Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Also the build path for Rabadon's is incredibly awkward early game, if you're not a pro with great CS able to sustain until a good back timing and potentially survive an opponent with an item advantage, trying to build it first item is gonna set you back a ton. At best, you'll be unable to pressure your opponent and they'll run rampant over you and your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I will do one last round tonight. I will do one game as my usual self and then another as CDR and will see how it goes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://lolalytics.com/ranked/worldwide/platinum/plus/champion/Vladimir/Middle/ http://na.op.gg/champion/vladimir/statistics/mid

Use these sites or similar sites to look up by-the-numbers data on what people build, what works, what tanks your winrate, take things with a grain of salt if there is only a couple percentage points of player data for something.

Example is 72.5% of vlad players build protobelt first with a 50.75% winrate, but 3% build a deathcap with a 56% winrate, what you should take from these numbers is that despite a -vast- amount of people building protobelt first, it's still a positive winrate over many, many games and that if someone is building deathcap first around the same time of protobelt they are winning their game very hard very early to afford it and can probably win no matter how they spend their gold.

Another thing you can take from this site is boot win % data, building defensive boots like tabi/merc over offensive ones tanks the winrate, which tells you 1: you need the offense they give and 2: champs that put you into situations where you'd want the tenacity or reduced damage counter you well and you can just run over CCless teams.

Also don't decide things on a single game of experience, you could run up against the babytown team one game and get stomped by smurfs the next, leaving a bad impression or cause you to give up after 1 game because it went so badly.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 30, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, your logic that protobelt functions like Force Staff is wrong. Force Staff is purely for mobility/utility it has no other purpose, Prot-belt is for increasing burst in a fight whilst supplying small mobility and a bunch of cdr and health.

Protobelt has almost no utility use in game, which is why it's only built on close range mages to help them stick instead of everyone like force-staff tends to be.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

as a side, i loved the volibear in the second game. that guy was a solo queue hero

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Protobelt is also hilarious for BMing someone when they think they've gotten out of a fight they were losing only to die to a Protobelt missile.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

pog boyfriend posted:

as a side, i loved the volibear in the second game. that guy was a solo queue hero

That second game was pretty dicey. I thought for sure that Zed was going to tilt over the edge and that he was going to give up.

That base race was loving hilarious.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Pwease dont take advice from reddit

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I take back my poo poo-talking from yesterday. If you're willing to put yourself out there by streaming your games then this chat is interesting again. It was fun to watch you play.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

That second game was pretty dicey. I thought for sure that Zed was going to tilt over the edge and that he was going to give up.

That base race was loving hilarious.

the enemy team simply refused to win that game and did everything in their power to throw, your prediction fame eerily true and eventually after enough stupid plays they finally lost. the kog was the straw that broke the camels back

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

saltylopez posted:

I take back my poo poo-talking from yesterday. If you're willing to put yourself out there by streaming your games then this chat is interesting again. It was fun to watch you play.

Thank you!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

pog boyfriend posted:

the enemy team simply refused to win that game and did everything in their power to throw, your prediction fame eerily true and eventually after enough stupid plays they finally lost. the kog was the straw that broke the camels back

It is true in dota also but the lower you go the worst people are in ending a game. A big reason why I stopped maining draven and switched to vlad was for scaling. I don't tilt normally in game but I lost a lot of games late game as draven because we couldnt group. At least with vlad, the later the game goes the stronger you get.

Because I don't know much about league I actually enjoy myself quite a bit because I never really flame. Dota is the opposite where I am pretty toxic and I can tell it tilts people. I am trying to be more positive in dotes but i will say I am actually proud I am honor 5 in league because I have made the effort to not tarnish this account.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Your positive attitude is one of your best traits in game, for real. It probably contributed to the win as much or more than anything else you did as Jhin ha

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
By the way the reason it seemed like fiddle sticks was doing a ton of damage under your tower was because you were tanking like 8 creeps because you walked in front of your tower without minions.

Minions do a great deal of damage especially early game when your armor stat has not scaled with levels or items. When fiddle feared you you tanked him, kog, and like 20 creep auto attacks.

You definitely play at a silver level, especially if you keep making excuses to all of us as to why you are playing the game wrong. A good deal of players here are much more experienced and/or have a much higher ranking than you. Heed their advice. Curtains for Keven in particular is known for making it to Diamond 2 in solo queue.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mechanically i am at least two divisions above my dumb rear end brain, but they dont just award you a win after laning so i have plenty of opportunities to kill myself and lose the game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm the only person I know who actively says is considerably worse mechanically than whatever elo I'm at at any game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Rygar201 posted:

Your positive attitude is one of your best traits in game, for real. It probably contributed to the win as much or more than anything else you did as Jhin ha

This is an underrated performance trait in ranked and it is absolutely going to win you games in nearly every elo.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Elentor posted:

I think I'm the only person I know who actively says is considerably worse mechanically than whatever elo I'm at at any game.

nope, I think I am too

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I haven’t touched ranked since placements because I know I’d get dropped from Gold 5 to Silver because I make the most asinine mistakes and am incapable of playing safe or turning around a losing game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lord_Magmar posted:

I haven’t touched ranked since placements because I know I’d get dropped from Gold 5 to Silver because I make the most asinine mistakes and am incapable of playing safe or turning around a losing game.

This is a big part of why I haven't been playing soloqueue much. I mess around in flex still because I don't care.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
If I stream my lovely plays from silver 4 will you guys all give me awesome notes too? I promise I'll only get kinda mad and make excuses for half of the things you say.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

ok i found the account of the elite500 guy that reddit is trying to ape and i see how it works now but, as tends to be the case with build stuff, there's important components that are kinda missing in the discussion there:

1) elite500 predominantly runs Predator, not Electrocute or anything else
2) elite500's standard build is actually Oblivion Orb -> NLRs -> Deathcap -> Morello, which makes a shitton more sense.

the CDR build will give you more output in teamfighty and siege situation, the elite500 build is designed for you to run towards someone somewhere with predator speed (chances are they're still 'the enemy midlaner' though from the couple of replays i saw) and pick someone off 1v1 before they can respond. it's basically a easier-to-use version of the Spellbinder-core build (because Spellbinder has a massive invisible cooldown in practical terms). so technically the builds are situational but there will end up being one that works more for you than the other so whatever.

but the Oblivion Orb -> Morello part of the core is vital here. essentially, Oblivion Orb + Sorcs mean you're on the verge of dealing true damage to anyone who isn't building a ton of MR. it's a far greater multiplier to your early and mid-game damage than a NLR is, and it's a far, far, far greater multiplier to said damage than completing Deathcap is, even with Dark Seal stacks.

Spudalicious posted:

If I stream my lovely plays from silver 4 will you guys all give me awesome notes too? I promise I'll only get kinda mad and make excuses for half of the things you say.
if anyone wants to stream and/or post replays in this thread i will probably review them maybe

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

(in terms of the side bar on that reddit talking about the Void Staff thing, i think he's generally stopped doing that now, but the conditions for going Void Staff would be that you get an awkward recall, have to back at 850 gold, and so you get the smaller rod as your first item, get a Void Staff when convenient because it does the same basic thing with regards to reducing their MR and amplifying your damage, and then you still want Oblivion Orb at least before you think about Deathcap)

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Chris de Sperg posted:

(in terms of the side bar on that reddit talking about the Void Staff thing, i think he's generally stopped doing that now, but the conditions for going Void Staff would be that you get an awkward recall, have to back at 850 gold, and so you get the smaller rod as your first item, get a Void Staff when convenient because it does the same basic thing with regards to reducing their MR and amplifying your damage, and then you still want Oblivion Orb at least before you think about Deathcap)

I have seen him go double blasting wands quite a bit on stream.

Building void staff sucks. Maybe he goes double wands because it is not as an awkward to just horde until you hit 1250 for a NLR.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

I have seen him go double blasting wands quite a bit on stream.

Building void staff sucks. Maybe he goes double wands because it is not as an awkward to just horde until you hit 1250 for a NLR.
you ignore 40% of their MR before mpen and it's only 2650 (so 1800 to complete including tome), if a major target is going to have a negatron or a spectre's cowl at 1.5 items then it's cromulent to have it completed by about that time. but yes, it's not ideal and you probably have to be in a place where you're forced into double wands (note: forced, as in "you had to take two recalls in a row where you literally couldn't stay until 1250 or 1500) which shouldn't be happening to you really in silver

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elentor posted:

yeah, but you probably also know stuff like "what do my buttons do" that is an optional thing for me.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Think this is last night I am going to stream unless people want me to keep going but I am going to try again.

https://www.twitch.tv/enigma89

Going to alternate between my usual and what you guys are recommending for builds.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 31, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

yeah, but you probably also know stuff like "what do my buttons do" that is an optional thing for me.

I played a lot of ARAM and part of the fun is having no idea what the buttons do.

But when I'm playing ranked yeah, I usually try to learn them as much as I can.

curiousCat posted:

nope, I think I am too

Highfive.

This is me watching every replay: "Why didn't I AA the enemy laner? Look, they're right there. Right there. Kill him. Dodge that. There's only one angle that skill could have come from. Why. Why didn't you dodge, why."

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Chris de Sperg posted:

ok i found the account of the elite500 guy that reddit is trying to ape and i see how it works now but, as tends to be the case with build stuff, there's important components that are kinda missing in the discussion there:

1) elite500 predominantly runs Predator, not Electrocute or anything else
2) elite500's standard build is actually Oblivion Orb -> NLRs -> Deathcap -> Morello, which makes a shitton more sense.

the CDR build will give you more output in teamfighty and siege situation, the elite500 build is designed for you to run towards someone somewhere with predator speed (chances are they're still 'the enemy midlaner' though from the couple of replays i saw) and pick someone off 1v1 before they can respond. it's basically a easier-to-use version of the Spellbinder-core build (because Spellbinder has a massive invisible cooldown in practical terms). so technically the builds are situational but there will end up being one that works more for you than the other so whatever.

but the Oblivion Orb -> Morello part of the core is vital here. essentially, Oblivion Orb + Sorcs mean you're on the verge of dealing true damage to anyone who isn't building a ton of MR. it's a far greater multiplier to your early and mid-game damage than a NLR is, and it's a far, far, far greater multiplier to said damage than completing Deathcap is, even with Dark Seal stacks.

if anyone wants to stream and/or post replays in this thread i will probably review them maybe

I did some more digging and you are right and I am wrong. He changed his build. He used to rush death cap but no longer.

Here is his post announcing the build:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VladimirMains/comments/9an1km/warning_new_high_damage_build/

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 31, 2018

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Elentor posted:

Highfive.

This is me watching every replay: "Why didn't I AA the enemy laner? Look, they're right there. Right there. Kill him. Dodge that. There's only one angle that skill could have come from. Why. Why didn't you dodge, why."

Don't worry buddy, I'm with you. My stats page basically is "you really are bad as CSing at your rank, but you win games on magical grit powers"

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I'm loving horrible at CS, even when I practice in bot games and don't have to seriously worry about trading at the same time. Besides the fact that I probably need to spend many hours just practicing CS, are there any good tips/tricks /habits to learn?

edit: seriously, I have a friend who wants to do duo queue with me starting in two weeks when he gets back from a work trip and I really need help learning to CS. He's only silver 2 and I haven't done a single ranked game yet, but I'd really like not to be that bad.

Erdricks fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 31, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Erdricks posted:

I'm loving horrible at CS, even when I practice in bot games and don't have to seriously worry about trading at the same time. Besides the fact that I probably need to spend many hours just practicing CS, are there any good tips/tricks /habits to learn?

edit: seriously, I have a friend who wants to do duo queue with me starting in two weeks when he gets back from a work trip and I really need help learning to CS. He's only silver 2 and I haven't done a single ranked game yet, but I'd really like not to be that bad.

play support!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

That is fine by me. Enigma89 is my summoner. I get on by 630 7pm est.

Also I consider myself a fairly normal person and not a sperg so I am fairly fun to play with on voice coms. Maybe Milkman can vouch.

Well this thread escalated quickly.

The biggest issue I have with the duo-queue is it pulls me back to the depths of low gold where games are much more determined by random throws which isn't how my current solo games typically go.

I think the 1,000 game meme that has come out here digs on people because most folks have played that many games over maybe 3-5 seasons. The opportunity to play that many games now knowing what we have accumulated over that many years would probably push most of us to diamond elo.

The other thing is if you just played 50 less games (25 hours) and critically read the strategy of the game and watched guides you would probably be plat by now, and you will not achieve plat without taking the time to learn the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found out one of my team mates has 18,000 WoW Arena matches with one of his character and that honestly blew my mind because it's not like double healer comps are that much faster than LoL games.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
1000 games is a lot in a single season. The reason we are ragging on enigma is that he refuses to accept his ignorance and unwillingness to learn as a massive weakness in his play. That kind of attitude is wildly reviled by the LoL goons.

Also, incessantly comparing league to DotA as if that comparison loving matters at all to our discussion of league of legends.

Plopping into a thread of experienced lol players saying this is his casual game and then bitching about lack of progression and refusing to take responsibility for it by making petty, vapid excuses has rapidly made him a laughing stock.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

How Rude posted:

1000 games is a lot in a single season. The reason we are ragging on enigma is that he refuses to accept his ignorance and unwillingness to learn as a massive weakness in his play. That kind of attitude is wildly reviled by the LoL goons.

Also, incessantly comparing league to DotA as if that comparison loving matters at all to our discussion of league of legends.

Plopping into a thread of experienced lol players saying this is his casual game and then bitching about lack of progression and refusing to take responsibility for it by making petty, vapid excuses has rapidly made him a laughing stock.

drat man getting mad at video game comparisons. I duno what to say. I played one game for 10 years, it's hard to not compare it especially when this game started out as a dota copy. People are allowed to get frustrated even when they don't put the effort in. :shrug: I am just playing a video game and venting when the desired outcome isn't there.

Gotta believe in Positive Mental Attitude dude.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

drat man getting mad at video game comparisons. I duno what to say. I played one game for 10 years, it's hard to not compare it especially when this game started out as a dota copy. People are allowed to get frustrated even when they don't put the effort in. :shrug: I am just playing a video game and venting when the desired outcome isn't there.

Gotta believe in Positive Mental Attitude dude.

you're not just venting tho you're actively telling people I don't want your advice while also saying I deserve to be a higher rank than I am, which is really stupid

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Erdricks posted:

okay, i will give you the super secret tip to league of legends. this is the most powerful tip and will improve every aspect of your play -- the secret is that caster minions are strong as hell. to improve your CS, watch where the caster minions are attacking, this will give you an indication of what minions will die faster. to improve your lane control, compare numbers of caster minions. if you have more, you are pushing. if your caster minions have more HP than your opponents, your caster minions will last longer, which will result in you having more, making your lane eventually push out. if you start a fight where you have more caster minions in your minion wave, the caster minion damage can break a stalemate, which is one of the easiest ways to get an advantageous trade in top lane.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Preseason development update. They're separating out stats from rune paths and looking at making gold bounties a function of your total gold advantage instead of simply looking at your kills. The big change is that, pre-10 minutes, towers have a "barricade" that functions as a series of smaller health bars that you have to take off before you can damage the turret. Taking off one small health bar grants you some bonus gold. I think it's a neat idea to both keep towers from crumbling instantly while also rewarding playing up into the enemy tower earlier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Preseason development update. They're separating out stats from rune paths and looking at making gold bounties a function of your total gold advantage instead of simply looking at your kills. The big change is that, pre-10 minutes, towers have a "barricade" that functions as a series of smaller health bars that you have to take off before you can damage the turret. Taking off one small health bar grants you some bonus gold. I think it's a neat idea to both keep towers from crumbling instantly while also rewarding playing up into the enemy tower earlier on.

kingdom hearts health bubbles are the most satisfying thing so i definitely approve of the change aesthetically. it makes sense as it allows for a reward of early aggression without early aggression snowballing games into a hellscape where due to losing mid tower at 7 minutes the enemy jungler just has total control over the map and you can not really do a lot about it