Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Reality Pisser posted:

Is Monster Hunter Switch a good place to start hunting mons in? I've never hunted a mon before and thought the demo was incredible rear end.
Not really, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I've watched some gameplay videos of Breath of the Wild on my phone and the colors are better with stronger contrast then I have on my handheld screen.

Not sure if that just means the switch screen isn't as good as my iphone screen (I have a 6+) or whether I have a defective screen.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Reality Pisser posted:

Is Monster Hunter Switch a good place to start hunting mons in? I've never hunted a mon before and thought the demo was incredible rear end.

It's my first MH game that I've really dug into and I'm loving it. I had the PSP one that was big, but I got it after online died and then I joined the Navy so didn't play it much. I am LOVING mhgu on the switch though. I hunt monsters no matter where I am!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I've watched some gameplay videos of Breath of the Wild on my phone and the colors are better with stronger contrast then I have on my handheld screen.

Not sure if that just means the switch screen isn't as good as my iphone screen (I have a 6+) or whether I have a defective screen.

It's because everyone that's recording video is doing it through HDMI which requires docked mode, so the device is outputting higher res and color range than in handheld mode. If videos could be recorded from handheld mode, then it'd be a bit closer. (Also, your iPhone screen is likely better/brighter)

content
Feb 13, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've definitely put in significant time handheld and even in tabletop mode with the kickstand. .

I did this for the first time at work the other day! It was great until my boss walked into the lunch room concerned because I was morosely staring off into the middle distance (he didn't see the Switch on the table).

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I committed Monster Hunter hubris by thinking I was being clever gathering mushrooms I knew I'd need for the next quest while on a different one, and that's how I found out what "Account Item" means :doh:

I've started enjoying gathering stuff just so I can get a new belt, so this game is starting to win me over, even though I have yet to hunt a monster.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zibidibodel posted:

It's because everyone that's recording video is doing it through HDMI which requires docked mode, so the device is outputting higher res and color range than in handheld mode.

Does restricting the colour range more narrowly than the usual gamut really save a material amount of power?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Reality Pisser posted:

world is much better if you have something that can play it

GU mostly gets by on quantity of content and some gimmicky stuff like styles that won't be as much of a selling point if you're brand new to the series

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

theblackw0lf posted:

Do you have a glass screen protector? It really does help with color definition

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Mostly because I've got a really nice TV that makes the games look gorgeous and I'm also a hermit with no reason to take the console on the go, but little time I spend with the device in handheld mode is still awe-inspiring. Something like MK8 or SMO running on that tiny little device gets me every time.

Totally. I love TV gaming and if I'm out and about I'm either reading a book or the forums most of the time.

I have used it handheld a few times on business trips and whatnot and it was great, no question, but that's just a side benefit to me.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm paranoid about overcharging my batteries. I play handheld when it has a charge, and Switch :haw: to TV mode when it gets low.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Overcharging a battery is something really doesn't happen anymore I thought?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waffle! posted:

I'm paranoid about overcharging my batteries. I play handheld when it has a charge, and Switch :haw: to TV mode when it gets low.
Your Switch knows when the battery is full. Overcharging hasn't been a thing in handheld electronics for like 10 years.

Rest easy gamer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zibidibodel posted:

It's because everyone that's recording video is doing it through HDMI which requires docked mode, so the device is outputting higher res and color range than in handheld mode. If videos could be recorded from handheld mode, then it'd be a bit closer. (Also, your iPhone screen is likely better/brighter)

They can record from handheld mode, Digital Foundry has one that does.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

They can record from handheld mode, Digital Foundry has one that does.

Sorry, I meant without modding the switch. I have heard of that cool board that'll capture from handheld though, thanks for reminding!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Was reading up on screen differences and found this post over at Resetera. Not sure how valid it is but I do know that Nintendo is using different manufacturers for their screens

quote:

After hearing how Nintendo started using different (worse) screens in more recent Switch consoles I compared a load of units in person and found 3 different types, one of which is no longer being used. The launch era screens are super bright and colourful, they seem to have been using them to some extent up to the launch of Odyssey. From mid-2017 onwards though they've been using two other types, one of which is nowhere near as bright but still good (as long as you don't put it side by side with a launch one) and a second one which is just as dull and has an AWFUL yellow tint that is super noticeable. If you buy a Switch now it's pot luck if you get the decent screen or the atrocious yellow one, although the latter seems to be rarer.

Thankfully I managed to find a brand new Odyssey bundle with the launch screen and promptly snapped it up, I was holding on for a nicer special edition unit or price drop, but the difference is so noticeable that I just had to bite the bullet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Was reading up on screen differences and found this post over at Resetera. Not sure how valid it is but I do know that Nintendo is using different manufacturers for their screens

jfc Nintendo I know most of their users are 4-year-olds who won't notice but I really hate that they keep doing this

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to source different screens for the same device, especially with something with this large of a production run. I'd like to see some side by side pics before I crucify them for it though.

Actually what do I care I got a launch unit so everyone else can suck it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

American McGay posted:

this.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sounds like my next switch will be a refurbished one from Nintendo. Probably still first run with the best screen.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Reality Pisser posted:

World is definitely a better entry point but if you have either a lot of patience or an experienced friend to answer any and all questions, MHGU is really good too. MHGU is full of tedious things that can be overcome easily if you just know one weird trick, which the game doesn't really explain. World just cuts out those tedious things in the first place, which I expect most future monster hunters will do as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah after the big demand swell they likely had to farm orders to multiple vendors

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CuddlyZombie posted:

World is definitely a better entry point but if you have either a lot of patience or an experienced friend to answer any and all questions, MHGU is really good too. MHGU is full of tedious things that can be overcome easily if you just know one weird trick, which the game doesn't really explain. World just cuts out those tedious things in the first place, which I expect most future monster hunters will do as well.
What kind of game design principle is "let's make the player do a bunch of tedious busywork between the fun parts" anyway? Clearly that was deliberate in MH games before World.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You want to source as many things as possible from several different people so you don't have a situation where you can't build any more because the factory for one part burns down or something and your assembly line grinds to a halt. This is very common in manufacturing for items that have large production runs.

Sucks for people who think they can tell a difference because they tore apart some Switches and saw different branding on parts (or read about it on the Internet and are getting mad about it) but I don't see anyone complaining about this outside of very specific communities.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BattleMaster posted:

You want to source as many things as possible from several different people so you don't have a situation where you can't build any more because the factory for one part burns down or something and your assembly line grinds to a halt. This is very common in manufacturing for items that have large production runs.

Sucks for people who think they can tell a difference because they tore apart some Switches and saw different branding on parts (or read about it on the Internet and are getting mad about it) but I don't see anyone complaining about this outside of very specific communities.
This is going back like 10 years almost but there was a very prolific poster in the iPhone thread who ended up returning 6 or 7 different iPhones because the screen had a slightly warm (yellow) tint to it while everyone just laughed and watched in awe from the sidelines.

God bless you timb.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Arguably 4u is a better entry point than Gen, since Gen kinda drops you into it, and doesn't tell you that you don't have to do those hundreds of gathering quests that pop up. Also 4u is better about mixing up monster variety in its campaign vs Gen giving you all the Dromes first before you get anything interesting. That said, Gen does have lots of things to hunt (including most of 4u's cool monsters) and collect once you get there, and I like its armor/weapon variety better than World's. But yeah, World is the easiest one to start in.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

What kind of game design principle is "let's make the player do a bunch of tedious busywork between the fun parts" anyway? Clearly that was deliberate in MH games before World.

its so you learn the maps and where all the resources are so that when you start fighting monsters and crafting equipment you've already got the basic materials you need

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, for pacing it's important to have moments of calm between the highs of excitement, or else players will be worn out. Earlier MH games just did it in a less good way than world does it, where you gather tracks and stuff instead.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Allarion posted:

Arguably 4u is a better entry point than Gen, since Gen kinda drops you into it, and doesn't tell you that you don't have to do those hundreds of gathering quests that pop up. Also 4u is better about mixing up monster variety in its campaign vs Gen giving you all the Dromes first before you get anything interesting. That said, Gen does have lots of things to hunt (including most of 4u's cool monsters) and collect once you get there, and I like its armor/weapon variety better than World's. But yeah, World is the easiest one to start in.

Yeah as far as entry points go I'd say World > 4U > GenU, but as far as game quality goes they're all really loving good. I started with 3 but bounced off, fell in love with 3U, fell in double love with 4U, was lukewarm on gen but loved XX/GU, and am a little lukewarm on World but still think it's a fantastic game. (I think I just like having a g-rank in a game, that's the deciding factor from great to great+ :v: )

Edit: Actually, the reason I was lukewarm about World is because I was upset about XX/GU not coming to the West! But that's fixed now! So I guess it's just residual negative first impressions, World really is a fantastic and amazing game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

also it amounts to like a fraction of 1% of the total time most people spend playing any given monster hunter game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1034923655225135104?s=19

OMG if they were going to make Funko Pop monsters they sure as hell picked the perfect ones

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1034923655225135104?s=19

OMG if they were going to make Funko Pop monsters they sure as hell picked the perfect ones

Funko Pops Switch release confirmed

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess I missed a bunch of game announcements. So it seems Into the Breach is now available and Wasteland 2 is out in two weeks? Is Wasteland 2 going to get a physical release or is it digital only? As a fan of Fallout, is it a no-brainer?

...I can't wait to be a goose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy Goodbody posted:

Funko Pops Switch release confirmed

Lol wrong thread

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
All Hail the Wii U:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyB9E2zEFBA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

American McGay posted:

It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to source different screens for the same device, especially with something with this large of a production run. I'd like to see some side by side pics before I crucify them for it though.

I'm still salty over my 3DS XL having one white screen and one piss-yellow screen so I kind of figure it's that all over again but maybe not. I guess it may not be as bad without two screens to compare against each other.

I think the screen on my launch-ish Switch is really nice so it'd be a shame if people got dingy ones just because Nintendo outsourced to different manufacturers and didn't maintain a good standard

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 30, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

As a fan of Fallout, is it a no-brainer?
At launch the PC version was a bit messy with some terrible design decisions. The devs listened tho and released a substantial patch at the same time as the PS4 version launched. At least in my case it ironed out any complaints I had.
Personally I freaking love it, but there are plenty of people who were disappointed even after the patch. I think I actually might prefer the setting to Fallout since it feels more grounded and realistic. Instead of just living in squalor people have actually tried to rebuild society. At least as much as they can with mutated animals, raiders and robots all over the place.
It should be noted that I have no idea how it plays with a gamepad but hopefully it has touchscreen support. There's also the question of performance. I know the PS4 struggled with it at launch.
Either way I'm fairly confident that I'll double dip and get it on day one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Why does my Switch require a password for the American eShop but not the Japanese eShop?

Also, is there any way I can switch eShop regions between users? I'd like my son to have access to the Japanese shop by default and myself to have access to the American eShop by default.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think you can change the region after the account is created. The simple solution I did was just make a new account lying about being Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Can someone give me the scoop on Into The Breach? Seen a lot of people talk about it and say they like it but still not entirely sure what it is. It's a tactical strategy game, I get that much, but what is the gameplay like? It is roguelike-esque, it seems? But is it more like X-Com (lots of variation in % for all moves, success means careful, conservative play plus more than a bit of luck) or more like Mario Rabbids (i.e., battles are almost more puzzle-like than not, requiring the right set of moves in order) or more like Advance Wars (uhh it's been forever since I played this but iirc Advance Wars had a very rochambo-y gameplay loop)?

I love FF Tactics, I remember enjoying Advance Wars, I enjoy but am not in love with X-Com, and Mario Rabbids was enjoyable but I lost interest at some point. Wondering if Breach is right for me.

• Locked thread