Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I read a thing. Click at your own risk.

mods pls namechange me to worm irritant tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

And it's a caterpillar, not a worm. I know. Can't I just make a hacky joke?

Of course not, this is the internet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh goddamnit I got really drunk and googled a thing and now I think I've gotten roped into making a doc of John le Carré erotic fanfic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh goddamnit I got really drunk and googled a thing and now I think I've gotten roped into making a doc of John le Carré erotic fanfic.

Uh does John le Carre have a secret erotica side gig or are people horny for an elderly brittish spy turned spy writer????

This is a name I didn't expect to hear for either of those options.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also will the doc be called Twink, Tailor, Solider, Spy or Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Perverts?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Honourable Schoolboy (who fucks)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sexpig by night posted:

Uh does John le Carre have a secret erotica side gig or are people horny for an elderly brittish spy turned spy writer????

This is a name I didn't expect to hear for either of those options.

Benedict Cumberbatch was in the film adaptation of Tinker, Tailor. Need I say more?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is Song Crimes dead?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
We’ve gotten through almost all the songs we thought would be fun to record, so it’s run its course unless we find new ones.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Which is the episode in which Adam goes off on an amazing rant, at one point talking about owning a Radioshack and being a free citizen and I think the phrase "this makes me look like I have brain problems" was in there? I think it's one of the customer feedback episodes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echopapa posted:

We’ve gotten through almost all the songs we thought would be fun to record, so it’s run its course unless we find new ones.

Thanks. I loved it, and I hope you find new ones!

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
https://thefmin.us/extra-credits-strained-expression

hey, you wanna hear us get mad about people who probably don't exist anymore?

stog loses his cool in the best way possible

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ShellGame posted:

lol he's making pained noises throughout, it's great. A great doc!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ShellGame posted:

https://thefmin.us/extra-credits-strained-expression

hey, you wanna hear us get mad about people who probably don't exist anymore?

There's so much STOG :aaa:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanna give every one of these people a wedgie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Most either grew out of it and became non-annoying atheists or got really into Kekistan, so there aren't many practicing Pastafarians left.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
i brought this up in the ballpit thread

"i find myself wondering where the line was for people who thought of it as a joke and got out. like how serious was too serious for them? because i would like to hope some of them were self-aware enough to know they shouldn't keep acting like this"

also recently i saw a car with a whole bunch of awful bumper stickers (one that just says "poop", one that's pedobear peeking up from the passenger window, a faded "i <3 equality"...) and the real capper, as we drove away from it, was a jesus fish style FSM emblem. recently means yesterday btw

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Pastafarianism is the ultimate evolution of an old hacky internet tactic that came from Usenet debates over evolution and religion in the 90s. Proto-Dawkins types thought it was the height of wit to talk about the Invisible Pink Unicorn or other similar mockeries of the idea of an omnipotent God. Pastafarians just took that and ran with it and somehow thought putting a colander on their head was a devastating satire of religious exemptions because they have absolutely no intellectual understanding of human spirituality whatsoever.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pastafarianism is the ultimate evolution of an old hacky internet tactic that came from Usenet debates over evolution and religion in the 90s. Proto-Dawkins types thought it was the height of wit to talk about the Invisible Pink Unicorn or other similar mockeries of the idea of an omnipotent God. Pastafarians just took that and ran with it and somehow thought putting a colander on their head was a devastating satire of religious exemptions because they have absolutely no intellectual understanding of human spirituality whatsoever.

Not really accurate. The Flying Spaghetti Monster was invented specifically as a way to fight creationism taught in schools. It was never meant to be a satire of Christianity or anything; it's just a ridiculous thing to highlight the ridiculousness of teaching non-science in the science classroom. It serves a similar function to Satanism. Neither is actually a religion and neither is supposed to be a direct commentary on religious beliefs the same way that the "invisible pink unicorn" rhetoric is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DontMockMySmock posted:

Not really accurate. The Flying Spaghetti Monster was invented specifically as a way to fight creationism taught in schools. It was never meant to be a satire of Christianity or anything; it's just a ridiculous thing to highlight the ridiculousness of teaching non-science in the science classroom. It serves a similar function to Satanism. Neither is actually a religion and neither is supposed to be a direct commentary on religious beliefs the same way that the "invisible pink unicorn" rhetoric is.

Post your colander. There's so much overlap between the two groups that on a Venn diagram they'd be almost indistinguishable.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I mean, the flying spaghetti monster was originally an anti-creationism education argument akin to how the invisible pink unicorn is an argument about falsifiability, similar to the 'dragon in my garage' in one of Carl Sagan's books. It's just that they were jokes that went on long beyond they were funny and people kept trying to add lore and then for some reason it went from a fairly reasonable cause (creationism in schools) to a nebulous sort of monkeycheese "haha fart religion" thing.

(Also, when talking Satanists, The Church of Satan is religious (or at least, a religious philosophy) but not actual satan-worshippers, the Satanic Temple is the non-religious political activism group, and there are other Satanists of varying religiosity.)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I feel like the timeline where unironic (or semi-ironic) Last Thursdayism got to be a thing instead is a much better place.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pastafarianism is what you get into when all the Church Of The Subgenius people you know won't watch Monty Python with you anymore

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I Before E posted:

Pastafarianism is what you get into when all the Church Of The Subgenius people you know won't watch Monty Python with you anymore
Where does Discordianism fit into this progression?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I thought very sincerely about joining the Church of the SubGenius as a stupid 14-year-old, but it cost $30 and had to be done by mail, so I just didn't bother.

In other words: THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO ME, OKAY BYE!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Where does Discordianism fit into this progression?

They're the ones who watch Mr. Show instead of Python

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Waffleman_ posted:

Relevant episode. I mean, unless it's also your thing. I guess just get consent first.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hell of a new Lou episode. It's about time we had a look at the other side of this... culture?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tonight Extra Credit recorded an Mpreg episode. Ugh.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So what do y'all think will happen for Episode 300? A "Where Are They Now" for F Plus favorites?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just another head's up: we spent what felt like 10 minutes in the middle of the mpreg episode recording session doing Donald Trump impressions because that was somehow less disturbing than what we were reading.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I Before E posted:

They're the ones who watch Mr. Show instead of Python
I promise you, discordians love Monty Python.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/thefplus/status/1036104962139463680?s=21

A loving barber fetish?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It is some goofy, goofy stuff. I posted the site on Ballpit a while back and even got partway into making a doc before a browser crash ate my mining; this is a topic that I'm very excited for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

No no, hair cutting. The people that want to bang cosmetology degree holders is another episode.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Once the hair fetishist has finished with your hair, go down the street to the hair-cutting fetishist and they'll get you sorted back out again.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I love the F Plus and knew Lou had his own thing, but I didn't realize there was a whole universe of F Plus adjacent projects. What are good podcasts to get into, and good episodes to introduce me to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

For other F Plus projects, there's Adjudicated Guess which is basically QI but the guests are dumber, and there's Irregular, which are interviews with people who are into the sorts of things you'd find on The F Plus. There's also Quite Exasperating, which is basically QI but the questions are all about poorly-written internet posts. All three are short enough that you can just start from the top.

In terms of non-ridiculist projects, I know there's the Extra Credits podcast that does the docs that F Plus don't, and there's Ephemera which is more like Radiolab-style essays about strange internet phenomena. I haven't listened to either so I can't recommend them, but I can recommend Juergen' It, which is an episode-by-episode podcast going through The Secret Life of the American Teenager, which is a teen drama so bad it frequently crosses the line into full-on absurdism. Also makes sense to start from the beginning here; the first couple episodes of the show pull some wacky poo poo.