Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Pooncha posted:

If you have energy issues and don't have Zenurik or pizzas, hit up a friendly neighbourhood goon for a copy of Rage or Hunter Adrenaline. Those two mods convert a portion of health damage you take into energy, which makes it a nice fit for tanky frames that have a relatively easy way of restoring health (e.g. Oberon, Nidus, Inaros).

Thinking about dropping armored agility to put rage on my Atlas, to go with adrenaline. Pain in the rear end trying to keep up energy with energy leech eximus being as common as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
How I'm building my frames now is basically this:

Does the frame benefit or have good innate armor? Put 3 Umbral mods on it, no extra shields.

Does the frame have low armor? Put health and shields on it.

I'm not a fan of going super low health/shields on frames. Yes, you can squeeze out some extra effectiveness from your abilities, but you also die real quick. Being dead is less effective.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Dahbadu posted:

Does the frame benefit or have good innate armor? Put 3 Umbral mods on it, no extra shields.

I'm not a fan of going super low health/shields on frames. Yes, you can squeeze out some extra effectiveness from your abilities, but you also die real quick. Being dead is less effective.

This always makes me laugh when running ESO, and a Saryn or Volt will die 10 times a wave, because they came in with no ehp mods of any kind on.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dravs posted:

100 times this. Quite a few times I've been told to build a certain way without those people realising that I just don't have access to the same pool of resources they do. I don't have arcanes which give me health regen, or mods that improve certain abilities.

Do keep asking, though. You and everyone. Some people are smug assholes about having every mod and they should just be ignored but for the majority of people trying to help out we don't know what you don't have, so sometimes it's a bit of a process like "I want to make x better," -> someone posts a build -> "I don't have mods a,b,c" and they update the build and eventually you get there.

for example, somebody wanted a good soma prime last night and we got that going eventually. like somebody suggested bladed rounds, they don't have it, alternatives were given, a couple good builds were shown, hopefully they're off to deliver slash procs like nobody's business.

it may also be a case of seeing a really good build and having something to aim for, knowing you can only improve your current one as you get the new mods and slot them in. Some weapons/frames really do have a floor of things you need for them not to suck, unfortunately.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hobold posted:

This always makes me laugh when running ESO, and a Saryn or Volt will die 10 times a wave, because they came in with no ehp mods of any kind on.

To be fair - ideal Saryn and Volt builds for ESO are basically glass cannons that rely on Trinity's Bless or Octavia keeping them invis to keep them alive....and there is nothing wrong with that assuming there is an octavia/trinity in the group.

A good ESO run is not a solo effort.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

I've found vitality or quick thinking plus medi-ray or life strike is enough for most frames.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

FileNotFound posted:

To be fair - ideal Saryn and Volt builds for ESO are basically glass cannons that rely on Trinity's Bless or Octavia keeping them invis to keep them alive....and there is nothing wrong with that assuming there is an octavia/trinity in the group.

A good ESO run is not a solo effort.

Oh, I agree, I just find it amusing. Especially so when one of the Saryn that can't stay alive to save their lives, bitches because someone else got a revive before them, and accuses them of 'not even pulling their weight'.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hoobajoo posted:

I've found vitality or quick thinking plus medi-ray or life strike is enough for most frames.

yeah I don't put in more than vitality these days, and I always have mediray. combine that with arcane guardian and the whatever magus (?) arcane so I can double tap 5 and I have a 75% chance of getting 200 health back and my frames are a lot more durable than they look.

it is kind of nice how you have more options for survivability as you go and that gives you more flexibility for your frames. makes repeatedly putting forma in something and resetting it to zero less and less of a chore. that might even be by design! :v:

now when I had none of those things, was vitality and an armor mod my automatic first two slotted mods? you bet they were

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The junction stuff is hilariously easy if you happen to have an Excalibur Prime because you played the game a bit at launch. That Exalted Blade or whatever just shits out damage like there's no tomorrow.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Hobold posted:

Oh, I agree, I just find it amusing. Especially so when one of the Saryn that can't stay alive to save their lives, bitches because someone else got a revive before them, and accuses them of 'not even pulling their weight'.

Speaking of Saryn survivability, is there a trick to the Grineer conveyor belt zone in OS? That one in particular always kicks my rear end

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Pendent posted:

The junction stuff is hilariously easy if you happen to have an Excalibur Prime because you played the game a bit at launch. That Exalted Blade or whatever just shits out damage like there's no tomorrow.

Alternatively, Frost is able to absolutely lock down the junction specters.

Might be a bit more accessible

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

Doesn't need to be Prime. Normal Excalibur does that. OTOH it's easier to use his Radial Blind to just backstab the enemy with a huge weapon once.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Shields definitely still have their place and like Tei and others have pointed out buffing out shields and health is very likely the best thing you can do to increase survivability early on. Especially sub level 25 or 30 content enemies aren't making GBS threads out the big numbers that you want armor to counter, their slash and toxin procs aren't anywhere near as potentially devastating. So having a big pool of regenerating shields is quite nice.

But being able to heal your own health is a lot stronger in the long run. Early on definitely do not feel bad about buffing out shields whenever everyone is mentioning other survivability weapons. Early options for easy reliable healing include the augment for the Furis, any syndicate weapon or weapon with a syndicate mod that heals on proc (check the wiki, two syndicates should do this iirc), Healing Return and Life Strike, not the quickest to farm but goons might have extra in clan/alliance chat. The Hirudo is an MR 7 fist weapon with a 3x crit mulitplier that has innate life strike, healing you for % damage on crits. Most people use pizzas/restore plate consumables for energy, but health and ammo varieties also exist. Later on you can start doing Eidolons and, aside from there being a frame arcane or two that can help here, you can also pick up Magus Elevate which at max level has a 75% chance to heal your warframe for 200 health every time you press 5. At this point Magus Elevate is far more than enough healing for me, toss a bunch of armor or the umbral mods with frames who have armor and health and toss quick thinking on frames with low health and large energy pools.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Solution to survivability issues: just play Trinity! :sparkles:

Also man I really need to get a Medi-Ray

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

Alternatively, Frost is able to absolutely lock down the junction specters.

Might be a bit more accessible

Valkyr's 4 makes a sorry joke of the later ones.

Well, it would, by that point you're past Jupiter, so it should, too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've only been playing a month, but here is my advice for new players.

Level redirection while your new and don't have any better mods to put in it's place, but don't waste your endo maxing it, do max vitality.

Learn what dragon keys are and get the blueprints from a clan hall and do vault runs in clan or recruit chat with 3 other people, fill out your corrupted warframe mods for handy stuff like fleeting expertise/narrow minded/overextended, sell duplicates for platinum.

Bum mods like streamline/hell's chamber/flow/continuity/stretch/thief's wit/chilling reload/auras from friends or clan members, they fit into almost every build, only are worth 2-6 plat on the market and people probably got multiples of them sitting around from randomly picking them up doing other things.

Get a main killy weapon and level MR fodder stuff constantly as you play and swap them out for another when they hit 30, always have something cooking if you can, once you reach the index on neptune with a halfway decent gun you can get 200k credits in 10 minutes which is huge when your struggling for every 30k credit purchase early on.

Shotgun damage mods cost less endo/credits to fully max out then rifles and pistols and aren't defined by incredibly rare mods.

And a last tip is when you learn what codex scanners are, occasionally scan plants you come across, especially on earth, it will save you a lot of time much later if you want titania.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And a last tip is when you learn what codex scanners are, occasionally scan plants you come across, especially on earth, it will save you a lot of time much later if you want titania.

This. Helios helps too. Biggest issue is the day/night specific plants on earth. By the time you've got a scanner, you're past earth and have to make trips back specifically for them.

e; Helios comes from the tenno lab in the dojo, so its not something that is difficult to get for newer players.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tei posted:

On a caster frame, I almost have no other option than to take the energy regen aura. Where veterans have leveled operator schools that give them passive regen, or a active regen by doing a blink with the operator. Or other stuff that give them energy regen.

Go to the clan, then the energy lab. Buy the
Squad Energy Restore (Medium) x10 blueprint. 250,000 credits, and well worth every penny.

Load it into your equipment wheel, and whenever you run out of energy during a mission, drop one. It will also jelp you feel useful on missions where you can't really help other than by refuelling the energy of a nearby killframe.

E: I know generally speaking shields are poo poo, but it is possible for certain frames like Volt to do OK with a fully levelled Redirection, an Augur set mod or two and a decent Taxon setup to keep the shields constantly coming back up.

Augur Message, Secrets & Reach are quite nice because they give you a reasonable boost to duration, power and range respectively, but have the secondary effect of stacking overshield. So if you're using Rhino while his iron skin is up, any charging, stomping or roaring you do charges your shield up to 2k without having to use up a slot on Redirection.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 29, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can also get the large blueprint as an early syndicate reward.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

njsykora posted:

You can also get the large blueprint as an early syndicate reward.

Large energy only comes from Suda I believe?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hobold posted:

There are health and energy blueprints on both sides, Suda only has the shield pizza which is pretty much useless compared to the ammo pizza Red Veil have on the other side.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hobold posted:

Perrin Sequence.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Hobold posted:

suda gives shields, which are awful. energy comes from perrin sequence and arbites of hexis

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Any of the Red Veil weapons worth getting besides for MR fodder? I have enough to get one but I plan on tanking my rep with them to level up Suda/Harbs.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Malkof posted:

Any of the Red Veil weapons worth getting besides for MR fodder? I have enough to get one but I plan on tanking my rep with them to level up Suda/Harbs.

I really liked the Rakta Ballistica a few years back, but I have no idea if it's been nerfed/buffed since then.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Dark dagger is a great covert lethality / Ash funtimes dagger. Cernos is a noice fast charge bow.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Got an Astilla Riven a while back, finally crafted the Astilla. It's not bad, needs a few formas but it's a literal glass cannon: it shoots exploding glass slugs.

My riven is (if I'm not mistaken) +115% crit and +105% Elec so like... pretty drat good. I can go full crit with either corrosive or viral as a backup? Plus a bunch of slash innately? Yes, please.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

njsykora posted:

There are health and energy blueprints on both sides, Suda only has the shield pizza which is pretty much useless compared to the ammo pizza Red Veil have on the other side.

Right side is the best side

(and the at least the least creepy side)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

gaj70 posted:

Right side is the best side

(and the at least the least creepy side)

I think you got your sides confused, I think you clearly mean the left side.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Left side is "Hey we have the Vaykor Hek!" and that's about it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cephalon Suda is a nice lady.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I guess it all depends on who you think is creepier, Hexis or Veil. Veil is the kind of creepy that unironically wears shirts from tshirthell.com and writes "piss bitches" in all their textbooks, while Hexis is the kind of creepy that mostly keeps to themselves but also keeps a freezer full of heads in their basement. Which is worse? Depends on which side of the freezer door you're on, I guess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

I guess it all depends on who you think is creepier, Hexis or Veil. Veil is the kind of creepy that unironically wears shirts from tshirthell.com and writes "piss bitches" in all their textbooks, while Hexis is the kind of creepy that mostly keeps to themselves but also keeps a freezer full of heads in their basement. Which is worse? Depends on which side of the freezer door you're on, I guess.

Eh, they’re just Tenno scene kids compensating for a quiet existential crisis with great big silly helmets and millimetre-perfect meditation stances. Like, seriously, what do they do other than sit in that room all day looking imposing?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

But, also, you should check out Veil's basement, they're working on a torture rack and it's both extremely ironic and also extremely not ironic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Octavia's Anthem made me agree.

I still went right side because it's more in demand, but she deserves a hug.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Dravs posted:

100 times this. Quite a few times I've been told to build a certain way without those people realising that I just don't have access to the same pool of resources they do. I don't have arcanes which give me health regen, or mods that improve certain abilities.

Until a couple of days ago I also had no way to regen energy myself, and only today I have bought some of the corrupted mods off the market. I don't even have a maxed vitality, I just don't have the endo to put into the mods yet.

I mean I don't have arcanes either but I do fine. Then again I took the early advice from Tallgeese to forma Nova Prime (this was before it was vaulted I think, or maybe right after and there was a kind goon that gave me the missing parts... I forget) and to invest focus into Zenurik, so almost everything is easy mode when I want it to be. Goons will shower you in mods if they aren't stupid expensive mods (See Argon Scope or something), and even then they may shower you in them. You can get starter pizza blueprints from the dojo if needed, though if you're leveling up factions pizza BPs are accessible pretty early. I always keep 40-50 of each pizza on hand, though chances are i'll eat through energy and HP pizza the most (HP from when poo poo gets through shields or poison, etc.). Corrupted mods though are a pain in the rear end to get though.

I mean, my Nova Prime Build:

All of that is pretty boilerplate color-inside-the-lines stuff, and it's not even optimized. No primed mods (you don't really need those, but they're fun), I have two level 1 arcanes slapped in there that were from two old trial/raids I ran (They hardly do anything as level 1s). The only two annoying things are, like you said, the corrupted mods in this build, and every build pretty much.

Dravs posted:

The progression of this game is actually very clever because getting the mods needed to make the frames and weapons truly powerful takes more than just platinum to buy your way into it; if you don't know exactly what you are doing with your resources your builds will just be poo poo regardless.

Goons realized this early on afaik. However, it used to be -moreso- a problem. Planetary progression is now hackneyed with the progression requirements and the gates, sure, but otherwise the game has become more accessible than ever. More rare resources drop. There's better content available for grinding that isn't completely mind numbing. I'd also say that there's a wider variety of powerful-yet-not-so-rare mods available now. And the frame choices are better too. While what you say is true... it used to be much much more true (back in my day...), and it took a lot of goon handholding to get through that poo poo.

Also Trials/Raid missions. Herding loving cats. I mean getting 8 goons in place on all the buttons for puzzles was sometimes hilarious over comms when people would keep loving it up and the Trial/Raid leader would want to kill themselves. Now you can get arcanes from Teralysts, And Hydrolysts, and Gantulysts. That poo poo is way easier (and cooler) than Trials/Raids were.

I don't remember where I was going with this, but...

Psion posted:

Do keep asking, though. You and everyone. Some people are smug assholes about having every mod and they should just be ignored but for the majority of people trying to help out we don't know what you don't have, so sometimes it's a bit of a process like "I want to make x better," -> someone posts a build -> "I don't have mods a,b,c" and they update the build and eventually you get there.

^^^^ I can't build for poo poo but y'know there's basics to follow. You do need Endo though... that's a big bottleneck for new players imo. Credits are easy because Index (Index wasn't always a thing, and Index also used to be worse). Some people might have some ideas on easy grind for Endo, but: Do the statue missions weekly (and get a frame that does the obstacle courses easily, though you'll learn them in time). Do the daily Sorties; Often my rewards come up as 4000 endo, and that adds up. If for some reason people can't do sorties, try to group up with goons. And never feel bad about asking for free stuff from goons.

That said... I've been running sorties and tera/gant/hydrolyst with pubbies lately, and miraculously I've had very few problems, and I'm not doing a full carry or anything either (I'm bad at this game).

So I guess the TL;DR is the newbie bottleneck, aside form the hackneyed planet progression, is endo and corrupted mods.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Psycho Landlord posted:

I really liked the Rakta Ballistica a few years back, but I have no idea if it's been nerfed/buffed since then.
Rakta weapons give you energy when you fill their super meter thing so if you're an energy starved newbie and that's as big of a deal as the last couple pages seem to suggest, that's something to consider.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Gonkish posted:

Got an Astilla Riven a while back, finally crafted the Astilla. It's not bad, needs a few formas but it's a literal glass cannon: it shoots exploding glass slugs.

My riven is (if I'm not mistaken) +115% crit and +105% Elec so like... pretty drat good. I can go full crit with either corrosive or viral as a backup? Plus a bunch of slash innately? Yes, please.

'Sup, Astilla Riven buddy? One thing I've found that makes the Astilla really shine is punch-through. It's splash damage can be partially blocked by whatever it hits, so if you shoot the first target in a column of enemies, that first enemy is the only one that will take damage. Now, if you put a hole in him and make the slug explode on his friend BEHIND him, well! Now you're in business. Plus, if you've got that extra crit (cirt chance or crit damage?), go ahead and slap Hunter Munitions in there any anything that isn't killed by the initial volley will bleed out shortly after.

I unlocked Khora a few weeks ago, got her to 30 for MR, and never really touched her again until recently. Holy CRAP I've been missing out - Whipclaw is the most stupidly OP melee-ish move in the game, AND it synergizes with Rivens (Why, hello there Mr. Shaku-with- +178% damage, +89 cold, I think I'll bring you along!) I've also got a Jaw sword Riven that I haven't rerolled that I might experiment with - if I can get a +melee damage on it, then I can also drop in another +100 melee damage with the syndicate mod.
And holy BALLS but Strangledome is awesome in any kind of defensive mission. When I saw other players using it, I didn't realize it was dealing DOT to the enemies that became caught in it, so I just thought it was an annoying way to ragdoll enemies. PLUS you can drop multiple strangledomes over the map, so all you have to do is find a choke point or two and all of a sudden there just aren't any enemies anymore because they all decided to run headfirst into my deathtraps. It makes Kuva Survival an absolute joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think there's any actual lore for hexis whatsoever so i don't know where people the idea that they're creepy

in the grand scheme of things the left side is a lot less weird than 'lovely earth nazis, creepy murder cult, and 'ethical capitalism' whatever the gently caress that means'