Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah Apple has the design chops and is an industry-leading force. Nintendo makes third-rate hardware with loving stupid peripherals and design, and hopes you will forgive that for the boutique feel and Mario whatever

I do because Mario fuckin rules and consoles aren't a thing I use daily to do my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

signalnoise posted:

gently caress!

I... don't understand.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If No Man's Sky fixed the interface and actually told you how quests are related on a chart or something it would be brilliant, and got rid of Pulse Engine fuel too.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
In my opinion, AC Origins had massively improved gameplay from the previous games. Stuff like combat and the way the character moved seemed a lot better to me. However, the small, relatively flat and sparsely populated cities in Origins just weren't as impressive as the huge, bustling cities in Unity and Syndicate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

I'm mainly a PC gamer and Halo is still the best fps I ever played. Halo Reach is my fav, come at me.

Sounds like you don't play a lot of games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Perfect Dark was so loving good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I... don't understand.

Using location only, which button is confirm, and which button is cancel?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nintendo is the Apple of consoles

Nintendo actually isn't complete garbage.

signalnoise posted:

Yes except that using their software after using the other company's software doesn't require you to abandon your understanding of the interface

gently caress!

People who used the "red button = jump, yellow button = attack" control scheme on SNES games are loving insane

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah Apple has the design chops and is an industry-leading force. Nintendo makes third-rate hardware with loving stupid peripherals and design, and hopes you will forgive that for the boutique feel and Mario whatever

here's an unpopular opinion, half of apple's design choices are trash

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nintendo made a console that you can plug the controllers in and its a handheld, pretty sick imo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Nintendo came up with modern controller design in 1990. And while Sony and Microsoft have been content to just replicate Nintendo's SNES controller with some minor adjustments to what the buttons are labelled, Nintendo kept experimenting and innovating, never treating controller design as a settled question that could just be iterated on in tiny ways for the rest of time. They even settled the question themselves with the Gamecube controller, the best controller ever, but they still kept on trying. Let's salute Nintendo

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
A lot of Japanese games use circle to accept and x to cancel though, so the xbox controller is the one screwing it up!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best controller is a keyboard and mouse, hope this helps

It is better than a controller foreverially

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nintendo is the Apple of consoles

But Nintendo fans aren't insufferable, generally

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Away all Goats posted:

You must have never publicly disliked any part of a Zelda game.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

Now this is an unpopular opinion.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

On a SNES controller it should be A = accept, B = cancel, but B = jump and Y = attack, while A = special attack/talk to people in RPG. Anything else is weird. I got really annoyed with my Retropi because it defaults to the weird A = jump B = attack scheme, except for actual SNES games.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Microsoft swapped the blue/green buttons, put X where B is supposed to be and put B somewhere else, which makes it even more annoying to emulate n64 games

2house2fly posted:

The controllers are what makes it a gaming machine, as opposed to a PC you put under your TV

you can plug any controller you want into the PC under your TV, does that make it a gaming machine

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 29, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can modern PCs boot without a detected keyboard? I guess the one "advantage" of a console over a PC is that its whole system can be controlled with a glorified TV remote, which is actually an disadvantage if you are interested in using sensible, non-maddening controls for typing and navigating menus instead.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 29, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

signalnoise posted:

Yes except that using their software after using the other company's software doesn't require you to abandon your understanding of the interface

gently caress!

I've been Switch-only for a few months and recently played a game on my Xbone and just kept backing out of menus constantly

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I've been Switch-only for a few months and recently played a game on my Xbone and just kept backing out of menus constantly

The most annoying poo poo is that the letter assignment for confirm/cancel, divorced from position, is the same between microsoft and nintendo for that extra go gently caress yourself

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

lmfao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

smh if you haven't forever accustomed yourself to the "Zabie" button layout since Chrono Trigger.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Zzulu posted:

The best controller is a keyboard and mouse, hope this helps

It is better than a controller foreverially

The truly best controller is actually using both. It's amazing when games allow you to switch at any time. Wouldn't stand GTA V otherwise, piloting with a keyboard and mouse is complete garbage.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Halser posted:

The truly best controller is actually using both. It's amazing when games allow you to switch at any time. Wouldn't stand GTA V otherwise, piloting with a keyboard and mouse is complete garbage.

the last few farcry games are stealth infiltration games on gamepad and shooters on m+k

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The best controller is totally when you use a mouse and keyboard to fly a helicopter in a multiplayer FPS and just crash immediately

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

PC users are way more toxic, disgusting, annoying, and vocal than Apple users

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Decorating your PC in RGB colored paraphernalia is the result of repressed femininity in male gamers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Decorating your PC in RGB colored paraphernalia is the result of repressed femininity in male gamers

My love of hot pink bullshit is not repressed at all thanks

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Verisimilidude posted:

What do Apple users have to do with videogames

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

My love of hot pink bullshit is not repressed at all thanks

Yeah hot pink loving rules and if you give me the ability to customize my color in any game you bet your rear end that color is showing up.

Not using Hot-pink Captain Falcon is a loving hate crime.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

What do Apple users have to do with videogames

:thurman:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

it just seems that way because there are 10 PC users for every OSX user on earth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

signalnoise posted:

gently caress!

This isn't Nintendo's fault, though. They had A on the right, B on the bottom for years before Sony came along, and then Sony did the same thing (Circle to confirm, X to cancel) until it turned out that western players apparently found "red circle = confirm" confusing, despite it being in the same position as the confirm/cancel buttons on the Nintendo consoles we were all used to. So after that, all Playstation games in the west had the confirm/cancel buttons flipped, and Microsoft followed suit, so now Nintendo looks like the outlier to westerners.

Basically what I'm saying is it's all Sony's fault that I can't use my Xbox controller anymore because I played too much Switch

yeah, that makes sense

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harrow posted:

This isn't Nintendo's fault, though. They had A on the right, B on the bottom for years before Sony came along, and then Sony did the same thing (Circle to confirm, X to cancel) until it turned out that western players apparently found "red circle = confirm" confusing, despite it being in the same position as the confirm/cancel buttons on the Nintendo consoles we were all used to. So after that, all Playstation games in the west had the confirm/cancel buttons flipped, and Microsoft followed suit, so now Nintendo looks like the outlier to westerners.

Basically what I'm saying is it's all Sony's fault that I can't use my Xbox controller anymore because I played too much Switch

yeah, that makes sense

it's an issue that only exists because consoles lock you into their proprietary control scheme and often don't let you remap

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I think stories in video games are entirely over rated and I think game balance is the most important part of a game.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Inverse posted:

I think stories in video games are entirely over rated and I think game balance is the most important part of a game.

Story is very much over-valued in games and people who think games have amazing stories probably don't read or consume anything else with much narrative value.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Inverse posted:

endgame imbalance is a central feature of classic rpgs and the fact that this cannot happen in MMOs is part of the reason they will always be poo poo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 29, 2018

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It should be made illegal for Microsoft to have a blue X button on their controller.

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Inverse posted:

Stories are usually just disruptive. There's a few exceptions where the story is actually kind of interesting but if your game is about gameplay the story should only exist to contextualize gameplay and no more than that.