Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I try to leave it up to the opponent at that point. I'm more than willing to let them redo the activation if I gave them bad info.

Don't get my started on a guy that left Lurch out of the max threat range of his Bronzeback when I asked him, and then apologized for misremembering right before he Lurch'd the loving thing into my Prime Axiom. I was not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Friendly Fire posted:

I'd offer to reset the models, even in a tournament. I'd feel terrible gaining a potential advantage because I screwed up and gave the wrong info.

True but if they are asking, it's because they need an accurate number to make an informed decision. In a tourney you have a lot to think about and it's standard to accept your opponents word and make decisions based upon that. I still get asked for stats from high level tourney players all the time during games.

I agree and have felt bad giving the wrong number without checking and do my best to reset things and strive to give the best information possible. I meant there are limits to what can be reasonably reset by a judge, and it can be difficult to undo a whole turn fairly. Player A starts their turn asking "What's his arm?", then proceeds to activate a ranged unit to clear a screen unit out of the charge lane, advancing and using repo. Then activates a support solo with empower, moves their caster away to a flag instead of helping with parasite, then finally charges a heavy into the model the misinformation was given for. Mix in 6 or 7 other activations that are partially or unrelated to the mistaken armor, and an ideal or fair gamestate might not be possible to return to. Moving all of this back, including replacing other slain models would be a huge headache. A judge who isn't watching the game until this point doesn't know where each model started the turn and won't be able to undo this many activations, particularly if one or both players then start having disagreements on where models should go back to, or how many steps should be allowed to be taken back.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

I try to leave it up to the opponent at that point. I'm more than willing to let them redo the activation if I gave them bad info.

Don't get my started on a guy that left Lurch out of the max threat range of his Bronzeback when I asked him, and then apologized for misremembering right before he Lurch'd the loving thing into my Prime Axiom. I was not happy.

Our local Event Running Guy / former PG loves to pull this poo poo on me. He's a really big guy with a big voice and he'll do it and laugh, and laugh, and laugh, and then the whole store knows, and they'll all laugh... I still remember the day he ?forgot? about Ruin's warjack bond with butcher, charged it into my Conquest, and did like 45 damage. At an event! If it was anyone else I'd be hella loving steamed but he manages to make it fun.

----

In other news I spent an hour and a bit in rush hour traffic today to grab my :siren: !!!!!HIGH EXEMPLAR CYRENIA!!!!! :siren: I've been proxying her a lot the last few weeks and am hella stoked. It gets even better when you keep in mind that all the stuff coming out in the next few months (Exemplar Warder, Hand of Silence, Initiates of the Wall) all improve her considerably.

I've been running this...

https://conflictchamber.com/#c2201b_-0clT1Xl_1H3Sf73s3U3B2_2M2M2J2L2K

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Guardians of the Temple

[Cyrenia 1] High Exemplar Cyrenia [+28]
- Guardian [15]
- Indictor [14]
- Revenger [10]
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [0(5)]
Pyrrhus, Flameguard Hero [0(5)]
Reclaimer Gatekeeper [3]
- Sanctifier [14]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Temple Flameguard (min) [7]
- Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard [4]
Temple Flameguard (max) [11]

And am going to start trying this once I get my hands on some kicky monks and the Champion.

https://conflictchamber.com/#c2201b_-0OlT1Xgagame3k3kjC3E3r3r3s3U3C3t3z3B3B2_3G3H

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Faithful Masses

[Cyrenia 1] High Exemplar Cyrenia [+28]
- Guardian [15]
- Purifier [8]
- Purifier [8]
- Hierophant [3]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
Champion of the Order of the Wall [8]
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon [0(6)]
Paladin of the Order of the Wall [4]
Paladin of the Order of the Wall [4]
Reclaimer Gatekeeper [3]
- Sanctifier [14]
The Covenant of Menoth [0(4)]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Wrack [1]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide [5]

It's a little less on the overall DEF skew than the other list, but I have complete confidence that the Order of the Fist bros can just camp out behind Rock Wall and hold a side of the table for the entire game while I slam everybody else down the other flank. If the other guy has considerable blast damage I can shore them up with the Champion (Girded!!), or I can put a purifier or something over there.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I came 2 hp close of winning my first game in forever, and very first with my Grymkins. Things went down to the wire when I trampled a Skin and Moans near Kreoss2 and almost finished him with a pair of crabbits.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Thanks for pretty much confirming what I figured y'all. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some unspoken rule I was ignorant of.

Headed into at least a 16 man tourney with 2 troll beast bricks headed by Calandra and Kolgrima. At least I know I won't clock out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

I came 2 hp close of winning my first game in forever, and very first with my Grymkins. Things went down to the wire when I trampled a Skin and Moans near Kreoss2 and almost finished him with a pair of crabbits.

drat :/. I haven't played against the new Kreoss 2 yet but he seems loving gross.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I'm really sad the random boxes are actually random. Im getting back into the game after years and years and I'm slowly putting together a cygnar army.

If I'm only interested in cygnar do you guys think it's worth rolling the dice? I recently moved to a new area so I dont really know the area or groups around here. I'm not sure what the chances are that I'd be able to trade a random box for someone else's cygnar. The boxes are such a good deal I'm still tempted.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Worst case you can flip it on ebay and try again if you dont get the one you want, but maybe you should look at buying secondhand..?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

For wrong ARM in a friendly game, I'd track both scenarios and see if it mattered. Or just do whatever my opponent wanted. IDGAF

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My mini crate came today and had a zombie Gorten pin in it. Hooray!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

S.J. posted:

That post is fine here, and also, your poo poo is gorgeous, drat. I was kind of wondering if you had gotten out of the hobby completely but it sounds like life caught up to you a little bit. Grats on the kiddo!

Thanks man! I still have fond memories of Warmachine (still listening to Muse every time it drops) but I started losing interest in competitive play because of my job, and I started exploring more roleplay-y / collaborative systems like 30k and Frostgrave. When the Mk3 leaks dropped and completely changed the way all my Circle armies would play, I moved almost entirely back to GW stuff. My main games currently are Necromunda and 30k, and I play a lot of board games too (and actually do a board game podcast now).

I’m keeping my Khador just in case the itch ever returns, but at this point I need space and diapers more than I need two big armies for a game I haven’t played in years. :gbsmith:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

rydiafan posted:

My mini crate came today and had a zombie Gorten pin in it. Hooray!

I had Zombie Zerkova. I think PP is clearing space all together.

Edit: Supreme Guardian Preorders are up - https://store.privateerpress.com/supreme-guardian-black-anchor-patch-preorder

waah fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 20, 2018

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sulecrist! :unsmith:

I know that pain man. I barely play anymore so when I do it tends to be frustrating. I don’t think I have it in me to start another new mini game though. Maaaybe MonPoc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Thanks man! I still have fond memories of Warmachine (still listening to Muse every time it drops) but I started losing interest in competitive play because of my job, and I started exploring more roleplay-y / collaborative systems like 30k and Frostgrave. When the Mk3 leaks dropped and completely changed the way all my Circle armies would play, I moved almost entirely back to GW stuff. My main games currently are Necromunda and 30k, and I play a lot of board games too (and actually do a board game podcast now).

I’m keeping my Khador just in case the itch ever returns, but at this point I need space and diapers more than I need two big armies for a game I haven’t played in years. :gbsmith:

Hey man, life happens. The game's in a pretty great spot right now, so hopefully you'll get time to play some day! What's your podcast dude???

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Tharn CID starts next Wednesday!

spoilers so far;

All male Tharn models get rapid healing (like Legion champions), except maybe shaman.

Blood trackers go Def 15, cost to 9/15, get parry. Nuala grants repo 3 and keeps new mini fear of switch prey targets.

Wolf riders, designed to be flanking unit. 12/20 in points. Lose assault, gain backstab, dual attack and jump. Mount gets backstab bonus as well.

Wolf rider Champ goes to 7 points. Loses vet leadership, gets all new wolf rider stuff plus prowl and gives out prowl to wolf riders.

Lord of the Feast: Cost 7, Death Powered, Grievous wounds on sword.

Tharn theme change, snacking line dropped and changed to blood weavers getting ambush

They are concerned about the potential for abuse with blood trackers so will be keeping an eye on it

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 22, 2018

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ambush + Prey seems good, since you choose target when you show up. I expect it will make them as usable as new infiltrators, which is a good thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm glad I'm not going to have to sneer at half my models whenever I play Tharn anymore.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

rkajdi posted:

Ambush + Prey seems good, since you choose target when you show up. I expect it will make them as usable as new infiltrators, which is a good thing.

These are on two separate units. Weavers and trackers. Still cool, in gaining parry, prey swapping, and hopefully a strength buff from the new caster, they'll be able to skirt around the back edges of zones and take down a pretty good variety of targets.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm glad I'm not going to have to sneer at half my models whenever I play Tharn anymore.

I know the feeling. Mage hunter infiltrators went from a trash melee unit I took because they were in a theme I played to a very good melee unit with similar first strike capability to the troll bears. They can do dumb things like delete heavies on the charge if they are under Issyria's feat. It gives me whiplash, and it's weird seeing my opponents actually feeling threatened by them.

I'd love circle to get out of this dumb place they are stuck in where most of the faction is unplayable. Higher diversity of decent options only makes the game better, since it creates an ebb and flow as certain lists become more common along with their counters.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Morv2 doublr wolf riders are going to be a loving nightmare.

And I already have everything I need to run them >:D

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
These all sound cool. Rapid healing helps those out if they take plink dmg than snacking. Thematically snacking makes sense but game wise it blows on tharn.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Jimmy Hats posted:

Morv2 doublr wolf riders are going to be a loving nightmare.

And I already have everything I need to run them >:D

How did you end up with this.

Changes seem interesting. I'll be glad to play more than rocks. I need to finish painting these two units of ravagers.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I make a habit of grabbing up garbage when i can and trying to polish turds. Its how I got my storm raptor for 55 canadian dollars! (approx 37 cents US)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lol even pre-changes Wolf Riders are probably in the top half of circle units. Also PP make Blackclads no longer exclusive to an utterly garbage theme.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Good thing we can pay $80 for a battle engine that will let us teleport 1 blackclad in.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 23, 2018

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mystery box came in today, Retribution. Battlebox, Gorgon, Invictors, Colossal, Token set. TBH I hadn't even considered Ret as a possibility, my entire thought process the whole time was hoping for either Skorne, Legion, or Cygnar, but being happy with anything that wasn't Cryx or Circle and being willing to settle for Khador, Menoth, or Trolls.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

FrostyPox posted:

TBH I hadn't even considered Ret as a possibility

New thread title

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So after all that whining and complaining about making sure my club was represented only 2 out of 8 players did all their games, one no showing due to illness and the others dropping after round 2.

Nerds...nerds are the worst people.

At least I have Tharn to keep me warm this week. That an anthropogenic climate change.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I don't understand why people drop immediately after losing round 1. Why are we in a hobby with such terrible people.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

waah posted:

I don't understand why people drop immediately after losing round 1. Why are we in a hobby with such terrible people.

Ive never seen that, ever, outside of magic the gathnerding. Locally losing the first round is ideal because you end up in beer bracket

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I've dropped after 2 of a 3 round, but only when the loss was super demoralizing, like when I lost on bottom of 2 by scenario.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If I have anything nice to say about wmh playing crowd, it's that I'm lucky to have a nice possee of players. I mean, I get my arse kicked everytime, but I ask for them to go at it for real so I learn, so I'm not complaining. They even fill the void left by a few "friends" after a bad breakup. :unsmith:

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

waah posted:

Many people in my area call losing round 1 the "Fun Bracket". I like that I'm more likely to meet new people in it, not the same vets who, while often nice about it, will kick my rear end. We're able to relax and agree to take back an activation here or there, and chat about whatever. The fun bracket is also where I try for the consolation prize of best painted, the only money I've ever won from the game.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've dropped a couple of tournaments. I don't think any were wildly unexpected.

I've dropped at a con when my options options were play it out or go play in a different event (WMH or not). I feel like that's expected. Cons get pretty tightly scheduled. I want to maximize fun.

I've dropped locally in two cases that I can think of. I've agreed to play when I knew I couldn't finish out the tournament due to work. In that case, I played all the rounds I told the TO I would play. I was also fine not playing at all if the TO found a replacement. I've also dropped last round if my opponent sucked. At that point, who cares. The sucky opponent was probably local anyway. I don't think I ever dropped against a non-local opponent unless I had to bounce anyway.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The shock of finding out you suck at a game can be jarring.

Sometimes people go thinking they are going to *surely* win ... when they get their poo poo pushed in, it is disheartening.

However, if you go to have fun, chances are you will. You will also not drop unless the mood of the tournament sucks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimmy Hats posted:

Ive never seen that, ever, outside of magic the gathnerding. Locally losing the first round is ideal because you end up in beer bracket

In MTG dropping after round 1 isn't really anything like feelbads or being salty usually, it's just that if you're at some FNM (local low level weekly event) but you're practicing to win regionals, then playing out the 'beer bracket' doesn't usually do much good to improve your skill. People grinding for a big tournament tend to play so often that writing off a single event that quickly isn't really anything.

Because of this (people grinding for high level tournaments dropping early) it's become normal to do, such that if someone doesn't fancy playing on they might drop even if they're not really in it to win it anyway. It's just sort of the culture at this point. Similarly, if you get to the final round it's almost customary to offer a draw rather than play it out (since a draw is a better tie break than a loss, it means the two of you are more likely to be 1st and 2nd). From the outside people might see that as 'scummy' or 'not in the spirit of things', but, again, over enough tournaments meeting the same people at the top, it just makes more sense and becomes the norm. (Its probably an 'evolutionary stable strategy' or some Game Theory term, I dunno).

Something that I found with Warmachine was that in the early days, I found it incredibly stressful, because I'd played so few games that every one was like, 15% of my victories / losses or whatever. After you've played 100 games, you don't actually care as much if you win or lose. But those first 20 games were all quite tense. With something like M:tG, you can get to 100 games in a few afternoons. I feel like with Warmachine, games take longer and you've probably played fewer of them, so individual games feel a lot more 'worthy'. Dropping from a tournament and denying another player a game through a bye feels like you've cost them a lot more, but also losing one feels like a much bigger hit. I can sympathise with players dropping after round one, even if I think its not something you 'should' do.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 28, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Tharn cid is up. Im not terribly overwhelmed by it but the shadowhorn changes are heckin good.

New warlock is totally worthless outside of tharn theme which is loving stupid.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I don't suppose anyone here is doing any mystery box swapping? There was nothing in SA Mart so I figured I'd ask to see who else indulged in getting a box.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
They did say themes an the synergy within was the focus but yeah if its tharn focused cuts a lot of options out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I want to take the blood shaman in all themes. Giving warbeasts that sacrifice buff seems awesome.

I hope with the final poses and sculpts they look more varied, but the concept art for all the new female tharn felt very stale. I really couldnt tell the difference quickly between each patchwork dress dagger lady.