Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

Interesting. When you have them in, are they completely inside your ear hole?

Nononono Don't ever shape them to go in your ear canal. Just leave it in a vague ball and jam it in your ear. It fills the lobe and thats it. Very comfortable that way, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ Thanks, bro.

builds character posted:

For me, no. I just mash them into place and it makes a seal all around the ear hole. Maybe a little nub goes in but it’s almost all outside. Unlike, for example, the foam ones.

Good to know! I assumed it was more like foam ones and was wondering how to get them the gently caress out afterward. Aight. I will try this silly putty.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Make sure they're a little beyond flush with the rim of your rathole, though. I can see them leaving residue on your helmet pads.

edit: phone autocorrected earhole but I'm just going to leave it as rathole.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 30, 2018

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

If you love the KTM get it, but the 390 has a few known issues with dash water ingress and rear shocks pissing oil. It's a euro bike, it'll have eccentricities.

Though the Honda 500s are absolutely truly bulletproof. I did 30 thousand KM most of that bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear and zero issues other than burning oil, a riding mate had one too and is selling it now with 100 thousand km on it and the only non wear part to need replacement in that time was a water pump, though he rode his a bit kinder than I did. Every part is overbuilt by a factor of 50%

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Make sure they're a little beyond flush with the rim of your rathole, though. I can see them leaving residue on your helmet pads.

edit: phone autocorrected earhole but I'm just going to leave it as rathole.

How often do you type rathole?

Which reminds me I should check if there's a new season of Futureman on the way

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

Nononono Don't ever shape them to go in your ear canal. Just leave it in a vague ball and jam it in your ear. It fills the lobe and thats it. Very comfortable that way, too.

OK, these shits work at least as well as foamies. How do you tend to store them when you arrive at your destination? I like that I can just jam foamies or fitted plugs into my butt pocket.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

OK, these shits work at least as well as foamies. How do you tend to store them when you arrive at your destination? I like that I can just jam foamies or fitted plugs into my butt pocket.

Did yours not come with a little plastic box?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Did yours not come with a little plastic box?

They came with one, but there are 4 plugs - I am not gonna drag all of them with me - and I left 2 spares in the box at home. Also it seems annoying to have a square box on one's person. I am just using a disposable plastic cup at work.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just ripped off. Little square of parchment/wax paper and folded it in half. Toss them in there and filled over however and they stay put and don't gather dust. Worked for me.

I'm really glad you tried them and they are working. Thank you!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I feel super wasteful now cause I just buy a giant box of hearos and keep a baggie of them in my tank bag. I trash em when i get to my destination and throw in a fresh pair on the way back.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

They came with one, but there are 4 plugs - I am not gonna drag all of them with me - and I left 2 spares in the box at home. Also it seems annoying to have a square box on one's person. I am just using a disposable plastic cup at work.

Huh. I think I only got one pair.

One thing that's really useful to me for a ton of different bike related uses is a bunch of tiny ziploc bags, like what you'd buy a gram of weed in. I keep those with a couple pairs of disposables in them in all my jackets and tank bags because inevitably I'll lose some or a riding buddy will. They're also good for keeping track of little bits of hardware during maintenance that takes more than a day or so.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Quite A Tool posted:

I feel super wasteful now cause I just buy a giant box of hearos and keep a baggie of them in my tank bag. I trash em when i get to my destination and throw in a fresh pair on the way back.

I have thrown away only 1 pair disposable foam plugs. I wash these shits after use.

tiny ziploc bags, like what you'd buy a gram of weed in.

I like it how you assume I know what these are :]. Personally I prefer tackle boxes for maintenance sorting out, but zip locks do sound useful.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You can get them in all sorts of fun patterns too.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 31, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

I thought that's what 99% of us did

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll reuse foamies until they get gross.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Casual Encountess posted:

what’s the most cyberpunk bike? i need something to dream about. the ninja 250 is more than i need now but i need goals.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pokie posted:

I have thrown away only 1 pair disposable foam plugs. I wash these shits after use.

I like it how you assume I know what these are :]. Personally I prefer tackle boxes for maintenance sorting out, but zip locks do sound useful.

Just cut off the fingers of some nitrile gloves and leave that in your pocket. Put the ear plugs in the finger and they'll be protected from gunk and still flexible in your pocket.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

I find they stop working right the second they get damp. How do you wash them and why?

It was presumptuous of him to think you knew what those bags were in relation to weed. If it helps, it's the same type of bag you get your coke in.

Quite A Tool posted:

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought that's what 99% of us did

You monsters. Just this morning I was lamenting that I have to toss them after a week. Don't trash the planet needlessly please.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I find they stop working right the second they get damp. How do you wash them and why?

It was presumptuous of him to think you knew what those bags were in relation to weed. If it helps, it's the same type of bag you get your coke in.

You monsters. Just this morning I was lamenting that I have to toss them after a week. Don't trash the planet needlessly please.

Yeah, just keep using them till they're gross. Keep your ears clean and they'll last even longer.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

I have not observed this, and I have ridden with slightly damp ear plugs. But the process is simple - a tiny bit of soap and a steam of water :v. Just like you would wash your fingers. I have a little dish on a shelf in my bathroom for my ear plugs to dry. That said, I have done this consistently for only about a year and a half before I got custom hard ear plugs (which I also wash but they are trivial to dry). Custom plugs are getting repaired now; hence all the renewed interest in alternatives.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I love the design of that bike but hate that it's a single cylinder and hate that it's like twice the cost more expensive than a duke 690

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf7uyYa0LU

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 31, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mewse posted:

I love the design of that bike but hate that it's a single cylinder and hate that it's like twice the cost of a duke 690

Thumpers are the best. :colbert:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

mewse posted:

I love the design of that bike but hate that it's a single cylinder and hate that it's like twice the cost more expensive than a duke 690

The only vitpilen review I've seen that isn't just quoting press material.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pun pundit posted:

Showing clips from the jay leno vid seemed like a subtle jab

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

pun pundit posted:

I've found that to be a general issue. (Or at least when I was researching the motoguzzi v7)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

took the ninja on the streets of boston for the first time today. really not bad because i have such a high level of situational awareness from being a bike messenger for so long. my biggest problem was not riding like i’m on my bike i’m pretty good at enforcing my lane and keeping my head on a swivel. i’m not nearly as graceful as i am on my bike and that feels bad but i’ll figure it out eventually. i’m glad i already know where all the major uber deathtraps are in town so that’s a plus

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

so what are some hot tips and tricks to atgatt while not absolutely melting because goddamn it’s hot out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mesh gear, open all your vents, don't slow down. I'm fine up to 100 in all my leather as long as I keep moving.

Also it's over 100 degrees (body temperature, really) you will actually stay cooler if you close everything up and keep the air out.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

so what are some hot tips and tricks to atgatt while not absolutely melting because goddamn it’s hot out

If its super hot you can soak one of those neck-sleeve things in cold water and put it around your neck. Good gloves help too.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also do y’all have opinions on bluetooth stuff? i don’t really have motorcycle friends i mostly just want to play music in my helmet and get nav so can i just get something lovely off amazon or should i get the freecom 1? i know sena is the top choice but i don’t really need to throw bills like that yet

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

also do y’all have opinions on bluetooth stuff? i don’t really have motorcycle friends i mostly just want to play music in my helmet and get nav so can i just get something lovely off amazon or should i get the freecom 1? i know sena is the top choice but i don’t really need to throw bills like that yet

Why not just get a cheap set of earbuds and go wired for now?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

that’s what i’m doing and it blows

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I haven't tried it myself, but one of my students has both a Sena system and this $50 unit and he says the cheap one sounds way better:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Communication-BT-S2-Interphone/dp/B01FRY1GC4/

I'm considering picking one up to give it a shot. I mean after all it is completely waterproo

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got the sena for my schuberth and even then it can be a pain in the rear end with connecting to my phone, but it seems to have settled down lately for whatever reason.

I got some friends who have some other random makes and with us all the going consensus is if you are trying to interface with an iPhone it probably isn't going to work or work properly so keep this in mind. Headphones will definitely be your best bet if this is the case.

That being said the Sena if it works for you is pretty dope. Music, navigation, and the ability to hang up on everyone's calls is pretty good.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

not caring here posted:

I got the sena for my schuberth and even then it can be a pain in the rear end with connecting to my phone, but it seems to have settled down lately for whatever reason.

I got some friends who have some other random makes and with us all the going consensus is if you are trying to interface with an iPhone it probably isn't going to work or work properly so keep this in mind. Headphones will definitely be your best bet if this is the case.

That being said the Sena if it works for you is pretty dope. Music, navigation, and the ability to hang up on everyone's calls is pretty good.

I have a Sena smh10 that I’ve had for years. It pairs perfectly to every iPhone I’ve owned plus a BMW Navigator 6. It works great!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah i feel like that’s a factually wrong statement because i use a variety of bluetooth speakers (12 so far) for my bicycle jobs and i’ve used everything from 8 dollar 7-11 speakers to overly expensive bose ones. the apple bt stack is pretty good. i’ve seen more problems with speakers from my coworkers with cheap androids that may or may not have great 4.0 implementations

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

if anything it’s poor quality receivers

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Look I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule. Not saying it's the phone, don't know if it's the units. But the dudes I know have had enough problems that we figure it's something to warn people about before you blow hundreds of dollars.

The obvious course of action is to buy from a place that will accept a return, and not from a place that won't.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

not caring here posted:

The obvious course of action is to buy from a place that will accept a return, and not from a place that won't.

And some retailers (RevZilla) won't take a return on a BT unit or any other electronic item once the box has been opened. Someone could drag their sweaty balls all over a helmet liner, box it back up, and return it np, but god forbid someone cuts a piece of shrink wrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My experience with automotive BT was that BT is a poo poo garbage standard/protocol/whatever and there's no guarantee any particular device will get along with any other particular device with no pattern or logic to it whatsoever.

I was working on cars that were literally brand new current model year, and already getting patch updates because most customers' phones were only a couple of years older than the car and that made them too new for the stereo.