Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

garycoleisgod posted:

The slow speed chase is also silly from the viewpoint that the rebels can't escape, except people leave and return to the chase over the course of the movie.

Why did they guard the escape pods, rather than jamming as many people as possible in them and jumping them to lightspeed like Finn/Rose did? The First Order didn't track them.

And showing diminishing fuel levels was done well in Dunkirk, with the Tom Hardy plot.

There’s nothing wrong with the bare concept, and even the tactical stuff is fairly unimportant.

The issue is all characterization.

For example: does anyone at the end of the film know about Rose’s secret plan, which is the entire motivation for Poe’s mutiny? It’s completely unclear. Nobody seems to question how Rose and FN got inside an imperial shuttle.

Leia gave her inspirational speech about not trying to look like a hero but, from Poe’s perspective, Holdo has just killed everyone with a bad gambit - the assumption, now obviously false, that “the First Order was tracking our big ship. They're not monitoring small transports.” Poe has no clue that his bad opsec is why the cloaking failed. He should still be furious at Holdo.

Also, again, it does appear that Holdo deliberately sacrificed the crews of the two smaller ships by withholding information. This means that Poe was right and should still be pissed:

“We had a fleet, now we're down to one
ship and you've told us nothing!”

So, like, is Leia aware of this? If you track the characters, it never clear what they actually know. Rey certainly has no clue what’s up at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I acknowledge that to some extent the figures are skewed because I think TFA actually over-performed most expectations but the fact is that when your second movie's take drops three-quarters of a billion dollars from the first, even if it has done very well by any other metric (it was still the number-one movie of the year), it still plays into that particular narrative you mentioned earlier.

It's happened to both trilogy "sequels" previously. It's nothing new. Both ESB and AotC came in much less than their predecessors. The third movies then ticked up a tad bit more than the middle episodes. Here's the adjusted numbers precentages:

AotC earned 61% of TPM ($482/786M)
ESB has earned 55% of ANH ($731/1,323M)

for comparison

TLJ earned 62% of TFA ($626/1,002M)

Clearly ESB is much bigger failure, being unable to live up to ANH. Your first movie is a massive hit and you barely make half the money it did? Shameful. If ESB was truly a good movie it would have taken in way more. :raise:

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 30, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In decades past it was understood and accepted in the industry that sequels were not expected to make quite as much as their predecessors, it was a fact of life. When something fresh and new hits the scene, and audiences respond to it, it's not realistic to expect to fully reproduce those results with a sequel because by definition you're giving people something less original than what came before.

When exactly that changed I'm not sure, but now it's almost like a sequel has to surpass the original or it's used as a justification to shut the series down or do something drastic like a reboot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

If ESB was truly a good movie it would have taken in way more. :raise:

This is true, more money = better than, which is why fans are still buzzing about the best movie of all time *checks notes* James Cameron's "Avatar".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

When exactly that changed I'm not sure, but now it's almost like a sequel has to surpass the original or it's used as a justification to shut the series down or do something drastic like a reboot.

The only trilogy that occurs to me which successively increased its take with each instalment is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Contrast with the Hobbit where all three did more or less the same with the first one being a little bit higher than the other two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only trilogy that occurs to me which successively increased its take with each instalment is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Contrast with the Hobbit where all three did more or less the same with the first one being a little bit higher than the other two.

The Alien series consistently earned in the 150-180 range all the way through Resurrection, they just kept increasing the budget so they were deemed less and less successful because there was less profit. Resurrection still made like 160 million(not bad in 1997) but by then the budget was 50+ million so that was considered not enough.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The scientifically conducted polls are a more reliable measure than the fundamentally self-selecting sample that we know was influenced by a campaign to try and give one particular view a disproportionate amount of votes. Even if all those new Rotten Tomatoes accounts were actual people (I think this is very doubtful but whatever) their sample would still be heavily skewed by that campaign and therefore worthless.

Also surely TLJ's drop in takings was due to people not liking TFA by the episode IX logic?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The Alien series consistently earned in the 150-180 range all the way through Resurrection, they just kept increasing the budget so they were deemed less and less successful because there was less profit. Resurrection still made like 160 million(not bad in 1997) but by then the budget was 50+ million so that was considered not enough.

Yeah it probably broke even or a small profit on those numbers.

Tho we never see number from rights related to Home media and cable.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Rey certainly has no clue what’s up at the end.

... you know, it never occured to me how weird things must look from Rey's point of view.

"Hey guys, I'm back! Things didn't work out the way I planned, but Snoke's dead, his flagship's in chaos, so things are looking pretty good... Guys? Guys, where's our fleet?

...what did I miss?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Angry Salami posted:

... you know, it never occured to me how weird things must look from Rey's point of view.

"Hey guys, I'm back! Things didn't work out the way I planned, but Snoke's dead, his flagship's in chaos, so things are looking pretty good... Guys? Guys, where's our fleet?

...what did I miss?"

It’s not just her; it’s everybody. Chewbacca and R2 probably know even less than Rey does. FN and Rose have no clue why the half the ship just blew up. (Phasma has no clue, and evidently blames them for the explosion.)

Is Kylo aware that his mom’s not dead?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Is Kylo aware that his mom’s not dead?

Yeah, he can still see shes on Force Whatsapp.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah, he can still see shes on Force Whatsapp.

“Benjamin, for God’s sake, put a shirt on when you call.”

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“Benjamin, for God’s sake, put a shirt on when you call.”

is "Ben" short for Benjamin in the star war world?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

is "Ben" short for Benjamin in the star war world?

Nah, it's short for Obi-Wan

They named their kid Obi-Wan Solo despite having met him for all of ten minutes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They should've just called him Jason Jacen, to be honest.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Nah, it's short for Obi-Wan

They named their kid Obi-Wan Solo despite having met him for all of ten minutes

he could have hung around at family gatherings as a ghost or something

i wonder how present anakin, yoda and obi-wan were between ROTJ and TFA. like what's stopping Anakin from showing up in Kyle's bedroom and talking some sense into him? like he must be massively shaking his head at his loser grandson worshipping his helmet

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The scientifically conducted polls are a more reliable measure than the fundamentally self-selecting sample that we know was influenced by a campaign to try and give one particular view a disproportionate amount of votes. Even if all those new Rotten Tomatoes accounts were actual people (I think this is very doubtful but whatever) their sample would still be heavily skewed by that campaign and therefore worthless.

Also surely TLJ's drop in takings was due to people not liking TFA by the episode IX logic?

i imagine disney's internal market research people have a pretty good idea of the real state of opinion on the last jedi. if not they must really suck at their jobs!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

he could have hung around at family gatherings as a ghost or something

i wonder how present anakin, yoda and obi-wan were between ROTJ and TFA. like what's stopping Anakin from showing up in Kyle's bedroom and talking some sense into him? like he must be massively shaking his head at his loser grandson worshipping his helmet

I love the image of a bunch of Force Ghosts gathered around the punch bowl and lamenting the faults of today's youth

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hey remember when Chewbacca the smuggler was all howling with rage over Han’s death, and shot Kylo in the gut with a space-elephant gun. Then in this film he just unquestioningly goes on Rey’s mission to save Kylo.

And then at the end, when they totally have the drop on the baddies, Chewbacca doesn’t blow up the entire First Order leadership when they’re sitting there in Kylo’s personal ship and not even moving.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He scored some good weed from the caretakers on Ach-To and it helped him mellow out.

It's in the deleted scene where they go to the party.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

I love the image of a bunch of Force Ghosts gathered around the punch bowl and lamenting the faults of today's youth

Qui-Gon would be there too and he would spend the whole time dunking on anakin probably

"you stupid poo poo i stuck my neck out for you"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I quite liked the little touch in avengers where thor speaks tree because he did a class at university, is wookie an easy language for Rey to pick up? Or does she mainly communicate with Chewbacca through like the offering of treats or something?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chewbacca is helping to save Kylo because Chewy was named as executor to Han’s estate and Kylo inherited the Falcon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teek posted:

It's happened to both trilogy "sequels" previously. It's nothing new. Both ESB and AotC came in much less than their predecessors. The third movies then ticked up a tad bit more than the middle episodes. Here's the adjusted numbers precentages:

AotC earned 61% of TPM ($482/786M)
ESB has earned 55% of ANH ($731/1,323M)

for comparison

TLJ earned 62% of TFA ($626/1,002M)

Clearly ESB is much bigger failure, being unable to live up to ANH. Your first movie is a massive hit and you barely make half the money it did? Shameful. If ESB was truly a good movie it would have taken in way more. :raise:

Counterpoint: The Avengers and Marvel movies keep making more and more money with each subsequent release, unlike the new Star Wars films (and they're both made by the same company!); but it's always entertaining to watch Disney Star Wars fans be in denial about the awfulness of the recent films. Some of you people still believe a roughly $800 million drop (not to mention that historic second weekend drop of TLJ) between TFA and TLJ doesn't reflect the divisiveness of the film, or that it's anything but a disaster by Disney's standards. They simply didn't plan this out like they did with Marvel, and Kathleen Kennedy is certainly no Kevin Feige.

And TLJ was so bad that they brought back JJ to course-correct away from that mess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JJ finally agreed to do it. I’m sure they would have let him do 8 if he wanted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slutitution posted:

Counterpoint: The Avengers and Marvel movies keep making more and more money with each subsequent release, unlike the new Star Wars films (and they're both made by the same company!); but it's always entertaining to watch Disney Star Wars fans be in denial about the awfulness of the recent films. Some of you people still believe a roughly $800 million drop (not to mention that historic second weekend drop of TLJ) between TFA and TLJ doesn't reflect the divisiveness of the film, or that it's anything but a disaster by Disney's standards. They simply didn't plan this out like they did with Marvel, and Kathleen Kennedy is certainly no Kevin Feige.

And TLJ was so bad that they brought back JJ to course-correct away from that mess.

1) Marvel markets the MCU as a bunch of different franchises that occasionally crossover in Avengers, not one ongoing series.

2) Didn't the original director of IX leave long before VIII was released?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

1) Marvel markets the MCU as a bunch of different franchises that occasionally crossover in Avengers, not one ongoing series.

MCU is one homogenous series and is marketed as such.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Waffles Inc. posted:

Qui-Gon would be there too and he would spend the whole time dunking on anakin probably

"you stupid poo poo i stuck my neck out for you"

Amazingly despite 30 years of shared afterlife Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan still get into arguments about Syfo-Dyas.

"Come on, Syfo-Dyas? Si-de-ous? I should have seen it at the time!"

"No I'm telling you, I met that guy once at an Order barbecue. He was very, definitely real."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

They simply didn't plan this out like they did with Marvel, and Kathleen Kennedy is certainly no Kevin Feige.

I think this notion that Marvel's got some intricate grand plan is very overrated. It's an incredibly clever bit of marketing in itself because so many people have bought into it; people are invested enough in the idea that every movie arbitrarily "matters" that they'll go to see them on that basis alone. People probably went to see Ant-Man 2 because they thought it would follow-up Avengers 3, not because they're particularly interested in Ant-Man.

I mean, look at Avengers 2. They basically let Whedon ignore Iron Man 3 for that so he could write Tony Stark the same way he did in Avengers 1. They clearly had big plans for the Inhumans and then shunted them off to television.

I'd be surprised if Feige's "master plan" amounts to anything more than a list of movie titles on a poster on the wall of his office with the absolute broadest strokes of a plot laid out. Of course ever MCU movie isn't painstakingly and intricately planned out in the service of this grand narrative, but the fact that so many people are convinced otherwise is proof that the marketing's worked.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 30, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

Amazingly despite 30 years of shared afterlife Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan still get into arguments about Syfo-Dyas.

"No I'm telling you, I met that guy once at an Order barbecue. He was very, definitely real."

Syfo Dyas was a real person, they found his body in Clone Wars.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Slutitution posted:

Counterpoint: The Avengers and Marvel movies keep making more and more money with each subsequent release, unlike the new Star Wars films (and they're both made by the same company!); but it's always entertaining to watch Disney Star Wars fans be in denial about the awfulness of the recent films.

My listed numbers were American box office only, since international is a much different beast this last decade than when the OT and PT originally came out. MCU are doing great worldwide, it's a bit more mixed if you just stick to American BO.

Looking at the adjusted American grosses, Marvel's follow up sequels are solid but nothing amazing, either barely making more or making less than the first. Age of Ultron made less than the first Avengers, Iron Man 2 made less than IM 1, Thor 2 made $20M more than 1, Guardians 2 $18M more than 1, Ant-Man and Wasp $10M more than 1. You then have the rare sequel which makes a lot more, like Winter Soldier which was much better received than the first movie. Then you have some third movies which hit big, like IM 3, Ragnarok and Civil war. Finally you have the titles which hit the right audiences like Black Panther. So in total it's a much more mixed bag than that and not tied into any major growth over time. The MCU's highest grossing movie adjusted gross wise is still Avengers, and it came out in 2012. Black Panther and IW are now just finally getting close to matching it and they still will fall short.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We were just asking about MCU fatigue after ... civil war ?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Harime Nui posted:

And I'm sure Yoda has all kinds of flattering tales of Jedi to gossip about

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

MCU is one homogenous series and is marketed as such.

:shuckyes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

Syfo Dyas was a real person, they found his body in Clone Wars.

Was it a clone of Sheev

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Was it a clone of Sheev

No, that's Sheeev you're thinking of.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"I have all these memories..... none of them really happened. I don't know what that means."

"It means that only you can decide who you are, Syfo."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's Sifo-Dyas, by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have altered the spelling. Pray I do not alter it any father.