Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize that exists, and as I'm not a big Aziz fan, I didn't follow the story all that closely. I just remember the general takeaway that people weren't happy with the website that posted it because they tried to make it super scandalous and it seemed that people could use it for a "me too goes too far" argument. I'm not arguing that is the case, I'm just saying that was my takeaway from it 6 months ago or whenever it broke.

When some older female talking head on CNN or something lambasted the article the auhtor went on a tired about her being an unpopular old hag with terrible fashion sense and bad hair.

Maybe it was more nuanced then that, but it was a extremly unprofessional response to your writing being criticized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Jeff Spicoli in space?! Hell yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I got a new big TV for the living room today (previous one belonged to a housemate who moved out) and it’s so gorgeous and nice and lovely and the cherry on top is that it can play mkv files from a USB stick holy poo poo I’m dead and in heaven

Basically the only thing it can’t do is FLAC audio more than 2 channels but that’s really only anime stuff I’m not fussed about

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did something happen this year that made challenge coins a big deal?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

muscles like this! posted:

Trump pumps one out whenever he every once in a while. Even though other presidents have released them, Trumps are his special brand of tackiness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What made you ask that anyway

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

for a sec I thought I was in the Giant Bomb thread

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
yo, why isn't there a Castle Rock thread?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What made you ask that anyway

I got an email today from the most recent Rifftrax Kickstarter and they're talking about the challenge coin they're putting out and I just finished listening to last week's Beastcast and Vinny was talking about their challenge coin that they're putting out and it made me wonder.

Also I've started watching The Innocents and man in episode 3 that boat guy goes from real cool to real skeezy real quick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did challenge coins originate with the military? Because I saw some 501sters almost get murdered over theirs about 10 years ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rhyno posted:

Did challenge coins originate with the military? Because I saw some 501sters almost get murdered over theirs about 10 years ago.

from the way gip regards them, getting murdered for a challenge coin seems a bad way to go.

TheWevel posted:

yo, why isn't there a Castle Rock thread?

Probably same reason there wasn't a BB thread last season. I do like the show a bit, though I'm glad they're going anthology.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

Depending on who you ask, their definition of the coins and the sources they trust it either dates back to the Roman Empire, Renaissance, WWI, WWII, or the Korean War. Actual confirmed use is a couple of regiments from the 1950s on, and became more commonplace in the 1980s. Definitely military origin, it's been spreading since then. First ones I personally saw outside of military or various formal official souvenirs (senatorial or presidential coins for example) were a kickstarter from a webcomic (Schlock Mercenary) about 5 years ago, the author had heard about them and it fit with the comic's setting. Not sure if he was the first to go that far but since then it's exploded as a fandom feely option for fundraisers and such.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I don't know if anyone heard of this deal, I'm not affiliated, but Spotify Premium is tying up its membership with Hulu and Showtime for a combined total price of 4.99 for all three per month when you sign up with a student email.

I was stoked. Between getting Netflix from my T-Mobile and now this, my streaming definitely keeps me satisfied without cable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mr. Mercedes has returned for a second season on the DirecTV/AT&T Network (Channel 101). Jack Huston (Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire) is a character this season. Brendan Gleeson is back, too.

The first two episodes have already aired.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gonz posted:

Mr. Mercedes has returned for a second season on the DirecTV/AT&T Network (Channel 101). Jack Huston (Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire) is a character this season. Brendan Gleeson is back, too.

First episode was ok but I wasn't super into unethical doctor couple and while the psychopath kid was interesting the first season I'm not really looking forward to him being back.

Would have liked to see a new storyarc with the private detective agency being the hook.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

for a sec I thought I was in the Giant Bomb thread

I really thought I was losing it for a second there.

Biggest news I can recall hearing about them was Scott Pruitt (Trump's guy trying to dismantle the EPA) spending a bunch of money some really ugly lovely ones for the EPA, among all the other ugly lovely crap he bought with our money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the biggest challenge coin related news I can recall recently

I kind of thought Bob Newhart was dead but he was on Conan last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmr_CtN1K3g
Owns

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 30, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

Is there any way to watch it if I don’t have DirectTV? I have cell service through AT&T but that’s it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAsfo6rEz0

70 episode Mandarin period dramas set in the Three Kingdoms era are extremely my poo poo folks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't know if anyone heard of this deal, I'm not affiliated, but Spotify Premium is tying up its membership with Hulu and Showtime for a combined total price of 4.99 for all three per month when you sign up with a student email.

that's a good deal

a frustrating number of people who should know better often parrot the phrase "Spotify doesn't pay artists"

okay, so, that's technically true. Spotify pays the label or, if you don't have a label, they pay the intermediary service you use to register your songs with ASCAP/BMI

but in a non-technical sense, Spotify absolutely pays out. could they pay more? yeah absolutely. but every musician i know who has their stuff on Spotify (which is... literally every musician i know, except for me and the others on d/a73 because we haven't set it up yet) is at least moderately happy with the results.

like, Drag City used to not have ANY of their albums on Spotify. no will oldham, no smog, etc. Drag City is a huge label in the independent scene. they're one of the few labels that could get away with not putting anything on Spotify because people buy their records, a lot.

but earlier this year Drag City put everything on Spotify... because, shocker, they do pay out.

ironically the bands who are most loudly against Spotify - Radiohead, Aerosmith, etc - are getting shafted by their label, not by Spotify itself. with the number of plays they get, Radiohead would be making millions a year just on Spotify plays alone if Capitol didn't own the rights to The Bends and OK Computer. so whenever i hear Thom Yorke railing against Spotify, it makes me angry because he's being disingenuous (or he's just ignorant of his own band's financial situation, which seems... unlikely)

one musician i know has told me "Spotify is the only reason I'm not still homeless" and this is a guy who won the British version of a Grammy one year in the late 90s for Album of the Year lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngl2W_VLp1o
Trailer for new Hulu series starring Sean Penn about the first manned mission to Mars. Looks very "prestige-y"

I'm not even click on that, trip to Mars media always sucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t know Fran Healy was doing so badly

e: Shagletic get out of the way and stop ruining my joke

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t know Fran Healy was doing so badly

e: Shagletic get out of the way and stop ruining my joke

I'll NEVER stop RUINING things

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of music there's a short mockumentary on Netflix called Party Monster: Scratching the Surface that's pretty funny. Jon Hamm plays an aging DJ

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

Talking of music there's a short mockumentary on Netflix called Party Monster: Scratching the Surface that's pretty funny. Jon Hamm plays an aging DJ

Is that the one that’s about his Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt character?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that the one that’s about his Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt character?

Yeah she's in it briefly

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zoux posted:

70 episode Mandarin period dramas set in the Three Kingdoms era are extremely my poo poo folks

The synopsis sounds kinda cool, added it to my Netflix list. Thanks for linking this as I bet I would have never found it otherwise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Yeah she's in it briefly

ahaha you totally phrased that like you had no idea it was based on UKS

does it have any more material than the actual episode had?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Wait, I got all excited, but it doesn't sound like it's set in the Three Kingdoms era? I can't find much info but it seems like fictionalized characters based on Three Kingdoms stuff? I don't know, there's not a lot of info about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Wait, I got all excited, but it doesn't sound like it's set in the Three Kingdoms era? I can't find much info but it seems like fictionalized characters based on Three Kingdoms stuff? I don't know, there's not a lot of info about it.

Yeah. The name of the book it's based on is also the name of a famous 3K general but if it ain't directly based on that era it is borrowing extremely heavily from it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No hype for it on the west, I guess is isn't an english speaking show like marco polo was.

Could be interesting. Seems like a revival of Asian historical shows with Westworld having it as a setting and FX working on a Shogun tv series.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

drunkill posted:

Seems like a revival of Asian historical shows with Westworld having it as a setting and FX working on a Shogun tv series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB-ltNasHVw

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

:same:

Holy hell am I excited.

e: ^^^ I'm still salted bout the cliffhanger Marco Polo ended on and miss it v much

esperterra fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 30, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drunkill posted:

No hype for it on the west, I guess is isn't an english speaking show like marco polo was.

Could be interesting. Seems like a revival of Asian historical shows with Westworld having it as a setting and FX working on a Shogun tv series.

Yeah it's already aired in China, Netflix is just the western distributor.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PaybackJack posted:

First episode was ok but I wasn't super into unethical doctor couple and while the psychopath kid was interesting the first season I'm not really looking forward to him being back.

Would have liked to see a new storyarc with the private detective agency being the hook.

That was what the books did, the second in the trilogy is a Coen Bros/A Simple Plan caper about a kid finding the bounty of a botched robbery with Bill Hodges and the Finders Keepers agency having more of a supporting role. Presumably the show skipped straight to the third book because it was more of a direct sequel and they had all the returning actors locked down for it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

zoux posted:

Totally there.

Really bummed that the latest RotK game to get translated was not very good, thankfully KOEI dumped a bunch of the old good titles on Steam a while back. 11 is still probably my favorite but it's awesome that they dumped practically the whole series on Steam even if they didn't do any sort of updating or patching.

On the subject of TV I wasn't into Marco Polo so much but it's great to see more media from Asia make it's way into American media. We've been having a good influx of European content thanks to Netflix so it's cool to see Asian stuff start getting subs and western advertising.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've noticed that with foreign production schedules (like Metastasis or El Patron de Mal) they don't do seasons, they do the whole thing at once, often airing multiple episodes a week. So, as far as I can tell, all 70 episodes are going to drop on Netflix on that date.

This is what's aired already in China

I don't know if this is common in non-English speaking countries (the Turkish historical epic Ertugrul aired on what we'd consider a more traditional schedule, though they had like 30 episode seasons) but I LIKE IT. I especially like it better than the growing model of artificially breaking up already-completed seasons into multiple parts like The Tick, UBKS and Disenchantment that I can't really figure out a reason for.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Netflix already has the greatest Chinese story ever told in Ice Fantasy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc Kimmy Schmidt had to take a production break so Tina Fey could go work on the Mean Girls musical, but otherwise I think it's usually so they can try to hit two different Emmys with one season lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All those Spanish soap operas have that crazy schedule. From what I've seen of Metastasis it's a lot closer to soap opera than Breaking Bad.