Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do they still do those multi-pack features with tangentially-related movies? I'm fairly sure I remember seeing one which was Daredevil, Elektra and, for some reason, the second Charlie's Angels movie in a supermarket once.

They're rebooting Charlie's Angels with Kristen Stewart and some others. I suspect they'll take it too seriously and try to make it really dark and dramatic, generally Very Serious. The tone of the McG films is what I think they should be aiming for with Charlie's Angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're rebooting Charlie's Angels with Kristen Stewart and some others. I suspect they'll take it too seriously and try to make it really dark and dramatic, generally Very Serious. The tone of the McG films is what I think they should be aiming for with Charlie's Angels.

Given the people behind it (Elizabeth Banks as director and her and her husband who produced all the Pitch Perfect films producing) dark, dramatic and serious seems pretty unlikely. Probably more likely to go the other way.

On a tangential (via Charlie's Angels and Cameron Diaz) note I watched Knight and Day last night for some reason. It's not particular good, but has a couple of nice set pieces and Cruise is clearly having fun (and as a result is fun to watch) in it. The one thing that really stood out was just how "fake" some of the traditional Tom Cruise motorbikes and running action felt. That's probably almost entirely due to having recently watched a few Mission Impossibles recently.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 26, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gravy Jones posted:

On a tangential (via Charlie's Angels and Cameron Diaz) note I watched Knight and Day last night for some reason. It's not particular good, but has a couple of nice set pieces and Cruise is clearly having fun (and as a result is fun to watch) in it. T

This is actually one of the two Tom Cruise movies I've seen in the cinema (and the other was Fallout a few weeks ago) and I remember feeling like Cruise was having fun with it but only in the first half of the movie. When he's going around being manic and holding up pie shops and bellowing, "PIES FOR EVERYONE!" that's fine, but I think about half to two thirds of the way through he loses interest, the action switches to generic spy movie and it lurches a bit.

The first half is like a good version of Bird On a Wire and the second half is like Bird On a Wire.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

Just got back from Mile 22 and I gotta say I'm not really getting the hate for this movie, it was uhhhhh pretty awesome?

Far from being a demerit I found the editing on this movie to be a fantastic development on Berg's style. It reminded me of Transformers: The Last Knight's action sequence as nightmare style. Also, Wahlberg's character is hilarious. I lost it at the end of basically every time he chews out his squaddies.

e: I really like the high concept of Mark Wahlberg IS Ben Affleck's character from The Accountant VERSUS the martial arts movie genre

I couldn’t get on board with the editing of this flick but otherwise I thought it was pretty cool. It’s got a lot more balls and stakes than other major action movies do these days. I do wish it had played up the Team more than just being a Mark Wahlberg superhero film, but when it all turned out to be an origin story for his super nemesis I was impressed. If they made a sequel I would go see it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I already love John Wick 3 and this is the only thing I know about it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kristen Stewart actually talked about that recently.

Stewart Teases New “Charlie’s Angels” Tone

Kristen Stewart posted:

“We are not trying to do an impression of the last one… The re-imagining is so grounded and well-intentioned and really shows the way women can work together now. It tries to be warm and funny, but it lacks a kitsch element that we have seen before that works so well.”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Kristen Stewart actually talked about that recently.

Stewart Teases New “Charlie’s Angels” Tone

Hmm, I'm not sure. There's no reason why "more grounded" can't work but didn't they try that already with the abortive TV reboot from a few years ago? Likewise, there's no reason why "more grounded" can't mean it won't still be fun or humorous (they could do a lot worse than, say, a Lethal Weapon tone) but it doesn't necessarily fill me with optimism. Wasn't the David E. Kelley Wonder Woman pilot meant to be a "more grounded" take on the character? :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 28, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do you really want a show about secret agents to be "grounded" in what people like that actually do? You really don't.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It’s great because horse riding stunts have literally been a thing since the inception of film, but I see a picture of John Wick riding a horse and I’m like, “hot drat, they’re finally gonna get it right.”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you really want a show about secret agents to be "grounded" in what people like that actually do? You really don't.

That poo poo lasted for like 2 seconds on that Quantico show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For sure, "grounded" will mean that they act grim and serious in a silly fantasy story, like Spectre.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Grounded" rarely means anything. It's predominantly a marketing incantation used to diffuse knee-jerk reactions to concepts that could too easily be seen as silly, outdated, or camp.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Fart City posted:

It’s great because horse riding stunts have literally been a thing since the inception of film, but I see a picture of John Wick riding a horse and I’m like, “hot drat, they’re finally gonna get it right.”

A homage to the classic equine vs motorbike action of yore

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

The combination of Stahelski's fresh style of choreography and Keanu's unusual ability to perform those movements so fluidly makes for a ton of material for sequels. Like, this is a style that feels(or did, when John Wick hit the scene initially) so novel that you can basically just drop Wick into any traditional action movie situation and you can get some unique moments out of it. I was wondering how they'd mix things up going into Chapter 2 but in the end the only answers they really needed were things like "give John Wick a pump shotgun" and "take John Wicks guns away except for 7 bullets". Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only thing that would make this better would be a mare's leg.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

It was neat in Patriot Games when harrison ford is looking at satmaps for a few days and couldnt be sure whether to order a hit squad, then the camp is empty the next day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ynohtna posted:

"Grounded" rarely means anything. It's predominantly a marketing incantation used to diffuse knee-jerk reactions to concepts that could too easily be seen as silly, outdated, or camp.
Yeah, exactly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that first Charlie's Angels movie is actually one of the better movie adaptations of 60s/70s tv shows from the 90s (it came out in 2000, but that's okay, because the 90s didn't end until 10 September 2001).

On a scale of The Avengers to The Fugitive I think it ranks in the top half. :v:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The only positive thing I can say about Charlie’s Angels is that is successfully made Crispin Glover a karate expert heavy, and the world is better for it. That’s where the discussion begins and ends for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fart City posted:

The only positive thing I can say about Charlie’s Angels is that is successfully made Crispin Glover a karate expert heavy, and the world is better for it. That’s where the discussion begins and ends for me.

Sam Rockwell managed to own.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

got any sevens posted:

It was neat in Patriot Games when harrison ford is looking at satmaps for a few days and couldnt be sure whether to order a hit squad, then the camp is empty the next day.

This but he does it anyway, the rocket hits a school playground and he sent ccd the email to the wrong address and all their informants get murdered and you’ve got it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

Hey, maybe I just wish Lucy Liu had gotten a shot at being a big action star 15 years ago. She could've been great at it.

I mean, she could still do it. Have you seen Elementary? It's been almost 20 years since Ally McBeal and she looks identical.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Sam Rockwell managed to own.

I'll always appreciate that movie for being the first time I saw Sam Rockwell in something. I love how hard he goes into the heel turn.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

got any sevens posted:

I like Patriot Games because Harrison Ford gets in a fight at the beginning, kills one guy by luck then is totally shook up about it, gets shot in the shoulder and is hurt for like 1/3rd of the movie, is in the hospital and goes to trial with his arm in a sling and complains about his shoulder being sore even when he's "back to normal". He also jumps a guy and then loses the fight anyway (luckily saved by some MPs). He's a very vulnerable Man of Action.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Patriot Games is my favourite of the three good Jack Ryan movies. Clear and Present Danger is very good as well and probably has the best action scene of the series (when Ryan's team is ambushed in Mexico) but its villain isn't as good as Sean Bean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I rewatched Die Hard recently since, for whatever reason, my fiance hadn't seen it. It's still a briliant movie, but every time I watch it, I appreciate something else. This time, I realised that every time a character does anything, there's a reason for it. There's a clear character motivation that we're shown and can understand each time. John doesn't go on the offensive, he first tries to get help. Then fights to survive, then finally goes on the offensive once he's realised that the outside cops are useless and Holly's in danger. Hans is content to ignore John, and only goes after him once he loses the detonator. Karl has a reason to go on the offensive, and so he does. There's no real leaps of logic or cheats in the movie, while the movie is still crazy and over the top in just the right way.

I mean, obviously every film is a series of cause and effect situations, but action films tend to cheat a little. Characters get in fights because the script needs some action. Meanwhile, Every step of Die Hard follows on from every other.

I know I've basically said 'it's a good movie' in the most basic terms, but still, it's unusual for that kind of care to go into an action film, simply because that's not why most of the audience is there.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My single favorite "oh poo poo" realization on a Die Hard rewatch was when I realized that the reason Hans has a Coca-Cola brought in for Ellis in the scene where he talks to John on the walkie is because Ellis probably asked them for "coke," and the terrorists misunderstood the request in a translation error.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

My single favorite "oh poo poo" realization on a Die Hard rewatch was when I realized that the reason Hans has a Coca-Cola brought in for Ellis in the scene where he talks to John on the walkie is because Ellis probably asked them for "coke," and the terrorists misunderstood the request in a translation error.

I only noticed quite recently that Ellis and Hans are dressed and look almost identical. Because they're the dark mirrors of each other. It was right there, in the dialogue "You use a gun, I use a fountain pen, what's the difference?"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

I only noticed quite recently that Ellis and Hans are dressed and look almost identical. Because they're the dark mirrors of each other. It was right there, in the dialogue "You use a gun, I use a fountain pen, what's the difference?"

Hans also has the moment where correctly (and smugly) identifies Takagi's suit in the elevator, and mentions that he has two himself. There's an interesting subtext to Gruber's character that suggests that he almost deliberately styles himself in the appearance and manner of the Reaganomics-era corporate raider types that fill Nakatomi plaza, perhaps in an effort to construct an air of legitimacy about himself. The only time his facade cracks is when Holly correctly calls him out as being nothing more than a lowly thief, which is where we get the freak-out "I am and EXCEPTIONAL thief" delivery.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

Hans also has the moment where correctly (and smugly) identifies Takagi's suit in the elevator, and mentions that he has two himself. There's an interesting subtext to Gruber's character that suggests that he almost deliberately styles himself in the appearance and manner of the Reaganomics-era corporate raider types that fill Nakatomi plaza, perhaps in an effort to construct an air of legitimacy about himself. The only time his facade cracks is when Holly correctly calls him out as being nothing more than a lowly thief, which is where we get the freak-out "I am and EXCEPTIONAL thief" delivery.

The terrorists are almost all dressed as yuppie types, with nice shirts, sweaters, khakis. Karl is one of the few exceptions, and he's framed as John McClane's opposite.

There's a lot going on in Die Hard, the more I think about it. The first thing they do is replace the security guard, and no one else can tell the difference. It's a really good metaphor for the awfulness contained in corporate headquarters like Nakatomis.

Now I want to watch it again.

EDIT: Now I'm thinking back to a very weird reading of a film I saw years ago. Someone was convinced that Die Hard, as a film, hates success and attainments, since everyone who's killed is trying to improve their position or something. It makes sense that a very anti reaganomics film would end up being read that way by people who think capitalism is a meritocracy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever watched The Detective with Frank Sinatra?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fart City posted:

There's an interesting subtext to Gruber's character that suggests that he almost deliberately styles himself in the appearance and manner of the Reaganomics-era corporate raider types that fill Nakatomi plaza, perhaps in an effort to construct an air of legitimacy about himself. The only time his facade cracks is when Holly correctly calls him out as being nothing more than a lowly thief, which is where we get the freak-out "I am and EXCEPTIONAL thief" delivery.
He knows what terrorist groups he should pretend to support because he read about them in Time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

He knows what terrorist groups he should pretend to support because he read about them in Time.

... Asian Dawn?

Hans Gruber is fascinating to me, because on repeated viewings it becomes obvious that there is more going on with the character than what is just surface. For one thing, it almost feels like the whole Nakatomi job is his first real, boots-in-the-mud rodeo as a leader. Like he obviously is a good tactician what with calling the FBI cutting the power, but a lot of what he does seems to be motivated by having the appearance of control. Like when they first take over the building, he’s carrying around this little notebook - presumably full of his plans or whatever. But he seems to have genuinely not considered giving the hostages bathroom breaks until Holly mentions it. And as Snowman mentioned earlier, he doesn’t really seem to perceive John as a threat until John derails one of the few necessary parts of his plan regarding the detonators. Karl doesn’t even necessarily treat him as a superior, but a contemporary, even openly rebutting against Hans at various points.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 30, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Little moments like that are what contribute to Die Hard being great.

Hans is a piece of poo poo but he's still a human being.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My headcanon for Hans is that he assembled the Nakatomi group by using the clout of being related to his much more dangerous and methodical brother. Like Simon Gruber comes off like a legit soldier (even going so far as having When Johnny Comes Marching Home as his theme). Hans comes off like a spreadsheet nerd who got his bones by hanging out in the background.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hans is a piece of poo poo but he's still a human being.

Not anymore, he ain't! :clint:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It must have been pretty cool for Rickman to be able to say, "My first feature film role? Hans Gruber. :smug:"

Because seriously, I feel like Hans Gruber is one of a relatively small handful of non-James Bond action movie villains whose name a lot of people tend to remember.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It must have been pretty cool for Rickman to be able to say, "My first feature film role? Hans Gruber. :smug:"

Because seriously, I feel like Hans Gruber is one of a relatively small handful of non-James Bond action movie villains whose name a lot of people tend to remember.

It's always great when a theatre actor steps into the world of movies and knocks it out of the park right away. Doubly nice when they don't have to wait until they're over 50 for it to happen, like with Mark Rylance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

It's always great when a theatre actor steps into the world of movies and knocks it out of the park right away. Doubly nice when they don't have to wait until they're over 50 for it to happen, like with Mark Rylance.

Not exactly the same thing, but one actor's anecdote I enjoy is McKellen's about how he and Maggie Smith and Anthony Hopkins were hand-picked by Laurence Olivier to join his Shakespearean troupe, and now they're now best known for being Gandalf, being Professor McGonagall and eating people's faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Helps to have a line in the movie like "Hans... Bubby...!"

Basebf555 posted:

Gruber is written well but Alan Rickman truly makes him. Which is just a DUH thing to say in hindsight after all these years but they could have gone with some skeevy Eurotrash or Teutonic Ubermensch. Instead they cast a classically trained but unknown British theatre actor and he killed it. I wonder what his audition was like.