Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

You seem to be using a different definition of conservative. Though there is a lot of creativity in the realm of snacks, that is true.

There isn't really though, even with snacks. The new/seasonal flavored KitKats are kind of the exception that proves the rule and certainly not indicative of Japanese cuisine as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the stereotype of british food being awful was mostly formed during the rationing of world war two

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Japanese cuisine has like four seasonings that make up everything: dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and deep fried.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Tunicate posted:

the stereotype of british food being awful was mostly formed during the rationing of world war two
He says, as the enticing scent of mom’s famous lettuce soup momentarily lifts him from the toilet.

Japanese food can get pretty weird. If you’re thinking “what? eating a whole baby octopus is not weird” then it must be a pretty high bar. I can’t imagine being in a restaurant in England and asking what is on the plate...”well yeah it’s eyeballs but WTH...those things have eyes?”.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Aug 29, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

You seem to be using a different definition of conservative. Though there is a lot of creativity in the realm of snacks, that is true.

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't think so. What are people meaning by conservative?

Put it this way: the average Japanese person probably wouldn't find anything inedible in British cuisine, beyond personal preferences/allergies/whatever, but I'm pretty adventurous about food and I've been served stuff here a number of times that I found difficult to eat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OutsideAngel posted:

Japanese cuisine has like four seasonings that make up everything: dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and deep fried.

Wasabi and teriyaki.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mayo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bike tory posted:

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't think so. What are people meaning by conservative?

Put it this way: the average Japanese person probably wouldn't find anything inedible in British cuisine, beyond personal preferences/allergies/whatever, but I'm pretty adventurous about food and I've been served stuff here a number of times that I found difficult to eat.

What I'm meaning by conservative is Japanese cuisine is very resistant to change. You think natto is adventurous, but Japanese ppl in Kanto/Touhoku at least have been eating natto for literally centuries, if not longer. Wikipedia dates the "modern" incarnation of tempura back to the 16th century. Probably the most adventurous/innovative area of Japanese food is ramen, which is still kind of considered a dish borrowed from China. A lot of ramen places still bill their food as Chinese soba. I dunno, the concept is so fundamental to Japanese food that there's too many examples to choose from. I mean look at what people outside Japan have done with (to) sushi versus how it's made in Japan.

Regarding your second point, my wife's family (Japanese) lived in the UK for years and they all say that except for breakfast, tea and fish and chips British food was uniformly disgusting. They mainly ate Chinese and Indian. Biggest complaints were everything being overcooked, underseasoned and too chewy/stringy. Small sample size, but there you go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My definition is the same as Stringent's. I agree ramen is the most vibrant/creative area of Japanese food, its foreignness gives people license to experiment. I do think the snacks (and drinks) are more creative than you're giving credit but that could just be me coming as an occasional tourist versus living there.

China is a bad country but its food game is extremely strong and it has the best snacks for Asia. Korea's really bad at snacks, there's not much variety and literally everything is coated in sugar so it's all gross.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You are basically saying that it’s not weird because it’s been historically and culturally isolated, but that is exactly why it’s weird. It only makes sense to look at it from the outside - of course its “conservatism” makes it familiar to Japanese people. My family hasn’t been eating natto for a long time, so it’s less likely that I’m gonna slam down a wad of beanslime like I grew up on it.

I guess the bottom line is still that it’s relative to your perspective. I suppose if your definition of weird is more like “why would you do that to perfectly good food?” instead of “what is that from and does it lay eggs with it?” it makes sense.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Aug 29, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Aight it's semantics then, I see what y'all are saying so whatever. How about this then: Japanese food is way more diverse in just about every way (texture, flavours, ingredients, cooking style, etc) than British food.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bike tory posted:

Aight it's semantics then, I see what y'all are saying so whatever. How about this then: Japanese food is way more diverse in just about every way (texture, flavours, ingredients, cooking style, etc) than British food.

No argument there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm drinking cucumber beer right now and I like it a lot.

Edit: moved on to a stout made from kelp. Also good.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Aug 29, 2018

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

bike tory posted:

Absolutely.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bike tory posted:

Aight it's semantics then, I see what y'all are saying so whatever. How about this then: Japanese food is way more diverse in just about every way (texture, flavours, ingredients, cooking style, etc) than (anglo-)British food.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Wasabi and teriyaki.

teriyaki is made from shoyu and mirin

wasabi and mayo are condiments, not seasonings

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
How the hell do you people mention mirin but leave out sake?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

How the hell do you people mention mirin but leave out sake?

We did it for your sake

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

We did it for your sake

Ugh you're kirin me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Fish and chips is England's gift to the world

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've had fish & chips in a pub in Tokyo. Worst part was the beer tbh

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Fish and chips is England's gift to the world

And yet it's somehow done better in Australia imvho, I've had it over there and here in Aus and I reckon it's generally speaking (i.e. local places not high end) done way better here. Tasmania even more so

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are like 5 British or Irish pubs within 10 minutes walk of me in Tokyo. Haven't tried the fish and chips but NZ does it better

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anything tastes better when not eaten on Knifecrime Island, the despair that permeates that place extends to the food.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but I'm not bankrupted by going for an ambulance ride so it's swings & roundabouts

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bike tory posted:

There are like 5 British or Irish pubs within 10 minutes walk of me in Tokyo. Haven't tried the fish and chips but NZ does it better

I can't exactly speak for Tokyo, but in America the Irish Pub is basically just a bar for randos who want to feel like they're cultured.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't exactly speak for Tokyo, but in America the Irish Pub is basically just a bar for randos who want to feel like they're cultured.

I went to an "irish pub" in germany and basically all you have to do to call your place that is slap a bunch of shamrocks on everything and make the employees wear a lot of green.

anyway english fish & chips is the best to me because i've never found another place that does fish and chips that serves the mushy peas instead of tartar sauce or whatever you get in the US.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I work in a British pub in Japan and the Japanese customers order the fish and chips almost exclusively. Freshly made meat pies? Lamb chop dinner for 2/3 the price? Literal, immortality-granting ambrosia? 99% of the time they'll still order the fish and chips.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

anyway english fish & chips is the best to me because i've never found another place that does fish and chips that serves the mushy peas instead of tartar sauce or whatever you get in the US.

We tried serving mushy peas with the fish and chips but stopped because literally every Japanese customer sent them back untouched, and the owner didn't like the food waste.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I went to an "irish pub" in germany and basically all you have to do to call your place that is slap a bunch of shamrocks on everything and make the employees wear a lot of green.

Yeah, that's the same here

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The staff are Japanese but they serve a few Irish beers on tap and have vaguely Irish food available so it's more than just putting green on poo poo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Are mushy peas meant to be used in lieu of tartar sauce? A British pub in DC serves mushy peas in a little cup with the fish and I would just eat them straight. Was I doing it wrong?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

LadyPictureShow posted:

Are mushy peas meant to be used in lieu of tartar sauce? A British pub in DC serves mushy peas in a little cup with the fish and I would just eat them straight. Was I doing it wrong?

I don't remember, they might have served both but I hate tartar sauce so I probably just ignored it. As to how mushy peas are supposed to be applied, I don't know for sure but I just copied the first person I saw eating them when I was over there and put a bit on my fork then got a piece of fish and ate them together.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They're peas. You just eat them, there's nowt special to it.
They're summat moist so that you're not spitting feathers when you eat your Fish 'n Chips.
Though a nice cuppa does the job too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apparently there's a whole Irish Pub outfitting industry for publicans outside of the UK where you can basically select from a catalogue what level of Oirishness you want. I once went to an Irish Pub in Germany that was literally called Shamrock's and had Irish flags and maps all over the walls, and I thought it was hilarious cause we'd just come back from Ireland. Though apart from the decor it was a perfectly fine pub and a great evening.

A nearby town has two Irish Pubs. One loudly proclaims its Irishness, proudly advertises Guinness, has green neon all over it, does live music, has special events for St. Patrick's. The other is called Marktklause, doesn't make a fuss about its image, serves Murphy's, low-key has U2 videos in the background, is half empty on St. Patrick's. Guess which one feels more like a pub in Ireland.

I think Guinness is in big with the whole outfitting industry, anyway.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Good Planet Money story about the "Irish pub" export trade.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

OutsideAngel posted:

I work in a British pub in Japan

Just out of interest, which pub? British like The Tavern in Yokohama? British like The Rising Sun in Tokyo (has been Japanese-owned for years now)? British like the HUB chain (Union flags everywhere but only sells American pisswater)?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Bloop posted:

People can't choose to like things and you all should feel blessed that you tolerate or enjoy a wide range of foods. Seriously, it's awesome.

:wrong:

You can bring yourself to like any food if you try a tolerable amount every once in a while. Your brain doesn't understand how the flavor is Good but repeat exposure and/or exposure to other, similar flavors will eventually make it edible. A lot of times people don't like foods because they've never actually given it a real chance.

I'm training myself to like raw tomato now because it's honestly bullshit I don't like raw tomato. It's taking a long time but it's fine.
gently caress olives forever though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Getting Stockholm Syndrome for food you can't stand by forcing yourself to eat it anyway.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
And a song by, actually some Australians, grumbling about "Irish" pubs.

quote:

We'll raise the price o' beer a dollar,
We'll make em wear a shirt & collar,
We'll fly a bloody tri-colour,
And call it an Irish pub,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:wrong:

You can bring yourself to like any food if you try a tolerable amount every once in a while. Your brain doesn't understand how the flavor is Good but repeat exposure and/or exposure to other, similar flavors will eventually make it edible. A lot of times people don't like foods because they've never actually given it a real chance.

I'm training myself to like raw tomato now because it's honestly bullshit I don't like raw tomato. It's taking a long time but it's fine.
gently caress olives forever though.

I’ve been forcing myself to eat mushrooms for at least 18 years at this point and I probably will again because I’m stubborn and they still taste like rubbery dirt to me. I think if you’re spending literal decades on a food giving it every chance you can and it’s still awful you could probably throw in the towel