Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
how much effort does it take to np5 the broken welfare? i really hate playing events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Honestly, all of the Cavalry classes suffer from Engrish-ness, inasmuch as their name doesn't really depict the indication behind their class... or at least, they stopped doing so pretty much immediately after F/SN, if not in F/SN itself. Not as bad as Ruler, which apparently means 'someone who uses and upholds rules' instead of 'someone who rules,' but...

Assassin isn't really 'someone who sneaks around and kills people with stealth,' it's 'someone for whom killing in all forms is a means of attaining one's goals.' Assassin is certainly represented by, like, the Hassans, but it's also the class of murderous swordmasters like Kojiro or Izou, for whom the life of a person means literally nothing. It's the class of legal murder, even, like Wu Zetian, who certainly did use political subterfuge but her powers as a heroic spirit are based on her monstrous oppressive politics and secret police. Stealth and anonymity, the hallmarks of the word 'assassination,' are not really very important.

So as a sneaky ninja, Stheno isn't much of an assassin. As a cold monster to whom human life is at most a resource to expend for a goal? She definitely matches that.

Similarly Caster is more broadly 'someone for whom esoterica and skills of deep dedication are a source of power,' hence why music and technology fall into this category (Why is Tesla an archer...?) Rider, also, is more 'someone who wields the power of a greater entity,' not literally 'someone who rides something;' Ozy is a terrible rider inasmuch as he doesn't ride anything, but his entire power is that of his empire and the faith built around him. If you somehow deprived Ozymandius of 'Egypt,' he'd be literally powerless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DisDisDis posted:

how much effort does it take to np5 the broken welfare? i really hate playing events.
It doesn't seem that difficult to me, unless you're literally just starting the event now. Basically just work towards completing the EX raids. The natural mission progression of the event (which is needed to unlock each raid) should provide her ascension items and extra copies as you go along.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

BlondRobin posted:

Ozy is a terrible rider inasmuch as he doesn't ride anything, but his entire power is that of his empire and the faith built around him. If you somehow deprived Ozymandius of 'Egypt,' he'd be literally powerless.

Ozy is a Rider because he literally rides; the space lasers in GO are from the ship which carries the sun out of Egyptian mythology. As hosed as the class system has gotten, this is completely simple. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_solar_ships

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

It doesn't seem that difficult to me, unless you're literally just starting the event now.

I would be

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DisDisDis posted:

I would be
Probably not possible unless you apple a lot, the first week was needed to go through the first five raids on natural AP gen and the second week is the second set.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can at least get np1 Chloe, who hasn't seemed half bad

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I would be

Prisma uses the mission system (the one used for the KnK and Fate/Zero events), and all copies and ascension mats for the bonus Servant are found either by completing the story or doing the missions - none of the stuff needed is found in the shop. I wouldn't call the missions terribly grindy either (some grinding is still needed, obviously), so it's perfectly possible to still do it at this point with some effort.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Who hates doing events? How do you get reliable quantities of mats otherwise? :psyduck:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I know I need them to get mats and then I think about doing all the currency grinding to get the mats and then I just don't play them, or FGO lol

e; i have like 30 gold apples so maybe ill give it a shot over the weekend

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Who hates doing events? How do you get reliable quantities of mats otherwise? :psyduck:

To be entirely fair, this event shop has gotten a decided "eh" from me. I can use some of it, sure, but there's little in it that I incredibly need at the moment, like hearts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lord Koth posted:

To be entirely fair, this event shop has gotten a decided "eh" from me. I can use some of it, sure, but there's little in it that I incredibly need at the moment, like hearts.
It doesn't help the the Medal and Chain buffet that is Nerofest is looming just around the corner. I've finished off a couple of little projects (10/6/10ing Saberlot, FAing Tamamo, maxing a couple of skills with the lores) but most of the shop's gains are going into "well it's nice to have a surplus of this" pile while I count the days to the Umugeddon

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BlondRobin posted:

(Why is Tesla an archer...?)

From TV Tropes:

The class is called Archer, but really covers all Heroic Spirits skilled at ranged combat. This means there are "Archers" who use guns, or a sling, or fire melee weapons out of portals. Even if they use lightning or telekinesis, if it's not magecraft, the Servant will be placed into Archer instead of Caster. It's lampshaded in Arjuna's Trial Quest, where Mash tells the amnesic Arjuna that just because he has a bow that doesn't automatically make him an Archer, to which he replies that they must know some...rather unique heroes. This was actually explained by Fate/complete material III, as such:

The qualifying condition for the Heroic Spirits [of the Archer class] is not attributes, but instead the possession of powerful projectile weapons or special abilities related to projectile weapons. Servants will generally assume that the Noble Phantasm of an Archer-class Servant is their bow, but any projectile weapons, even firearms, can be indicative of an Archer.

So basically, since Tesla's lightning is generated by his tech and not magic, he's an Archer, not a Caster.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Nice

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

W.T. Fits posted:

So basically, since Tesla's lightning is generated by his tech and not magic, he's an Archer, not a Caster.

Half of Edison's attacks are lasers and stuff. If you tell me 'president power is magic and his technology doesn't actually work, it's just that' then... well, it's been a long time since I've gone through America, I guess.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's because Tesla's Cool Trick still boils down to "is a ranged weapon" while Edison's Cool Trick is a weirder "shuts down magic in the area".

NPs often matter more than their regular attacks for their class. Swimsuit Raikou is a Lancer because she throws off a bigass Indraspear. Emiya is an Archer because his best tricks are arrow sniping and projectile spamming via UBW, even though he normally uses dual swords.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Rider Ushi: darts nimbly from boat to boat to deal a deathblow to a single target

Assassin Ushi: uses a tengu fan to aoe nuke her enemies with a big tornado

what the ? ? ?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Tesla's late-life theories included attempts to transfer large amounts of electricity wirelessly over very long distances, as well as claims that he'd invented a particle beam weapon (today remembered as a "death ray") that could shoot down planes from 200 miles away, so "dude with a lightning gun" was an easy fit for him. It makes at least as much sense as a mage who creates swords with magic ending up as an Archer.

Meanwhile, Edison was a believer in nonviolence, who refused to work on offensive weapons and is mostly remembered for things like lightbulbs, phonographs, early video cameras, and so on. So his thing had to be something a little more vague and wonky, which fits the Caster class well.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Space Flower posted:

Rider Ushi: darts nimbly from boat to boat to deal a deathblow to a single target

Assassin Ushi: uses a tengu fan to aoe nuke her enemies with a big tornado

what the ? ? ?

Swimsuit servants basically never really follow the 'rules' of classes and I think that trying to explain those in more then really vague terms is probably eh.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Gilles down, Rider Martha extremely doesn't care about his terror gimmick.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Traveller posted:

Gilles down, Rider Martha extremely doesn't care about his terror gimmick.
Fou Jeanne approves.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If we don't get Orson Welles with War of the Worlds as his Noble Phantasm, I don't know what the gently caress.

Dude was a real-life magician! He'd be perfect as a Caster!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I'm not sure whether I want Pablo Picasso or Michaelangelo more as Casters. Can you imagine how terrifying a Guernica NP would be?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I want a female genderswap bondage themed Saint Sebastian

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Man, the rates here feel pretty harsh since you don't have any free boost CEs besides the silver.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Transient People posted:

I'm not sure whether I want Pablo Picasso or Michaelangelo more as Casters. Can you imagine how terrifying a Guernica NP would be?
I would imagine picasso’s reality marble would be like the witch realm in Madoka.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Pulling for Mata Hari Alter. Evil 4* Ruler or Archer that has the German soldiers she seduced come out and fight for her.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Nate RFB posted:

It doesn't help the the Medal and Chain buffet that is Nerofest is looming just around the corner. I've finished off a couple of little projects (10/6/10ing Saberlot, FAing Tamamo, maxing a couple of skills with the lores) but most of the shop's gains are going into "well it's nice to have a surplus of this" pile while I count the days to the Umugeddon

For medals specifically wouldn't the hunting quest after nerofest be better?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Political Seductress usually fall into assasin categories.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Ohtsam posted:

For medals specifically wouldn't the hunting quest after nerofest be better?

No, because you don't get QP from it. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

W.T. Fits posted:

If you could have any author, musician or artist added to the game as a Caster class Servant, who would you pick?

I'd go with Mark Twain.

Only if they bring back Jeanne for a bit so Mark Twain can totally fanboy over her. Because he was a big fan of her.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Guys just started playing and sitting on three summon tickets. Is the current banner a decent one to pull on or should I wait? I know the rates are atrocious but I don't have any idea what to wait for and don't have enough background on the game universe to want a certain character.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Guys just started playing and sitting on three summon tickets. Is the current banner a decent one to pull on or should I wait? I know the rates are atrocious but I don't have any idea what to wait for and don't have enough background on the game universe to want a certain character.

Gameplay-wise none of these units are amazing; the next half dozen banners should all be better in various different ways.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Love to see a caster Antoni Gaudi or Michelangelo Caravaggio or MC Escher. Also Modest Mussorgsky. And James Joyce.

I'd also like, like... Assassin Herman der Cherusker/Arminius, or Ruler Immanuel Kant. There aren't many Rulers.

Also ... would Blavatsky make sense as a Foreigner? As an NA player all I really know about Foreigner is "space/elder things, lol".

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

I want a female genderswap bondage themed Saint Sebastian

I mean, I guess Kiara kinda counts

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

vulturesrow posted:

Might as well wait then, it's never a good idea to roll just for the sake of doing so especially if you have no attachment to the banner servants in question. Eventually there will be a banner that has something that will stand out to you and there are certainly some attractive ones coming in the next handful of months. If you're really patient then there will be a huge deluge of insane banners at the end of the year (Ishtar, both Babylonia banners, Merlin, Musashi, and King Hassan).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

if you want to wait for just generally good servants gameplay-wise, roll for Extra Vlad on Halloween, Caster Gilgamesh and Quetzalcoatl when Babylonia comes out, and Musashi and Merlin around the end of the year/start of next year.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stage 1 of 3 completed. Just need to get more gold fous and then the true hell of skill leveling can begin.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

vulturesrow posted:

Personally speaking my policy on summons was to use them whenever until I had a set of guys I was happy with, and I only started saving them for events after. When you're tearing through the early game content like a buzzsaw summons make good motivation to keep you going through the first story arcs which are... not as good as the later ones and some of the events.

I'm a FTPer, I started playing when the Zero event was wrapping up, the summer event was the first one I actually saved for, and by then I had a nice robust team (I EVEN HAVE TWO FIVE STARS OH BOY) so getting Punchy Martha (and failing to get Squirtoria) weren't the end of the world. Ultimately you know your own personality best, so use the summons as you think best suits you. Are you going to cry tears of blood if you fail to roll for Musashi, or do you feel frustrated with the friendpoint pool and want to freshen up your lineup?

Just don't worry about the minmaxmeta approach because there are only certain games where that kind of thing can maybe be impressive, and this is not one of them (unless you're talking about being impressed by how much disposable income someone has)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

W.T. Fits posted:

If you could have any author, musician or artist added to the game as a Caster class Servant, who would you pick?

I'd go with Mark Twain.

The best part of this is apparently Mark Twain was super into Jeanne D'arc. Like waifu-level.