Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

d0grent posted:

if you put down more than 2 wards per game, you'll find that you win more games, and will be less frustrated.

What is frustrating is going 1 win and 1 loss and having a net loss of 9 lp for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Enigma89 posted:

What is frustrating is going 1 win and 1 loss and having a net loss of 9 lp for the day.

It's pretty funny watching you actively fight improving and then whining about it.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

usually if you win games your MMR goes up to the proper level. playing a lot of games in bracket x is never really an issue either honestly. i pretty regularly tank my account down to gold messing around and climb back up to plat 1 or whatever. the lp gain issue is just in the case where you get lucky and win a few in a row and promote without actually earning an MMR to match that bracket.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Rygar201 posted:

It's pretty funny watching you actively fight improving and then whining about it.

I don't need to improve to climb more. I havent hit my cieling for my current game knowledge. That is abundantly clear to me.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I don't need to improve to climb more. I havent hit my cieling for my current game knowledge. That is abundantly clear to me.

this is demonstrably not true.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

If you start winning more often, that rubberbanding will vanish. You gotta prove to the system that you deserve a higher rank by improving your win rate. If you hover around 49-50%, it's not gonna let you just climb through grinding and attrition--you have to earn it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Someone at Gold Elo shouldn't be trying to be a Draven main then complaining about how they cant progress

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

I haven't been able to find a link to your op.gg (maybe it's somewhere earlier in the thread?) but if you're at a sub 50% wr over 1000+ games, as was mentioned earlier, then the game isn't holding you back, you're holding yourself back. The game tries to get every player to a 50% winrate; if you're well above that, you will usually gain more MMR from wins. If you're below that, you'll gain less MMR.

That said, I think you're focusing on the wrong things here. Instead of worrying about what your LP is currently at, or how close you are to promos, you should be focusing on how to improve your gameplay. If you do that, you'll find your rank go up as a byproduct.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^^ its enigma89

Enigma89 posted:

Your mejais rush vlad is 0-3 and 10-18-9 combined in the last week but you should definitely be promoted

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Rygar201 posted:

this is demonstrably not true.

I am going to start a fresh account and just grind fresh I think. The entire time I have been gold I have not been able to gain and lose an equal amount of LP per game. I have basically have had my feet shackled and expected to climb. It sucks losing a ton of lp and barely gaining any.

After reading the comments here. It seems like if I didn't have 1k games in silver then the game wouldn't be trying to push me back to silver. How many games would I need to win to give the game confidence in my gold ranking?

It's that or I am totally misunderstanding the situation.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I am totally misunderstanding the situation.

It's this

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

:thunk:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the MMR system works exactly the same as dota does so i dont understand what you're confused about. the only difference is that you can't see the number but your LP gains tell you its really low. making a new account will not make you play better so i dont know what you hope to accomplish with it.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

I am going to start a fresh account and just grind fresh I think. The entire time I have been gold I have not been able to gain and lose an equal amount of LP per game. I have basically have had my feet shackled and expected to climb. It sucks losing a ton of lp and barely gaining any.

After reading the comments here. It seems like if I didn't have 1k games in silver then the game wouldn't be trying to push me back to silver. How many games would I need to win to give the game confidence in my gold ranking?

It's that or I am totally misunderstanding the situation.

You are misunderstanding. I think you will find a fresh account is going to get stuck in the exact same place you are now.

The people in this thread are not trying to be mean to you, we're just trying to help you understand that the way to raise in rank in this game is to improve your game mechanics and decision making.

Link me your op.gg and I can probably help you figure out some stuff?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Enigma89 posted:

I just don't like the rubber band. In DotA you just have your raw MMR number, I am not sure why League tries to add a new dimension to this. It is frustrating to fight both the game and your opponents because the game will try to weigh you down because it thinks you are higher than your true rank.

In a way the game is punishing me because I tried to challenge myself by only playing draven through silver. As soon as I switched to mid I popped up to Gold relatively fast.

I am starting to think that it is better just to start a fresh account and blitz through silver and come to gold with a cleaner MMR. It seems more work than it is worth to try to fix my mmr while being in gold. There is too much risk by losing so much LP per game and the idea of that is more tilting than anything.

If I didn't have the rubber band I would be higher because I was within 3lp of promos already. Knowing that is really loving frustrating and tilts me more than any inter or feeder. This rubber band pisses me off so much that it makes me want to not play anymore. So I am tempted to just wait for the season to start over and having my MMR be recalibrated.

Dunning, meet Kruger

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mystery Prize posted:

The people in this thread are not trying to be mean to you, we're just trying to help you understand that the way to raise in rank in this game is to improve your game mechanics and decision making.
And maybe try using your free ward, that you get for free, more than once a game

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Radical posted:

the MMR system works exactly the same as dota does so i dont understand what you're confused about. the only difference is that you can't see the number but your LP gains tell you its really low. making a new account will not make you play better so i dont know what you hope to accomplish with it.

My hope is to be in gold and have an equal gain loss for LP per game. If my MMR is depressed because I spent so much time in silver then it seems smarter to start fresh and just get to gold by playing mid instead of draven.

It seems much faster instead of trying to fix my MMR in low gold and having the threat of being demoted every few games.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

My hope is to be in gold and have an equal gain loss for LP per game. If my MMR is depressed because I spent so much time in silver then it seems smarter to start fresh and just get to gold by playing mid instead of draven.

It seems much faster instead of trying to fix my MMR in low gold and having the threat of being demoted every few games.

It's not because you spent too much time in silver my dude, it's because your win rate is around 50%

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Enigma89 posted:

Lmaooooo

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

The Mash posted:

Dunning, meet Kruger

gently caress this.

Is there any way to get a fresh lvl 30 account? I am ready for a tox challenge .

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

You are misunderstanding. I think you will find a fresh account is going to get stuck in the exact same place you are now.

Link me your op.gg and I can probably help you figure out some stuff?

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=enigma89

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You can get your mmr from silver 3 to gold 3 by going on like a 10 game win streak

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the confidence rating is just for detecting smurfs, it doesn't actually apply to you unless you're able to string together 10+ crushing victories in a row. the system is "confident" in your rating, but making a new account only means that, unless you play like a smurf, you'll calibrate anywhere from silver 5 to gold 5. and again, unless you're consistently winning games right now all that means is that you're going to have to play another 1k games to get to gold on that account.

at this point i feel like its worth mentioning that your entire thought process is really well-trod ground, and it never ends well for the person that suspects the system is against them.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

misguided rage posted:

You can get your mmr from silver 3 to gold 3 by going on like a 10 game win streak

No!!! Itll take at least another 1000 games! I need a new account that's the problem!

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

The matchmaking system gets more and more confident about its placement as you play more games, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to change. Since you can't seem to get above a 50% win rate, you seem to be exactly where you currently belong at the moment. If you go 15-5 in your next 20 games, you will climb because you've demonstrated that you've improved.

I'm not sure how many more people need to explain this before it sinks in.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

misguided rage posted:

I am not sure if that is really true. I went on a massive win streak and my MMR was up to gold 3 on op.gg. Someone here posted another mmr website and it said my MMR was only S2.

The reaction in the thread was that my account had a lot of baggage from having nearly 1k games in silver.

So my posts now have been in reaction to that. I have almost climbed (3 lp) to g4 with this rubber band. My argument is that if I didn't have these rubber bands I would climb more. This is my very first season of League so I had to learn the game the entire time in silver (I bought xp boosters to hit lvl 30 faster).

Based on the information that my account is held back by so many games in silver, my thoughts are that it is better to make a whole new account and start fresh. I will hit gold much faster than last time (I know the game now) and I will not have this rubber band on my account.

Either I am right or the information that I got about my account being weighed down from so many silver games is wrong.

Also this posting is consuming me rn so I am going to post when I get out of work because this is distracting me too much.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Your problem is that you don't win enough games. Forget about how many games you've played. Your problem is that you aren't winning enough now, and think you're too good to bother with improving. This is a recipe for disappointment.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Super Librarian posted:

I'm not sure how many more people need to explain this before it sinks in.

An infinite number, because it's not the answer anyone who has ever talked about their 'real' or 'true' rank wants to hear.

I will throw in with the futility though and say largely just practice last hitting in lane, and when you get good at that practice trading in lane. If you're playing as well as everyone else in the game but have more gold your win rate will go up, just due to having more stats when the stupid deathballs happen.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

I am not sure if that is really true. I went on a massive win streak and my MMR was up to gold 3 on op.gg. Someone here posted another mmr website and it said my MMR was only S2.

The reaction in the thread was that my account had a lot of baggage from having nearly 1k games in silver.

So my posts now have been in reaction to that. I have almost climbed (3 lp) to g4 with this rubber band. My argument is that if I didn't have these rubber bands I would climb more. This is my very first season of League so I had to learn the game the entire time in silver (I bought xp boosters to hit lvl 30 faster).

Based on the information that my account is held back by so many games in silver, my thoughts are that it is better to make a whole new account and start fresh. I will hit gold much faster than last time (I know the game now) and I will not have this rubber band on my account.

Either I am right or the information that I got about my account being weighed down from so many silver games is wrong.

Also this posting is consuming me rn so I am going to post when I get out of work because this is distracting me too much.

What everyone isn't telling you is one of the guys here is a rioter and when someone comes in here new they usually throw a little -5-10% overall loss rating on their account as a joke to haze the new guys. It's pretty frustrating. You should be at least g3

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Rygar201 posted:

Your problem is that you don't win enough games. Forget about how many games you've played. Your problem is that you aren't winning enough now, and think you're too good to bother with improving. This is a recipe for disappointment.

Would you be willing to make a bet on what rank I hit before the end of the season?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

Would you be willing to make a bet on what rank I hit before the end of the season?

Are you going to play another 1k games?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enigma89 posted:

I just don't like the rubber band. In DotA you just have your raw MMR number, I am not sure why League tries to add a new dimension to this. It is frustrating to fight both the game and your opponents because the game will try to weigh you down because it thinks you are higher than your true rank.

In a way the game is punishing me because I tried to challenge myself by only playing draven through silver. As soon as I switched to mid I popped up to Gold relatively fast.

I am starting to think that it is better just to start a fresh account and blitz through silver and come to gold with a cleaner MMR. It seems more work than it is worth to try to fix my mmr while being in gold. There is too much risk by losing so much LP per game and the idea of that is more tilting than anything.

If I didn't have the rubber band I would be higher because I was within 3lp of promos already. Knowing that is really loving frustrating and tilts me more than any inter or feeder. This rubber band pisses me off so much that it makes me want to not play anymore. So I am tempted to just wait for the season to start over and having my MMR be recalibrated.

Well, let's see. I agree with you that seeing your raw MMR is better! I've never been much of a fan of not seeing your raw MMR. In S1 and S2 you could see the raw value. The reason they (and most of the industry) changed is because assorted studies/tests showed people get more ladder anxiety this way, and with arbitrary ranks and floors people can feel more comfortable playing.

But the system right now, behind-the-scenes, is pretty straight-forward. I'm not a rioter, so you're more than free to take my word with a grain of salt, but I did have a huge thread explaining LoL's MMR stickied in the official forums before Riot had their own FAQ, if this serves of anything, and I'm a huge theorycrafting math nerd, enough that Rioters used my data as their go-to link for well over a year.

LoL uses a very standard Elo system, with the addition of the need to do a best-of-3/5 series which I don't personally like. What you feel of a rubber band is just the standard, very, very standard paired system of MMR and Confidence. Here's the good news: There's a limit on how high confidence the system can have! That means any win streak will pull you up. If you win like 4 or 5 matches in a row, the system will immediately notice something different, both your MMR will increase and confidence will decrease, and beautiful things will happen! In fact, the confidence of your 1000 games and the confidence of 100 games can be broken with a streak due to how aggressive the volatility of confidence in this game is, so any baggage can be removed with a positive win rate. The second-order derivative of the confidence modifier is enormous.

This is just a suggestion: I think it'd be good if you heeded your own self-imposed notion that this is just your casual game. The ranking system is fine, there's no esoteric mechanics pulling you down like they did in, say, Overwatch. We all get tilted at times, and some matches can be stressful when expectations aren't met. Here's another anecdote: When I first played this game, the notion of reaching Gold was an absurd one - I had never played DotA, and I was being crushed. My actual goal was reaching the top 50%. Being on the exact average, that was my goal. During that time I've seen people cruise to Diamond in a few months, and I've also seen a pro MTG player who gets paid to travel the world to play MTG be so utterly arrogant about his vision of what the true meta should be that it took him FOUR years of constant playing to get from Silver to Gold. He only started to improve when he actually said outloud "I hosed up and learned the game wrong".

I think you beat yourself up too much, and you beat up the game as well in the process. You got to a pretty high place, there are plenty of people who get stuck in Bronze/Silver forever. I agree that if you're tilted, you should give this season a rest until the next one starts. Playing on tilt is statistically bad! And statistically speaking, you're better than the average, even at Gold 5 or Silver 1. And you had a very nice peak. That doesn't mean the system is trying to punish you, and honestly the best thing you can do is manage your expectations. There's only so far you can go by playing a certain way, and it's possible that you peaked and you're now plateauing over a certain play-style.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 29, 2018

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Enigma89 posted:

I cannot imagine finding the time to play a thousand games of ranked then hitting tilt off of having to play one more to get to my **~~true rank~~**

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

the rubber band holding you back is your indignant, self important attitude.

you played 1000+ games in silver, it's not holding you back, it's had 1000+ points of data and the system says you are where you are. Christ I swear people have been trying to help you sincerely and every response from you is whining about the rubber band or the system.

But really man, please make a Smurf account and prove us all wrong. I eagerly await you getting placed in s3 and coming back to whine some more.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I'll bet you a forums upgrade or 1350 rp skin that you top out at G5. You don't need to make a new account and go through all that stupid bullshit, just read one of my the many posts giving advice on improving and climbing and actually try.

Waste time making a new account if you want tho

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

This attitude right here is what is holding you back.

Edit: having a look at your op.gg I see a bunch of things you can improve on.

1.) When you play support champs, you don't fuckin ward. 12 wards placed in a 32 minute game when you have an item that literally gives you a stack of 3 of them every time you go back to base is completely unacceptable. Vision wins games.

2.) Stop rushing Deathcap on Vlad and don't buy a Mejais unless you're already stomping and want to end faster. Also, buy Lucidity boots instead of Sorcs; Vlad really likes CDR, the earlier the better. Also, get yourself a Spellbinder and/or Protobelt.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 29, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The rubber band works both ways, if Bond had your account for a weekend and boosted you all the way to Platinum you'd be gaining more LP than you lose because of the massive win streak but after say, 100 games of you doing poorly because you're not supposed to be at that MMR you will sink like a rock all the way back down to mid silver.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this is why you never play ranked, my friends

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

This attitude right here is what is holding you back.

Edit: having a look at your op.gg I see a bunch of things you can improve on.

1.) When you play support champs, you don't fuckin ward. 12 wards placed in a 32 minute game when you have an item that literally gives you a stack of 3 of them every time you go back to base is completely unacceptable. Vision wins games.

2.) Stop rushing Deathcap on Vlad and don't buy a Mejais unless you're already stomping and want to end faster. Also, buy Lucidity boots instead of Sorcs; Vlad really likes CDR, the earlier the better. Also, get yourself a Spellbinder and/or Protobelt.

Hes already said he thinks vision and wards dont matter. That poo poo is just holding him back

When you see someone not building protobelt when it's good on their champ its usually a clear indicator they're lacking at least the pretty simple ability to use activated items. If you warded more and built correctly and didn't play like you're owed something you'd move up in a week

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s been a while since I played LoL, but I’m pretty sure that having vision meant I died less to ganks. Which was nice, because dying was really holding me back.