Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

poemdexter posted:

I assume any javascript book published is instantly outdated because javascript suffers heavily from flavor of the month libraries. I also assume no one writes pure javascript any more either.

It's not a real Javascript book if it doesn't come with DRM that bricks it the second someone quoted there gets angry and ragequits the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Javascript the good parts, new edition, in its entirety:

quote:

transpilers from usable languages exist

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Huh, could've sworn there were second and third editions, but nope! Still just the 2008 version. Good thing the industry/field is so slow to change, I guess.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Senior architect at PayPal

lol they're still paying him to jerk off in the corner. I bet they require everyone to use his inferior linter internally, too, to help justify it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nope! It just gets silently truncated! :shepface:
Ah, so on top of everything, MySQL <=5.6

That or somebody intentionally disabled strict mode, probably to get rid of thousands of warnings. Turn it back on to embrace true horror, or find out it really does truncate silently.

Unrelated:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

unfortunately, they actually don't

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ranzear posted:

Unrelated:

FYI: WebUSB is a thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Let me tell u about NodeOS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrMoo posted:

Abstract posted:

This document describes an API for securely providing access to Universal Serial Bus devices from web pages.

On a scale of 1 to 11, how bullshit is this?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's really secure right up until the user hits "yes".

Webcam, microphone, and storage media are already securely accessible from web pages. It's not quite as insane as it sounds, and they propose similar security mechanisms.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Let me tell u about NodeOS

Appears to be a Linux kernel with the init process being node, a bit weak sauce really, much like monowall runs PHP as the init process.

Google are the ones pushing for webUSB: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/03/access-usb-devices-on-the-web

Apart from the cute Arduino integration they point towards authentication, i.e. replacing crusty Gemalto junk. I would approve on that front.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 27, 2018

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not a real Javascript book if it doesn't come with DRM that bricks it the second someone quoted there gets angry and ragequits the project.

is this a reference to something? sounds hilarious.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is this a reference to something? sounds hilarious.

isnt that leftpad, just w/o the drm bits

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

java script: The Good Parts is very out-of-date now. I wouldn't recommend it.
over time the good parts have gotten narrower

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isnt that leftpad, just w/o the drm bits

You need some kind of DRM, otherwise books usually don't brick. :v:

comedyblissoption posted:

What's left?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You need some kind of DRM, otherwise books usually don't brick. :v:

What's left?

A soother (pacifier).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Huh, actually, none of that seems too out of line to me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

They're definitely in line with how I prefer to do JS. The book was also fine in its day and still has good points. There's a perfectly fine little functional language hiding in the bloated beast of JS. With a bit of discipline you can avoid most of the gotchas. Of course it would be better if the language didn't have those gotchas, but oh well.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Plus, the automated tools for catching those gotchas are getting better every year. Get ESLint and crank the settings up, or just get a well-regarded canned configuration for it, and the amount of discipline needed becomes minimal.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

I still use "new" / "this" and "null", but then again I also use TypeScript which has incredible amounts of safety around those features.

poemdexter posted:

I assume any javascript book published is instantly outdated because javascript suffers heavily from flavor of the month libraries. I also assume no one writes pure javascript any more either.

If by "pure JavaScript" you mean "raw DOM up the rear end, no helper libraries", then I do that and enjoy it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:distonk:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What do Front-End Web

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

An insane security disaster waiting to happen posted:

If a device is compromised then in addition to abusing its own capabilities the attacker may also use it to in turn attack the host to which it is connected or if the exploit is persistent any host it is connected to later. The methods above are the ways in which this specification attempts to mitigate this attack vector for once the device is under the control of an attacker (for example, by uploading a malicious firmware image) there is nothing that can be done by the UA to prevent further damage.

This specification recommends device manufacturers practice defense in depth by designing their devices to only accept signed firmware updates and/or require physical access to the device in order to apply some configuration changes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

... is he wearing a morning coat? :wotwot:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
He's clearly conducting an orchestra.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

MrMoo posted:

that's about as useful as writing a browser that runs in webassembly.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I noticed that Chrome OS also supports JavaScript USB drivers minus the web bit.

Consider there are a fair number of long life devices that could work well in this scope: security keys, CNC machines, electron microscopes and similar. Think of all the junk Windows 95 and aged equipment people are keeping purely because lovely software and drivers don't exist on even near modern systems.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 29, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrMoo posted:

I noticed that Chrome OS also supports JavaScript USB drivers minus the web bit.

Consider there are a fair number of long life devices that could work well in this scope: security keys, CNC machines, electron microscopes and similar. Think of all the junk Windows 95 and aged equipment people are keeping purely because lovely software and drivers don't exist on even near modern systems.

Ok, but who's going to bother to adapt their drivers to that webusb spec if no one could be bothered to update said drivers to run on like Vista or some kind of Linux?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's more of a selling point for new hardware. The existing equipment you are probably better off finding an investigative engineer to reverse engineer a webUSB driver.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrMoo posted:

It's more of a selling point for new hardware. The existing equipment you are probably better off finding an investigative engineer to reverse engineer a webUSB driver.

And why should we expect the WebUSB driver interface to not end up changing enough that your driver shipped with the device now won't require an old browser to still work in 20 years? I'm not seeing anything in it that'll be inherently amenable to long term compatibility.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

USB interface is well defined and a significant implementation base, the comparison is older proprietary interfaces and junk that may no longer be in production or has significant limitations on integration: such as lack of plug-and-play with most legacy interfaces.

It's guaranteed that USB will be replaced some day but it's not like something that will be inherently lost and already has proven connect integration such as USB over ethernet or Thunderbolt & Lightning.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrMoo posted:

USB interface is well defined and a significant implementation base, the comparison is older proprietary interfaces and junk that may no longer be in production or has significant limitations on integration: such as lack of plug-and-play with most legacy interfaces.

It's guaranteed that USB will be replaced some day but it's not like something that will be inherently lost and already has proven connect integration such as USB over ethernet or Thunderbolt & Lightning.

Most of the old devices with missing drivers were on standard ports too - RS-232 or 422 serial, the same parallel standards as printers, and hell many are in fact USB.

This tells you nothing about whether you'll be able to make the device do what it's supposed to do in the future, just like this old digital camera with USB port I have doesn't function past Windows XP.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The bigger challenge is when the HID and layers above change, that's when all the old cameras died as USB file access became a standard and you no longer required drivers. The typical Chinese vendor would have written to one driver interface in 32-bit code that is now incompatible with 64-bit platforms and newer interfaces.

You can follow the progress with Vulkan, Metal, DirectX for what can happen when things are going well, many developers are creating compatibility layers and libraries so stuff works together and you don't have the gigantic cost of a full OpenGL stack. If HID layers above USB change then there will likely be teams of developers creating compatibility layers to keep all the legacy interfaces still running.

Serial devices are hard to keep running because of the synchronous clock, that hasn't prevented people trying with the 1001 USB-RS232 adapters and similar. Now that everything supports asynchronous communication to some degree keeping that compatibility is significantly easier.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 29, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mattblaze/status/1034844783691190272

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I also want a data structure way of life. I lounge in the shade of a binary search tree.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm a heap.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

CPColin posted:

I'm a heap.

I'm a stack.

This is awkward.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm a queue.

Don't ask.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
With FIFO and LIFO taken, I'm an octree with two spatial dimensions and one temporal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m a dictionary implemented as a linked list of linked lists each of length 2