Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1031717113457565696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

gently caress you Garula.
- guy that rolled thief

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Remember to steal mythril knives from wyverns in the tower!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cattail Prophet posted:

Remember to steal mythril knives from wyverns in the tower!

Similarly, remember to only have one Thief in the front row (with the Elven Mantle) and only have them attack - your other thieves either defend or throw potions.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did have mythril knives for everyone, but I went for putting everyone in the back row and alternating attack and potions. This ended up with Bartz and Lenna fainted and the other two just ekeing out ahead of Garula in a straight damage race. I'll definitely remember that strategy for the next time I get thief though!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Thief gets a boost in their attack at level 11 or so, so it might be worth grinding a bit for Garula.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The dagger damage formula is wonky. I find that level 9 is enough for Faris to get the best reasonable multiplier as long as she's wearing a Kenpo Gi.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Think that at my final attempt I was level 13 or so.

My strategy of "try to attack faster than he can oh god damage control damage control" wasn't great okay.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Speaking of level 13, any tips on doing the golem fight with Mystic / Summoner / Blue / Beast? I'm level 13 and the only blue magic spell I know is Flash. The stupid pink dragon zombie Vampires too often.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Break Blade the Bone Dragon, Fira Blade the Zombie Dragon? It only Vampires 1/3 odds every third turn.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Golem battle versions of the enemies can still be controlled, right? Even if you don't have a way to damage them without breaking control or hitting Golem too, you can at least shut down one enemy while you focus on taking down the other one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Cattail Prophet posted:

The Golem battle versions of the enemies can still be controlled, right? Even if you don't have a way to damage them without breaking control or hitting Golem too, you can at least shut down one enemy while you focus on taking down the other one.

Also correct. I also think that using an item that harms the enemy doesn't break Control, so you could grab the Zombie Dragon and force Hi-Potions down its gullet for 500 a pop while it does nothing.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Couldn't you throw a phoenix down at them?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The dragons in the Golem fight are both flagged as Heavy (unlike every other Zombie dragon) so feathers won't work.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Control seems like a good option, I don't have that yet either though. Nor did I buy Hi potions.

My luck must've been terrible, he was doing it every three rounds like clockwork. Wasted an elixir on Golem even. Mystic can pull mid 600 damage with Fira Sword and the Summoner can help with an obvious drawback. I'll backtrack after getting Control.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Flash was pulling its weight though!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Six runs, six Triple Crowns.

Let me just start another run to see what I get, maybe I'll squeeze another in.

Gilgabot, why are you so kind this year?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finally finished my run this year! And what a run it was. Probably the second-worst party I've ever gotten (after Knight/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk), but some interesting synergies.

https://twitter.com/MrAristocrates/status/1032426201825112064

Thief/Berserker/Dancer/Cannoneer. What goddamn trash this party was for World 1. But then, in World 2, everything changed. See, Equip Axes is actually really loving amazing on Dancer (and still pretty good on Thief), to the point where once I got the Chicken Knife I was reliably doing 9999 damage Sword Dances. I doubled up on Dancer for World 3 because Sword Dance is just that incredible. I was honestly really bummed when it got void'ed. :(

Once I ground out Combine onto everyone, Neo became an absolute joke. I was just spamming Needle Cannon and chugging Elixirs without a care in the loving world. One Almagest, some Delta Attacks, and a Vacuum Wave or two. That's it. The loving tree form gave me more trouble in that it actually managed to wipe me once. I don't think I've ever beaten this game without dying to Neo before, especially at only Level 42, so that was great.

I probably won't Forbidden Risk again, but this was a pretty memorable run for sure.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Run 5 (Beastmaster / Summoner / Berserker / Mystic Knight): Triple crowned since Beastmaster made both Shinryu and Omega free even if I had to let my berserker just Rune Axe Omega to death while I calm locked the robot.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1032866845122953217
Gilgamesh is rooting for you. He wants you to succeed.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

e:f,b

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Where is a good place to grind money in world 3?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The best single place if you're playing GBA is killing Movers in the Void, at 300K per encounter. Other Void enemies are pretty good gil as well. I'm not really familar with what's efficient if you're not ready for the rift yet. Statues are probably pretty good if you can cast L5 death (or can one-shot them with lightning spells or maybe scrolls). Nothing else jumps out to me as potentially that much better than the Trench grinding spot.

edit: if you thief's knife wall rings from Furies in the Dimensional Castle or from Chamcubias in Phoenix tower, that's probably pretty efficient too.

edit2: come to think of it, killing ancient dragons in drakenvale is probably better gil than trench grinding too

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 28, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Run 6, Pure Chaos: Time Mage / Berserker / Dragoon / Dancer completed with a triple crown.

This would have been way way way more painful if I didn't have time mage. I just quick leaked Omega and Shinryu (and Omniscient). Really, quick saved my rear end throughout the NED fight and is the real mvp of this run. I also got a very lucky dragon lance steal from my first attempt with a thief's knife so that also probably saved me since the last part of NED was the dragon part and it had over 10,000 hp. Quick double jump did 14,000ish.

I'm pretty sure I'm done. 6 runs and 4 triple crowns is enough.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 28, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

Statues are probably pretty good if you can cast L5 death (or can one-shot them with lightning spells or maybe scrolls).

Any team can grind statues with gold needles. It's painful, but it works.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I may not be done. Gilgabot gave me another free triple crown (beastmaster) and a ton of inconsistent offense (dancer, samurai, monk)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 28, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Any team can grind statues with gold needles. It's painful, but it works.

I think if you're grinding statues with needles, it's OK in terms of getting AP per unit of time invested, but is pretty inefficient as a gil grind.

e: Specifically, it's pretty clearly more inefficient as a gil grind than lamp farming in the trench, which anyone can do and is already pretty bad.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 28, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Each statue is worth 507 gil, and a gold needle costs 150 gil, so yeah, it's slow. But if it's all you can handle or you need AP as well, it is an option.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Maigius posted:

Where is a good place to grind money in world 3?

Depending on your party, Phoenix Tower is really great. You just need to have someone that can disable all the ladies' counters. They're human, so they're susceptible to just about everything, but nothing cripples them totally like Frog. So do not hit them until they are disabled, then let someone go to town on each one of them in order with the Thief Knife (obviously if you have a Thief, even better, just Steal from them). Just about everything you can get from them sells for a ton:

Mega64's Steal Guide posted:

Coral Ring - Parthenope (R)
Elven Mantle - Cherie (R)
Rainbow Dress - Parthenope (C)
Red Shoes - Cherie (C)
Reflect Ring - Lemure (C)
Ribbon - Lemure (C)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1034969407712313344

Another one that would have qualified for my toxx, and I could have done this at a significantly lower level if I wanted to put in a bit of effort. 13/13 triple crowns this year.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

derra posted:

Ok, I’ll get in on this. You guys fight too much.

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns
2) with a total party level under 100 and
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

Samuel Clemens, Huzzah!, berenzen, Saigyouji, blakelmenakle, Mega64, Orange Fluffy Sheep**, Cattail Prophet, Poque, Derra’s Wife

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

MagusDraco posted:

Run 6, Pure Chaos: Time Mage / Berserker / Dragoon / Dancer completed with a triple crown.

This would have been way way way more painful if I didn't have time mage. I just quick leaked Omega and Shinryu (and Omniscient). Really, quick saved my rear end throughout the NED fight and is the real mvp of this run. I also got a very lucky dragon lance steal from my first attempt with a thief's knife so that also probably saved me since the last part of NED was the dragon part and it had over 10,000 hp. Quick double jump did 14,000ish.

I'm pretty sure I'm done. 6 runs and 4 triple crowns is enough.

Hey, there's another one for my Quickleak :toxx:!

Bufuman (hey!)
Serene Dragon
derra('s wife)
MagusDraco

Kind of a bare list. You'd think that giving people a full month of notice would've been enough to get more than a few people on it. Maybe I'll kick in a few extra bucks just for the hell of it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I just haven't even gotten Time Mage except for the first year. Chock full o' triple crowns this time though.

And it could be worse, I was the only person to do my :toxx: (granted, it was a small :1bux:, but the Randomizer is still a cool program)!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So real life ended up side-lining me this summer (in a good way, though) and I never even got around to finishing my first run. Guess that makes me a failure.

Know who isn't a failure though? These dudes (or dudettes; I don't know you) who all fulfilled my dragonslayer incentive:
  1. SKULL.GIF
  2. Poque
  3. OzFactor
  4. Magus Draco
  5. Havenwaters
  6. Mountaineer
  7. Mustard Iceman
I've donated $10 per kill, as promised, for a total of $70. Imgur's currently buggin' out on me, but I'll upload the screenshot for proof as soon as I'm able. Wanted to get this post in though in case it takes awhile, or in case anyone wants to direct me to their post I missed where they totally did this too, pay up.

Good work my warriors of light. Now we are finally cowboys.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bad Seafood posted:

So real life ended up side-lining me this summer (in a good way, though) and I never even got around to finishing my first run. Guess that makes me a failure.

Know who isn't a failure though? These dudes (or dudettes; I don't know you) who all fulfilled my dragonslayer incentive:
  1. SKULL.GIF
  2. Poque
  3. OzFactor
  4. Magus Draco
  5. Havenwaters
  6. Mountaineer
  7. Mustard Iceman
I've donated $10 per kill, as promised, for a total of $70. Imgur's currently buggin' out on me, but I'll upload the screenshot for proof as soon as I'm able. Wanted to get this post in though in case it takes awhile, or in case anyone wants to direct me to their post I missed where they totally did this too, pay up.

Good work my warriors of light. Now we are finally cowboys.

I really liked that challenge, but I feel like I cheesed it by having a time mage. Thanks for the donation!!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Magusdraco is Havenwaters just FYI. I changed my name cause "gently caress it just gonna use the one I've used since I was 10."

Sorry about the miscount

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Since I've gotta close up before the donation deadline and wont be finishing my run I decided to do the full $250.

:toxx: fufilled, thanks everyone.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Decided to push to the finish line yesterday, which really wasn't hard. I had this run lying dormant for at least a month while playing a lot of FF12 instead, and honestly it was just too boring to get interested in. I had stopped after half-assedly doing some sidequests in W3, but I really couldn't be bothered with Trench/Falls because what's the point? There is no need to power up a team like this that can subsist entirely on two jobs: Summoner and Bard. The Ninja didn't do much after I got Syldra, eventually just also summoning things, and Mime is not particularly useful in this setup except for saving MP on summons.

When I picked it back up I just immediately went into the Void because I had done my customary 3-Hermes-Sandals-shopping already, and it took me up until looking at the equipment before NED to realize that my best caster armor was still the Gaia Gear I had bought to power up Titan way back when. It really didn't matter in the slightest.

NED got two actions which were countered by Golem and Carbuncle, respectively, and then drowned in 8000+ damage per part Syldras real quick.

I can't be assed to walk back out, buy Flame Rings or whatever and do the other two crowns, I'm happy that I finished in time. A bit sad, this run. I even walked around the map but didn't pick up the Mirage Vest, so the Ninja is wearing a Ninja Suit from the loving Library! Nothing matters with Summoner and Bard!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Simply Simon posted:

Decided to push to the finish line yesterday, which really wasn't hard. I had this run lying dormant for at least a month while playing a lot of FF12 instead, and honestly it was just too boring to get interested in. I had stopped after half-assedly doing some sidequests in W3, but I really couldn't be bothered with Trench/Falls because what's the point? There is no need to power up a team like this that can subsist entirely on two jobs: Summoner and Bard. The Ninja didn't do much after I got Syldra, eventually just also summoning things, and Mime is not particularly useful in this setup except for saving MP on summons.

When I picked it back up I just immediately went into the Void because I had done my customary 3-Hermes-Sandals-shopping already, and it took me up until looking at the equipment before NED to realize that my best caster armor was still the Gaia Gear I had bought to power up Titan way back when. It really didn't matter in the slightest.

NED got two actions which were countered by Golem and Carbuncle, respectively, and then drowned in 8000+ damage per part Syldras real quick.

I can't be assed to walk back out, buy Flame Rings or whatever and do the other two crowns, I'm happy that I finished in time. A bit sad, this run. I even walked around the map but didn't pick up the Mirage Vest, so the Ninja is wearing a Ninja Suit from the loving Library! Nothing matters with Summoner and Bard!

Triple Crown is basically free with that party, at least if you bothered to get a Power Staff (or Wonder Wand, but that takes a little bit of time to set up). You don't need Flame Rings at all. Still, I can understand the burnout. This is definitely a "hold A to win" party (well Matrix version, so press Auto-Battle and watch Netflix or whatever to win).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ya I know I can triple super easy

But I don't wanna

Next Summoner I get will be job faired away, it's just the worst job from an entertainment perspective. You just win.