Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

minya posted:

Can someone give me the scoop on Into The Breach? Seen a lot of people talk about it and say they like it but still not entirely sure what it is. It's a tactical strategy game, I get that much, but what is the gameplay like? It is roguelike-esque, it seems? But is it more like X-Com (lots of variation in % for all moves, success means careful, conservative play plus more than a bit of luck) or more like Mario Rabbids (i.e., battles are almost more puzzle-like than not, requiring the right set of moves in order) or more like Advance Wars (uhh it's been forever since I played this but iirc Advance Wars had a very rochambo-y gameplay loop)?

I love FF Tactics, I remember enjoying Advance Wars, I enjoy but am not in love with X-Com, and Mario Rabbids was enjoyable but I lost interest at some point. Wondering if Breach is right for me.

Its a roguelite srpg where the battles are much more of a chess puzzle than other games in the genre. Watch a quicklook on yt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Weeeeelp, Nintendo Switch emulation is now a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrMbiPO7jxU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Cool. Not gonna change anything considering, you know, it can't really emulate the Switch experience.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

minya posted:

Can someone give me the scoop on Into The Breach? Seen a lot of people talk about it and say they like it but still not entirely sure what it is. It's a tactical strategy game, I get that much, but what is the gameplay like? It is roguelike-esque, it seems? But is it more like X-Com (lots of variation in % for all moves, success means careful, conservative play plus more than a bit of luck) or more like Mario Rabbids (i.e., battles are almost more puzzle-like than not, requiring the right set of moves in order) or more like Advance Wars (uhh it's been forever since I played this but iirc Advance Wars had a very rochambo-y gameplay loop)?

I love FF Tactics, I remember enjoying Advance Wars, I enjoy but am not in love with X-Com, and Mario Rabbids was enjoyable but I lost interest at some point. Wondering if Breach is right for me.

Unlike X-com and many other tactics games there's no RNG involved in attacks so outcomes are highly predictable. This predictability is important because the game is heavily built around it. You can see what enemies are going to do during their next turn and you can do things like force them to move so their attacks miss their target or hit a less-valuable target or hit an enemy. Every mission requires you to hold out for a number of turns so you have to do things like divert attacks away from the buildings you're defending or even take the attacks on purpose so the buildings stay safe. Once per mission (or more with certain bonuses) you can revert a turn to the beginning in case things didn't play out the way you hoped.

The missions you can pick from, the contents of the missions, and the maps they take place on are all randomized every playthrough as are the rewards and things you can buy from the shop. You are given some information about what enemies you will encounter.

Gameplay wise it's far more like a tactics-themed puzzle game because a lot of missions you won't be able to kill all the enemies and need to stop and think about how you can mitigate the damage as much as possible. Most units have abilities that are designed to move enemies or mitigate attacks in some way, and you have to think about which targets you will use them on and in which order to get the best possible outcome. However unlike Rabbids you only have one shot at a mission (aside from rolling back turns) but losing a mission doesn't cost you the game - you only lose when you lose too many buildings.

When a run ends in success or failure you can pick a surviving pilot to send back in time to start your next run, or you can start with a fresh version of any of the pilots you have unlocked. Completing specific challenges for each squad gives you points that are used to unlock new squads. Any mechs that belong to any squads you've unlocked can be mixed and matched in a custom squad.

The starting squad is the most basic but solid and easy to use squad in the game, so even if you find yourself beating the game after only a few attempts you should keep in mind that the unlockable squads are actually not better like you'd expect but different and potentially more challenging to use. The replay value comes from learning the quirks of the unlockable squads and completing their challenges so you can unlock more squads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Cool. Not gonna change anything considering, you know, it can't really emulate the Switch experience.

~the switch experience ~

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Emulation is actually a really good thing for preservation of games. There are going to be people who use it for piracy but in a few decades it's potentially going to be the only economic or readily available way to play some of its games.

Or it would be if we weren't all going to be dead by then but whatever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What if you put it on an Nvidia Shield

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why not? You can use joycons with the PC, I believe. (Steam keeps having patch notes about it.)

What part of the experience would be missing?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pulling it out of the dock and continuing while you take a dump.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

baram. posted:

:yeah:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Subjunctive posted:

Why not? You can use joycons with the PC, I believe. (Steam keeps having patch notes about it.)

What part of the experience would be missing?

The joycons show as separate 1 stick controllers. They only kind of work through brute forcing with the mayflash adapter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bushisms.txt posted:

The joycons show as separate 1 stick controllers. They only kind of work through brute forcing with the mayflash adapter.

Well that’s disappointing.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

baram. posted:

This is the best thing until you accidently drop it into the toilet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, but you can use the pro controller natively in steam and it even lights up the light ring around the home button unlike the Switch.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Looks neat but I think I'll wait for it to be on the Switch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Switch emulation would be perfect for the Switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't wait to emulate the switch on the gpd win

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Give me the homebrew that lets me use ppsspp on the switch

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Looks even better than on the Switch docked mode

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
What are my options for buying things on the eshop across regions?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You can make an account on your console from another region and buy stuff there, and it will just work even if you are playing on your usual account so long as the other account is still on/activated for the console. You can try your card and sometimes it will work depending on what region, if it doesn't work you'll have to buy a foreign eshop card or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Reality Pisser posted:

What are my options for buying things on the eshop across regions?

You have to have a credit card for that region, or add money to your account in that region by purchasing a code from that region. I think you can get around this in the 3DS. Pretty sure someone mentioned they were able to use their US credit card to purchase credit or something in the Japanese eshop on their 3DS and then buy things on Switch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Emulation is good. Especially in the as digital games become the norm.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dragalia Lost looks like it could be a fun little mobile game if it controls well. Action RPG coop on my phone sounds like it could be good.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Dragalia Lost looks like it could be a fun little mobile game if it controls well. Action RPG coop on my phone sounds like it could be good.

Yeah, looks cool. I don't even know of any other phone games with multiplayer like that. The controls look good going by the direct, but I'm mostly interested in the gacha. Like, will it be total abject poo poo or will it somehow manage to walk the line and be tolerable.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Game looks like it has 3 or 4 gachas and 3 or 4 in-game currencies. Seems like it'll probably end up on the side of "total mess" but who knows. The game looks neat but I wish it were just a 3DS title or something with no gacha elements at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It depends. Cygames has been more generous than most, especially as of late, but that's mostly down to granblue being so popular and set in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FPzero posted:

Game looks like it has 3 or 4 gachas and 3 or 4 in-game currencies. Seems like it'll probably end up on the side of "total mess" but who knows. The game looks neat but I wish it were just a 3DS title or something with no gacha elements at all.

Oh it's gonna have a lot of gachas but they are masters at balancing this poo poo

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Oh it's gonna have a lot of gachas but they are masters at balancing this poo poo

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic, but going by Nintendo's other gacha game, I doubt it will be too horrible. Games that bleed the whales dry while everyone else gets frustrated and quits don't tend to last very long.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The thing I like most about Into the Breach is how it feels like a board game. Small, controlled environments + predictable enemy turns + tightly designed mecha squads + constant arrival of new threats = coop board game feel. Every turn is an optimization puzzle to correctly triage the entire board.

I like strategy games in the FFT / Fire Emblem / Advance Wars mold but ItB is different from them in a way that's hard to articulate other than 'board game feel'

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How well does Into The Breach control on Switch?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

THE loving MOON posted:

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic, but going by Nintendo's other gacha game, I doubt it will be too horrible. Games that bleed the whales dry while everyone else gets frustrated and quits don't tend to last very long.

From what I know, FE Heroes is pretty harsh to new players. You really need those 5-star units to compete after a while, which means either tons of grinding or playing the gacha. They give lots of free pulls and login bonuses, but you're still rolling a lot. I feel like I'd have no chance of competing if I started playing the game today for the first time as I listen to my friends who've played the game for over a year describe how even with all their time investment they still have trouble with stuff.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

You have to have a credit card for that region, or add money to your account in that region by purchasing a code from that region. I think you can get around this in the 3DS. Pretty sure someone mentioned they were able to use their US credit card to purchase credit or something in the Japanese eshop on their 3DS and then buy things on Switch.

That only works if you have a 3DS that has access to that eshop.
Like, to add funds to a JP eshop account, that 3DS has to be able to access that JP account (because of region locking, you'd have to have a JP 3DS in this scenario).

Keito PMed me this useful advice:

quote:

If you create a PayPal Japan account you can use that with your credit cards regardless of what country they're issued from. It's a lot handier than having to charge fixed sums on an old gaming console, and works for PSN as well.

Just remember to disable PayPal's currency conversion unless your bank is so horrible they're giving you even worse rates.

Another goon offered to buy and trade eshop codes through Chinese(?) eshop straight up through Paypal, too.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

FPzero posted:

From what I know, FE Heroes is pretty harsh to new players. You really need those 5-star units to compete after a while, which means either tons of grinding or playing the gacha. They give lots of free pulls and login bonuses, but you're still rolling a lot. I feel like I'd have no chance of competing if I started playing the game today for the first time as I listen to my friends who've played the game for over a year describe how even with all their time investment they still have trouble with stuff.

There isn't really any competing to be done, and there's plenty of low level content. A new player would want to build a good stable over time yeah, but any unit can be boosted up to 5*'s trivially. Feathers (which you use to promote characters and are free and plentiful) are probably about as valuable as orbs (the actual gacha currency).

edit: Even whales have trouble with some of the newer stuff. I've played basically since launch and there's still a lot of content I haven't done. I'm not a whale though so :shrug:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

How well does Into The Breach control on Switch?

I think it controls mighty fine. Its like a combination between a mouse hovering but with the normal joystick to change tiles. I'm really digging the controls as a PC player of the game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not normally a screen protector guy but I wanted to bring my switch to places and make people play jackbox and mario kart

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
They smartly did not make it 'snap to grid' where you're moving tile by tile; it's a snappy, free-floating cursor. The board is small enough that I've never had a problem selecting exactly what I want. A button selects, weapons are shortcut bound to ZR / R, end turn with Y.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Does it have Gyro cursor control? More games should have that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I was really liking Toad's Treasure Tracker and then I tried to play it on the TV, and wow, that's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh no, definitely not, but it's awesome they've made this much progress. I honestly didn't think we'd see games being bootable for at least another year.

• Locked thread