Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Homer's Enemy pretty clearly has Homer being a jerk for reasons other than being laz or stupid. The people on the commentary even note that it's the episode where the Simpsons loses it's moral center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It worked in that case since it was the show was looking inward at itself.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The creators seemed to think that the show was winding down, so they were just trying stuff to see if it would stick.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Homer being a jerk in the New York episode is also warranted because he's having a really lovely time. However, season 9 in general is where jerkass Homer really comes out. I distinctly remember The Joy of Sect being the first episode that made me annoyed with Homer. He's completely insufferable in it and I consider it the first instance of full throttle jerkass Homer.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Homer being a jerk in the New York episode is also warranted because he's having a really lovely time. However, season 9 in general is where jerkass Homer really comes out. I distinctly remember The Joy of Sect being the first episode that made me annoyed with Homer. He's completely insufferable in it and I consider it the first instance of full throttle jerkass Homer.

Well, it is the episode that coined the phrase "jerkass" after all.

Though I'd argue that like with "Homer's Enemy" as explained above, it's another example of the show kind of parodying itself. His jerkassness is in service to the greater joke of the cult working on a guy that's somehow too stupid to brainwash (at first). It's one of the narrative tools they use in their overall comic dissection of cults.

I'd say Homer doesn't become a jerk for no good narrative reason until maybe... "Trash of the Titans?" Or maybe "Homer to the Max."

I'd that's about where the writers started confusing the self-satirizing meta-Homer from "Homer's Enemy" and "Joy of Sect" for the actual character.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

Homer's Enemy pretty clearly has Homer being a jerk for reasons other than being laz or stupid. The people on the commentary even note that it's the episode where the Simpsons loses it's moral center.

The people laughing at the funeral was funny, but it felt more like South Park or Family Guy.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Plan Z posted:

That joke always stuck out so hard to me. Like it really comes off something modern Family Guy would do but with blood and guts and Peter screaming for a full minute.

Around that time it felt like there were some more outlandish and surreal moments that were south park influenced. Some things felt like they were directly lifted from Cartman's mouth like Homer saying 'screw you guys' and 'I'm not fat, its glandular'. It stood out badly.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure the lowest point of the Simpsons was getting the Op as a fan, Op.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

SirPablo posted:

I think there I general consensus that Stupid Homer becoming Jerk Homer was a tipping point. So when did Jerk Homer first appear?

Also, I'm rewatching Homer v NYC. I think what bothers me is the dimension of sober Barney in the beginning. Feels forced.

The Cartridge Family where Homer gets his gun is a big jerkass homer episode at the beginning of season 9. It gets away with it by being really very funny with the way he is a jerk but its a very obviously a character shift away from his regular "trying to do good badly" shtick.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

The Cartridge Family where Homer gets his gun is a big jerkass homer episode at the beginning of season 9. It gets away with it by being really very funny with the way he is a jerk but its a very obviously a character shift away from his regular "trying to do good badly" shtick.

It also presents him with some actual consequences that are dealt with in a realistic way. It shows that he has a conscience but he's just dumb and it takes a while for it to hit him.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

pooch516 posted:

It also presents him with some actual consequences that are dealt with in a realistic way. It shows that he has a conscience but he's just dumb and it takes a while for it to hit him.

True. It helps its a pretty well rounded storyline around the jokes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When You Dish Upon a Star is the worst jerkass Homer and pointless celebrity guests up to that point.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When You Dish Upon a Star is the worst jerkass Homer and pointless celebrity guests up to that point.
Yeah, he was a pretty horrible person in that ep, just completely petty and bitter.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

JazzFlight posted:

On an early seasons rewatch, I decided to wade into Season 10 a bit and stopped right at the episode where Homer finds out his middle name and becomes a hippie. That was the worst Homer had ever acted on the show so far, just complete rear end in a top hat to everyone.

I also think an earlier ep where Homer gets drunk and stares at Maude's cleavage, then tries to get out of marriage counseling and barely apologizes to Marge is pretty bad, as well.

The hippie episode had some ok moments (I know a place that’ll saw your legs off!) but the plot is a train wreck. Mr. Burns wants to hire younger workers so Homer wants to become an actor and learns his middle name then joins hippies and gets the town high and now he’s shot in the head, uh roll credits.

Definitely a case of the staff wanting George Carlin to appear but not caring about the story.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

When You Dish Upon a Star still has a little of that spirit of mocking celebrities so it isn't a complete loss. It also has a Ray Bolger joke, and how often do you get to use those? Otherwise it's a forgettable episode

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The hippie episode had some ok moments (I know a place that’ll saw your legs off!) but the plot is a train wreck. Mr. Burns wants to hire younger workers so Homer wants to become an actor and learns his middle name then joins hippies and gets the town high and now he’s shot in the head, uh roll credits.

Definitely a case of the staff wanting George Carlin to appear but not caring about the story.
Huh. I had no idea George Carlin was one of the hippies in that. Does fit now, though, remembering the voice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A clip from season 17 popped up on YouTube. The church is having a model duck race in a river to win a "FeMac" computer, an iMac for women (impoverished Reverend Lovejoy gives out computers?). Homer cheats by firing a silenced pistol at the other ducks, then runs into the water and gets churned through a windmill, as characters using guns followed by a prolonged injury scene is comedy gold, and not an attempt to turn Homer into Peter Griffin.

I looked up the credits, of course it's written by Dana Gould and showrun by Al Jean.

Hachi machi, glancing at the episode descriptions for season 18. Kent Brockman moves in? There’s a volunteer fireman episode? There are 11 seasons after that?!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A clip from season 17 popped up on YouTube. The church is having a model duck race in a river to win a "FeMac" computer, an iMac for women (impoverished Reverend Lovejoy gives out computers?). Homer cheats by firing a silenced pistol at the other ducks, then runs into the water and gets churned through a windmill, as characters using guns followed by a prolonged injury scene is comedy gold, and not an attempt to turn Homer into Peter Griffin.

I looked up the credits, of course it's written by Dana Gould and showrun by Al Jean.

that clip was like 2 pages ago dude

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I wanna see a compilation of every clip where a character (usually Lisa) goes "Wow! It's <celebrity name>!" without a hint of irony.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChORIKcAcg

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

This popped up on my Youtube recommended and ugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHtG0KMtskw&t=50s

Kinda shows off a lot of what's wrong. Dialogue sounds like it's written by different writers in different rooms and voiced in separate studios. The punch-up for Homer is so obvious that most of the time he's not having the same conversation. He's shouting in every line, there's this vomit-inducing fourth wall breaking that even lovely webcomic writers would think is poorly done. The "this is currently a thing and we're going to write jokes around it" topical humor. The Homer thing sticks out so much more to me than any other problem. He's literally just speaking nonsense at times because he's "the stupid character." Like are the writers saying Homer genuinely believes he's gonna go back in time because his power meter is going backwards?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Plan Z posted:

I wanna see a compilation of every clip where a character (usually Lisa) goes "Wow! It's <celebrity name>!" without a hint of irony.

I think the time is right for another Simpsons spin-off showcase, but one of the segments would be done in a style like a 70s-era Scooby-Doo where the whole family solved mysteries while going on random weekend trips and a recognizable by just their voice celebrity would show up and get involved.

It'd be called Snowball Du, where Snowball would replace Scooby. Maggie isn't present because union rules prevented them from having baby in the recording booth for over 16 hours a day to record her lines. The spinoff never went past a few pilots because of this fact and they would jump to the wrong conclusion and create disturbing theories about where she really went..

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think the time is right for another Simpsons spin-off showcase, but one of the segments would be done in a style like a 70s-era Scooby-Doo where the whole family solved mysteries while going on random weekend trips and a recognizable by just their voice celebrity would show up and get involved.

It'd be called Snowball Du, where Snowball would replace Scooby. Maggie isn't present because union rules prevented them from having baby in the recording booth for over 16 hours a day to record her lines. The spinoff never went past a few pilots because of this fact and they would jump to the wrong conclusion and create disturbing theories about where she really went..

Yeah, well Snowball Du can doo-doo
'cause Jimmy Carter is smarter.

Wow, it's former president Jimmy Carter!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is ghastly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Plan Z posted:

Also annoying is that they gave the Danish guys Swedish accents. There's such a thing as a Danish accent, and it is much dumber and goofier than this bullshit.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I still can't get over the fact anyone could look at the poo poo they write, nod their head and go, "yes, this is what I want the world to see." I guess I'm not getting paid thousands of dollars for doing gently caress all though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Plan Z posted:

At least they didn't start shilling for clean coal, which is what I half expected. Honestly, the most annoying thing is that after each gag they have Lisa explain why Homer is wrong. Are they trying to pad the episode, or so they expect their audiences to be retarded?

Imagine if, when Homer was building the grill, after the camera panned from the brochure to Homer's failed attempt, they switched to Lisa going "but dad, it doesn't look like it does on the picture! You built it wrong!"

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hachi machi, glancing at the episode descriptions for season 18. Kent Brockman moves in? There’s a volunteer fireman episode? There are 11 seasons after that?!

Oof, yeah that Kent Brockman one is real bad. Homer accidentally swears on Kent Brockman’s show which gets him fired, so for some reason he moves into the Simpson’s house. Then he starts some online channel with rants about how the media is in cahoots with big business, which becomes really popular, so the station gives him his job back. It then ends with a slam on Fox. Daring stuff.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
did Kent Brockman squander all his lottery winnings

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

snack eater posted:

The people who wrote that show have never seen seasons 4-8

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Plan Z posted:

What the gently caress is up with Marge's "come on let's go, what are you waiting for" line

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

snack eater posted:

I think I remember them repo'ing his mansion.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Riptor posted:

What the gently caress is up with Marge's "come on let's go, what are you waiting for" line

them walking our of the house was time-killing filler and having them say nothing at all would be awkward so

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

them walking our of the house was time-killing filler and having them say nothing at all would be awkward so

Marge wasn't even in the previous scene!

That was just awful. None of the gags were funny in concept, and even if they were, the timing was atrocious on every single one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine watching a modern Simpsons episode as your first exposure to the show

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tree Goat posted:

there's lots of scenarios where they cancel the simpsons, it's very easy to envision:

1) one of the few tribes scrounging for food in the last few arable pieces of land in the american wastelands is insufficiently vigilant in purifying their water, and the elders succumb to cholera. they did not specify a lore-keeper before this calamity and so the long oral tradition of the tribal simpsons-speaker, an unbroken chain of voice actors dating back to before the cataclysm, is forever severed.

2) a flaw in the central machine of the self-aware disney entertainment system causes an unstable feedback loop in the neural circuitry that imprisons the cast and crew in their statis pods. while its system of thought is entirely alien to ours, this malfunction creates a pattern of behavior that is somewhat analogous to the human notion of mercy. in the brief seconds before the error-correction and redundancy systems restore the status quo, the DES permits the cast the ultimate freedom: the freedom to die.

3) the last gasp of a super-massive dying star releases a gamma ray burst that bathes our planet in purifying radiation and we, the simpsons included, are snuffed out like a match on a windy day.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Imagine watching a modern Simpsons episode as your first exposure to the show

I still want to find someone who's never seen Star Wars so I can make them watch all the movies in 1-8 order to see what they think.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

This has gotten really obvious in shows lately, namely Family Guy with its incredibly long, boring "that's the joke" conversations. It feels like they have trouble filling time, so there are just drawn-out periods of nothing. I feel like if you edited Modern Simpsons down so that there's no dead air, obvious pauses between dialogue, and slowly-delivered lines, you'd chop at least a few minutes off of episodes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

I still want to find someone who's never seen Star Wars so I can make them watch all the movies in 1-8 order to see what they think.

You'll have to apply the Ludovico Technique about halfway through Attack of the Clones

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teikanmi posted:

The people who wrote that show have never seen seasons 4-8
At this point, just apply the DC comics school of timeline to the show:

Every 4-5 years is a soft reboot.
Nothing from the past matters until it gets mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The thing about that green energy clip was just how terrible the beats were

Like, I’m a huge autistic sperg so I couldn’t help but imagine how I’d be able to take each scene and audio and video edit each part so that it’s actually approaching something close to funny

That’s one of the great things about old Simpsons, they really really had good comedic timing