Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

Best last names I've seen here:
Sixkiller
Tenkiller
Hogshooter
Fagg

the republican candidate for senate in montana was almost Russ Fagg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's an Australian politician with the surname Goodenough.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Istari posted:

There's an Australian politician with the surname Goodenough.

Please tell me their campaign signs were just "Goodenough for government work"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There's a waste disposal company near me called 'Goodenough Rubbish Removal'. I always imagine them just saying 'meh' and tossing it over their shoulder.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

goethe.cx posted:

the republican candidate for senate in montana was almost Russ Fagg
Between that and Idaho giving us Butch Otter and Mike Crapo, I think there's just something in the water in that part of the country.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The guy that got the Democratic nomination in Fagg's state is named Jon Tester. That would have been quite the race.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Woman blocked from creating social media account due to offensive name!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12116225

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Child actress in a tv show: Connie-Kiss Mee

Poor kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Winner today: Fleshia.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

This sounds like a skin disease.

I work in a school with kids named Reminisce and Kinglloyd.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

marshmallow creep posted:

My gut tells me this was supposed to be Felicia, but something went wrong.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I was reading a fluff article about a pet hedgehog, and got to this part:

quote:

Her six daughters — Tatumn, 16; Breckynn, 14; Dreamer, 13; Harmony, 11; Legend, 9; and Sparrow, 7 — are important to her. She has their initials tattooed along her wrist and wears a silver necklace with their names.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
From my parenting forum:

Bobbidy (girl) and Tug (boy)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hyperhazard posted:

I was reading a fluff article about a pet hedgehog, and got to this part:

I don't get it, those are great hedgehog names

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

genetic_knockout posted:

From my parenting forum:

Bobbidy (girl) and Tug (boy)

Named after what they'll do when old enough.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I read the last 7 or so posts and thought I was in the X-men or comic book movie threads.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i just got flashbacks from the leno show and got sad because of all the time i wasted watching that garbage

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
One of my colleagues in the Shanghai office uses a Western first name to ingratiate him with the London office. His name is Morning Shi.

Luckily it is pronounced 'Shee'. But reading it does look like 'morning poo poo'.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Pheaby

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Pennant posted:

One of my colleagues in the Shanghai office uses a Western first name to ingratiate him with the London office. His name is Morning Shi.

Luckily it is pronounced 'Shee'. But reading it does look like 'morning poo poo'.

I'll never get Chinese pronunciation. I've definitely heard Shi pronounced like "sure" before. I'm assuming in Chinese the characters must be different to tell the pronunciations apart.

PureRok has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Sep 2, 2018

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I got a girl at work who is gonna be Cheyenne Nation when she marries. She says she's naming her kids after native american tribes.

...she also likes guns and told me all about her Glock.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pennant posted:

PureRok posted:

I'll never get Chinese pronunciation. I've definitely heard Shi pronounced like "sure" before. I'm assuming in Chinese the characters must be different to tell the pronunciation's apart.

Lion-Eating Poet In The Stone Den.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't see how that's supposed to work but I guess it must if somebody wrote a textbook about it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

I got a girl at work who is gonna be Cheyenne Nation when she marries. She says she's naming her kids after native american tribes.

...she also likes guns and told me all about her Glock.

It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head
I tell you, life ain't easy for a boy named Sioux.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

I legit laughed at this one. It's not as if Phoebe is easy to spell, but at least it's been around long enough for society to figure it out. Like Gwyneth, we all kind of know how to spell it even if it sounds hard to spell. But to change it to make it "unique" or whatever, that's just mean to that kid.

I was at a garage sale this weekend, and I overheard two women laughing about their shared names:
"I spell it K-r-i-s-t-y-n!"
"I spell it K-r-y-s-t-i-n!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

VorpalBunny posted:

I legit laughed at this one. It's not as if Phoebe is easy to spell, but at least it's been around long enough for society to figure it out. Like Gwyneth, we all kind of know how to spell it even if it sounds hard to spell. But to change it to make it "unique" or whatever, that's just mean to that kid.

I see this a lot, and find it really odd. Like, naming your child Amon instead of Eamon, or Aron instead of Aaron, isn't making anything easier, it's just forcing them to correct people on the spelling of their otherwise-relatively-easily-understood name.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At least you can pretend that Amon was named after the Egyptian god.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Or the bad guy from Schindler's List.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Istari posted:

I see this a lot, and find it really odd. Like, naming your child Amon instead of Eamon, or Aron instead of Aaron, isn't making anything easier, it's just forcing them to correct people on the spelling of their otherwise-relatively-easily-understood name.

Unless you're in Ireland, or maybe the UK, Eamon is nowhere near relatively easily understood. I have been dealing with people mispronouncing it for 27 years. At least here in the US, people always mispronounce it if they read it, or if I introduce myself, they can say it, but have no idea how to spell it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

One of the Democratic candidates for Lt Governor in Massachusetts is named Jimmy Tingle.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Beardless posted:

Unless you're in Ireland, or maybe the UK, Eamon is nowhere near relatively easily understood. I have been dealing with people mispronouncing it for 27 years. At least here in the US, people always mispronounce it if they read it, or if I introduce myself, they can say it, but have no idea how to spell it.

I'm in Australia, and it's common enough where I live that people certainly know how to read it, but maybe not how to write it.

But the point still stands for Mathew and Haymish, etc.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Sep 4, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Aphrodite posted:

It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head
I tell you, life ain't easy for a boy named Sioux.

I appreciated this.

Crossposting from the weird articles thread:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=26336838

Best part:
quote:
The New York Daily News also reports that he was attacked by monkeys twice, once because he wandered too close to a simian while in the Amazon. The second time was the result of a joke, of sorts, played by his wife.

She locked Norrie in a cage with a small monkey, which then proceeded to bite, hit and pelt him with his own keys. His wife, Spryng, wasn't worried, though.

"She took photos and giggled," he said

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

TLC has yet another show about a family who just had a bunch of babies.

The sextuplets are:
Blu
Layke
Rawlings
Rayne
Tag
Rivers.
No, I don't know which are the boys and which are the girls.

Even better (or worse?), the three older brothers are Bridge, Sailor, and Wells.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Why do people who have a shitload of kids always give them the worst names?

Content: Juandrea

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why do people who have a shitload of kids always give them the worst names?

Content: Juandrea

A large number of them are Mormons and Mormons just have this thing for weird names.
Others have 3 kids with normal names, get a divorce, then get remarried to a fellow nerd they met at the Oscar party for ROTK and name their next kid Eowyn.
I still love her name. At least it's not Rayghn or Karshtynn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Saw a document today for Deicide :black101: