Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

That was brought up too. Like uuuuh whats going on there?

From memory, the WCA got hit with a weaponized version of Doom's time machine that could only go backward, and at one point, end up in ancient Egypt. There's a fight brewing and they need backup, but the locals are unarmed. They have a lot of stone and ivory lying around, though, and some time to kill, so Hawkeye whittles some throwing clubs, darts, and whatnot out of what's available.

Flash-forward to the present day and the cult of Khonshu has adopted those particular weapons as a trademark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That actually sounds kind of cool actually. A lot better than Simon being raped.

Ugh Why do my favorite characters keep getting treated like crap by writers?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've really enjoyed Soule's entire run on Daredevil thus far but I have to say that "Reader falls asleep reading Matt's boring braille case files and accidentally creates Mike Murdock as a real person when he wakes up" might be my favorite crazy subplot of about 50 crazy subplots that Marvel has had going lately. It's just exactly the kind of luck Matt Murdock has.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He put Reader in Daredevil? That's perfect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Given what those fuckers did to Lockjaw, Reader's dog better not have anything happen to him. I will burn Marvel to the ground.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

This arc has been my favorite of his run so far, I'm not sure why it hasn't been clicking for me until now, it's been ok but I feel like it's missing something. I don't know if it's Noto's art or just this wonderfully bonkers plot but it's really working for me right now. Also, anything that gets me more Frank McGee is aces.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He put Reader in Daredevil? That's perfect.

Reader and Frank McGee are working with Daredevil on a case.

Skwirl posted:

Given what those fuckers did to Lockjaw, Reader's dog better not have anything happen to him. I will burn Marvel to the ground.

That bastard Mike Murdock used him as a hostage to get away! But then tied him up safely a block away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Reader and Frank McGee are working with Daredevil on a case.

That bastard Mike Murdock used him as a hostage to get away! But then tied him up safely a block away.

I'm okay with mild endangerment, as long as it ends okay.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I'm okay with mild endangerment, as long as it ends okay.

Here's the sequence. I love everything about these pages.

I love that Frank McGee wastes 40 dollars on a snarky little Inhuman psychic when the guy he's working with is like "Yeah, that was me"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inhuman money having inflation issues? 40 dollars doesn't sound like much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The last thing sterilon did in this world was fleece his friend for $40

Rip

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Domino and X-23 are both good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Domino and X-23 are both good.

:same:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

bobkatt013 posted:

Why do you say that? He has done more than one book for a long time

While his Thor book has been juggling this War of Realms plot across almost the whole run, the stories are really at their best when they're the one-shot or one offs that let him roam with all the sword and board vibe that he loves so much. Weirdworld was basically an audition and now that they're going to do a Conan book, he can just chase those random vibes rather than having to work within the movies.

The book has been great but if you try and sum it all up, not that much has happened.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's weird because the War of Realms is a thing that's been *happening* for like five real world years, but since it hasn't really hit Asgard(ia) or Midgard yet, it's only mentioned as a thing here and there and only when it influences events that affect Thor. Like, I feel like Marvel could make a whole second series about what's going on in, like, Svartalfheim (with Aaron at least having veto power on major events to not mess with his story) and I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't tried.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Endless Mike posted:

It's weird because the War of Realms is a thing that's been *happening* for like five real world years, but since it hasn't really hit Asgard(ia) or Midgard yet, it's only mentioned as a thing here and there and only when it influences events that affect Thor. Like, I feel like Marvel could make a whole second series about what's going on in, like, Svartalfheim (with Aaron at least having veto power on major events to not mess with his story) and I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't tried.

Didn't it already hit Asgard in the form of the Mangog?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd have to reread it, but I don't think they know Mangog was related, since it's not like he doesn't show up every once in awhile to wreck poo poo. Like, they don't really seem to be actively gearing up for war beyond Thor going off to help out in Niflheim.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Didn't it already hit Asgard in the form of the Mangog?

That wasn't War of Realms related. That's from when Thor humiliated the Shi'ar gods and they said they were gonna unleash some sort of judgment/god-killer. They pretended like it was the Phoenix but after Thor got rid of it, the little referee god said something like "that wasn't the judgment..." ominously while Thor flew away.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

Oh god that's right. Doom got ugly again fighting a demon.

I forgot because Marvel Two-in-One happened where Doom is still cool.

Maybe Doom is just a bit nuts from the face thing. Making him a villain again seems like a tough sell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

eatenmyeyes posted:

Maybe Doom is just a bit nuts from the face thing. Making him a villain again seems like a tough sell.

Making a dude named Doom into a villain again is never going to be a tough sell.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

That wasn't War of Realms related. That's from when Thor humiliated the Shi'ar gods and they said they were gonna unleash some sort of judgment/god-killer. They pretended like it was the Phoenix but after Thor got rid of it, the little referee god said something like "that wasn't the judgment..." ominously while Thor flew away.

But on the other hand, Loki manipulated that whole thing into happening in the first place.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are they going to or have they explained why (or whether) Doom will also be reverting to speaking to himself in the third person after he finally learned first person pronouns? Because that's going to be a much tougher sell than Doom reverting to evil.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

eatenmyeyes posted:

No one in the mu believed he had really turned good anyways, i dont see the trouble

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Slott being pure booty I'm sure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

No one in the mu believed he had really turned good anyways, i dont see the trouble

Reed did :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is kind of lame but also inevitable

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
What happened to ultimate reed?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omnibobb posted:

What happened to ultimate reed?

He last showed up in Ultimates 2. Don’t think he’s been around since?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

He was in Infamous Iron Man if I recall but I forget why.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

He was in Infamous Iron Man if I recall but I forget why.

It was actually Mephisto.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I caught up on the last few issues of Runaways.

Generally I feel like a lot of writers for superhero comics fall into one of two camps: prioritizing continuity or prioritizing novelty. Both are fine in their way-- I usually prefer the latter. That being said, I've been reading comics a long time, long enough to feel a little itch sometimes when a writer plays fast and loose with continuity, because sometimes, a lot of the time, its just empty baggage, you know, but at other times it feels like a too-casual disregard of another writers' work. So like-- gimme The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl over Avengers Forever any day, but I can still sigh a little at Ryan North's Taskmaster, or, as I did this week, G. Willow Wilson's Shocker. A new creative team is, I think, increasingly framed as a fresh start, which is for the most part absolutely fine.

There's a ton to like about Rowells' Runaways-- a ton of really important things that I'm not going to talk about, because I just want to acknowledge how consistently happy I am with her efforts to not only acknowledge the little back-waters and eddies of continuity but to make them matter and give them emotional resonance that they might not have even had in their initial stories. I hated how Tom King wrote Victor La Mancha in Vision, but Rowell does a lot with it, and makes what I felt like a lazily cynical turn in his character into a really moving, slow-simmering emotional beat. Similarly there was absolutely zero obligation for her to ever acknowledge that he used to be on a short-lived team with a Doom Bot, but she does, and she gets wonderful mileage out of it. When the comic went a year without mentioning Joss Whedon's dud of a character Klara I assumed, with sympathy, that she'd just decided to sweep her under the rug, but then, tucked away into a backup, she's dealt with in a humane and nuanced way.

And I think she's taking such a painstaking approach to honoring continuity, warts and all, because the emotional core of the book is in a lot of ways Gert, who went away as a teen in a group of teens, and now is back to find out that their lives went on without her, and since this is a superhero comic book, their lives are continuity, and that that continuity is messy, unwieldy, and weird, is the point. It does what I didn't think was possible, which was to catch BKV's lightning in a bottle again, while writing a comic that's radically different from his run. I spent many years kind of bummed out about the Runaways, who all seemed so hollow and pointless as a group after his run wrapped up, especially as a group, but she's totally killing it, in part because that hollowness and pointlessness is woven into the book's structure-- it's about a group of people forced into looking back at their lives and asking "wait, how did we get here."

It's unbelievable to me that this is Rowell's first work in comics-- it's so sharp and self-assured, and doesn't do the first-time comics writer thing of writing over the artist (like, imo, Coates did in the first arc or two of Black Panther). It's an understated marvel and I hope she hangs around in the medium for a long time to come.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 29, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He last showed up in Ultimates 2. Don’t think he’s been around since?

He was in New Avengers as the leader of W.H.I.S.P.E.R., but that might have taken place before his Ultimates 2 appearance.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Archyduke posted:

I caught up on the last few issues of Runaways.

Generally I feel like a lot of writers for superhero comics fall into one of two camps: prioritizing continuity or prioritizing novelty. Both are fine in their way-- I usually prefer the latter. That being said, I've been reading comics a long time, long enough to feel a little itch sometimes when a writer plays fast and loose with continuity, because sometimes, a lot of the time, its just empty baggage, you know, but at other times it feels like a too-casual disregard of another writers' work. So like-- gimme The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl over Avengers Forever any day, but I can still sigh a little at Ryan North's Taskmaster, or, as I did this week, G. Willow Wilson's Shocker. A new creative team is, I think, increasingly framed as a fresh start, which is for the most part absolutely fine.

There's a ton to like about Rowells' Runaways-- a ton of really important things that I'm not going to talk about, because I just want to acknowledge how consistently happy I am with her efforts to not only acknowledge the little back-waters and eddies of continuity but to make them matter and give them emotional resonance that they might not have even had in their initial stories. I hated how Tom King wrote Victor La Mancha in Vision, but Rowell does a lot with it, and makes what I felt like a lazily cynical turn in his character into a really moving, slow-simmering emotional beat. Similarly there was absolutely zero obligation for her to ever acknowledge that he used to be on a short-lived team with a Doom Bot, but she does, and she gets wonderful mileage out of it. When the comic went a year without mentioning Joss Whedon's dud of a character Klara I assumed, with sympathy, that she'd just decided to sweep her under the rug, but then, tucked away into a backup, she's dealt with in a humane and nuanced way.

And I think she's taking such a painstaking approach to honoring continuity, warts and all, because the emotional core of the book is in a lot of ways Gert, who went away as a teen in a group of teens, and now is back to find out that their lives went on without her, and since this is a superhero comic book, their lives are continuity, and that that continuity is messy, unwieldy, and weird, is the point. It does what I didn't think was possible, which was to catch BKV's lightning in a bottle again, while writing a comic that's radically different from his run. I spent many years kind of bummed out about the Runaways, who all seemed so hollow and pointless as a group after his run wrapped up, especially as a group, but she's totally killing it, in part because that hollowness and pointlessness is woven into the book's structure-- it's about a group of people forced into looking back at their lives and asking "wait, how did we get here."

It's unbelievable to me that this is Rowell's first work in comics-- it's so sharp and self-assured, and doesn't do the first-time comics writer thing of writing over the artist (like, imo, Coates did in the first arc or two of Black Panther). It's an understated marvel and I hope she hangs around in the medium for a long time to come.

Yeah, I really agree with this. There is a real emotional core and connection to the team, which is so essential to Runaways working, and in 12 issues we have seen the different ways that they connect to one another. I just also want to add that Anka and Wilson are absolutely crushing it, in terms of nailing the crucial beats with some amazing expression work and colour choices, plus the outfits and makeup are just slaying me every issue. The looks for the formal event in #12 were incredible, I was going full on Carson Kressley reaction at them both.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I basically have nothing to add to any of that because it's dead on

in fact I'd argue that Runaways is not only good, but that this is the best the book has ever been

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/winsomewasps/status/1034827033505869824?s=19

I guess i have to read runaways now

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah y'all have sold me, time to give Runaways another try.

It's been hard because I loved that first run so much and everything after has just been sad for not living up to it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you hadn’t already been reading Runaways something might be wrong with you. It’s been great from issue one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh when it was first announced as coming back i read the original first 12 issues and found myself not giving a poo poo about it at all so i never started reading the new stuff

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That was a nice bow they put on Klara. Now we don't have to think about Whedon's run ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I didn't like the first issue that much but when I caught up with the more recent issues I ended up loving the whole run. Runaways hasn't been that good since the BKV/Alphona days and I really hope Rowell stays for a while or gets a chance with another group of characters. I love that the Runaways feel like part of the bigger Marvel Universe, yet at the same time, they don't fit and probably won't ever fit, unlike other teen/kid heroes like the Champions.

Also, Anka's art is amazing; he should never leave the book.