Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Bought two pins from CromWorks, who I posted earlier itt. I'm a sucker for Jason images and the "slasher commander" is being released as a tank/tee, which I'm stoked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Rolo posted:

Gonna make one bomb rear end turkey this November.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’m a big ol’ World War 1 history dork, and this gigantic hardcover just arrived. I’m excited!:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't know Ryan Gosling fought in The Great War.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
i commissioned a painted portrait of my dog

what is money anyway

Old Story has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Aug 29, 2018

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Old Story posted:

i commissioned a painted portrait of my dog

what is money anyway

That is a good investment IMO. Our dog went to doggy heaven this spring and we commissioned a nice drawing of him in the middle of endless heavenly tennis balls to chew on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bought a new watch:

Next Thursday can't come soon enough.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought a new watch:

Wow, I really like that. Good get!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought a new watch:

If only you had a device that told you how soon next Thursday is coming :downsrim:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought a new watch:

Hamiltons are drat nice. Don't own one yet, but it might just be the brand on my next one.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m a big ol’ World War 1 history dork, and this gigantic hardcover just arrived. I’m excited!:

Motherfucker looks far too pleased.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Trabant posted:

Also like he's eaten the entire platoon's rations of christmas puddings. Bet this chap is working for the jerries.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Trabant posted:

If there's anything I learned from HH's 6-part, 30-hour podcast on WWI, Blueprint for Armageddon, it's that literally nobody in the entire war was as happy as this guy looks.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LadyPictureShow posted:

The Germans will never rustle his jimmies

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If there's anything I learned from HH's 6-part, 30-hour podcast on WWI, Blueprint for Armageddon, it's that literally nobody in the entire war was as happy as this guy looks.

God, yessss, that might be one of the best things I've ever listened to. Takes a crazy long amount of time to plow through, but Dan Carlin really goes out of his way to make you understand firsthand the horrors these poor bastards suffered through, and just how much the great war set the stage for the entire rest of the 21st century and modern society.

Can't echo this recommendation highly enough :black101:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Hardcore History is great, I'm way more into his ancient history episodes and can vouch that they are also amazing. My boyfriend got super into them while I was using them as nighttime wind-down white noise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It should be mentioned it can get kind of rough as Dan tends to Ramble, especially in long series that aren’t very focused. It can get frustrating.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
As someone who listens to a lot of podcasts at 120% speed and skips a lot of each episode, I listen to every second of Dan at 1x and have never skipped a moment. He's never dull, and his rambling tangents can be some of the most interesting bits.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bottom Liner posted:

As someone who listens to a lot of podcasts at 120% speed and skips a lot of each episode, I listen to every second of Dan at 1x and have never skipped a moment. He's never dull, and his rambling tangents can be some of the most interesting bits.

If you love boxing I guess,but man as someone who likes history I skip anything of his that isn’t focused as it’s the worst.

The one about the doomsday cult is great because it’s focused and doesn’t have room for him to ramble endlessly.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I’ll have to check this out, thanks!

The man on the cover was an American named Mortimer G. Thompson, so of course he’s nonplussed!

Speaking of miserable, I got another book called Poilu. It’s a war diary by a French Corporal named Louis Barthas. Poor bastard made it through four years of trench fighting, and the only people that weren’t miserable all the time were the higher ups. It’s both really interesting and horrifying. Dude also really loved the word ‘lugubrious’.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bottom Liner posted:

Same, I listen to audible at a full 2X but listen to Dan at 1.0 and think it's great.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I bought something to show my love of Freedom:

As a gag gift for a friend

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dan Carlin is pretty awesome. But if you decide you want to dig deeper into a subject, The Great Courses series on Audible is really good. But try to get one or two of them free with their trials because they can be pricey.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ChocNitty posted:

Dan Carlin is pretty awesome. But if you decide you want to dig deeper into a subject, The Great Courses series on Audible is really good. But try to get one or two of them free with their trials because they can be pricey.

Check your local public library, mine has a lot of those

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I don't have a pic, but I got a good deal on airfare to Austin in November. Southwest was having a sale and wasn't planning on going, I was trying to go to Nashville, but there was no cheap prices. So I found a good deal, $237 round trip, and booked it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Labor Day sales:

Samsung RF261BEAESR

Samsung ME16H702SEW

Got an Amazon Echo Show for free for buying these 2 items.

Also contributed to my sister's wedding registry. Put $ towards their trip to New Zealand & renting a camper to use as they explore the country.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I commissioned forum user loubot to paint my parent's pups.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

colas posted:

That is amazing :3:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

colas posted:

Link to their SAMart thread! If they have one!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

These are his reference photos.

the thread -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861158

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Bottom Liner posted:

Dan Carlin is the man. Has the best history podcast and doesn’t even have a degree.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

To Battle posted:

Dan Carlin is the man. Has the best history podcast and doesn’t even have a degree.

That's because he's not a historian, but a fan of history.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Less Claypool posted:

Well, Joe Rogan doesn't hold any degrees unrelated to fighting in an ultimate fashion, and yet he's responsible for this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xY_D8SMNtE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a history degree and I don't know poo poo. All that matters is if you're passionate about the subject.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

One day they'll offer a degree in PAWG studies.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a history degree and I don't know poo poo. All that matters is if you're passionate about the subject.

What was your thesis on?

Does your degree pertain to your career?

Just asking because I’d like one of them history degrees.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Armenian genocide and no it has nothing to do with my job. But like I said, I don't know poo poo so that's just on me.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mu Zeta posted:

Armenian genociderelocation and no it has nothing to do with my job. But like I said, I don't know poo poo so that's just on me.

Isn't that still a huge international issue with Turkey, and so many countries still refuse to recognize or use the g word to describe that genocide because of Turkish sensibilities? Like, I think it was German military observers and diplomats that first documented the killings and brought the issue to international attention.

/History derail

For content, went backpacking at Cumberland Gap National Park and picked up a mug at the visitors center to add to the national parks collection :D

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I love NHP stuff! I collect magnets because they travel better. Also I have visited like 60 sites...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ChocNitty posted:

Just asking because I’d like one of them history degrees.

Do not do this to yourself.