Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pththya-lyi posted:

FWIW I've been catcalled by men of all colors, a veritable rainbow of street harassers

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

:sympathy:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Try wearing a dress on the strip in Vegas. They won't even check to see if you're a lady or a drag queen before they holler at you. That was a hellish experience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zelder posted:

Seriously though why'd they edit out all the White guys

White feminism.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

jit bull transpile posted:

Try wearing a dress on the strip in Vegas. They won't even check to see if you're a lady or a drag queen before they holler at you. That was a hellish experience.

I've learned to dress modestly/boyishly. Doesn't stop it every time, but it helps. Same with not making sustained eye contact.

Sadly, I've found the best way to prevent being street harassed is to have a man with you. I can't remember a time it's happened to me when I was with my husband or my dad, only when I was alone or with other women.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've learned to dress modestly/boyishly. Doesn't stop it every time, but it helps. Same with not making sustained eye contact.

Sadly, I've found the best way to prevent being street harassed is to have a man with you. I can't remember a time it's happened to me when I was with my husband or my dad, only when I was alone or with other women.

I'm gay married so it's double your pleasure for street harassment for us. Thanks Obama!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Jesus, it sucks you and your wife both get it. I'm sorry.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

Its not Jim Carrey in the nightclub as the Mask but walking through a large metropolitan city in the US, particularly NYC, it certainly isnt unheard of. For example, this understandably got a lot of attention again last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Anyone got the whole New Zealand version, where nothing happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmWcpIuoPWQ

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

It's stories like this that always keep me from approaching women in public. I have no idea how many guys have tried to flirt with her. So I end up leaving them alone thinking it's better if I don't make there day worse :gbsmith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tetracube posted:

imagine being a hardcore ted cruz fan
Is that his mom? Or like his aunt or something? I mean if I was in the Senate I imagine my aunts would support me.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Case in point, a man rushes in to tell us what is and isn't demeaning and threatening to women.

Mischaracterize away, make terse presumptions from threadbare context, that will absolutely help win hearts and change minds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This guy keeps showing up and telling me my opinions suck, is there any way we could make him say nice things instead? Thank you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sazabi posted:

It's stories like this that always keep me from approaching women in public. I have no idea how many guys have tried to flirt with her. So I end up leaving them alone thinking it's better if I don't make there day worse :gbsmith:

Don't approach women in public to flirt with them. There are spaces where it's ok to hit on women, and others where it's appropriate to strike up a conversation and ask if they wanna grab a coffee later, and in public is neither of those.

5er posted:

Mischaracterize away, make terse presumptions from threadbare context, that will absolutely help win hearts and change minds.

You were more than happy to post your opinion about what women should think in a situation for which you personally have no context and they do. That's not a card you get to play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

That video is bullshit just for the fact they edited out all the white people

So only one white dude made it into the video out of "hundreds of instances" and ten hours of footage.

I'm not saying cat calling doesn't exist but that video is pure bullshit.

why though

like those dudes weren't paid actors so the video obviously isn't bullshit

this weird emphasis on the lack of white dudes is pointless and distracting, who gives a gently caress what race the dudes are that's not important

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

evilmiera posted:

This guy keeps showing up and telling me my opinions suck, is there any way we could make him say nice things instead? Thank you.

I just want to talk about learning and growth and not politics in this meet up about a politically contentious figure!

I also just want to talk about landscape paintings and vegetarianism at my adolf hitler meetup, but people keep bringing politics into it. it's very annoying and rude imho.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Uncle Wemus posted:

Real magical little girl animes are made for adult men.

everybody knows that large adult men are the intended target audience for every kind of cartoon ever, you boob :rolleyes:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zelder posted:

Seriously though why'd they edit out all the White guys

It would be foolish to think that only white guys do it. Why not believe the people when they said the audio was bad? In a less diverse city there would be a larger proportion of white guys.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Where are the asian cat-calls? The lizard-people cat-calls? The cat cat-calls?! This video reeks to high heaven of dishonesty!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Making fun of Jordan Peterson is fine.

Making fun of Jordan Peterson because he discovered a severe food allergy late in life seems weak given all the other poo poo you could tease him about. He uses overtly flowery language to explain simple concepts.

I like listening to Jordan Peterson when comes on the JRE, but I also know that some of his deeply rooted religious and Cambellian beliefs have given him some weird brain worms, and I dont take advice from him about how to live my life or eat. His voice is soothing and I appreciate his views on some stuff.

As an aside, one of my work friends is traffic-stoppingly gorgeous when she gets dolled up and she and Ive been walking down the sidewalk holding her loving hand and still has dudes holler. Im 61 and have a beard, literally holding on to her and people still hoot and holler.

PRO-TIP: if youre ever about to try to tell a women that any form of harassment seems innocuous, stop and ask yourself has that ever happened to me? If the answer is no, try asking a question whats wrong with that? instead or making a statement Nothing is wrong with that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only good idea Jordan Peterson has ever had is killing himself by only eating beef and salt

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was walking home and a very attractive woman was in front of me, I was with my wife and kid, just as we passed her this white dude bro came up to get getting in her space among get where she was going and to come with him.

Right in front of a married couple and 4 year old child! I immediately stopped walking and my wife and I stared the guy down until he left. Wife asked her to walk with us. So she walked with us and despite now appearing to be part of a four person family unit there were still three more guys that shouted comments at her and openly gawked at her. Cause I guess when women exercise they aren't allowed to wear clothes that fit their body and make their shape visible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bust Rodd posted:

Making fun of Jordan Peterson because he discovered a severe food allergy late in life
Lol.
Dude says he literally didn't sleep for a month, when science says your poo poo would be wrecked after 2 weeks (to the point you'd probably die).
Right. I'm so sure it was a food allergy and not, like, rancid cider/the sin of Not Beefing. If it's true at all.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Making fun of Jordan Peterson because he discovered a severe food allergy late in life seems weak given all the other poo poo you could tease him about. He uses overtly flowery language to explain simple concepts.

I like listening to Jordan Peterson when comes on the JRE, but I also know that some of his deeply rooted religious and Cambellian beliefs have given him some weird brain worms, and I don’t take advice from him about how to live my life or eat. His voice is soothing and I appreciate his views on some stuff.

As an aside, one of my work friends is traffic-stoppingly gorgeous when she gets dolled up and she and I’ve been walking down the sidewalk holding her loving hand and still has dudes holler. I’m 6’1 and have a beard, literally holding on to her and people still hoot and holler.

PRO-TIP: if you’re ever about to try to tell a women that any form of harassment seems innocuous, stop and ask yourself “has that ever happened to me?” If the answer is no, try asking a question “what’s wrong with that?” instead or making a statement “Nothing is wrong with that.”

Nothing and no one is gonna stop me from dunking on lobster man

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Cause I guess when women exercise they aren't allowed to wear clothes that fit their body and make their shape visible.

It's not about what a woman does, other than "exist where men can see her."

It's entirely the men going, "I have a reaction to this woman, so I am justified in bugging her about it. Her feelings on this do not exist."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It makes no difference how women are dressed. Its about expressing dominance and negating the humanity and subjectivity of another person. As was said earlier in this or another thread, its why 4chan is photoshopping David Hogg into a girl and writing erotic stories about David Hogg as a girl.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Zelder posted:

Nothing and no one is gonna stop me from dunking on lobster man

i haven't seen you dunk on anyone

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The men were reacting to her body. It absolutely isn't about what she was doing, but their reactions to her would make her feel that way. Would make her feel "maybe if I had hid my body I wouldn't be harassed", or worse " I should have just exercised inside where men wouldn't see me at all". That's what women might feel when harassed and what our culture tells them.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

business hammocks posted:

It makes no difference how women are dressed. Its about expressing dominance and negating the humanity and subjectivity of another person. As was said earlier in this or another thread, its why 4chan is photoshopping David Hogg into a girl and writing erotic stories about David Hogg as a girl.

Kind of related to this, but I used to have very long thick hair (I'm a dude), and that was enough for almost daily street harassment and a couple of really weird confrontations, some groping and poo poo. That's not to say I had it just as bad, just that I've had a taste of it (it stopped when I cut my hair :stare: ) and it blows, it really starts to mess with your head, knowing that some rando thinks they can say or do whatever they want to you, yet you are the one who'll look crazy if you kick off. And even then I knew the most I'd end up getting would be an rear end kicking, which is miles off the kind of sexual violence that is implied by street harassers just by virtue of the fact that they are speaking to a woman.
If someone seems to be overreacting to something on the street, it's usually because they'e a) recognizing a pattern and getting in front of it, and b) loving tired of getting hassled by creepy dudes.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ligament posted:

everybody knows that large adult men are the intended target audience for every kind of cartoon ever, you boob :rolleyes:

I can't find the image (it did the rounds maybe 10 years back), but there's a Japanese magazine listing the target demographic/predicted viewer age for a particular new anime, some kind of magical girl thing I think. The female target/predicted demographic was girls aged like 6-13, with the core being 9-11 year old's or similar. For males, it was adult men aged 25-40.

EDIT: dunno if it's just me (I'm tall and fairly androgynous, I've been mistaken for a man multiple times, especially when I have very short hair) or where I live or a combination but as far as I remember I've NEVER been street harassed, though I have a few friends who have. It sounds absolutely horrible and I'm very thankful I've been fortunate enough to avoid it, but I would never even think of denying it existed because it hasn't happened to me, and it would me more rational for me, a woman, to think that than some random dude who isn't even in the target group of 99% of street harassers.

Fatkraken has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Aug 30, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Bust Rodd posted:

I like listening to Jordan Peterson when comes on the JRE, but I also know that some of his deeply rooted religious and Cambellian beliefs have given him some weird brain worms, and I dont take advice from him about how to live my life or eat. His voice is soothing and I appreciate his views on some stuff.

You have a real dad who misses you and wants you to call him and will give you his opinions about children's television and movies without having to subscribe to his Patreon fyi

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

You have a real dad who misses you and wants you to call him and will give you his opinions about children's television and movies without having to subscribe to his Patreon fyi

This is a p funny post but my dad died 20 years ago (cancer) so...

I also dont subscribe to Peterson or anyone on Patreon for that matter, nor his YouTube. What happened was I kept reading Peterson hate on this very forum and was like well Ben Shapiro and Stephen Crowder and Milo Yianopolis are all clinically retarded shitheel bro-cons with awful views, but Ive seen all that with my own eyes, whats JP doing thats just as bad? and honestly I dont understand why he gets lumped in with those colossal morons. The trans-pronoun was drastically overwrought and not nearly as a big a deal as the internet wanted it to be and the only consequence was Peterson making more money in a year than hed made in a lifetime.

I watched his JRE interviews and found the way he talks about :biotruths: but only ever says the literature but never cites sources and his academic interest in human beings as animals and his comparison of us to other animals (the lobster bit) is basically a symptom of high functioning autism, and he will just gloss over weird linguistic distinctions to make his point when the words hes using dont really work for what hes saying.

So yeah I found myself nodding along with some of his points, I think his views on inceldom being tied to female sexual selection is probably his most dangerous and wrong viewpoint, but I dont think hes actively hurting the discussion the way literally everyone else in this thread is.

Ok thats my point I guess, of everyone we tease in the thread its my personal view that Peterson is the most harmless, despite ostensibly having more reach than anyone else we make fun of. I also think he makes a salient point about YouTube being the modern Guttenburgh revolution of our time and that were using it to complain about video games, unpack boxes, and squeeze cleavage at losers by pretending to be their friend is a pretty slice of where were at on the whole.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

A complicatedly powerful self-own, in that its power comes from how pathetic it is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I also don’t subscribe to Peterson or anyone on Patreon for that matter, nor his YouTube. What happened was I kept reading Peterson hate on this very forum and was like “well Ben Shapiro and Stephen Crowder and Milo Yianopolis are all clinically retarded shitheel bro-cons with awful views, but I’ve seen all that with my own eyes, what’s JP doing that’s just as bad?” and honestly I don’t understand why he gets lumped in with those colossal morons. The trans-pronoun was drastically overwrought and not nearly as a big a deal as the internet wanted it to be and the only consequence was Peterson making more money in a year than he’d made in a lifetime.

I watched his JRE interviews and found the way he talks about :biotruths: but only ever says “the literature” but never cites sources and his academic interest in human beings as animals and his comparison of us to other animals (the lobster bit) is basically a symptom of high functioning autism, and he will just gloss over weird linguistic distinctions to make his point when the words he’s using don’t really work for what he’s saying.

So yeah I found myself nodding along with some of his points, I think his views on inceldom being tied to female sexual selection is probably his most dangerous and wrong viewpoint, but I don’t think he’s actively hurting the discussion the way literally everyone else in this thread is.

Ok that’s my point I guess, of everyone we tease in the thread it’s my personal view that Peterson is the most harmless, despite ostensibly having more reach than anyone else we make fun of. I also think he makes a salient point about YouTube being the modern Guttenburgh revolution of our time and that we’re using it to complain about video games, unpack boxes, and squeeze cleavage at losers by pretending to be their friend is a pretty slice of where we’re at on the whole.

What are his good arguments?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Bust Rodd posted:

I also dont subscribe to Peterson or anyone on Patreon for that matter, nor his YouTube. What happened was I kept reading Peterson hate on this very forum and was like well Ben Shapiro and Stephen Crowder and Milo Yianopolis are all clinically retarded shitheel bro-cons with awful views, but Ive seen all that with my own eyes, whats JP doing thats just as bad? and honestly I dont understand why he gets lumped in with those colossal morons. The trans-pronoun was drastically overwrought and not nearly as a big a deal as the internet wanted it to be and the only consequence was Peterson making more money in a year than hed made in a lifetime.

I watched his JRE interviews and found the way he talks about :biotruths: but only ever says the literature but never cites sources and his academic interest in human beings as animals and his comparison of us to other animals (the lobster bit) is basically a symptom of high functioning autism, and he will just gloss over weird linguistic distinctions to make his point when the words hes using dont really work for what hes saying.

So yeah I found myself nodding along with some of his points, I think his views on inceldom being tied to female sexual selection is probably his most dangerous and wrong viewpoint, but I dont think hes actively hurting the discussion the way literally everyone else in this thread is.

Ok thats my point I guess, of everyone we tease in the thread its my personal view that Peterson is the most harmless, despite ostensibly having more reach than anyone else we make fun of. I also think he makes a salient point about YouTube being the modern Guttenburgh revolution of our time and that were using it to complain about video games, unpack boxes, and squeeze cleavage at losers by pretending to be their friend is a pretty slice of where were at on the whole.

lol

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!
yikes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

A complicatedly powerful self-own, in that its power comes from how pathetic it is.

Someone will try to put a trans person into a videogame and he'll very conveniently forget how he feels about outrage

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

FWIW I've been catcalled by men of all colors, a veritable rainbow of street harassers

I, a man, have been catcalled and it's always such a discombobulating and frankly amusing situation. Complete dude privilege. I never have to worry about possibly being overpowered or attacked, I can't imagine what that's like.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

So here is an honest question. I will randomly shout out random words of encouragement to being jogging down the street. Nothing to do with the way they look and I don't single out women. I saw stuff like "Keep it up." or "I believe in you". i'm not trying to make people unfortable I'm just being a goofball. Would those people that have been harassed before count that sort of thing? I realise that my intentions don't really matter.