Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So many feels in the Chat/Discussion thread. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You arent allowed to discuss here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Curses! Foiled again. :negative:

Oh well, this one gif is demicated to Colonel

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You're now allowed to discuss here but the only topic allowed to say is how epic something is

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

You're now allowed to discuss here but the only topic allowed to say is how epic something is

The Iliad is pretty epic.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

Envy's music can be pretty darn epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4EBbzNiKo

For the longest time, they were my favorite Japanese band and A Dead Sinking Story remains one of my favorite records ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Iliad is pretty epic.

I can't believe how much filler there was in the second chapter though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't believe how much filler there was in the second chapter though.

All the descriptions of pastoral life and grieving mothers is what makes the iliad good and wierd.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And it all happens in concert with the ultraviolence.

And lo did Ajax cut through the neck of telemachus and become covered in his lifeblood, and telemachus fell like an old olive tree raised on the cliffs sinks to the sea, and his mother would never again hear her boy play the lyre again, and would beat on her breast when she heard the news.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anti war war national epic that portrays the nation partially as amoral pirates and psychos and their enemy as mostly noble and tragic.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Have you read Salammbo, Sharky? I think it might be up your alley.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Knorth posted:

Marry. The. Ogre.

:3:

Anime Shrek looking good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

homeless snail posted:

here's my favorite shot in gunbuster, their visual reminder that the show, even in episode 5, is a parody as much as it is an effective drama

Nice

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Have you read Salammbo, Sharky? I think it might be up your alley.

I've heard of it but not read it, thanks for the reminder.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

homeless snail posted:

here's my favorite shot in gunbuster, their visual reminder that the show, even in episode 5, is a parody as much as it is an effective drama

Hahaha, I never noticed this.

Ive still never seen Diebuster, I really gotta fix that up soon

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Spent at least 2 minutes looking for loss in this

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Hahaha, I never noticed this.

Ive still never seen Diebuster, I really gotta fix that up soon

No.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

?????????

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Thanks to EWB's big list o' isekais, I've read some things of... varying quality over the past few days.

"This might be the bad kind of trash" warning signs:
- RPG mechanics that serve no narrative purpose.
- MC manages to "invent" something from the real world without any explanation as to how they got the raw materials [/ high-quality metals/ technical know-how / new world crops] that would involve.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Be careful out there. Don't get tricked into reading isekai manga or not watching Gunbuster.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dzhay posted:

- MC manages to "invent" something from the real world without any explanation as to how they got the raw materials [/ high-quality metals/ technical know-how / new world crops] that would involve.

have you read Dr. Stone op

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus Christ, I haven't seen Akira since 2003 when I was a junior in high school and that movie is still a loving mindjob.

Poor Kaori :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Thanks to EWB's big list o' isekais, I've read some things of... varying quality over the past few days.

"This might be the bad kind of trash" warning signs:
- RPG mechanics that serve no narrative purpose.

The majority of bad ones can be avoided by filtering out any with male protagonists, I find. Doesn't get rid of all the bad ones, but it's a good first pass.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nah.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like how, in KonoSuba, Kazutrash's "inventions" just enable him to go back to his hikikomori habits, because he's the worst.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I always heard ppl love Diebuster. Its one of those things Ive had ready to watch for ages but just never got around to it.

Well its only six eps and my time is worthless so Ill probably watch it anyway some day.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I always heard ppl love Diebuster. Its one of those things Ive had ready to watch for ages but just never got around to it.

Well its only six eps and my time is worthless so Ill probably watch it anyway some day.

You are not ready, my child

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

First you will have to read One Piece.

3 times in a row.

Under a waterfall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk what sharkopath's gimmick here is, but diebuster rules

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

diebuster rules

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

idk what sharkopath's gimmick here is, but diebuster rules

Just being goofy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As once and as always.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Diebuster is the best work that the specific iteration of gainax worked on and they sort of have been doing it over and over again in ttgl and klk and now franxx and it's not even close cause its such a short and focused and thematically resonant piece.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

But you arent allowed to watch it until you backpack across andalusia, drawing the doujis that lives in your heart page by page in the sand.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Always be kind to spiders!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chumbler posted:

The majority of bad ones can be avoided by filtering out any with male protagonists, I find. Doesn't get rid of all the bad ones, but it's a good first pass.

I'd amend that to "Male protagonists that stay human." There's the one where the guy becomes a sword which is pretty good, in my opinion.

Wark Say posted:

I like how, in KonoSuba, Kazutrash's "inventions" just enable him to go back to his hikikomori habits, because he's the worst.

I think a lot of people give KonoSuba a pass because it's a massive parody of the "hard men doing hard things" that a lot of popular isekai up to that point was (SAO, LH).

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sharkopath posted:

First you will have to read One Piece.

3 times in a row.

Under a waterfall.

You doubt my power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive spent years in secluded meditation studying a single Hunter Hunter panel just to understand the shocking Dao contained within the immaculately drawn turkey