Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

Even with the limited tickets that place is way too crowded, and if you can’t read Japanese you can only get so much out of it. The short movie they only show there is cool though

I can't read Japanese and I had a decent time there. Don't think I'd go back, but it was good.

Got lucky, though, and got the tickets online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
theres always a huge line at the icecream-melonpan stand for some reason

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

Even with the limited tickets that place is way too crowded, and if you can’t read Japanese you can only get so much out of it. The short movie they only show there is cool though

Magna Kaser posted:

I can't read Japanese and I had a decent time there. Don't think I'd go back, but it was good.

Got lucky, though, and got the tickets online.

Also can't read a word of Japanese and I had a pretty good time, only I would totally go back because the person I dragged with me was just rushing through to the end and I wanted to spend more time looking at the art on the walls and playing with that camera set-up. She hadn't seen any ghibli films until a day or two before we left for Japan though where as I have a fondness for all of it as a kid, but she did come in handy as I am not a drinker but I wanted one of the beer bottles with the special labels. Also BOO on them for not allowing adults in the nekobus ballpit area.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Do any of you know of any good Japan travel podcasts for first time tourists?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
No because most japanese travel things on youtube are complete and total garbage and this is a thing that happens a lot with japan. Sometimes I wonder if the same thing happens with Japanese people and France.

Somebody else may have a better suggestion!

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

Mons Hubris posted:

I don't remember the museum being overly crowded, but gift shop being kind of a poo poo show. I loving loved it when i visited in 2012 and was looking forward to weeping at all the displays again. :shrug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

No because most japanese travel things on youtube are complete and total garbage and this is a thing that happens a lot with japan. Sometimes I wonder if the same thing happens with Japanese people and France.

Somebody else may have a better suggestion!

Actually if you want suggestions for stuff to do in japan read ntans posts about onsens and skin this thread

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

More onsen talk, I used this one a couple days ago and realy enjoyed it: http://www.town.kaminokuni.lg.jp/hotnews/detail_sp/00000167.html
Years of mineral deposits have made parts of the bathing room look like a limestone cave and there are three different temperatures of tub so I didn't have to cook myself.

E: My pro tourist tip: bring a book to fill with stamps. Every tourist site has some sort of unique rubber stamp.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 28, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Do any of you know of any good Japan travel podcasts for first time tourists?

...I’m trying to wrap my brain around how and why somebody would make travel podcasts. Doesn’t seem to lend itself to the regularly-updated format, or would dive deeper to keep content going after a few episodes.

The travel and local websites - japan-guide.com, wikitravel, and local sites like Tokyo Weekender and Tokyo Cheapo - are plenty good to check for ideas and to see popular spots.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

...I’m trying to wrap my brain around how and why somebody would make travel podcasts. Doesn’t seem to lend itself to the regularly-updated format, or would dive deeper to keep content going after a few episodes.

The travel and local websites - japan-guide.com, wikitravel, and local sites like Tokyo Weekender and Tokyo Cheapo - are plenty good to check for ideas and to see popular spots.

I have a long commute to work, and podcasts make that tolerable. I figured I'd use that time productively to learn about tips for first time travelers to the country. I know I can read all that stuff, but my screen time is limited.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What brought you to Kaminokuni? I'd drop by there if I had a chance but it's not a common place.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
I'm heading to Kyoto in a few weeks and looking for an area to find a hotel. I'd like to find a place that within a 30 minute train ride to the Kyoto Convention center (preferably the Karasuma line...I think) and maybe near cool poo poo like bars, restaurants, generally cool poo poo.

Any ideas? Or suggestion on fun poo poo to do for an idiot dum-dum? I'm very confused and I don't want to bumble around annoying everyone.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ntan1 posted:

What brought you to Kaminokuni? I'd drop by there if I had a chance but it's not a common place.

Mostly just because it was along the route recommended on Japan Cycling Navigator. Today we're in Okushiri.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a recommended pocket wifi vendor for unlimited 4G or are they all pretty much the same and rolling the dice is safe?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Is there a recommended pocket wifi vendor for unlimited 4G or are they all pretty much the same and rolling the dice is safe?

Genki Mobile

https://www.genkimobile.com/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hi thread, I am in need of the help of someone traveling to Japan soon and returning to the US afterwards. I have some more details here in this SA Mart thread but long story short I can pay for a checked bag for someone in exchange for some help!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867345

I know it's kind of weird but this is my last idea, thanks thread!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What are some less touristy type of things I could do in Shibuya, or Tokyo in general I guess? I decided to get here a week before my friends arrive and wanted to explore and see the stuff I probably won't get to see when they get here and we're busy going to all the popular attractions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

What are some less touristy type of things I could do in Shibuya, or Tokyo in general I guess? I decided to get here a week before my friends arrive and wanted to explore and see the stuff I probably won't get to see when they get here and we're busy going to all the popular attractions.

I would recommend just walking around and exploring near some of the bigger stations. There's a lot you can do walking and exploring, whether really loosely on your own or following 'walking tour' guides available online (Tokyo Cheapo has a few mixed in here). Also, that much time is plenty to put towards museums in Tokyo or Yokohama, and there are plenty of those (Ueno Park has a number of good museums, the Tokyo Edo Museum comes highly recommended, and there are a bunch of good art museums too).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Spend every night in the Shibuya hub desperately hoping to get laid while claiming you're "people watching".

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stringent posted:

Spend every night in the Shibuya hub desperately hoping to get laid while claiming you're "people watching".

He said less touristy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nampa at the Postal Museum.

https://www.postalmuseum.jp/english/

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Get really drunk at a bar in Shibuya then go to the koban and ask to see "Hogo" 20 times.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This last week I got approval to take a month off in February and fulfill 14 year old me's wet dream of visiting Japan. I'll be going alone and would ideally live off of about $200 a day on average (I will be getting a $300 pre-tax per diem which should come out to about $200 after taxes). I've never been overseas and don't speak any Japanese so I have basically no idea where to start with planning this trip.

Any recommendations for resources to plan my trip? I'd be looking more for things like hikes and museums and stopping by the Japan Go Association and less on the anime and cat cafe front.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wikitravel is a good place to start looking up places. $200 a day is plenty, you won't be able to go crazy but you won't have a tight budget either.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Wikitravel is a good place to start looking up places. $200 a day is plenty, you won't be able to go crazy but you won't have a tight budget either.

Yeah, I'm not super worried about budget. I figured $200 would be comfortable and I planned already on socking some cash away so I can splurge and do some pricier things like maybe stay at a ryokan for a few days. I'm starting to dig into wikitravel and it seems like good info. It seems to be a little sparse on seasonal information. Should I just be less worried about things like castles or shrines being unavailable (or just significantly less interesting to visit) for tourists during the winter months?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Almost everything in Japan is open year round barring weekly closures and holidays, except of course seasonal outdoor activities.

If you want to know what's best in which season, Japan is big on seasonality and most cities/towns that cater to tourists have web sites that recommend activities for each season -- Google your destination+ "tourism" or check JapanGuide's page on the area for links to official tourism websites.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

February has some naked festivals and fire festivals. If you're lucky you could stumble upon Setsubun at a kindergarten and make some kids cry :devil:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've spent a month in Japan in February, didn't have any issues with things being closed. It's also sake making season, and while Japan is awful in summer it is lovely in winter.

Weather-wise, if you want real snow and cold you need to be further north and/or on the Sea of Japan side of Honshu. On the Pacific side it doesn't really get cold and you won't see much in the way of snow. Hokkaido will be frigid, Kyushu and Shikoku will be cool.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I've spent a month in Japan in February, didn't have any issues with things being closed. It's also sake making season, and while Japan is awful in summer it is lovely in winter.

Weather-wise, if you want real snow and cold you need to be further north and/or on the Sea of Japan side of Honshu. On the Pacific side it doesn't really get cold and you won't see much in the way of snow. Hokkaido will be frigid, Kyushu and Shikoku will be cool.

Any particular things you'd recommend that are particular to the winter/February? One of the many snow festivals I guess? Any recommendations on anywhere that where interesting hiking is possible during the winter?

Also, I realize this is really well trod ground but: Tattoos and onsen. I have a fairly small tattoo on my left forearm (I've been considering getting rid of it for a while but just haven't pulled that expensive trigger), it's about 1"x1.5", and I'm seeing really mixed messages about going to onsen with small tattoos. Some people say just go and play a dumb foreigner and they will let you get away with it if it small, other people say to use a tattoo seal or concealer, others say never do either of those and only go to places that say they are tattoo friendly. Any clarification on which works?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's tiny just use a bandaid mate

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This earthquake in Hokkaido has seriously affected me. I can't figure out how to flush this Toto when the power is out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:rip: copperhound's chapped rear end

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It’s affected me because my Hokkaido wife’s family’s line chat has exploded and blown up my phone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

holy poo poo
hokkaido landslides vvv

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
^^^
Jesus... it's been a rough week. Makes me feel like a bit of an rear end worrying about my vacation plans, but that being said...

What do y'all think are the odds I'll be able to land at KIX on Wednesday?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Depends, are you coming in on a floatplane?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Which flight specifically?

Watch closely, Kansai airport has begun running domestic flights, but has not begun running international flights yet. You may or may not be ok, but keep in mind that the only way to depart and arrive at the airport will be public bus and ferry to Kobe (so expect delay). Trains will almost certainly not be running.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

ntan1 posted:

Which flight specifically?

AC1951. As of right now, it looks like Sunday's flight is still scheduled. I'll be departing Vancouver on Tuesday and arriving at KIX on Wednesday, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

We were planning on spending a day in Kobe anyways, so that won't be a problem!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm traveling to Tokyo next year and will be there for five days. What would you guys recommend me doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm traveling to Tokyo next year and will be there for five days. What would you guys recommend me doing?

Googling for travel recommendations on Tokyo.