Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
On a higher level, the design is kind of all over the place to the point that the style doesn't even synergize with itself. Abilities 1 and 3 require the use of a shield, but 2 requires the use of a two-handed weapon, or at least of a weapon two-handed.

The flavor of #5 also feels off. You're drawing both on stereotypes of vikings as violent barbarians and a more accurate understanding of early medieval combat, which isn't a terrible idea (provided you can actually use both aspects, see above), but "ducking and weaving" doesn't really fit either of those concepts. Maybe all it needs is reflavoring (theme it around shield use perhaps?), but it definitely needs that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

I recommend looking into the Hurt Locker styles, one of them (like weapon and shield) might accomplish what you’re going for without having to homebrew extra stuff.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tias posted:

Okay, once more - I've tried not to hitch it on particular weapons this time, as well as remove unnecessary filler:

Danish/Gautic Fighting:

Shieldwall(*): The easiest way to survive an early medieval clusterfuck, the shieldwall is closing ranks with other shield-users. As long as two or more members of the coterie have bought this technique and carry a shield, they may receive an extra +1 to their defense rating. Note that this does not cost an action.

Reckless Strike(**): An untrained fighter’s technique, that remains quite effective and the reason norse fighters are feared: The fearless frontal attack made with no regard for personal safety! When a character decides to All-Out Attack and possess this merit, they can perform it as a Reckless Strike. This follows the regular rules for an All-Out Attack, but provides an additional 2 levels of automatic damage if succesful, and may cause inexperienced or wavering opponents to flee if succesful.

Shield Bash(***): A common technique in this area, the shield bash is a means to relocate an opponent, as well as stun them if lucky. The character must attack with their shield instead of their weapon to use this technique, only causing the damage value of the shield. Then a resisted challenge between the users Strength+Brawl and the victims Stamina+Brawl is made. A success allows the character to move their opponent half a metre in a direction of their choosing. On an exceptional success, the victim must check versus Knockdown.

Forceful Strike (****): An experienced norse fighter can attack with their hand weapon while putting their body weight into the strike, bypassing some or all of their victims protection. When the character spends a willpower roll to gain additional dice on an attack roll, they may ignore two points of standard armor when doing damage.

Combat Master (*****): Elder geats seem to be impossible to phaze in combat, being aware of their surroundings to a degree that no amount of attackers get the jump on them! Neither during regular defense or dodge actions are their Defense or Dodge scores decreased by multiple attackers.

E: Where can the Hurt Locker stuff be found?

EE: That's the name of the supplement, gotcha

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

In case it hasn't been mentioned for those like me who ordered the V5 slip case with the three books, I got an update to their downloader thing the other day where they gave me a code to get the physical core book early. As I understand it they'll ship it to you now and the rest of the stuff sans core book in like November which is nice I guess because I hate reading rules from pdf

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm re-reading Demon and can't see anything about specifically angels cover, is there any reason why intensive investigation shouldn't break an angels cover the same way a demons breaks? I think it would be a fun thing to happen in a hunter game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I'm re-reading Demon and can't see anything about specifically angels cover, is there any reason why intensive investigation shouldn't break an angels cover the same way a demons breaks? I think it would be a fun thing to happen in a hunter game.

You could easily use it to prove they aren’t a real person but it would have no real inherent consequences for them the way it does for demons because the God Machine already knows about them and backs them. Getting burned and hunted isn’t really an issue. Likewise, the ‘realness’ of who they are isn’t a problem for the, because they are functioning Infrastructure, they can just get reinforced.

Angels have access to the resources of the Machine, which can just poo poo out covers with sufficient time to do so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It probably would, it's just less of a problem for angels because nothing happens if they lose their Cover except that their mission gets borked and they have to send Elimination Infrastructure to eat everybody who saw them, instead of actively being hunted down by God.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

A demon's Cover is unstable because it doesn't have access to standard maintenance procedures and its primary function is to conceal the demon from the God-Machine, neither of which angels have to worry about.

That said, you could easily fiat that a particular angel's maintenance Infrastructure has broken down, which has triggered a kind of "autoimmune" response that causes it's Cover to degrade like a demon's.

Or just make the antagonist a demon. They're close enough for Hunter purposes, especially if it's an Integrator of some sort.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Terrorforge posted:

A demon's Cover is unstable because it doesn't have access to standard maintenance procedures and its primary function is to conceal the demon from the God-Machine, neither of which angels have to worry about.

That said, you could easily fiat that a particular angel's maintenance Infrastructure has broken down, which has triggered a kind of "autoimmune" response that causes it's Cover to degrade like a demon's.

Or just make the antagonist a demon. They're close enough for Hunter purposes, especially if it's an Integrator of some sort.

Actually that could still work. The big end plot is about a piece of infrastructure that the players will have a chance at destroying, so the idea that an angel is around to kinda guard it made sense, but it actually being an Intergrator works as well.

The idea I wanted to go for is the players being briefed by a NPC demon "Before you investigate him, you should know that he's a monster who is hiding behind a fake identity", it amused me. But it works just as well with the target being a demon as well.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Actually that could still work. The big end plot is about a piece of infrastructure that the players will have a chance at destroying, so the idea that an angel is around to kinda guard it made sense, but it actually being an Intergrator works as well.

The idea I wanted to go for is the players being briefed by a NPC demon "Before you investigate him, you should know that he's a monster who is hiding behind a fake identity", it amused me. But it works just as well with the target being a demon as well.

Because of the way Cover degradation works, revealing bits and pieces frequently is far more dangerous to a Cover than revealing the whole truth at once, so straight telling them "he's definitely a monster" would only serve to inoculate the enemy against investigation.

Instead, the maximally dickish thing to do is to pretend you don't know what's lurking behind the mask and just say "idk man there's something off about that guy, you should definitely look into it" and then feed them the info bit by bit.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Would there be any interest in a Geist PBP game using the draft rules from the KS? I'm not sure how many people ended up backing it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’d be up for trying, but it’s worth noting that navigating a doc before page references are plugged in can make it bumpy

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’d be up for trying, but it’s worth noting that navigating a doc before page references are plugged in can make it bumpy

Yeah, I was considering just waiting for the release. The search function on the PDF does mitigate the lack of page references somewhat as well

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

neaden posted:

Would there be any interest in a Geist PBP game using the draft rules from the KS? I'm not sure how many people ended up backing it.

I would be up for it

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I know it's been mentioned in the thread once already, but Wellington Paranormal, the spinoff TV show featuring the police from What We Do In The Shadows, is great. I've only watched the first three episodes (out of six) but the neat thing is that the horror elements are almost always played straight and it's the characters themselves that are comedic, so it's almost like watching two humorous PCs get into a mortal police campaign in the CofD.

Also a neat kind of look at the sort of view of "everyone kinda has a hint that the supernatural exists but doesn't mention stuff to anyone else".

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I know it's been mentioned in the thread once already, but Wellington Paranormal, the spinoff TV show featuring the police from What We Do In The Shadows, is great. I've only watched the first three episodes (out of six) but the neat thing is that the horror elements are almost always played straight and it's the characters themselves that are comedic, so it's almost like watching two humorous PCs get into a mortal police campaign in the CofD.

Also a neat kind of look at the sort of view of "everyone kinda has a hint that the supernatural exists but doesn't mention stuff to anyone else".

Is there a legal way to watch it if you can't get to New Zealand?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

neaden posted:

Totally down for it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Terrorforge posted:

Yeah, the crucial thing to remember is that for the purposes of Demon "Cover" very much relates to how well someone is hidden from the God-Machine and isn't at all a measure of how much other human beings trust that you are who you say you are. You can be a really blatant con artist or spy that all the human beings around you see through, and so long as the underlying idea of your Cover is "Perfectly normal human being who is trying to dupe people but is bad at it" that's not really a ding on your game mechanical Cover.

If human beings are sussing that you're some form of supernatural entity then that's more of a ding to your Cover - though I'd be inclined to rule that if you'd done a good job of pretending to be a type of supernatural entity that the God-Machine is aware of you're doing better. (The "known unknowns" are Part Of The Plan - it's the "unknown unknowns" that the God-Machine gets grumpy about.)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Warthur posted:

If human beings are sussing that you're some form of supernatural entity then that's more of a ding to your Cover - though I'd be inclined to rule that if you'd done a good job of pretending to be a type of supernatural entity that the God-Machine is aware of you're doing better. (The "known unknowns" are Part Of The Plan - it's the "unknown unknowns" that the God-Machine gets grumpy about.)

The demon I played used a spirit cover via that one exploit to very good effect for this reason. Amazing what sorts of overt supernatural nonsense you can get away with when you're pretending to be a spirit of conflict. Plus, as a ranking spirit of such, it's pretty easy to whip up a bunch of other related spirits into a fighting mood and basically have yourself a waaugh.

Edit: furthermore, Show of Power lets you make the act look a lot more authentic. I also used to use it to imitate mage magic a lot. This resulted in our enemies blaming local mages for the longest time since there was tracable wizard magic and a spirit that was acting a lot like if they were bound to a specific task.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 4, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Barbed Tongues posted:

Is there a legal way to watch it if you can't get to New Zealand?

SBS On Demand has it in Australia, I don't know if they IP block.
e: looks like they do.

You can also see if you can proxy your way into https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/wellington-paranormal .

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 6, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Posting here since the Bloodlines thread is archived - Wadjet Eye Games (of many excellent Lucasarts adventure throwbacks fame) and one of the Failbetter guys (of Sunless Sea / Fallen London / that little pre-Inquisition Dragon Age webgame) are kickstarting a text-heavy CYOA RPG explicitly pitched as a spiritual descendant of Bloodlines. Check it out - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 6, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Unavowed and Technobabylon bought enough goodwill to back it. More than, actually. Looking forward to it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I thought that thread would outlive the forums. End of an era.

That does looks interesting, specially with Wadjet Eye doing the heavy lifting.

My favorite part of the preview is that the masquerade dropping doesn't even warrant front-page news. Must be set in 2016.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZearothK posted:

I thought that thread would outlive the forums. End of an era.

That does looks interesting, specially with Wadjet Eye doing the heavy lifting.

My favorite part of the preview is that the masquerade dropping doesn't even warrant front-page news. Must be set in 2016.
Or 2018, remember that cursed sarcophagus?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Remember it? Buddy, I'm one of the Setites they remade into Nagaraja!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Setites are one of these clans I hated back in the day but at some point I "got" them and now I love them and want to play one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbckvO7VYxk

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
When it came to Masquerade I always wanted to like it but the clans were so unappealing to me. A Ventrue of the Camarilla? Might as well be a US Senator. The Setites and Baali (though I quickly surmised that playing a Baali was likely forbidden and a Setite frowned upon) seemed to throw all the stuff I didn't like into the bin, though, and have kept some of my interest anchored there. Here's hoping they get the Sabbat and extra folks playable in V5.

nofather fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 7, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Setites are one of these clans I hated back in the day but at some point I "got" them and now I love them and want to play one.

The Revised book helped them a lot for my money.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Revised Setites and Assamites are both massive improvements.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Setites are the best, and their novels are also the best. No joke, the two Setite novels are like, genuinely good reads stand-alone even working the limits imposed by being part of their broader narrative spans (add in the two Ravnos novels and boom, gold, and then ignore the rest). I think they're probably the single best pieces of fiction written in the entire run of the oWoD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

The Revised Setites and Assamites are both massive improvements.

Yeah, they're seriously good books and give plenty of cool hooks for players and storytellers.

Loomer posted:

Setites are the best, and their novels are also the best. No joke, the two Setite novels are like, genuinely good reads stand-alone even working the limits imposed by being part of their broader narrative spans (add in the two Ravnos novels and boom, gold, and then ignore the rest). I think they're probably the single best pieces of fiction written in the entire run of the oWoD.

The Demon trilogy by Greg Stolze are amazing and I remember the Mummy trilogy being alright if kind of pointless.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The Mummy Trilogy is alright, but not great. The Demon ones are great, as are a couple of the Wraith ones, but nothing beats out the Setite ones for my money. Victorian Age Vampire's trilogy was also quite good.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Setites and the Baali are among those vampire Clans I feel perhaps do better as Sects. The way they're framed in the core books always made me think of them more as vampire-religions than vampire-subspecies. Especially the Baali, who are already big on recruiting other vampires.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

The Setites and the Baali are among those vampire Clans I feel perhaps do better as Sects. The way they're framed in the core books always made me think of them more as vampire-religions than vampire-subspecies. Especially the Baali, who are already big on recruiting other vampires.

Yeah I know they did that with the Setites in v20, I'm not sure where anything stands in V5, and the Baali seem to have gone away (or at least been so diminished as to be a very niche threat) in Modern Nights and stand as an enemy in the Dark Ages.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I think I'd probably go ahead and have the Setites and Assamites both be akin to the Laibon, if I were charged with major reboots - a pair of sects both consisting of a bunch of clans/bloodlines (with real blurry lines between which belongs to which at times) mistakenly lumped into being A Clan as a whole by the cainites of Europe, leading to some great confusion later on. It's even easily explained as to how ancient vampires who should know better make the mistake by stating that it's a conscious deception by methuselae and elders who wanted to consolidate power bases without interference. So you might have your old Levantine Gangrel sitting among the Banu Haqim, but also a subbranch of them from Ethiopia who wind up affiliating with the Setite sect, and in the mix a pair of clans deriving from the original ones.

I've also always been rather fond of the idea that the Ravnos and Gangrel aren't quite clans either, but a set of clans spawned by a pair of 2nd generation progenitors whose progeny all inherited the core discipline of each respectively. They're the clans that seem to diversify most readily and bud off into bloodlines. At that point they function almost as quasi-sects themselves, broad political labels encompassing clans of shared descent but distinct capacity and traditions, all of whom are mistaken by outsiders as a monolith because of their similarities.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

I've also always been rather fond of the idea that the Ravnos and Gangrel aren't quite clans either, but a set of clans spawned by a pair of 2nd generation progenitors whose progeny all inherited the core discipline of each respectively. They're the clans that seem to diversify most readily and bud off into bloodlines. At that point they function almost as quasi-sects themselves, broad political labels encompassing clans of shared descent but distinct capacity and traditions, all of whom are mistaken by outsiders as a monolith because of their similarities.
What I read between the lines in the clan books was that Malkav probably diablerized one of the three 2nd-gens before the other antes ripped him asunder, and Saulot probably did also. It would make sense if Set did too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Kathleen Ryan is good civilization. I can't recall if she worked on actual supplements much, but I'd be interested to see which ones she did.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

Kathleen Ryan is good civilization. I can't recall if she worked on actual supplements much, but I'd be interested to see which ones she did.

She did Book of the Worlds and Euthanatos 1E, but those were mostly Brucato's work. Also has credits on Book of Madness's marauders section, Book of Shadows, Wraith, VtDA, Book of Mirrors and Book of Crafts, and Hengeyokai. Apparently she was the one behind the Amanda storyline, so I guess she had quite an influence over 1st and 2nd edition mage

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

She did Book of the Worlds and Euthanatos 1E, but those were mostly Brucato's work. Also has credits on Book of Madness's marauders section, Book of Shadows, Wraith, VtDA, Book of Mirrors and Book of Crafts, and Hengeyokai. Apparently she was the one behind the Amanda storyline, so I guess she had quite an influence over 1st and 2nd edition mage

Oh, right. She wrote the Kitsune breedbook stuff in the back half of Hengeyokai. It was a fun read, even if I still don't know if I'd ever play one. Always wondered if they collected the Amanda stuff anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
How would you model a DnD-Style Warlock in Chronicles? Someone with a Faustian bargain, a pact with an eldritch Old God, or an empowered Cultist? Vanilla mortal who's been handed the keys to a lot of magical juju by a sponsor or patron?