Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Can I say that enigma89's kind of posting is something I really miss making fun of people for from the early days of the poker forum on SA (RIP)

Dude, you're not good enough to be in mid gold, that's why you aren't advancing.

The game actually starts giving you LP really fast if you improve enough to start winning more. For example, you won't have someone doing boosting services look at your account and go "sorry I have to charge you double for this, you have 1000 games in silver so it will take twice as long" because it's going to start giving them more LP per match incredibly quickly

the problem is you are not that good at the game

Also, consider that LITERALLY EVERYONE is a worse player than the highest rank they ever achieve in the game, if they played a significant number of games. This is statistically obvious. You will oscillate around your true MMR due to random chance and the highest MMR you ever hit will be significantly above your true MMR if you played enough games.

For example, the highiest I ever got was promos to plat 2, I think I'm probably like a plat 4-5 player at best because of that.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
also can I get in on this MMR bet too

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s been a while since I played LoL, but I’m pretty sure that having vision meant I died less to ganks. Which was nice, because dying was really holding me back.

https://pasteboard.co/HBrdBix.jpg
nahh, why bother? Dying isn't slowing him down.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah I was gonna say also way too many deaths per game on the ol OP

I had like 5 and people were still yelling at me about dying too much

I think you need to get it down to like 4 for most roles, right?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, I wish I had the time to pump out 1000 games a season. I dont even know if I can really make it to 100 by November.

I topped out at Silver as my highest rank over the years. Treat this game like going to the Y for a pickup game of basketball.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

I am not sure if that is really true. I went on a massive win streak and my MMR was up to gold 3 on op.gg. Someone here posted another mmr website and it said my MMR was only S2.

The reaction in the thread was that my account had a lot of baggage from having nearly 1k games in silver.

So my posts now have been in reaction to that. I have almost climbed (3 lp) to g4 with this rubber band. My argument is that if I didn't have these rubber bands I would climb more. This is my very first season of League so I had to learn the game the entire time in silver (I bought xp boosters to hit lvl 30 faster).

Based on the information that my account is held back by so many games in silver, my thoughts are that it is better to make a whole new account and start fresh. I will hit gold much faster than last time (I know the game now) and I will not have this rubber band on my account.

Either I am right or the information that I got about my account being weighed down from so many silver games is wrong.

Also this posting is consuming me rn so I am going to post when I get out of work because this is distracting me too much.

dog maybe you're just bad at the game ever think about that

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also, consider that LITERALLY EVERYONE is a worse player than the highest rank they ever achieve in the game, if they played a significant number of games. This is statistically obvious. You will oscillate around your true MMR due to random chance and the highest MMR you ever hit will be significantly above your true MMR if you played enough games.

Can I just use this as a rare opportunity to brag about the time my team was #1 with a 30 win streak after being #1.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 29, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, you're still right in that I'm considerably, significantly worse than the highest rank I ever held in game.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Enigma89 posted:

I am not sure if that is really true. I went on a massive win streak and my MMR was up to gold 3 on op.gg. Someone here posted another mmr website and it said my MMR was only S2.

An alternative is look at who you're playing with. Most of the other players in your games are mid-silver. It's not that you played a bunch of games in silver, it's that you're basically still playing games in silver.

It wouldn't make sense for you to gain as much lp as you lose in Gold 5 playing against people in Silver 3. If you were actually playing at a Gold 4/5 level, these games should be easy for you and you would get a higher win rate and climb. I think what actually happened is due to variance you happened to string enough wins together to get gold five, and now are still in it because it's reluctant to demote.

If you're being rubber banded it's the other way, being kept out of demotion by the system when you're actually playing at a lower level. It does suck not to see your wins/losses reflected in points or leagues, but you're definitely not being held back by mmr or whatever, you're being held back by the fact that you can't reliably beat silver players.

If you don't want to work on improving, I would try just playing some flex queue. You get a fresh mmr, so your progress will hopefully be better reflected in your league. It's easier than a new account!

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I made a smurf and I got my rear end kicked :(

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

uguu posted:

I made a smurf and I got my rear end kicked :(

Me too haha

Well not kicked but like just for fun I bought a new account, (while still breaking even in platinum), got placed in silver 2, and expected to just whomp people, but actually didn't at all! People are pretty decent at laning now, way way way lightyears better than what silver was 5 years ago. They are still really bad at decision making and macro though, and you will be told to "group" a lot while you are trying to farm a huge side wave down in silver.

I wasn't playing like my best champs but I mean like long ago people would just suicide into you over and over in silver, they were just awful. They lane kinda ok now even in the lower ranks.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I'm bad at this game, probably worse than enigma. I don't play ranked because I like to hold on to this secret fantasy that I'm secretly better than it looks. I can't imagine playing 1000 games to prove I'm not.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Enigma89 posted:

The reaction in the thread was that my account had a lot of baggage from having nearly 1k games in silver.

Wtf where did anyone else say that other than yourself?

I just don't get coming in to complain about how unfair the game is to them then refusing to take the advice from other players who have played longer then you (and a lot are a higher rank then you).

I've been playing for years, often the only person on my team buying control wards, have less than 1000 games played and have never been higher then silver 3. And it's ok! Sometimes I think I should be higher but then I realize that it doesn't loving matter.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
The last time I tried to get a new account to level 30 I stalled out around level 25 when my normal draft queue times were 10+ minutes long and were consistently against p1-d3 players

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

my girlfriend clicks on her ward icon to place wards instead of pressing 4, and she also doesn't know how to use ignite so she will instead run double heal in botlane when she get's put on support.

she also still has no idea what a third of the champions in the game are capable of

she's gold 3 with 200 games played this season.

step up enigma

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I was actually expecting the other guy to melt down

If you win a game and lose a game and lose lp overall your current rating is too high and until you win more you won’t change that

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Enigma89 posted:

I am going to start a fresh account and just grind fresh I think. The entire time I have been gold I have not been able to gain and lose an equal amount of LP per game. I have basically have had my feet shackled and expected to climb. It sucks losing a ton of lp and barely gaining any.

After reading the comments here. It seems like if I didn't have 1k games in silver then the game wouldn't be trying to push me back to silver. How many games would I need to win to give the game confidence in my gold ranking?

It's that or I am totally misunderstanding the situation.

My dude, the only comments that point to that conclusion are your own posts and posts that happen to quote your text. I dont understand this ability to reshape reality.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The alternative would mean accepting responsibility.

I'm glad I encounter people like enigma, it gives me perspective on my own stubbornness ha.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

duck trucker posted:

Wtf where did anyone else say that other than yourself?

I just don't get coming in to complain about how unfair the game is to them then refusing to take the advice from other players who have played longer then you (and a lot are a higher rank then you).

I've been playing for years, often the only person on my team buying control wards, have less than 1000 games played and have never been higher then silver 3. And it's ok! Sometimes I think I should be higher but then I realize that it doesn't loving matter.

This was mentioned the last time I spoke about having g3 MMR via op gg and being corrected that it was much lower due to an alternative source. One of the reasons in the replies was that my immense amount of games in silver was probably the reason why my MMR was not moving much. Unfortunately it's not super easy to find on what page that was on so I can't reference it.

It turns out from the massive amount of replies that the information in that original reply was wrong so I was basing my tilt on incorrect information.

I apologize for my precious posts and will start playing again to see if I can hit g3. I hope by the time I hit g4 that the lp gain/loss starts to equalize because playing for a potentially big loss vs a small gain is a bit stressful and makes losses really sting.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

KirbyKhan posted:

My dude, the only comments that point to that conclusion are your own posts and posts that happen to quote your text. I dont understand this ability to reshape reality.

I will fish out the posts when I get home. I am on mobile atm.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Yet again, you are looking at this wrong. You are playing the game to rank up, when what you need to be doing is playing the game to improve at the game.

Doing the first one is going to tilt you every time you lose.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

This was mentioned the last time I spoke about having g3 MMR via op gg and being corrected that it was much lower due to an alternative source. One of the reasons in the replies was that my immense amount of games in silver was probably the reason why my MMR was not moving much. Unfortunately it's not super easy to find on what page that was on so I can't reference it.

It turns out from the massive amount of replies that the information in that original reply was wrong so I was basing my tilt on incorrect information.

I apologize for my precious posts and will start playing again to see if I can hit g3. I hope by the time I hit g4 that the lp gain/loss starts to equalize because playing for a potentially big loss vs a small gain is a bit stressful and makes losses really sting.

You are losing more lp than you are gaining because you are g5 and consistently losing to teams that are entirely mid-silver

The game is sending you back to s2-s3 where you belong at your current level of play

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think the problem is the 1k silver games are relevant, just not in the way you think. They tell us, as observers, that the system is working and putting you right where you belong. They also contribute to the system’s confidence rating for your MMR, if that guy with the effort post can be trusted. But confidence is pretty volatile so a streak can lower confidence pretty rapidly (dunno how rapidly), so you can streak and start climbing if you get good. That’s where the 1k games come back in and tell us observers that it ain’t gonna happen bro.

I say this as a very loving bronze player who just wants to mash A and hit mans.

Speaking of which, if I think skills are lame and only want to attack and never press QWE or R, what’s the best champ to play? Caitlyn?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Actually the point of the game is to have fun. No one here is going to make it to the pro leagues, no one is going to make money from this.

In my last ranked match, all of our lanes were doing poorly, including mine (was a really hard matchup). I kept focus tho, everyone started playing together, my ADC turned out to be a pretty drat good ezreal. We started winning team fights, got a baron.

Then 5 minutes later our gragas did a loving stupid engage which lost us the game. But god drat, that game was really close and it was super fun. I lost some LP, whatever, it was a hell of a match.

It does suck when you've got some 0/5/0 yasuo on your team. Seems like they're everywhere some days. But I realized that you don't tend to notice as much when they're on the enemy team, you get the win and just assume its cos you played well. Similarly you tend to not notice when some yi savant carries you to victory without saying a word.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Arcturas posted:

Speaking of which, if I think skills are lame and only want to attack and never press QWE or R, what’s the best champ to play? Caitlyn?

Teemo maybe. Rely on poison and poison only.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

I think the problem is the 1k silver games are relevant, just not in the way you think. They tell us, as observers, that the system is working and putting you right where you belong. They also contribute to the system’s confidence rating for your MMR, if that guy with the effort post can be trusted. But confidence is pretty volatile so a streak can lower confidence pretty rapidly (dunno how rapidly), so you can streak and start climbing if you get good. That’s where the 1k games come back in and tell us observers that it ain’t gonna happen bro.

I say this as a very loving bronze player who just wants to mash A and hit mans.

Old caitlyn maybe sure, new Caitlyn's damage is too gated behind headshots from traps/net to not use her skills, especially in lane

Also a ton of her early damage is in her Q too so yeah you can't really just click mans with her

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

Old caitlyn maybe sure, new Caitlyn's damage is too gated behind headshots from traps/net to not use her skills, especially in lane

Also a ton of her early damage is in her Q too so yeah you can't really just click mans with her

Fuuuuuck. I am so bad at landing her traps and basically just drop them in the bush and at the jungler’s gank path so I can run away. Same for the net. Now I have to aim them? And layer them with my supports CC?

How about Jinx? Can I just play her and swap between my two types of A all day?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Yes (not mine)

https://plays.tv/video/5a7b6774c50693eb44/gods-in-her-heaven

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Enigma I will duo with you and boost you until get to gold 5/4/3/whatever

Seriously this is a real offer

But you have to be prepared for me to tell you what you’ve done wrong every game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Fuuuuuck. I am so bad at landing her traps and basically just drop them in the bush and at the jungler’s gank path so I can run away. Same for the net. Now I have to aim them? And layer them with my supports CC?

Yeah Jinx is probably a good one actually, you should prob try to hit chompers during fights but that's about it

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jinx has a stance, two skillshots, and a delayed root. Stick to Cait hah

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Teikanmi posted:

Enigma I will duo with you and boost you until get to gold 5/4/3/whatever

Seriously this is a real offer

But you have to be prepared for me to tell you what you’ve done wrong every game

That is fine by me. Enigma89 is my summoner. I get on by 630 7pm est.

Also I consider myself a fairly normal person and not a sperg so I am fairly fun to play with on voice coms. Maybe Milkman can vouch.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Arcturas posted:

Ashe isn't bad either.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

gvibes posted:

Ashe isn't bad either.

Her stun feels so good when you hit it from downtown.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay I’ll add you, do you think you’ll be around weekends, mid day?

is Saturday/Sunday 11AM ish?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

lmao

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Teikanmi posted:

Okay I’ll add you, do you think you’ll be around weekends, mid day?

is Saturday/Sunday 11AM ish?

More morning but yes should be okay.

I am also this entire Friday too.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I have played a bunch of both Jinx and old Ashe and honestly would only ever R from downtown to steal kills (actually to miss by half a screen and lol while telling my team I tried to help). New ashe is confusing because I have to learn new things and my champion knowledge is stuck in season 3 so gently caress new people like Lucian.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Any tips for new nunu? Jungling is the last of the roles I haven't done very much at all and I want to learn to play it and this rework seems quite fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I have played a bunch of both Jinx and old Ashe and honestly would only ever R from downtown to steal kills (actually to miss by half a screen and lol while telling my team I tried to help). New ashe is confusing because I have to learn new things and my champion knowledge is stuck in season 3 so gently caress new people like Lucian.

BROTHER!!!!!

I play tryndamere for this exact reason. May he never change.