Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I knew multiple people who huffed canned air during my time in the army.

The military is full of brilliant dipshits that will break everything in search of a high. Don't doubt someone out there with a chemistry degree didn't enlist somewhere along the line. Someone somewhere was dumb enough, it's guaranteed.

For the matter, the pallet treatment poo poo is probably bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ate all the Oreos posted:

That sounds made up as all gently caress, if only because I don't buy that the military would care enough to actually run any sort of chemical analysis to figure out why even if something like that did happen.

There was a standing instruction not to burn those pallets because of the problem with the smoke being insanely toxic and making people crazy.

They ignored it. :911:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, and we still just burn poo poo you shouldn't burn in giant pits. There was a little to-do about body parts winding up in Balad ABs' burn pit in 2006 or so. Lots of bad and stupid poo poo about that base, actually.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How often do they piss test people? They might notice if a whole base pisses hot for meth.

Or not, whatever.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If it was in the 80s, lol, rarely at best, apparently.

Piss tests are usually random monthly, but I was never tested on deployment, which was nice, because the TCNs that worked the laundry point at the time sold extremely meh weed for a hilarious price.

But I'd hazard most guys are hit twice a year on average.

My unit had more booze issues than drugs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
In Afghanistan I was only drug tested after coming back from R&R

And they only use that as a scare tactic. Because I know for sure some people were high as gently caress the days before they got back to country.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I assume they don’t drug-test people right before deployments because that would give people an easy way to try and get out of the deployment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They do. They also ask many many times if you have an alcohol problem.

Look for as dumb and negligent as the military is, they know a warzone isn't the place to dry out. They have no time nor the resources to handle a mismanaged substance abuse problem, and there are plenty of poor people willing to get shot at and blown up for the chance of getting welfare forever to get out of their lovely life serving their country.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Memento posted:

There was a standing instruction not to burn those pallets because of the problem with the smoke being insanely toxic and making people crazy.

They ignored it. :911:

I'm not finding anything about this online so I'm still calling bullshit :shrug:

It doesn't even really make sense, treated lumber back then was treated with dangerous chemicals, but the chemical was arsenic, not really something that can become meth-like

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, and we still just burn poo poo you shouldn't burn in giant pits. There was a little to-do about body parts winding up in Balad ABs' burn pit in 2006 or so. Lots of bad and stupid poo poo about that base, actually.

Actually while looking stuff up I read that supposedly the DOD banned them in 2010 and Congress even ordered the VA to make a registry of everyone exposed to burn pit smoke back in 2013.

At the same time I found pictures of them being used as recently as 2013 so who knows.

e: Oh

quote:

In 2010, lawmakers banned the military from using burn pits except where there was no feasible alternative

Yeah that'll fix it :thumbsup:

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Aug 30, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Put me on the defendant stand because there was a burn pit on my FOB in 2013 FOR SURE.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ take it to GiP who loving cares what the YJGM did on your FOB back in the poo poo

Huff some loving capitalism

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Please respect are troops burn pit lore

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Metallica made a whiskey

https://twitter.com/DaveMilbo/status/1034790837069070336

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Metallica hasn't been relevant since they bitched and moaned about Napster and then did a tour with I think the Offspring or something as one of the opening acts where nobody actually came to see Metallica just the opening acts and the one Metallica band member came out with these toy Hulk fists and tried to clown around with the band and they kinda gave him a look like 'wtf are you doing' and he walked off stage trying to act like they were buds and everything was cool but you could see in his eyes that he knew at that moment that their entire act was officially washed up.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Trashy mags in the doctors waiting room.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

Metallica hasn't been relevant since they bitched and moaned about Napster and then did a tour with I think the Offspring or something as one of the opening acts where nobody actually came to see Metallica just the opening acts and the one Metallica band member came out with these toy Hulk fists and tried to clown around with the band and they kinda gave him a look like 'wtf are you doing' and he walked off stage trying to act like they were buds and everything was cool but you could see in his eyes that he knew at that moment that their entire act was officially washed up.

Yeah, it also didn't help that St. Anger was a horrid album while Reload was like "OK this isn't bad but who the gently caress are you and where did Metallica go?"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Metallica selling a branded alcohol when James Hetfield has literally been in rehab for alcoholism is pretty hilarious IMO.

I dunno bands have to make money somehow now that their music is effectively worth nothing to society but some of them go way too hard on the merch angle.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Back before piracy was rampant a single CD cost sometimes 30 bucks which was loving insanity given inflation. Then Napster happened and suddenly CDs were down to like 12 bux but by then it was too late. The music industry only has itself to blame.

Same with theaters get hosed I'm not paying $50 bucks to go see a movie with my wife while eating mediocre popcorn and a watered down pop. Ima do it at home on my big screen for nothing because I have a VPN and pirate everything with impunity.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I also have a great self-saucing pud recipe.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

Back before piracy was rampant a single CD cost sometimes 30 bucks which was loving insanity given inflation. Then Napster happened and suddenly CDs were down to like 12 bux but by then it was too late. The music industry only has itself to blame.

Same with theaters get hosed I'm not paying $50 bucks to go see a movie with my wife while eating mediocre popcorn and a watered down pop. Ima do it at home on my big screen for nothing because I have a VPN and pirate everything with impunity.

Really, the biggest thing was that the record companies instead of embracing new technology did everything they possibly could to destroy it. I get why but it was ultimately a stupid decision. They can't control the internet like they can traditional radio and TV. It's just too drat huge and, well, it doesn't lend itself to $30 CDs. That and stuff like iTunes lets you only buy the stuff you want. There's none of this "we'll plaster one or two good songs all over the radio and MTV then act like the rest of the CD is amazing. It's a surprise! You'll find out when you buy it!" crap that used to exist. It was terrible as so many CDs were the one or two, maybe three, good songs then a bunch of horrible filler. It took a while for word to get around that an album was poo poo so all you had to do was have a famous name on it. Then people would remember those few good songs and the cycle would repeat.

Napster was ultimately a reaction to that; I'm not paying $30 for two good songs. Movies are having a similar issue. Word on the internet travels very fast so movie companies can't build up a bunch of hype, release a wet fart, and then ride the hype into profits. If a movie is awful, smelly garbage absolutely loving everybody knows by the time the first showing is even over. If a record label releases an album with two good songs then you go to iTunes and buy them for $2. Or hell you just use Spotify and never actually buy an album ever again.

Of course the internet also makes the supply be "literally everything" whether they like it or not. Instead of controlling what we hear on the radio we can just use our favorite streaming service to create our own 40 songs we'll play until the sun explodes. Traditional radio is dying for a lot of reasons but that's part of it.

Really, the most :capitalism: thing is that all of the not musicians in the industry have ruined everything for all of the musicians because gently caress you.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP42C-4zL3w

If you consider what other music sounded like until then, it makes sense.
Even today it's not boring, imgo.

The original choreography was pretty insane too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvVKWapctX4

Pretty sure the original choreography is dinosaurs, my dude.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Traditional radio is dying for a lot of reasons but that's part of it.

People keep saying that, but it sadly seems to remain untrue. More radio stations have started up in the last 10 years in my city than the 20 before that. I'm so confused as to why. Every car built in the last 3 years can pair to your phone, just stream (or pirate) music!

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fashionable Jorts posted:

People keep saying that, but it sadly seems to remain untrue. More radio stations have started up in the last 10 years in my city than the 20 before that. I'm so confused as to why. Every car built in the last 3 years can pair to your phone, just stream (or pirate) music!

Stores and workplaces playing inoffensive radio stations over the pa is one of the last places traditional advertising can get to an audience

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Crosspost from weird and wonderful books thread.

Applesnots posted:

This neat book came in the mail the other day.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The pallet story was 50 Foot Ant.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, it also didn't help that St. Anger was a horrid album while Reload was like "OK this isn't bad but who the gently caress are you and where did Metallica go?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BARGAINS
IMPRISONING ME
ALL THAT I SEE
ABSOLUTE SAVINGS

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

TheMostFrench posted:

Trashy mags in the doctors waiting room.

i read the word "bonking" and assumed this had to be british, then i noticed the $ signs.

Imagine calling sex "bonking"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kullik posted:

i read the word "bonking" and assumed this had to be british, then i noticed the $ signs.

Imagine calling sex "bonking"

That's absolutely fuckers.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laserface posted:

Metallica selling a branded alcohol when James Hetfield has literally been in rehab for alcoholism is pretty hilarious IMO.

I dunno bands have to make money somehow now that their music is effectively worth nothing to society but some of them go way too hard on the merch angle.

Death Magnetic was pretty good tho so it's really confusing sometimes.

Haven't actually purchased music for so long outside of Pretty Reckless albums, because I am now a old who is sunk in their music tastes and doesn't understand them dang kids bops. Even streaming/online album sales gives mere pittance to most artists and yet it still manages to be better than most of the industry contracts from the Before Times. It's brutally depressing how art is just pulped into consumerism in everything these days.

gently caress, I barely go to the theaters anymore either. Not just because it's expensive, but because there are literally 20 minutes of TV adds before the trailers start. So I get the lovely pre-showing random "GO BUY OUR CONCESSIONS ITLL MAKE YOU HAPPY" followed by "GET OUR THEATER CREDIT CARD SO YOU CAN BUY MORE" slides on the screen, then 20 minutes of car commercials, beer commercials, food commercials, more car commercials, tech commercials, video game commercials, commercials for TV shows and movies on blu-ray.

Then I get 20 minutes of trailers.

Then I get two hours of product placement laden bullshit movie half the time.

It's depressing and I just loving pirate everything now if I want to see it. Or use Netflix like bougie scum while just dulling life with weed and despair. I'm fully aware that When It all Happens I'll probably be one of the fucks against the wall, or just die in the conflict, and I'm getting more and more okay with that as time goes on. Bring the guillotine tovarisch.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Nothing is going to happen mate

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The poo poo is going to collapse sooner rather than later. That's a thing, and it will happen. The current system is untenable and on a rocky foundation that won't take very much to just push over, and the current leadership in the US (which is where the collapse is going to start triggering the dominoes) are not going to be doing anything worthwhile to prevent it, or fix it after it happens.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

Then I get two hours of product placement laden bullshit movie half the time.

It's depressing

See better movies. Next

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Fashionable Jorts posted:

A good, independent radio station is pretty rad. I've heard a bunch of bands I would have never dreamed of looking up through the two university stations here. Radio has sucked since the 80s because that's when those giant conglomerates took over and turned it into the garbage we know today. Apparently in the olden days radio djs had a bunch of freedom as to what they could play, so you'd get a ton of regional variation. Fuckin never stops pissing me off that all the big rock stations go to ads at the exact same time so you can't avoid commercials without turning the radio off.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazak posted:

See better movies. Next

I already barely watch things at the theater this would mean I'd watch nothing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Metallica has pretty much sucked since the 80's ended. These days they exist to make corporate suits feel like they're still in touch. I don't listen to the radio much these days, but I do recall rock stations having a ~30 minute block of "Mandatory Metallica" starting around 2000. I certainly don't think they're mainstream relevant these days, but there are a lot of people who have forgotten how they're piss babbies and will defend everything they put out. Megadeth was always the better band even if Dave Mustaine has always been an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Fuckin never stops pissing me off that all the big rock stations go to ads at the exact same time so you can't avoid commercials without turning the radio off.

I straddle two markets, and I think this extends to songs as well. There are a few songs that I seem to encounter at approximately the same time, it's not like they're even new songs that are getting pushed, it's old stuff like Spoonman.
There have also been multiple occasions when I have switched stations only to find the exact same song playing, or it's the next song, again it's always old stuff :psyduck:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
lmao if you listen to commercial radio

there is no bigger example of the logical conclusion of capitalism

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Tashilicious posted:

The poo poo is going to collapse sooner rather than later. That's a thing, and it will happen. The current system is untenable and on a rocky foundation that won't take very much to just push over, and the current leadership in the US (which is where the collapse is going to start triggering the dominoes) are not going to be doing anything worthwhile to prevent it, or fix it after it happens.

people been saying this for decades tho

poo poo brother, the world was going to end in nuclear hellfire during the cold war already

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The world came extremely close to nuclear war multiple times, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elman posted:

The world came extremely close to nuclear war multiple times, though?

At this point, nuclear winter would be good and cool