Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Word from Famitsu is that the expensive Darius Switch collection is in M2's hands, so at least the ports/emulation won't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Serious question: how do I beat a shmup game without needing to use 15 continues?

I picked up Blue Revolver, Mushihimesama, and Ikaruga a while ago (and just got DoDonPachi Resurrection on Steam sale), and I like playing them a lot. There was a point where I was playing Mushihimesama and a boss's bullet pattern created this really intricate maze I had to navigate when it clicked for me and I was like "this is like laser death surfing, this is awesome."

Is the preferred method for getting good at bullet hell games to just die a thousand deaths to whatever hyper mode the game offers, or is the normal route to getting better to play through the beginner's difficulty mode until it gets to be too easy?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

l don't know what the "preferred" way is but as far as i, also a babby, am concerned, they put novice modes in for a reason

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cephas posted:

Serious question: how do I beat a shmup game without needing to use 15 continues?

I picked up Blue Revolver, Mushihimesama, and Ikaruga a while ago (and just got DoDonPachi Resurrection on Steam sale), and I like playing them a lot. There was a point where I was playing Mushihimesama and a boss's bullet pattern created this really intricate maze I had to navigate when it clicked for me and I was like "this is like laser death surfing, this is awesome."

Is the preferred method for getting good at bullet hell games to just die a thousand deaths to whatever hyper mode the game offers, or is the normal route to getting better to play through the beginner's difficulty mode until it gets to be too easy?

First, you need to download and read this https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=34497

....okay, I don't know how much of that guide is actually effective, but it sure is a hoot to read.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

TetsuoTW posted:

l don't know what the "preferred" way is but as far as i, also a babby, am concerned, they put novice modes in for a reason

Yeah, I'm not necessarily good enough at Mushihimesama to breeze through novice mode or anything like that. But there's a certain type of joy that comes from how ramped up everything is on maniac mode that the novice difficulty doesn't capture.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Kins posted:

Word from Famitsu is that the expensive Darius Switch collection is in M2's hands, so at least the ports/emulation won't suck.

I'm gonna take this as a good chance that the Darius stuff will come west. I don't care if it's digital only, I really would like to get it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cephas posted:

Yeah, I'm not necessarily good enough at Mushihimesama to breeze through novice mode or anything like that. But there's a certain type of joy that comes from how ramped up everything is on maniac mode that the novice difficulty doesn't capture.

True. I mean ultimately the real answer is just play what you enjoy most and you'll probably eventually get good, and even if you don't at least you'll have fun.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cephas posted:

Try Novice Ultra.

Also that shmupsforum link basically boils down to: "watch replays, do what they do". I never found it helpful.

Just play the game a lot, one credit at a time. Never continue. You'll find yourself getting farther eventually. Also, when there's a lot of bullets, you want to be watching where they're all headed, but specifically try to train yourself to focus on gaps between them instead of the bullets themselves, if that makes sense.

Use your bombs, especially in Mushi because there is absolutely no scoring penalty for doing so. Figure out where your trouble spots are and bomb to get past them. Dying with bombs in stock is a huge waste. You can work on a no-bomb run once you've 1CCed it normally.

e: hopefully you have a good control method. either a good quality arcade stick or a controller with a suitable d-pad (I recommend the XB1 pad for that) is usually best. keyboard is ok but can be really tricky if you're not used to it. never use analog sticks for shmups, they will not provide the precision that you need.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 4, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ofecks posted:

e: hopefully you have a good control method. either a good quality arcade stick or a controller with a suitable d-pad (I recommend the XB1 pad for that). don't use analog sticks or the keyboard (but if you can make it work with those, hats off to you)

Not sure why I keep reading stuff like that. A good mechanical keyboard is very good for arcade games. It's basically the same thing as a hitbox:

but with the hands swapped. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do with this is a 360 or a 720 on the stick but that's only needed for specific characters in fighting games (like Zangief). Shmups never require motions like that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You can do 360s on a hitbox. It's very easy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Keyboard is ok if you're used to it I think. The Western WR of DDP was done in MAME using a KB, actually. Revised my statement.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 4, 2018

Reive
May 21, 2009

I've finally got around to setting up my stick for shmups, gotta say love the feel of it after using controllers for all the doujin shmups.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Cephas posted:

Dont hoard your bombs, learn the hitbox on your ship, use stage select/ save states to practice parts u find difficult, watch replays of 1ccs on youtube. For most shumps bullethell or otherwise you should also try to stay in the middle /top of the scteen as much as possible. It feels safer to hang out at the bottom but a lot of games are designed to force you to the bottom to limit your movement which makes u die faster. Those are my general tips.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Try Novice Ultra.

Also that shmupsforum link basically boils down to: "watch replays, do what they do". I never found it helpful.

Just play the game a lot, one credit at a time. Never continue. You'll find yourself getting farther eventually. Also, when there's a lot of bullets, you want to be watching where they're all headed, but specifically try to train yourself to focus on gaps between them instead of the bullets themselves, if that makes sense.

Use your bombs, especially in Mushi because there is absolutely no scoring penalty for doing so. Figure out where your trouble spots are and bomb to get past them. Dying with bombs in stock is a huge waste. You can work on a no-bomb run once you've 1CCed it normally.

e: hopefully you have a good control method. either a good quality arcade stick or a controller with a suitable d-pad (I recommend the XB1 pad for that) is usually best. keyboard is ok but can be really tricky if you're not used to it. never use analog sticks for shmups, they will not provide the precision that you need.

i dont credit feed much cuz i find all my focus goes as soon as that first game over pops up but if you're being stonewalled on a particular part and you game over before getting there on a run might as well credit feed and get some practice there. Or just do it cuz you feel like playing a bit more before doing level 1 for the hundredth time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

For most shumps bullethell or otherwise you should also try to stay in the middle /top of the scteen as much as possible. It feels safer to hang out at the bottom but a lot of games are designed to force you to the bottom to limit your movement which makes u die faster. Those are my general tips.
This is crucial. It feels like youre getting more time, but you're losing an entire direction of movement. Many patterns want you to move backwards while it opens up, then move through the bullets.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Arcsys has announced they're bundling 4 of the Psikyo Switch eShop titles as "Psikyo Collection Vol. 1":

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/psikyo-collection-vol-1-announced-for-switch

So far it's only been announced for release in Korea.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Shigatake, an artist for Vanillaware released the first stage of a shooter he is working on:

https://twitter.com/shigatake/status/1021334220931600384

Works fine on macOS using Wine if you're into that. Pretty fun, I'll be keeping it on my radar.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cephas posted:

Once you understand the mechanical stuff (if bullet canceling is possible, for example) practice is pretty much the only way yeah. The home versions may let you pick a level to play to make this easier.

Remember that bombs are basically extra lives and should never be used to deal damage. If there's a way to get more bombs prioritize that over anything else. You can play for score later if you want.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Not familiar with the series, but a new Radirgy game, Radirgy S, just got announced to release in late fall of this year. No system was announced but based on the series naming convention it's likely coming to the Switch.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/04/radirgy-s-announced-and-is-coming-to-a-platform-starting-with-an-s/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ketsui PS4 has been dated for November 29. The physical release will be ¥6,800 and will include a 48 page booklet and DLC codes for an arranged soundtrack by Virt (Shantae, Shovel Knight etc.) and the 2007 Cave Matsuri version of the game. The digital release will be ¥3,700 and the two DLCs will be ¥800 each.

Still no word on a western release, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Deathtiny", ok.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Deathtiny", ok.

They're not even native english speakers and it's still better than Deathinitive.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Kins posted:

Ketsui PS4 has been dated for November 29. The physical release will be ¥6,800 and will include a 48 page booklet and DLC codes for an arranged soundtrack by Virt (Shantae, Shovel Knight etc.) and the 2007 Cave Matsuri version of the game. The digital release will be ¥3,700 and the two DLCs will be ¥800 each.

Prepared to chop off pinkies and thumbs on both hands for a PC release with good practice mode M2 please

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Prepared to chop off pinkies and thumbs on both hands for a PC release with good practice mode M2 please

I think if I fell into hordes of money I would become M2's prime investor. They seem like a team that has been working so hard for so long but they've never gotten a big break, partly because of what types of games they work on.

I guess that's kinda what the exa-Arcadia guy is doing, but that just all seems incredibly misguided and doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
they'll get my 90-120 bux if they put their ports on a platform i own

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

An updated version of Game Tengoku Cruisin' Mix dubbed Game Tengoku Cruisin' Mix Special is coming out on PS4 November 29 in Japan.

Only thing announced so far is some collaboration with Tatsujin by Toaplan.

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/the-game-paradise-cruisinmix-special-announced-for-ps4

Gematsu edited their story with a translation of what's new plus a description of what's in the obligatory deluxe edition.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 29, 2018

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The Kins posted:

As poo poo

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Psyvariar Delta is now available on Switch on the Japanese eshop, likely for PS4 at midday Japan time. It's Psyvariar but with the M2 gadget-style extra readouts around the side of the screen. If you played the PS2 port of Medium Unit and Revision you know what you're getting. There's a DLC for another character from a completely different game (which comes with its own soundtrack) but I haven't tried that yet. The use of HD rumble for the buzz mechanic is nice, to the point where I wish I could turn off all the other vibration in it.

The control response seems good so far, which hasn't been something you could rely on with some Switch shooters (Sisters Royale and Strikers 1945 felt a little bit behind the action to me) so at least so far I haven't spotted anything that might make the Switch version a bad choice.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 29, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Any plans for a USA release?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
You can choose from eight languages when you start it for the first time so surely it must be getting an international release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ineffiable posted:

Any plans for a USA release?

Yeah, it'll be out at the end of September: https://readytodispatch.com/

The Kins posted:

Coming back to this, the retail version has the DLC on the disc, it's not codes.

There'll also be other arrange content that hasn't been announced yet, I'm guessing it's the same old poo poo as their other releases (an easy arrange and a remix arrange, probably an original arrange soundtrack).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
M2 did an interview covering a bunch of stuff, Japanese if you can read it:

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/180830

English "highlights", not sure how much they leave out (...or how accurately it was translated) but they cover a lot so a good summary at least:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/31/m2-discusses-most-highly-requested-ports-why-they-havent-released-on-steam-and-more/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
2009's R-Type Dimensions is getting Switch and Steam ports this winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBYPK6IzWlg

The game includes R-Type 1 and 2, with the ability to switch between the original and weird-looking 3D graphics on the fly.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The Kins posted:

2009's R-Type Dimensions is getting Switch and Steam ports this winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBYPK6IzWlg

The game includes R-Type 1 and 2, with the ability to switch between the original and weird-looking 3D graphics on the fly.

The 3D version looks iffy, though maybe it works better when you play it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Hell yeah.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Does anyone know the name of the shmup that takes you through the era of video game shooters as you finish levels? Meaning, you start with something very space invaders like, then go on to Galga style, then 8-bitish, 16, etc. etc. on to modern bullet hell stuff? It was a few years back now on PC I think. I wonder if anyone else has done that since or it was just the one. I can't remember it's name but a friend and I got to talking about The Messenger and it's graphical era shift and it reminded me of this.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Genetos

Man, it's a decade old now

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Thank you! Yeah, I thought it was dated but drat. Getting old. The years are just slipping away from my once crisp gaming memory.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Demtor posted:

Thank you! Yeah, I thought it was dated but drat. Getting old. The years are just slipping away from my once crisp gaming memory.

The game has a chance to crash due to sound issues. To fix this reduce the volume in the game options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Steel Empire popped up on steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/563260/Steel_Empire/

Two years after it got greenlit