lawsuit asks the court to award punitive damages against the company. Sheard said the dollar amount of those damages should reflect the defendant's wealth and be enough to act as a deterrent moving forward.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

Of course, that happened during U.S. human experimentation trials. The U.S., U.K. and Canada at least were also involved in eugenics at the time.

The unspoken story is that a similar thing happened with developing vaginoplasty for trans women. After WW2 there were some new German doctors in Morocco with some new things to try...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

The unspoken story is that a similar thing happened with developing vaginoplasty for trans women. After WW2 there were some new German doctors in Morocco with some new things to try...

There's actually a documentary about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skin_I_Live_In

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

There's actually a documentary about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skin_I_Live_In

what the gently caress. that's just some messed up cis dude's thing, not a documentary you dipshit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think he meant to link to this documentary https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

xtal's been shitposting today. Drawing any sort of equivalence between transgender surgery and serial killer bullshit is actually a dick thing to do though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

what the gently caress. that's just some messed up cis dude's thing, not a documentary you dipshit

:thejoke:

BattleMaster posted:

xtal's been shitposting today. Drawing any sort of equivalence between transgender surgery and serial killer bullshit is actually a dick thing to do though.

I have never not shitposted, but I was pretty clearly drawing an equivalence between serial killer bullshit and serial killer bullshit. Trying to out-progressive me is a fool's errand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I have no loving clue what you mean, xtal. Are you saying that my statement about the origin of modern sexual reassignment surgery was “serial killer bullshit” or what?