Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theres also been tons of incidents of judges taking kickbacks from the private companies that operate prisone in exchange for the judge making sure that the prison is well stocked up on inmates since the company charges the government $X per prisoner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A century or two of people trying to get elected by being "tough on crime" will do that, especially when you have an entire industry that springs up out of jailing people or giving predatory loans to pay bail. Convicts aren't going to have any political pull, especially since they don't have the right to vote most places.

It's even supposedly built into the constitution to be reasonable about it all, but apparently people care more about Amendment 2 than 8.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

theres also been tons of incidents of judges taking kickbacks from the private companies that operate prisone in exchange for the judge making sure that the prison is well stocked up on inmates since the company charges the government $X per prisoner

the kickbacks are illegal of course but the companies or their executives just giving campaign donations to the judges is perfectly legal and aboveboard

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Best part is that we do it to kids. There are entire mega businesses dedicated to pressuring judges to convict young troubled youth so they can live the rest of their lives in prison acting as slave labor

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
amerikkka is a powder keg lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

the kind of people who want to treat causes instead of symptoms dont become judges
every judge is poo poo

can nato or someone invade america already for a peacekeeping operation?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
are crash teams of armed paramedics a william gibson invention? theyre in a bunch of cyberpunk stuff and im beginning to believe the super rich already have them

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
They've got them in the US, they're called the cops, and the prescription is a healthy dose of lead. Especially good coverage for the mentally ill.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BONE DOG posted:

Especially when the proprietor of this establishment has alluded to patrons being able to live out their darkest most violent fantasies with the dolls. I've been saying for a while that sex doll repairman is going to be a solid career choice pretty quick.

if the business owner has any common sense they're going to tack on a security deposit for each session, because if they don't, those dolls are gonna see some poo poo...

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Al! posted:

are crash teams of armed paramedics a william gibson invention? theyre in a bunch of cyberpunk stuff and im beginning to believe the super rich already have them

There is references to services like this in Mona Lisa Overdrive as I recall. But yeah Shadowrun springs to mind.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rookoo posted:

I suppose this fits into this thread better than any others, another case of me not understanding what the gently caress is going on with the US legal system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45335852

Fella looks like a grade A oval office and defrauded women of just over 900 bucks which is certainly enough to matter to people but the court has put him on a $315,000 bail and he might get over a decade in prison?!

I'm no lawyer but here in the UK he'd be put on a bail of Ł0 because it makes gently caress all sense to base bail around cash and he'd probably get community service. Where did the yanks get such a hard on for draconian sentences? There's countless videos/cases of judges barely being able to conceal their errections at handing over 200 year sentences or whatever as well. Just boggles my mind.

a) elected prosecutors, who have an incentive to convict as many people as possible, engage in high-profile prosecutions, and so on so that they can brag about conviction rates at the next election
b) it's usually a tactic to force a plea bargain. the prosecutor charges the the person with some absurdly overkill list of crimes that carries a ridiculously long sentence, and then offers a deal in which the prosecutor will reduce it to a more normal list of charges if the person agrees to plead guilty to those reduced charges. scaring someone into pleading guilty is a lot easier than actually taking them to trial, which boosts conviction rates and saves the prosecutor some effort

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Rookoo posted:

I mean, getting dine'd and dashed on isn't exactly assault. I admit i've never had it done to me but at my most vengeful i'd probably be satisfied with the guy having to pay me back the 100 or so bucks and, say, wasting 100 hours of his time making him pick up cans at the side of the road, not putting him in a fuckin' cage for years and making him unemployable.

I found a guy in my family tree who was basically a hobo & once went on a month long bender and broke into pantries all over the place (including a clergy home). He'd eat some food and drink whatever liqour was there, often in prodigous amounts. He was finally caught when he passed out inside one of the pantries.

Anyway, it was pretty interesting to read the statements from the witnesses/victims who literally all refrained from demanding damages (except a painter who wanted a "small white bottle" replaced but received it back as it had been found in the guy's pocket), and in some cases urging a mild sentence. He ended up getting 8 months for the series of break-ins.

This was 1902 in Denmark tho.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

I found a guy in my family tree who was basically a hobo & once went on a month long bender and broke into pantries all over the place (including a clergy home). He'd eat some food and drink whatever liqour was there, often in prodigous amounts. He was finally caught when he passed out inside one of the pantries.

Anyway, it was pretty interesting to read the statements from the witnesses/victims who literally all refrained from demanding damages (except a painter who wanted a "small white bottle" replaced but received it back as it had been found in the guy's pocket), and in some cases urging a mild sentence. He ended up getting 8 months for the series of break-ins.

This was 1902 in Denmark tho.

This is such a quaint story I love this guy. Everyone is just ja kristjan is a bit of a lush he's alright though

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

a) elected prosecutors, who have an incentive to convict as many people as possible, engage in high-profile prosecutions, and so on so that they can brag about conviction rates at the next election
b) it's usually a tactic to force a plea bargain. the prosecutor charges the the person with some absurdly overkill list of crimes that carries a ridiculously long sentence, and then offers a deal in which the prosecutor will reduce it to a more normal list of charges if the person agrees to plead guilty to those reduced charges. scaring someone into pleading guilty is a lot easier than actually taking them to trial, which boosts conviction rates and saves the prosecutor some effort

Also parasitic bail bonds services have caused bail amounts to increase 10 fold

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I remember seeing this video not long ago. http://www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/tns-judge-ehrlich.html pisses me off an absurd amount. Just a complete failure of a human being who should know better.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

BONE DOG posted:

This is such a quaint story I love this guy. Everyone is just ja kristjan is a bit of a lush he's alright though

Yeah :unsmith:

From the proceedings (my translation): "Presented with the fact that [on the night in question] he would have drank half a bottle of rum, a fifth of cognac, a liter of brandywine, and half a bottle of red wine, he answers that it is indeed a lot, but he does not doubt that he did it, seeing as how he had buzzing for several days and under such circumstances he can drink just about anything. However, he adds, it is not certain that all the bottles were full, and he may also have spilled some of their contents."

In some circles he was known as "The Terror of [City]", where he is supposed to have bitten the nose off another man sometime before 1896, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of that. In fact, no evidence that he's even been there.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Also parasitic bail bonds services have caused bail amounts to increase 10 fold

California just signed a bill for cash bail to be abolished next year...except they left judges with the discretion to detain prisoners until trial whenever they see fit. Whoops!

" Washington Post posted:

But the American Civil Liberties Union, among early supporters of the measure, says the law could do more harm than good. In the ACLU’s view, the law removes the option of bail without also restricting the detention power of judges, some of whom are elected. Even prosecutors acknowledge that judges might err on the side of caution, realizing that they will be more sharply criticized if a defendant commits a crime after being released than if a defendant is unfairly held in jail.

Under the law, judges must show “clear and convincing evidence” that a defendant is a flight or public-safety risk. Public defenders had wanted the option of pretrial detention limited to those charged with violent crimes.

“It does eliminate wealth-based detention decisions, which have long been a huge injustice in our system,” said Robin Lipetzky, the public defender here and president of the California Public Defenders Association. “But with so much power in the hands of judges, the worry is that they will default to business as usual.”

Bail is intended to allow the presumed innocent to remain free before trial while also ensuring that they show up for their hearings. The U.S. Constitution prohibits “excessive bail,” but critics of the system say judges rarely consider a defendant’s ability to pay it.

The result is often pretrial detention, even for those charged with nonviolent offenses. The ACLU says an estimated 450,000 people on any given day, or 70 percent of the nation’s jail population, are behind bars without having been convicted of a crime.

Class Warcraft has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Aug 30, 2018

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
America... is bad!?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Morphix posted:

I mean can't weirdos already gently caress dolls though? Like I'm sure somewhere in the world someone was hooking up a sony walkman and some vibrating motor in the 80s to a cabbage patch doll.

which kind of brings me to a question that was discussed on cumtown me thinks.

are child sex dolls bad? Is hurting your sex doll if it's an adult sex doll bad? Like obviously the person has some anger issues or weird sexual attractions to children if he's loving child sex dolls

But aside from chemical castration, what if this is the sexual outlet for this weirdo? As it seems nothing really works and the recidivism rates for sexual predators are apparently through the roof. We don't get mad at people if they destroy their own property, in fact some of us view it as a form of relaxation. Some people even pay to destroy property, like those silly car things where you pay a few bucks and wack away at a car, or the fancier version where you go into some room and smash glasses.

anyway...anyone have a good book or article that sort of explains some of the morality behind this? because like, obviously kid diddlers are evil people that destroy souls, but aside from just murdering them, what the gently caress do you do with them that could be considered moral I guess.

As far as I understand it, redecivism rates are that's high because the treatment mandated by the courts more often than not amounts to absolutely nothing, whereas those suffering from pedophiliac tendencies who haven't yet abused anyone can't really seek out preventive treatment because of mandatory reporting laws. In Germany there is a project called "Don't offend!" that offers a year's worth of therapy under complete confidentiality that is also covered by insurance. Because of the anonymity offered by the project it's hard for them to come up with any reliable statistics about redecivism rates, but out of 56 participants who reported back to the project six years after their treatment there had ended, only one had had sexual contact with a minor in the meantime, so there's that. Chemical castratation is also an optional part of this treatment if other sorts of therapy don't help, btw. So far it seems like the best thing we have in terms of treatment for pedophiles.

No idea about the morality of child sex dolls, though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HERE’S HOW MUCH TIME YOU’LL WASTE COMMUTING IN YOUR LIFETIME (BY CITY)

quote:

Have you ever stopped to think that over the course of your lifetime, you will likely spend hundreds of days commuting back and forth from home and work? If not, we've got a great map that's sure to make you question what you're doing with your life. The good folks over at Educated Driver used Census Bureau data on average daily roundtrip commute times in hundreds of cities nationwide to calculate how much time Americans spend traveling to and from work over the course of their lives. (They assumed a 45-year career working 250 days a year.) The results, mapped by city, are pretty horrifying.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah :unsmith:

From the proceedings (my translation): "Presented with the fact that [on the night in question] he would have drank half a bottle of rum, a fifth of cognac, a liter of brandywine, and half a bottle of red wine, he answers that it is indeed a lot, but he does not doubt that he did it, seeing as how he had buzzing for several days and under such circumstances he can drink just about anything. However, he adds, it is not certain that all the bottles were full, and he may also have spilled some of their contents."

In some circles he was known as "The Terror of [City]", where he is supposed to have bitten the nose off another man sometime before 1896, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of that. In fact, no evidence that he's even been there.

lamo your relative owns

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
ahahahaha

https://mobile.twitter.com/sambjoyce/status/1035597145443844096

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

buddy are you telling me car culture is bad?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I know for people in NYC you are talking about a fast mass transit being around 1.5 hours just one way.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Class Warcraft posted:

California just signed a bill for cash bail to be abolished next year...except they left judges with the discretion to detain prisoners until trial whenever they see fit. Whoops!

yeah lol. i saw this passed and i was like 'oh, great, instead of having to go into debt to not lose your job and house, you just lose your job and house if you're black'. thanks gov brown. you're a real progressive hero

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2kIfS6fb8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

speaking of bad commutes...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is totally legal too because generally researchers are not covered under FSLA

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

kinda looks like dogshit tbh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah lol. i saw this passed and i was like 'oh, great, instead of having to go into debt to not lose your job and house, you just lose your job and house if you're black'. thanks gov brown. you're a real progressive hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIqESwzCGg4

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

kinda looks like dogshit tbh

There's a 48 minute gameplay showcase that came out recently, and it looks good.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
We are a monstrous people.

E: I almost didn’t qualify this, because really is it necessary? But I meant to quote one of the “America’s justice system is an Orwellian horror” posts.

Lordshmee has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Sep 4, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
uh. what is supposed to be happening in that clip?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Mayo chicken

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Willie Tomg posted:

uh. what is supposed to be happening in that clip?

The decker getting a sandwich while the face and the sammy run interference

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I live really close to one of the biggest sex doll factories in China where they're developing AI sex dolls.

The photos are great. They're so insanely creepy and off-putting (including the finished products).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2018/jul/30/chinese-factory-builds-ai-sex-dolls-in-pictures NSFW obviously

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

a7m2 posted:

I live really close to one of the biggest sex doll factories in China where they're developing AI sex dolls.

The photos are great. They're so insanely creepy and off-putting (including the finished products).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2018/jul/30/chinese-factory-builds-ai-sex-dolls-in-pictures NSFW obviously

Look, if you take a human being apart, it looks pretty gross too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a7m2 posted:

it’s like a low rent westworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8ReSlHkMY