Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Rime posted:

The only thing keeping me from despairing over buying an XPS over that thinkpad is knowing that Lenovo is going to put a 60whr battery and screen with less than 70% color accuracy in it.

The matte 1440p screen in mine has lovely color and supposedly the HDRs are even better. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lenovo barely breaks 90% srgb and 55% AdobeRGB. It's fine if you aren't editing content, but if that's the case you wouldn't give a poo poo about an XPS competitor since the color accuracy and battery life are the two main XPS selling points. :shrug:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Rime posted:

Lenovo barely breaks 90% srgb and 55% AdobeRGB. It's fine if you aren't editing content, but if that's the case you wouldn't give a poo poo about an XPS competitor since the color accuracy and battery life are the two main XPS selling points. :shrug:

The last few thinkpads I read about seemed to have >95% color accuracy though? Am I thinking of something else? It's not a metric I usually pay attention to

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The T480s is 68% AdobeRGB, which is just fine for the content creation I do for a living. The HDR panels on the X1 (which will certainly be available on the Thinkpad Xtreem) are 88% AdobeRGB. Numbers courtesy of notebookcheck.

I also thought I saw a 95+% at some point but I don't remember which.

I'm not even touching "battery life and color are the only reasons to look at an XPS 15 clone"

I feel you on the post-purchase uncertainty and rationalization. But people read these posts for info to make their own purchasing decisions with, so let's not shitpost measurably false stats. It's annoying.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 29, 2018

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I want a Ryzen Laptop and I don't really know how to pick one.

Ideally what I want is a good keyboard, so-so to good trackpad and the ability to run Linux on it. Battery life is a bonus, but I know how few laptops there are. I'm coming from Mac land and I've sold my current laptop to finance it. (Long story, but was given an eye-wateringly expensive MacBook Pro to replace my Late 2011 one whose GPU kept falling out. I just don't like it as much)

My budget is anywhere between 1k to 2k AUD.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Rime posted:

If they offer their new "HDR" screen that's available on the X1/Yoga, that does 100% sRGB and 89% AdobeRGB, which beats anything XPS's have.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
At this point, Lenovo sources both the very best possible and the very worst possible displays. Sometimes, they'll demo a machine with some fucktastic OLED jizz factory display and sell the base model with a 768p TN toilet panel so they can rave about the low "Starting At" price.

Other times, they just put amazing displays in poo poo computers (yoga book lol), or poo poo displays in amazing computers (the entire non-carbon X series)

Lenovo just doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing. Let's not let their insanity tear this family apart.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lord Windy posted:

Ideally what I want is a good keyboard, so-so to good trackpad and the ability to run Linux on it. Battery life is a bonus, but I know how few laptops there are. I'm coming from Mac land and I've sold my current laptop to finance it. (Long story, but was given an eye-wateringly expensive MacBook Pro to replace my Late 2011 one whose GPU kept falling out. I just don't like it as much)

I deeply wish there were more options, the 2700U is an amazing chip that every manufacturer dumped into their very shittiest laptops. If Razer was smart they'd stick a 2700u in the Blade Stealth so you could actually run games on it.

There's the Ideapad 720s, which I'm sure is nice ish but that 48wh battery concerns me. I would go for the HP Envy x360, though the screen lottery is a big deal on that one and I have no faith in HP's QC in general.

I think the Inspiron 13 7000 is probably the safest bet. It's chunky, but eh.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I deeply wish there were more options, the 2700U is an amazing chip that every manufacturer dumped into their very shittiest laptops. If Razer was smart they'd stick a 2700u in the Blade Stealth so you could actually run games on it.

There's the Ideapad 720s, which I'm sure is nice ish but that 48wh battery concerns me. I would go for the HP Envy x360, though the screen lottery is a big deal on that one and I have no faith in HP's QC in general.

I think the Inspiron 13 7000 is probably the safest bet. It's chunky, but eh.

I did not realise how dire the situation is. So awful.

I might just go an Intel T480 with the good battery.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Lenovo just doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing. Let's not let their insanity tear this family apart.

:glomp:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Milkman posted:

If they offer their new "HDR" screen that's available on the X1/Yoga, that does 100% sRGB and 89% AdobeRGB, which beats anything XPS's have.

The 4K xpseses are meant to be 100% Adobe RGB

I've been using sRGB mode lately because a lot of video content really isn't made for all them colours :shobon:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lord Windy posted:

The new 13" HP Envy x360 looks pretty good, and that budget leaves you some good room on upgrades

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

baka kaba posted:

The 4K xpseses are meant to be 100% Adobe RGB

I've been using sRGB mode lately because a lot of video content really isn't made for all them colours :shobon:

I think they tested 95% in practice? So still better than the X1/Yoga one, but not by a considerable amount. Unless you're designing for print that kind of Adobe colorspace coverage just really isn't necessary afaik.

And yeah, I kind of made the same decision up front. Everything I do is digital so I decided I'd rather have a matte screen I can use anywhere than ~100% colorspaaace~. As long as it fully covers sRGB I'm good. :unsmith:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Unsinkabear posted:

I think they tested 95% in practice? So still better than the X1/Yoga one, but not by a considerable amount. Unless you're designing for print that kind of Adobe colorspace coverage just really isn't necessary afaik.

And yeah, I kind of made the same decision up front. Everything I do is digital so I decided I'd rather have a matte screen I can use anywhere than ~100% colorspaaace~. As long as it fully covers sRGB I'm good. :unsmith:

Notebookcheck's tests put the XPS15 4k at 100/88.3 vs 100/88.9 for the Lenovo. Closer than I remember, but all I really meant was Lenovo could have a Good option. Like Space Ghost said, they really run the gamut.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

For sure. But I think all the modern Thinkpads at least have a good option? And if you're not specifically buying a Thinkpad, I don't know why an individual consumer would look at Lenovo at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Unsinkabear posted:

For sure. But I think all the modern Thinkpads at least have a good option? And if you're not specifically buying a Thinkpad, I don't know why an individual consumer would look at Lenovo at all.

(USA numbers...worldwide HP and Lenovo are basically tied for 1st/2nd)

I don't get how HP is number one.

Lenovo has the brand recognition, you see it in this thread when people buy or ask about buying the non-Thinkpads.

But has HP ever had a good reputation in the last 20 years?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I definitely see enough HPs around to believe that chart, and I don't get it either. I see as many HP logos in Starbucks as MacBook apples, despite that being a known hipster nesting ground. I even saw one at my climbing gym last night (seemed like a weird place to study, but what do I know).

What are the units on that shipments column? I know Apple ships more than 1,841 laptops per quarter. :thunk:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Unsinkabear posted:

What are the units on that shipments column? I know Apple ships more than 1,841 laptops per quarter. :thunk:

Thousands of units. So 1.8 million for Apple

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Unsinkabear posted:

Oh I mean I have the 4K :pcgaming:glossy:pcgaming: display, but I set it to sRGB mode ~because I can~

It's nice to have the option! The full vibrant gamut is cool but it can be a bit much sometimes, and some people get very pink

The Milkman posted:

Like Space Ghost said, they really run the gamut.

booooo!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Haha, I got you! I was just trying and failing to be clever. I meant I chose to shut it off (so to speak) via not buying one, because there's no way to temporarily disable that drat gloss :argh:

If anyone ever develops some kind of texture-adaptive solution to make a screen glossy when I want perfect color, but matte when I'm on the road (or in the morning when the sun tries to melt away my east-facing office window)... That will be a wallet-emptier.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 29, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Unsinkabear posted:

If anyone ever develops some kind of texture-adaptive solution to make a screen glossy when I want perfect color, but matte when I'm on the road (or in the morning when the sun tries to melt away my east-facing office window)... That will be a wallet-emptier.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Anti-Glare-Filter-Widescreen-AG156W9B/dp/B00IQCRP0C

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Those films aren't exactly intended to remove and reapply endlessly, and the reviews make it sound much worse than a legit matte screen outdoors. Thanks tho.

Does anyone have any experience doing an eGPU setup with an X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Those films aren't exactly intended to remove and reapply endlessly
"Attaches and reattaches with ease"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Look at this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_eO2wBxH4c

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It looks silly but not having a trackpad in front of the keyboard is really good. I'm not sure you need to move the screen so close to where your hands go, though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I just had my 5 year old MSI laptop die on me and am in the market for a replacement. I don't use laptops for gaming and most of what I do with it is some light stats work, programming, browsing/youtube and ms office. I want something with at least an i3 and would prefer an i5. I received that MSI from a previous job and they never asked for it back after I left. It doesn't look like that's going to happen again so what price range should I be looking at to keep doing what I do?

I don't see any MSI branded stuff in the OP is there a specific reason for it? The only stuff I like to avoid are gateway (which I don't think is made anymore), hp and dell. The inspiron 15 7000 I've borrowed since my MSI died is such a piece of poo poo. I would use it as a door stop but, I don't think it could even do that without loving up. I have no idea how my coworker puts up with this thing.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rexxed posted:

It looks silly but not having a trackpad in front of the keyboard is really good. I'm not sure you need to move the screen so close to where your hands go, though.

The Asus Zephyrus GX501 did the same thing, moving the keyboard down to allow for cooling intake at the top part of the laptop. But they felt they needed to include a palmrest for those used to typing while resting against the laptop base, which increases it's footprint, carry weight, and fiddliness.

The original Acer Triton had the trackpad above the keyboard which was weird, and now on the side it's in a better position.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't see any MSI branded stuff in the OP is there a specific reason for it? The only stuff I like to avoid are gateway (which I don't think is made anymore), hp and dell. The inspiron 15 7000 I've borrowed since my MSI died is such a piece of poo poo. I would use it as a door stop but, I don't think it could even do that without loving up. I have no idea how my coworker puts up with this thing.
I got an MSI laptop in December; the trackpad is the second-worst (it has buttons, so it's better than a no-buttons trackpad, but it makes up for it by being bad at trackpadding and also the buttons are really loud). The screen is also the worst, it's a 4k screen but it's not IPS so the viewing angles are horrifyingly bad, and even at the best viewing angle it looks washed out. The viewing angle is so bad you can't even be at an angle where a whole white screen all looks the same shade at once. Would not recommend.

On the positive side, the keyboard is decent, it's pretty good about heat, it doesn't have noisy fans, and the screen hinge holds firmly at the angle you set it to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What size screen and what's your budget.

Thinkpads have best keyboards in the market if you like programming. You can't hardly find i3 processors except in educational models so you should be fine there. Dell XPS series is pretty good these days, they've turned over a new leaf in the last couple of years.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Does anyone have any experience doing an eGPU setup with an X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga?

No, but I got an Aorus Gaming Box running on an RBS. Works as expected once you get everything set up (IIRC, update all Intel drivers including iGPU, install TB management software, connect eGPU, install nVidia drivers) although I can't figure out how to get the internal display to shut off. :shrug:

Azuth0667 posted:

I just had my 5 year old MSI laptop die on me and am in the market for a replacement. I don't use laptops for gaming and most of what I do with it is some light stats work, programming, browsing/youtube and ms office. I want something with at least an i3 and would prefer an i5. I received that MSI from a previous job and they never asked for it back after I left. It doesn't look like that's going to happen again so what price range should I be looking at to keep doing what I do?

You don't have to blow a ton of money on a general-purpose laptop; you can start here and go up from there. That's the updated version of the Acer E15 -33BM that I used to recommend. This updated version doesn't have the backlit keyboard, but it has >4 GB of RAM out of the box (which for some reason is downgraded to DDR3) so you can probably get away without an upgrade there, although you would need to add an m.2 SSD as the boot drive.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 30, 2018

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hadlock posted:

What size screen and what's your budget.

Thinkpads have best keyboards in the market if you like programming. You can't hardly find i3 processors except in educational models so you should be fine there. Dell XPS series is pretty good these days, they've turned over a new leaf in the last couple of years.

Standard 13 inch is fine, preferably not a touch screen. Im working with a 300 to 600$ budget range.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I ordered an XPS 15 last week and the order status page is still on "confirmed" with the delivery window of 8/31 to 9/6. For a few days it said "Your complete order has been shipped", but that is gone now. Has anyone had one shipped recently? Its not a huge deal but amazon has turned me into a giant impatient baby so Id like to get an idea if dell's shipping windows are accurate at all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Standard 13 inch is fine, preferably not a touch screen. Im working with a 300 to 600$ budget range.

Refurbished T460 with a 1080p panel off of eBay, or maybe a T450 depending on budget

Someone else can suggest something newer. The $400-600 new market is full of moderately crappy models that should for your use case.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just got the XPS 13 9360 in this morning, and it's great so far! The keyboard is solid, and everything else is good enough. Hopefully I'm set on a laptop for a while.

Welp, so much for this post. The trackpad on the XPS 13 is just as poo poo as every other windows trackpad I've used. It randomly wiggles the mouse across the screen and clicks when I'm not touching it. I tracked down just about every post there is on the issue and it seems that the "fix" is to disable the Windows 10 driver and manually install a Synaptics driver, but even that has barely helped. the mouse no longer moves on its own, but now it also randomly doesn't respond.

There has been a lot of Thinkpad talk the last few pages. Can anyone comment on the current generation's trackpad?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you installed the"Microsoft Precision Touchpad" drivers? If not, do so. If the problem persists, do a warranty claim. The touchpad on my XPS 15 is 92-95% the quality of my MacBook pro.

If you're reading this and don't have an XPS you should still look in to upgrading your drivers as well. Moves the mouse from a binary executable that talks to an api, to directly plugged in to the OS kernel, bypasses so much bullshit.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 30, 2018

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Hadlock posted:

Have you installed the"Microsoft Precision Touchpad" drivers? If not, do so. If the problem persists, do a warranty claim. The touchpad on my XPS 15 is 92-95% the quality of my MacBook pro.

If you're reading this and don't have an XPS you should still look in to upgrading your drivers as well. Moves the mouse from a binary executable that talks to an api, to directly plugged in to the OS kernel, bypasses so much bullshit.

I actually started with the precision driver. Dell does not actually publish the Synaptics driver on their website. I'll try a warranty claim. After looking at everything else on the market, there is no way to get a laptop with specs close to this one without paying another $500.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Welp, so much for this post. The trackpad on the XPS 13 is just as poo poo as every other windows trackpad I've used. It randomly wiggles the mouse across the screen and clicks when I'm not touching it. I tracked down just about every post there is on the issue and it seems that the "fix" is to disable the Windows 10 driver and manually install a Synaptics driver, but even that has barely helped. the mouse no longer moves on its own, but now it also randomly doesn't respond.

There has been a lot of Thinkpad talk the last few pages. Can anyone comment on the current generation's trackpad?

I really like the trackpad on my 6th Gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Responds well to multi-finger gestures, it's smooth and I've had no issues with jitter or anything. But then again I'm coming from a 2011 laptop that had a trackbad that was considered bad even in 2011, so maybe my bar is super low? :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do people like the new X1 Carbon that Costco is selling? I'm really tempted to sell my XPS 15 and replace it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

What's the point of this device? Or Windows on ARM in general.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...y-life-ifa-2018

25 hour battery life, I'm guessing.