Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

business hammocks posted:

You can see his poo poo collapse on that live show he did on election night. I think he even says something like "all of my gags were built on the premise that America had a conscience."

Speaking of Colbert and misplaced faith in things, has he made any jokes about the recent Catholic scandals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I just watched an episode of Criminal Minds and yikes. The killers (oh sorry, I mean !UNSUBS!) turn out to be a Romani couple who kidnap little girls to marry their son. A loooot of use of the word gypsy.
At the end they find out that the mom was herself kidnapped and that they had a bunch of sons so there are even more sneaky gypsies out there stealing beautiful, blonde, blue eyed angels!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sarcopenia posted:

I just watched an episode of Criminal Minds and yikes. The killers (oh sorry, I mean !UNSUBS!) turn out to be a Romani couple who kidnap little girls to marry their son. A loooot of use of the word gypsy.
At the end they find out that the mom was herself kidnapped and that they had a bunch of sons so there are even more sneaky gypsies out there stealing beautiful, blonde, blue eyed angels!

It's mostly an American thing where we just don't really think about how gypsy is a slur at all. We have all these ~~artsy~~ white girls on Tumblr/Instagram/etc going on about their ~x~Gypsy Souls~x~ and each year there's a Gypsy Market down the road from me.

It's really weird looking back on my high school trip to France knowing that gypsy is a huge thing over there because our tour guide was constantly warning us to watch out for them so we didn't get all our things stolen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Schmeichy posted:

Speaking of Colbert and misplaced faith in things, has he made any jokes about the recent Catholic scandals?

I couldn’t find anything recent, but he talks to Mark Ruffalo about it in 2016 when he’s doing the press rounds for the Spotlight.

https://youtu.be/iSvNDlJVfTw

I suspect it’s probably causing him some turmoil.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
For years, I thought gypsy was just the term for them, never had an idea it was a slur of any kind. Gypped was also a term I don't think most people connected to the gypsies, nor did it have a negative connotation toward a certain people.

This could vary from state to state, though. I'm from Michigan, but Maine or Utah could see it very differently.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sarcopenia posted:

So was that "ripped from the headlines" when there was that story over in England I think it was like a decade ago, where CPS were accusing this Roma couple of kidnapping because their daughter had blonde hair and blue eyes, and it was this huge racist uproar, and then they did dna testing and found out that no, the blonde hair was just a recessive gene, and she was their daughter, and the government are horrible racists?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Len posted:

It's mostly an American thing where we just don't really think about how gypsy is a slur at all. We have all these ~~artsy~~ white girls on Tumblr/Instagram/etc going on about their ~x~Gypsy Souls~x~ and each year there's a Gypsy Market down the road from me.

It's really weird looking back on my high school trip to France knowing that gypsy is a huge thing over there because our tour guide was constantly warning us to watch out for them so we didn't get all our things stolen.

I know that the word doesn't have the same weight for most Americans but how on earth could you not see that it is extremely offensive to say "Yeah this historically persecuted group of people kidnap children". Usually they would have said "that's a myth/stereotype". Like I think they mention that it's an outdated practice which seeing as it's gross racist propaganda was jarring. I'm sure more Roma children have forcefully been ripped from their families than kidnapped children.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

So was that "ripped from the headlines" when there was that story over in England I think it was like a decade ago, where CPS were accusing this Roma couple of kidnapping because their daughter had blonde hair and blue eyes, and it was this huge racist uproar, and then they did dna testing and found out that no, the blonde hair was just a recessive gene, and she was their daughter, and the government are horrible racists?
The episode came out years before that but there was a reason why I used the words blonde angel because that was the first thing that came to mind.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love all the super dated ripped from the headline episodes of SVU. They're fun little time capsules to whatever the hell random pop culture stuff they decided to roll up in to a single episode. The best is the one where Paula Deen shoots Trayvon Martin.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I liked way back in the day towards the end of Vanilla L&O when they ripped the story about an NBA player charging into the stands to attack a heckler that through a drink (not only that, he started beating up the wrong guy) and instead turned it into a murder, but they didn't have the rights to NBA team likeness, so they made up all these team names for the episode.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
When things like this happen to me it's because I'm dreaming.

Schmeichy posted:

Here's something that has aged doubly badly/weirdly: the priest pedophile jokes in the film Tromeo and Juliet, which was written by James Gunn. I say weirdly because it was so drat over the top, like the rest of that movie. Anyway, yeah, Colbert. I don't know anyone who's really joking about it though. Twenty years ago there was a different attitude about jokes like that, and there also wasn't this feeling like it might get fixed or blow over. Now it's clear that that's not going to happen, it just kept going, and that's hard to laugh at.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think the big thing is that literal decades of deliberate coverups that led to thousands of children being raped just can't be funny. It was something you could make light of if the occasional priest is caught when there's a massive satanic panic going on. In that case the religious right was accusing people of doing things that it turned out were rampant in what may very well be the single most influential religious organization that has ever existed.

Granted I think another side of it was that comedy just kept getting continually edgier until people started saying yeah ok let's draw some lines as some things just aren't funny, ever.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I liked way back in the day towards the end of Vanilla L&O when they ripped the story about an NBA player charging into the stands to attack a heckler that through a drink (not only that, he started beating up the wrong guy) and instead turned it into a murder, but they didn't have the rights to NBA team likeness, so they made up all these team names for the episode.

I caught one at work today that seemed to be based on the accusations against Kobe Bryant but the guy in the episode was clearly modeled after Michael Jordan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They did a Michael Jordan one back in the day based on the conspiracy theory that his father was murdered because of Michael's gambling debts.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I imagine most L&O episodes are dated before they even hit the screen, but, that Gamergate episode really felt out of whack.
Mostly just the fact that they were actually able to accomplish their stated goal instead of impotently spamming the victim's twitter with pictures of her house and death threats.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

muscles like this! posted:

They did a Michael Jordan one back in the day based on the conspiracy theory that his father was murdered because of Michael's gambling debts.

Is that the one where the basketball player kills his pregnant girlfriend?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also a Kurt & Courtney Law and Order where Not Courtney was found dead in a trash bin. Not Dave Grohl did it, I think?It was over a dispute over the estate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

trickybiscuits posted:

Here's something that has aged doubly badly/weirdly: the priest pedophile jokes in the film Tromeo and Juliet, which was written by James Gunn. I say weirdly because it was so drat over the top, like the rest of that movie.

the thing is, while it hasn't been confirmed outright by him, it's sort of an open secret that Gunn was himself molested by a pedo priest (or at the bare minimum people he was very close to were)

the pedo jokes are pretty bluntly him trying to deal with his trauma through dark humor, not him being a fuckhead for the sake of it

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

trickybiscuits posted:

Seeing that today for the first time in forever made me realize that's where the hanging nerve part of my nightmares comes from.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

I love all the super dated ripped from the headline episodes of SVU. They're fun little time capsules to whatever the hell random pop culture stuff they decided to roll up in to a single episode. The best is the one where Paula Deen shoots Trayvon Martin.

SVU has always been a weird soap opera law and order, which is why it sucks it’s the last one standing. Classic and CI handled things a lot better. The 90’s episode where Classic had McCoy going after a gun company for a mass shooting comes to mind.

E:I mean, I know they both went bonkers but Classic kept it together for like 18 years and CI at least had the dignity to stop after season 10.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the_steve posted:

I imagine most L&O episodes are dated before they even hit the screen, but, that Gamergate episode really felt out of whack.
Mostly just the fact that they were actually able to accomplish their stated goal instead of impotently spamming the victim's twitter with pictures of her house and death threats.

that episode is incredible for many reasons including the climax involving a first-person sequence where ice-t has to shoot the guy holding the female game dev hostage

it's so stupid

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I know that the word doesn't have the same weight for most Americans but how on earth could you not see that it is extremely offensive to say "Yeah this historically persecuted group of people kidnap children".

Because Americans don't know that they exist as a distinct group, much less a persecuted one. We use 'gypsy' to mean any vagabond, or maybe Cher.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

trickybiscuits posted:

Here's something that has aged doubly badly/weirdly: the priest pedophile jokes in the film Tromeo and Juliet, which was written by James Gunn. I say weirdly because it was so drat over the top, like the rest of that movie. Anyway, yeah, Colbert. I don't know anyone who's really joking about it though. Twenty years ago there was a different attitude about jokes like that, and there also wasn't this feeling like it might get fixed or blow over. Now it's clear that that's not going to happen, it just kept going, and that's hard to laugh at.

Apparently Gunn knows some people personally who were victims of pedophile priests or has at least alluded to it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Speaking of Law and Order svu and Troma, there was an episode where one of the stars of Terror Firmer was not-Michael Jackson. In that ep the kid's parents were found out as coaching the kid for the claims, but the precinct was sure he had to be guilty anyways.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Not TV, exactly, but in some of his specials, George Carlin is very much "old man yells at cloud". I still think he's very funny, but the stuff just before his death feels has a very bitter and angry feeling to it. There's still some good stuff in there, but not enough of it.

It's not politics, but there's a stark turn when his wife dies. I wish he'd retired instead of producing more because the quality and tone had such a huge drat shift.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Byzantine posted:

Because Americans don't know that they exist as a distinct group, much less a persecuted one. We use 'gypsy' to mean any vagabond, or maybe Cher.
They just usually do at least a tiny bit of research on the cultures they encounter on the show. Like they try so hard to get actual rituals into the show to show how totally smart it is. Here they apparently took a cursory glance and just went with the first weird propaganda and nothing else. They were waaay more respectful of Palo religion when they did one referencing the Narco Satanists but I guess making GBS threads on an old African slave religion wouldn't fly in the US for very obvious reasons.
But yeah I'm being super weird for being so perplexed by a mishap in the stellar writing of Criminal Minds.

UNSUB

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

trickybiscuits posted:

I had a dream last night where my rear end turned into a ham and two people slowly ate me until I jumped out of a window to kill myself.

Anyway, The Critic episode when Duke runs for President makes me sad because it is what should have happened to Trump.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

SVU has always been a weird soap opera law and order, which is why it sucks it’s the last one standing. Classic and CI handled things a lot better. The 90’s episode where Classic had McCoy going after a gun company for a mass shooting comes to mind.

E:I mean, I know they both went bonkers but Classic kept it together for like 18 years and CI at least had the dignity to stop after season 10.

Classic’s doldrums hit their peak with the Milena Govich season. (15? Still had a great episode with Chevy Chase.) Right after that it got a lot better, and when EADA Cutter arrives he pulls that “Gunshow” poo poo all the time. It’s incredible.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Was there a reason the locked-room mystery in the bunker needed to be arranged to look like a suicide? Because it felt like the murderer just wanted to be a dick to police.
I just watched that out of curiosity.
The motive is a bit bonkers, it feels like the writer fell in love with the locked room setup and had to find a way to get the pieces to fit.

The motive was the washed up comedian was in an unhappy relationship with his much younger wife. Fearing divorce would bankrupt him he arranged for her to be murdered, so hires a hitman who gets caught.

Several years later he's released thanks to investigative journalism digging up a prostitute as a witness claiming he was with her just before the murder.

It's revealed she was paid off to act the role in an attempt to get the hitman free as an "apology" of sorts.

The recently released murderer seeks out the comedian and kills him, before bricking himself up in a wall to die and leaving an alibi about being killed at sea.

The rational was a bit forced, the guy sort of got driven mad by years inside so wanted things set right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the big thing is that literal decades of deliberate coverups that led to thousands of children being raped just can't be funny. It was something you could make light of if the occasional priest is caught when there's a massive satanic panic going on. In that case the religious right was accusing people of doing things that it turned out were rampant in what may very well be the single most influential religious organization that has ever existed.

It's very odd to look back at the massive backlash against Sinead O'Connor when she tore up a picture of the Pope and said "Fight the real enemy!" on SNL in protest over then-recent revelations about child sex abuse cover-ups in Ireland; I can understand Frank Sinatra getting angry about it because he was a grumpy, conservative-minded old Italian Catholic by that point in his life, but Madonna, who made her career courting controversy from religious groups and Catholic groups in particular? Much more eyebrow-raising. In retrospect, comes off a bit like she was feeling a bit threatened by O'Connor, whose provocative antics seemed to be coming from a much more conscientious place.

Of course I knew a guy once who claimed that most if not all such claims against Catholic paedophiles were some sort of scurrilous Protestant scheme designed to undermine Holy Catholic Ireland. I suppose it takes all kinds. You sometimes see all those Plastic Paddy organisations and Catholic interest groups in America insisting that all these accusations are just anti-Catholic muck-racking.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Sinead O'Connor was villified because she hijacked a live feed without warning in order to drive home a message, at a time where America's stance on dealing with poo poo was 'let's stop talking about that and turn on the tv'. She wasn't wrong and I never disagreed with her, but most people just didn't want to hear it because SNL was for the funny laff laffs with Adam Sandler. Even with her point being a noble one, she didn't stand a chance.

It turns out 'I just want to enjoy X without politics, or thoughts, or feelings, please just numb my soul until I can't feel existential pain anymore' is overall a trash opinion for lovely people.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Aug 30, 2018

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

It's been a while since I read Bossypants, but I seem to remember there being a particular section on feminism and other women in Hollywood/women in business in general that was a lot less "yeah I may be successful but there are some still a lot of fuckin' problem for women in the workplace" and more "eh well I guess the roadblocks weren't too bad, I got mine."

I feel like 30 Rock, in general, has definitely aged badly because of the weird, saccharine sort of meanness in most of its episodes.

I read it a couple of years back and don’t remember her having that sort of attitude. She definitely spoke at length about how hard it is for women to work in comedy, and how she does a lot of behind the camera stuff now because it means she can encourage other women.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tina Fey, 'Miss Bossy Pants' posted:

I have a suspicion – and hear me out, ’cause this is a rough one – I have a suspicion that the definition of “crazy” in show business is a woman who keeps talking even after no one wants to gently caress her anymore.

The only person I can think of that has escaped the “crazy” moniker is Betty White, which, obviously, is because people still want to have sex with her.

She isn't wrong.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ToxicSlurpee posted:

His humor was always cynical but over time he got less and less funny for pretty much the same reason I don't make fun of conservatives anymore. The reality got more absurd than the joke. It's depressing how prescient his old stuff was. As everything went continually more crazy he told fewer jokes and mostly just bitched.

Which was still entertaining in how insightful it was but at the same time was wrapped in a lot of "we became everything we hated and hope is dead."

I feel the same way and it's really disturbing to me tbh

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Sinead O'Connor was villified because she hijacked a live feed without warning in order to drive home a message, at a time where America's stance on dealing with poo poo was 'let's stop talking about that and turn on the tv'. She wasn't wrong and I never disagreed with her, but most people just didn't want to hear it because SNL was for the funny laff laffs with Adam Sandler. Even with her point being a noble one, she didn't stand a chance.

It turns out 'I just want to enjoy X without politics, or thoughts, or feelings, please just numb my soul until I can't feel existential pain anymore' is overall a trash opinion for lovely people.

I get what you're trying to say here, and turning a blind eye to the issues in the Catholic church was hosed up and looks extremely horrible in hindsight, but come on. You're talking about a coping mechanism. It's not just lovely people. It's people. Some of them are probably good (maybe)

And that video of John K posted last page was horribly uncomfortable to watch. Also I noticed his pants are too tight and I couldn't look away :cry:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Byzantine posted:

Yeah definitely, as a kid in America you dress up like 'gypsies' for Halloween. They're thought of as a group that anybody can join by dressing up like a fortune teller and traveling around with other people who made the same choice. I didn't know it referred to a specific ethnicity until I was in my 20s. America is slowly catching on, but it's kind of like racism against black people in those northern European countries that see maybe two black people a year. It's hard to learn about other cultures when you're never exposed to them and you just don't understand what the problem is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing is, while it hasn't been confirmed outright by him, it's sort of an open secret that Gunn was himself molested by a pedo priest (or at the bare minimum people he was very close to were)

the pedo jokes are pretty bluntly him trying to deal with his trauma through dark humor, not him being a fuckhead for the sake of it

They were part of a rant against a movie he didn't like.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dixville posted:

I feel the same way and it's really disturbing to me tbh

I get what you're trying to say here, and turning a blind eye to the issues in the Catholic church was hosed up and looks extremely horrible in hindsight, but come on. You're talking about a coping mechanism. It's not just lovely people. It's people. Some of them are probably good (maybe)

And that video of John K posted last page was horribly uncomfortable to watch. Also I noticed his pants are too tight and I couldn't look away :cry:

People are lovely yeah, just because a lot do it doesn’t make it less so. Numbers can’t paint over your flaws.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
fake edit: I see what catholic scandals you're talking about after a short google.

Making fun of idiots and monsters is not the same as turning a blind eye, dark comedy is the only way to cope with the lovely world for many people. It's not everyone's thing, but it's a thing. Definitely still make fun of people, *especially* conservatives, by pointing out how loving absurd/horrible they are.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Schmeichy posted:

He's still on a 2-week vacation, which tends to be when all this crazy stuff happens (including last Tuesday, AKA the "worst day" of Trump's presidency)

I mean, he's not on a vacation from telling jokes per se, but he's not on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sir Lemming posted:

He's still on a 2-week vacation, which tends to be when all this crazy stuff happens (including last Tuesday, AKA the "worst day" of Trump's presidency)

I mean, he's not on a vacation from telling jokes per se, but he's not on TV

lol I remember when Jon Stewart would complain about everything happening during the breaks.